Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 3,077
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 516 | Hads: 2,316
4.35/5  rDev -2%

This beer pours a very clear amber with tiny bubbles, a 1 fingered head and minimal lacing. The smell is of sour cherries. For being barrel aged so long you can barely taste that flavor because the sour flavor is so powerful, yet good, I really enjoy this bottle. A very slick mouthfeel and for a sour certainly one of the more drinkable beers I have had. (355 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -13.1%

Sour Bomb! Add sour to sour and you get this beer. Newest batch, on tap at O'Briens SD for the 15th annv party. Not much of a nose, funk and brett a bit. Would go killer with food. Also very interested to see how this will age. Should the texture soften and the brett and other funk develope this could turn out to be something very special. (341 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours a bright gold with medium intensity and just a touch of haze. An average pour provides no head to speak of. A thin layer of carbonation forms on the top of the brew a few minutes after the pour. Of course, with no head, no retention follows. It does seem to muster some lacing though.

S - Some sour / tart fruit comes through at first. Mostly green apple and lemon. Then it quickly turns to a musty aroma which is quite nice. Hay pops in to accompany the musty aromas. Finishes up with notes of ferrmenting fruit and wood.

T - Pow! Tart green apples and lemon burst onto the palate first. They really do a number on the taste buds. There is a huge amount of eathiness that follows and plays a wonderful companion to the fruitiness. Kind of reminds me of the forest after a nice hard rain. Wet leaves and wood come through first. The wood flavor starts to resemble oak at this point. Some hay and barnyard flavors bring up the rear. Splendid.

M - Medium bodied with minimal carbonation. Finish is tart, dry, sour, a little sweet...it really cover most of the bases and it hangs on for dear life as long as it can.

D - Drinkability is great. This brew really hits all the characteristics I would look for in a wild ale. The oak adds a nice touch that comes through just stong enough to compliment the other flavors. You would think the low alcohol would make this one really easy to put away but this is one that should be savored and enjoyed slowly. Another home run for Russian River. (1,501 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours a lightly hazy dark yellow with a mild white head.

S: Sour apples, light malt, similar to a gueuze, light funk to it.

T: Just a beautiful beer. Light fermented fruit plays with the acidity in a complex, great mix. Almost a champagne quality to it, reminded me a lot of Cantillon with the high acidity. If I tasted this blind I would have thought it a Belgian gueuze, no doubt about it.

M: Very sour, not as dry as I thought it would be, it has a light sweetness that carries it through. What I want in a mouthfeel for a wild ale.

D: This is really good. Had to almost chug my first one since I had to order 3 beers at a time and couldn't carry them all. The second time around I got to really get into the beer. This is my first time having this one, and it shows Vinnie really knows what he's doing. This with Supplication are my favourite RR sours. Edit 2/2010 - I just had some batch 2 of this that may be the best beer I've ever had, the complexity and flavour is incredible and delicious. (1,028 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -33.6%

375 mL bottle tried 20 Sep 2008.

Poured into a tulip glass. Very small white head, well carbonated. Slightly cloudy bright orange gold color. Smells quite tart, sour, with cherry pits and stone fruit. Good up to this point, then the wheels come off while tasting. Starts sour, the middle is tart and the finish is sour. This overwhelming sourness invades my mouth and beats my tastebuds senseless. Any remaining functioning tastebuds are mopped up by the long lingering sour aftertaste. All of my orifices are puckered by this assault. There are probably some other underlying flavors but they are lost to me.

I can see why some people might like this, and I respect that it's a difficult style to make, but holy cow... (721 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 750 into a tulip glass. Hazy straw color with some mottled white lace. Dry citrus aroma with yeasty funk. Starts off with a punch of tart unripe raspberry and citrus. It shows a lot of complexity mid-palate, with orange rind and tropical fruit unfolding into some barnyardy funk, and finishing musty with a touch of aged cheese. Dry throughout with lingering tartness.

