2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,633 | Reviews: 496 | Show All Ratings:
GbVDave

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a St. Feuillien chalice. Extra special thanks go out to HeatherAnn for this one!

Batch 002

A: Pours a hazy, glowing, gold color with a small and quite bubbly head that recedes all too fast. The head melts down to a whispy skim and bubbly ring that leaves a hand full of small lacy spots.

S: The first whiff is of vinegar. As my nose became accustomed to the sourness I began to pick up notes of tart citrus, oak, and brett funk.

T: Tart and sour! As the shock to the tongue began to wear off I noticed subtle nuances of citrus (both sweet and sour), earthy hops, oak, and at the finish, some toasted malt.

M: Tart and pucker inducing. I kept running my tongue around the inside of my mouth to make sure none of the sourness went to waste.

S: Pretty damn amazing. I'm constantly amazed at my palates' ability to evolve. A year and a half ago I would've sworn this was spoiled. Now, I'm loving the sour beers!

04-29-2008 22:43:04 | More by GbVDave
dill

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

poured from a bottle into a RR tulip.

A - golden and dense, a bit like honey. a bit of bubbles form at the top once it's poured but there is really not much of a head to speak of.

S - lots of vinegar and oak.

T - not as sour as i expected, but it's got a wonderful flavor. the brett is predominant and you can definitely taste the oak. not much in the way of fruit in this one, but you can taste some of the alcohol at the end.

M - champagne-like tight carbonation.

D - a very nice beer to enjoy, one bottle at a time. i really like this stuff.

04-28-2008 17:37:27 | More by dill
flexabull

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

It's Friday, the week is over. Time to crack open something special...

Batch #002

Pours a bright gold color, with slight haze, a light white head, and obvious carbonation.

Aromas are strong, and very pleasant. This was easily to smell right when the cork popped. Aromas are of citrus, mostly lemons, some dust, yeast, spice, and a floral quality. Definite funk.

Tastes is incredibly tart and sour. I am puckering just thinking about the first sip. A very dry citrus lemon flavor with some funky yeast spices and a touch of oak. Finish is crisp, with a nice hint of creamy malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is great. Very clean, nicely carbonated, with a nice thick feel up front.

Drinkability is good. This is a beer I have wanted to try for quite some time now. Incredibly interesting and unique tasting. But one bottle is easily more than enough. I probably should have waited to share this bottle with someone. I really like this, but I prefer Sanctification, Compunction, and Temptation to this one. I just found those to be easier to drink. That's not to slight this one at all... Beatification is another Russian River home run.

04-25-2008 22:18:31 | More by flexabull
peabody

Kentucky

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours out a cloudy hazy wheat/yellow color with lots of bubbles in the drink and not in the head.
I smell cherry and oak and citrus. The yeast burns my nose.
Taste is sour/sweet at the same time. There is a darkness to the aftertaste. It is bitter sweet like a persimmon fruit.
Mouthfeel is so darn clean. Nothing is left in the palate. We had cheese and mushrooms, this cleaned the mouth right up. I wish it would be more redily available. Petrus rates way below this one.

04-24-2008 03:10:00 | More by peabody
Lothore

3.78/5  rDev -17.1%

Review #200
Batch 2

A- Pours a cloudy peach color with little to no head.

S- Mostly all brett, some funky sour tones along with some barnyard funk.

T- By far the most sour of the recently released RR sours. Starts of with a strong sourness which subsides and brings forth apples and citrus notes followed by a bit of grape.

M- Medium viscosity, not a lot of carbonation.

D- My least favorite of the RR sours but still a good beer thats worth trying.

04-19-2008 04:56:34 | More by Lothore
TheEremite

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Batch 002 at the RR taproom.

A: Very cloudy, yellow/straw color. Small ring of small bubbles. Not much head there.

S: Not much aroma surprisingly. There's some funk/acidity and some apple aromas. Also some funky spicy and "barnyard" brett character.

T: Heavy on the Brettanomyces/wild yeast. It's sour for sure. There is some malt in the background and there seems to be some hop bitterness. Bitterness could also be some slight spicy yeast character. Interesting. I like it.

M: Dry, lively. Great carbonation for the beer.

D: Very drinkable for the style I suppose. I'm not sure I'd have two, but it is refreshing. It's not as clean as many lambics, but it tastes good.

04-14-2008 21:06:18 | More by TheEremite
illidurit

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me.

04-12-2008 22:17:06 | More by illidurit
Overlord

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Another splendid sour ale wild ale from Russian River. I was expecting this to be similar to Temptation (which I tried last night), but it ended up being quite different.

Pours a brilliant golden color. Thin white crust, no real head. It has the characteristic champagne bubbles, but decidedly less so than Temptation. As a result, the mouthfeel was a bit more flat ... unfortunately less appealing (for me, at least).