The closest thing to a Belgian Gueze I've had from an American brewer. One of those beers that keeps you guessing, and sipping. Impressive complexity for the ABV. Although this may be one of the most impressive beers I've had in terms of brewing perfection, the price is tough to overlook. I'd sooner spend $24 on a good pinot or zin. (718 characters)

Batch 003 - 750ml

A - Cloudy yellow hazy pour. Lovely swirling sediment with a light head that dissipates rather quickly.

S - Funk, Brett, Barnyard, Lemons, Apples.

T - Funky in a good way. A bit like funky apple cider with lemons. Very subtle and enjoyable sweetness to balance the sour. Ends dry and tart. Slight hints of stinky tofu for those who have had the pleasure (or displeasure) of eating it.

M - Great carbonation and mouth feel from the bottle conditioning. Kinda champagne like without the intense carbonation.

D - RRBC makes great sours and this is no exception. Wish this were available all the time. Will I ever have a bad beer from them? (659 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

I'd had this beer before, and enjoyed it immensely, at two different GABF's. It was even better in the bottle - super sour, uncompromising, and delicious. Very gueuze-like, which is not such a stretch once you read the description of this beer.

It poured a hazy straw color with an exuberant head which stuck around forever. Aroma was very gueuze-like, and it was a touch champagne-like, but also rough, chalky, and very citrus-y. Not understated like Cantillon - this stuff is assertive, very sour, not overly sweet (like Berlinerweisse) with a very rough and chalky mouthfeel. If Cantillon was in Michigan rather than Brussels, then this is what gueuze would be known to taste like. In addition to rough-ness, mouthfeel is also very carbonated.

Flyer bought this in CA, and brought it over for a tasting at my house with SurlySober which also included Allagash Black, Gouden Carolous, and Westvleteren 12 (quite respectable, eh?). (935 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to BrewerB for this one!

750 ml cage-corked bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Pours hazed/clouded golden with a pillowy white head that thins and stays. Uneven rings of lacing stick.

The smell is of lemon, sour/tart with oak and some grassy notes.

The taste is of tart lemon, very funky, acidic and oaky - some vanilla. Bready with fruitiness that becomes peach-like, then orange (with some banana and coconut). Enough malt is there to balance things out. Complex with an underlying funky sourness that works very well!

There's an effervescence to it while maintaining a nice body.

Funky, complex, nicely done! (624 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

Purchased directly from RRBC. Batch 003. Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into my NBB snifter. I miss the older style 375ml bottles that they used to have for their sours but the extra size here more than makes up for that. The label has the usual RRBC on the back - wish more breweries took the time and care to do stuff like that. It was a hazy golden yellow color. It had tons of carbonation. No lacing. I poured slowly, as suggested on the label, so as not to disturb the yeast so the head was quite small. Fizzy, white and gone in a flash.

The aroma was FUNKY (oh yeah). Barnyard, wet horse blanket and lemon. I love sour beer aromas and this one was excellent. The taste was a sour bomb with a carb attack to boot. Mouth puckering sour from start to finish. Vinegary and funky. Ends very dry but then lets up right before being too dry. Mouthfeel is exceptional with great carbonation and acidic bite.

Overall, another classic from Russian River. I like Supplication and Temptation a tad better but this one is outstanding. Got another one that I'm going to age a bit and see how it tastes in about a year. Highly recommend. Wish I could get more of it.

**RE-SAMPLE** Had my aged one on 9/14/09. Poured into a Duvel tulip so even more carbonation this time. Head was larger and stuck around a bit longer. Aroma was still funky but was more classic brett with the lemon and barnyard toned down a little but still great. Taste was also still amazing. Would leave scores the same if re-reviewing. (1,514 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -26.1%

375ml bottle from Capone's. My 100th rating of a beer brewed in California. Pours hazy straw yellow with no head. The aroma is an aggressive blend of citrus rind, hay or straw, funky cheese. The flavor is very tart and yogurt-ish. Just a little bit if malty sweetness left. Medium body with tons of carbonation and a bone dry finish. (333 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Hazy straw color. No head.

S - Wet dog in a phone booth. Acidic presence with a hint of lemon rind.

T - Like biting into a whole lemon. Very sour and funky. Has a the complexity of a wine with fruit and straw notes. Dry oak finishes.

M - Acidicm body with light carbonation. Finishes very dry on the pallet.

O - Amazing. Perfect. Wish I had someone to share this with. (380 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

Had the most recent bottling

A- golden full of carbonation.

S- this is going to be sour, you know what to expect when you smell this brew.

T- just as suspected pucker up this is sour, but also great, this is my favorite of all RR barrel sours.

M- very carbonated and full of long lasting flavor, atomic warhead sour!!

D- ok, it is very sour and i can see why some of the reviews say it is too sour but i feel this is exactly what it is suposed to be, a sour wild ale, this ids the style, great brew (504 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

Batch 003 in a 750mL bottle. Poured a hazy yellow with a fizzy head. Smell was vinegar & citrus with slight barnyard funk. The taste was menacing: Wonderful bitterness the entire duration of the sip. Tastes of funk & sour lemon. Drinkability was very good. I love sours because you get vast amounts of flavor for low levels of alcohol. (335 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

Batch 003. Poured into a goblet. Has a beautiful golden color with a slight haze. A fizzy white head forms and dissipates rather quickly.

Incredibly funky smell. Sour lemon and citrus, horsey funk and barnyard, acetic acid.

Very sour on the palate. Funky barnyard, lemon, and vinegar. Lots of prickly carbonation.

Great beer. This was worth the wait to try. Hopefully I can manage to stay away from my other bottle for a few years and let it age. (450 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2%

750ml bottle (batch 003) poured into my Russian River "Barrel Aged Ales" goblet (pretty ugly design though). Beatification is a spritzy gold with a large white head that leaves scattered lace. A nice crackle to the head, even though it is pretty quick to dissipate, impressive for what essentially is a gueze.

Smell is very pithy and mineral laden, lemon tonic water, must and a touch of vinegar, very nice.

Taste is wild for sure, wow. I had batch 2 before and it really blew my mind, and this one really lives up to my high expectations. Very tart and complex, citrus and a bit of sugar, though the sweetness is quickly cut by the sour, dry finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and crisp, super dry, light body.

Drinkability is pretty high if your a fan of gueze, in that I wouldn't mind have this on a regular basis. Still, the extreme acidity makes it a very slow sipper and not something I want more then one bottle of in an sitting. Ever since I heard about their plans to make a 'sonambic', I knew I had to get my hands on some. While it's undoubtedly awesome, it's prohibitively expensive, which is really a shame, as it mean I'll have to really hoard my reaming bottles for special occasions, like another Christmas! This should age very well, if I can manage to hold onto it that is!!! (1,295 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%

I split this with my brother. We had to decant it before it started spraying. I'm glad we took that measure so that we did not lose any of this.

Pours a hazy light amber with a good head. Not much retention or lacing, but enough to get by. The smell is of tart fruit and just a general funky scent. Kind of like apple cider or some other cider. I actually do not have much experience with wild ales, but I really dig this. Some that I've smelled are a bit off-putting, but this one really smells good. The taste is really great. You could sort of describe it as sweet-tarts or pixie sticks. Also, there's a bit of a white wine kind of taste, white grapes and barrels. But there's a rush of sourness that is well-balanced with sweetness. There is a bit of a tart finish, but some brett beers are too tart. This one is just perfect. You get a good rush of carbonation along with the taste. I could really sip on this beer for hours and hours. The flavor is great, and the sourness will force you not to drink at a rate that will let the alcohol catch up to you. (1,060 characters)

Reviewed on 7/26/08. On tap at Blind Tiger. Pours a clear orange with no head. Aroma is sour and quite funky (barnhouse funk, horseblanket). Flavor of initial tartness, sweet tart candies. The flavor is less funky than the aroma. This is sour but not puckering sour, so it is quite drinkable for its style. Awesome sour that I can't believe I got the chance to try on tap!
8/4/8/4/17 (4.1/5) (391 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy straw body with no real head or no lacing

S - Mostly funky with some pleasant mild sour notes. Some small acidic notes.