The smell indicated that the funk level was going to be raised insanely high. Vinegar, overwhelming tartness, and wood/oak tones abounded in the aroma. The taste was explosively sour. The wood/oak flavoring was gigantic, far more so than La Folie's Wood Aged Beer, which is the closest I can think of in terms of sour woodsy flavoring. Vinegar, tartness, and young sour citrus abound. While the flavor is definitely complex, it can be a bit more one-note than Temptation as the session progresses.

I see that folks mention lighter fruits such as sour cherries, raspberries, etc. I'm not getting much of that. If those were added, I guess the "Brett" character is pummeling them.

Definitely demands a lot of your palate. Delicious.

04-12-2008 07:02:32 | More by Overlord
Benway

2.95/5  rDev -35.3%

Huge fan of Russian River and tasted many of the 'ation' series years ago at Toronado. At that point it seemed that many of the barrel aged (chardonnay, pinot, etc) beers were clearly going to find a foothold. Thankfully for us, they have and are getting better and better.

My local shop has carried as many bottled 'ations' as he can get his hands on and I was happy to spend $12 for an 002 batch of Beatification. In the case of this one, it felt extremely sour for sour's sake. Each sip reminded me of biting in to a Zot in elementary school. So rough and so compelling at the same time, like staring at a car accident.

I'm happy to have had this experience and will enjoy watching others try it. I will probably wait for the next 'ation' though.

04-11-2008 02:38:57 | More by Benway
HumuloneRed

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friends Dan & Joelle (Dewbrewer) for sharing this one. Batch 001. 375 ml. Bottle.
Pours a murky light orange color with a small white head and slippery lacing.

Floral, citrus/fruit, and sour in the nose.

Great balance between malt, wood, and brettanomyces sour/barn yard flavors. Acidic and creamy at the same time.

A beer that is beer well done.

04-08-2008 05:54:35 | More by HumuloneRed
JDV

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle shared at tasting courtesy of Randy. Thanks!
Pours a faintly hazed yellowish color with light whitish head. Smell is bright, lightly funky and sour, yet soft overall. Taste is much of the same mild tartness, oaky dryness and very pleasant funkiness. Very easy to drink, now that I'm more accustomed to sours. This is really nice stuff, and very mild compared to some.

04-06-2008 19:33:10 | More by JDV
seaoflament

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

A big thanks to tangfoot for trading me this bottle.

I had something else in mind for my 200th review but it is warm today and my palate is asking for a break from all the double/imperial/barrel-aged strong ales I've been drinking so I decided to pop this beer instead.

This is from Batch 001.

Big pop once I was able to take the cork out. I'm glad this one is not a gusher like the Temptation I had not too long ago.

Pours a bright golden color with a touch of apple juice color. About an inch of foam quickly forms as this beer seems to be very effervescent, but it settles rather fast and leaves a white ring behind.

Wow, the aroma is incredible. Tart cherries, apples, vinegar, pears, acidic strawberry, just a great combination of sour and tart fruits. It also has some vinous and faint oak aromas in the background. This beer made my mouth water. The funkiness is still there but it blends really well with the fruity aromas. Later on I pick up some orange, tangerine, and I believe the cherry becomes more pronounced. The pale malt is trying to peek through with some sweetness and hints of toast and caramel but it's easily overpowered by the vibrant and tart fruitiness.

First taste is of some tart fruits and vinegar with a funky/brett finish and the pale malt also comes through in the finish. I'm starting to pick out the apples/apple skins, pears, strawberry, cherries and raspberries. The beer has a wonderful acidity level and at times I feel like I'm biting into a really sour green apple...yum! As it warms up the wood notes become more apparent and linger for a little bit in the finish.

The mouth-feel is light since it's only a 5.5% blond ale but it's still madly carbonated and goes well with the acidity. The carbonation is still aggressive on the tongue but surprisingly it finishes rather clean and almost velvety in the end. Sadly, this beer drinks rather fast since it's flavorful, refreshing and light...oh how I crave more beers like this!
The finish is also dry but not an excessive dryness, just enough to make you want to take another sip soon.

And now I'm sad cause it's gone. Looking forward to the next batch coming in soon!