T - Much more sour and funky than the nose would suggest. Acidic notes can be found and carries a wine flavor as well. Some citrus notes come

M - Medium body with light carbonation. Kind of a chalky moutfeel.

D - Pretty easy to drink and damn enjoyable. Some more age on it and it'll probably get much much better. (448 characters)

Batch 002

A - Pours a brilliantly clear golden yellow, orange with a small wisp of head that disappears immediately without any bubbles. The color is very strange and reminds me of Red Bull.

S - Tart, acidic and funky. Brett with horse blanket as it warms, tart white grapes, sour lemons.

T - Mouth puckering tartness, acidic, white grape, grapefruit, green apple and a lingering sour lemon flavor that stays on the tongue.

M - Light to medium body with very low carbonation. Biting acidity that clenses the palette.

D - Very tasty. Much more complex than just barnyard Brett. (581 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

batch 003 750 ml bottle, bought nov 08, from city beer store, SF, CA...

a) golden rich color, with just a hint of a head when first poured into a duvel glass, even and consistent

s) alot of the brett pungent-ness on the nose. hints of citrus, wood.

t) a flavor explosion, the spontaneous fermentation allows for a different flavor in every sip. definite nuance of barrel, as well as orange, and lemon... obviously the puckered brett flavor, with very little sweetness

m) like i said before, it explodes in your palate... the finish leaves you with the sweaty sweet flavor in your mouth

d) the finish is very smooth, so despite being heavy on the brett sourness, you are ready for more immediately (702 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours exquisitely into a Duvel glass. It looks like Duvel, actually--deep, dark sunshine golden with a wonderfully retentive soapy white head.

Smells potent, very tart. Redolent lemons, yeast, orange tic tacs, and pink starburst. Very intense, very sweet and sour.

Tastes even stronger than it smells. Jesus! The sourness is amazing, so strong it should be synthetic but also smooth enough to drink. Likening it to other flavors is sort of pointless, since it doesn't quite taste like anything I've ever come across before, not even very sour candies. It's just a hugely intense, unique sourness backed up by smooth, lightly spicy yeast. (641 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -9.2%

I poured Beatification into a snifter. It has the thick, velvety head that seem to crown every Russian River brew. It's quite cloudy, and glowing yellow.

Smells like champagne and Belgian yeast. Extremely tart!

Taste is unbelievably tart, like sweet tarts mixed with Granny smith apples. I can't penetrate the tartness to get a feel for the underlying complexity; I literally sweat at the temples when I drink this beer. I would say it's a taste you'll either love or hate, but I'm actually pretty on the fence about it.

The low ABV doesn't help drinkability much. The tartness is far too strong to make big swigs possible.

I'm glad I tried it. I have one aging (we'll revisit in a year) but I doubt I'll be laying down $23 for another bottle. (747 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +8.8%

Batch #002, poured into a RR chalice.

Pale straw color, slightly hazy. Half-finger snow white head has little staying power, fading into a thin cap and collar in seconds. Funk hits the nose as soon as the cork pops. Once it hits the glass, grapefruit, grass, herbs, spice and lemon come out. Lemony, acidic sour bite on the palate first. After a while more erth, grass, spice and funk come through. Pronounced oakiness as well. Mouthfeel is tart, light and refreshing. I could drink this stuff like water.

Not particularly good looking, but everything else about this beer is spectacular. Complex, yet crisp and refreshing; Highly recommended. (645 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Corked & caged 375ml bottle.
Batch 002
6% abv

Pours an opaque straw gold..small head of bright white foam doesn't stick around long.
yikes...absolute tart revelry..noxious fruit acidity hits the nostrils as soon as the cork pops off.. i'm in for a treat, i think..
Flavor is straight-up earthy malt sourness, with a definite funk, holy cow. Sourness is on full display, as the acidic citrus hits every tastebud and tells them exactly how it's going to be.
Ripe grapes & pungent lemon mixed with a light woody taste on the finish. Dry as dry.

This defines extreme beer, another good brew from Russian River. (608 characters)

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company