03-25-2008 00:49:26 | More by seaoflament
Floydster

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

375 ml bottle acquired in a trade with brewandbbq, big thanks for letting me try this highly sought after beer

Batch 001-PH1, aged in New Belgium La Folie barrels for 23 months, bottle says it can be aged for up to four additional years, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, bottle review #300

A-Medium orange with a slight red or pink tint when held up to the light, huge 1 1/4 inch head that aggressively bubbly, not much retention though, tons of little bubbles rushing to the top the whole time through, minimal retention

S-Funky sourness, nothing but tarty aromas, brettanomyces was pretty strong, wood chips, different citrus scents, oddly a bit of some kind of nuttiness, raspberries and cherries, balsamic vinegar, and some hints of malt

T-If this does not make you pucker then I do not know what will, amazing tarty taste that manages to stay smooth at the same time, sour cherries and brettanomyces right up front, lemon juice, earthy, grassy at times, seemed like there was some Belgian yeast, tangerines and grapefruit, coriander, orange peel and faint pepper flavors in the finish, not noticeably dry like most other Russian River wild ales, continued to get more complex as it warmed, sourness never got old, crazy how all this balanced out, fantastic flavor

M-Medium body, large amounts of carbonation that was a little much at the beginning, only complaint about this entire beer, taste lingered for a few minutes at a time, tarty sour mouthfeel

D-Could drink a half dozen of these at a sitting, so easy to drink and smooth, light on the stomach, alcohol can barely be tasted, only five percent anyways, one of the only true session wild ales, amazing drinkability

One of the best beers I have ever had, just slightly under Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale from this same brewer, which probably contained a good amount of this stuff in its blend, pretty much flawless in my opinion, will try to get a case of the next batch in a few months but this beer is in very high demand so I might be driving up north on its release date, I cannot recommend this beer enough, true masterpiece

02-11-2008 07:53:41 | More by Floydster
drseamus

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Batch PH1. Served in an Ommegang glass.

A: Brilliantly clear, highly carbonated amber body. There was an initially thick white head but it fell quickly leaving nothing on the sides of the glass but only a rim of head on the edge.

S: The La Folie influence on the aroma is overwhelming. I can immediately recognize it. The aroma is nice and tart with some citrus notes. VERY inviting.

T: Damn, I love wild ales and this one is outstanding. Very pronounced tartness but it still manages to be smooth. Great pucker effect. The flavor has an earthy note typical of Brett. There are also some sour cherries lurking in the background. This is really a top notch beer. Brew this again Russian River!!

M: The carbonation is great on this and gives it a great mouthfeel. It takes what would otherwise be a pretty light bodied beer up a notch or two and gives it enough body to last.

D: Outstanding. Perfect. Top notch. Insert any other compliments you can think of. Especially when you consider that it is only 5.5% ABV, the drinkability on this is out of the park. This is by far my favorite RR beer and certainly one of the best beers I have had.

Edit: When you drink this beer, pour the yeast into the last sip. It is excellent.

12-02-2007 02:51:18 | More by drseamus
nahthan

4.88/5  rDev +7%

PH1 acquired directly at the brewery about a year and a half ago. Aged at 45F ever since. Pours clean and simple with a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Nice tight carbonation. Sour and brett up in the front of the tongue, super clean finish at the end. Very wonderfully complex, low alcohol and drinkable. 10/10 on the belgian "digestability scale". Outstanding.

12-02-2007 02:42:22 | More by nahthan
francisweizen

Arizona

I've had this beer quite a few times now in various different stages of it's development. At first from a wooden cask via a wine thief at the brewery. Than a test batch flowing at some god-forsaken beer festival. And finally in it's bottled form, in both the PH1, and 'regular' 001 editions. This beer pours a slightly hazy light golden colour with a large, tight, and compact head of foam that slowly loosend up, expands, and releases the aromas of this magnificent 'neo lambic' creation. This beer has the classic sharp, acidic, traditional lambic aromas that I adore. Balsamic vinegar, cheese, fresh white winter truffles, morbier dipped in lemon juice, etc. A very vinous and lactic sourness is also detectable, moreso in the darker tinged PH1 batch, than the straight 001, I should add. The taste is pungent and acidic with a wonderful fruity wine-like middle that smooths out the 'in-your-face-nature' of this brew and leaves you with a lovely aftertaste on the front and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy, super smooth, and reminiscent of the Cantillon St. Lamvinus. The drinkability is perfect and this super sour funky american neo lambic is definately one of the most coercive and notion challening brews to ever have passed this BAS' lips. Bravo to Vinnie and Co. For making something truly magical on all levels.

11-16-2007 00:07:32 | More by francisweizen
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!!

11-10-2007 19:46:50 | More by Bitterbill
jasonjlewis

4.47/5  rDev -2%

I'm sorry this review will not be detailed. I sampled this at the GABF. You say oh dude, one ounce sample. NOT THE CASE. My gf had a glass too and I got a lot of samples and poured them on top of each other and let them warm. I had to review on my cell phone so I didn't get a whole fuck load of notes.

This beer has a crazy funkiness. Sort of like a belgian sour. Sort of citrusy undertones. I did not get the best notes on this beer, but I have to write these notes so that I am sure to have this beer again. My first wild ale. I love this.

This beer was superb, sorry I don't have more notes on the flavor characteristics, but I have to write what I have down so I don't forget that I must buy this by the case in california when I visit.

10-14-2007 23:01:22 | More by jasonjlewis
BillyB

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

I shared this brew with a couple of my non-BA friends at a party. They all said it tasted like champagne. It was a hit and a lot of them were amazed that it was actually a beer.

Poured a clear light amber color with a thick one inch white foamy head.

Aromas were out of this world. Incredible funky, earthy, horseblanket, wood aromas. Musty.

Tastes of lemon and other citrusy characteristics. Also moldy, musty, funky yeast and some light sweet maltiness.

Mouthfeel is incredibly light and has a nice tingly carbonation to it.

10-08-2007 19:31:06 | More by BillyB
CharlesDarwin

Rhode Island

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Originally reviewed March 31, 2007. Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest. Pour from a 375mL. Fresh Meyer lemon spritz sour tang, with salty honey-ginger crispness. Sweet and bright aroma. Lightly hazed thin, with soapy off-white rim. Flavor a perky, brightly sweetened brettesque. Passionfruit and almond skins, yielding to grapefruit juice tartness. Nice percolation and stunning lightly hoppy finish. A different batch carried a whole world of earthy spice and robustness that took it to another level of excellence. Outstanding.

07-21-2007 20:44:48 | More by CharlesDarwin
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

4-17-08: Batch 001-PH1. Finally getting to crack my PH1 bottle on a beautiful sunny day. Pours into my glass a lightly hazy honey amber orange with a thick two finger head of creamy bubbles. Aromas bring a mix of citrus, honey and crisp malts bathed in a Brett laden veil. Musty, sharp vinegar and acidic tones alongside woody aspects. Extremely complex and intriguing. Simply awesome.

First sip brings a crisp, sharp malt upfront along with swirling citrus, lemon zest and honey flavors. Mouth puckering sour midway that brings with it a dense array of Brett nuances. Old wood, acidic vinegar, hay, musty funkiness. I get a slight grape aspect as well. The tart and sour aspects are more pronounced that the regular 001. It flows down quite dry overall. An amazing sensory experience in a glass.

Mouthfeel is crisp with punchy carbonation that carries the beer down with a solid effervescence. A great sipper on my porch at the end of a beautiful spring day. One of my all time favorite beers hands down.

7-13-07: Batch 001. Pours into my tulip glass a clear amber orange with a good inch of bubbly white head and lots of big bubbles rising up to the top. Aromas burst out of the glass with light citrus aromas bathed in brett funkiness. Musty, horse blanket, acetic farmhouse aromas alongside woody and honey scents as well. Has a really bright, vibrant character to it. Wow. This is just wonderful.

First sip brings a rush of tart and sour and a nice base malt. Light citrus flavors, lemon rind and honey mingle in the funkiness of the brew. There's a nice woody dryness with each sip along with a fairly sharp acidic bite. Finishes with a lingering tart funkiness, rather dry. I may be imagining it but I get a bit of a green olive aftertaste with each sip. This is simply an amazing sour, wild ale.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a lively, light carbonation that rushes across the palate with each sip. Really makes drinking this brew enjoyable. I wish this came in a 750ml bottle as I could easily and throughly enjoy the whole bottle myself. Beatification ranks with the best Russian River brews I've had and to be honest the best brews I've had overall. Cheers to Vinnie, Peter at NB and everyone else at RR that made this brew possible. Quite an achievement!

07-13-2007 00:21:27 | More by orbitalr0x
hoppymeal

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Batch 001. Pours a hazy peach color, nice and cloudy, with a small white head that recedes quickly. Aroma is strongest of tart apples that is balanced by a soft sweetness and at times smells of homeade applesauce. Aroma also shows some bready spices that blends with a grapey sweetness, also some black pepper and grassiness as well. A hint of the sweetness and spiced breadiness flashes at the front of the tongue before a good sized appley tartness enters and a lemony sourness follows. The taste finishes with a nice drying of the palette. Mouthfeel is fairly light in body, the tartness keeps it very refreshing, a nice dance of peppery carbonation on the tongue does so as well. The aroma was definitely complex and where its at for me with this beer. The taste because of the tartness was not as complex but was still very thirst quenching and very refreshing and easy to sip on. Thanks Mark for the opportunity.

06-22-2007 02:25:59 | More by hoppymeal
badbeer

Iowa

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Batch 001, not the PH1 though.

Poured out a yellow orange color with a white head that quickly dissipated, but left bits of lacing. Smell was sour and vinegar-like; it had barnyard funk as well, but not as powerful, full of pleasant sour aromas. The taste seems to have a bit of lemon and oak beneath the strong sour flavors. I'm not real experienced with Wild Ales, but this one just tasted awesome. It also had tastes of vinegar and ends up with a dry, sour finish. Lighter side of medium body with a dry finish; carbonation is rather high. This is definately one of the better beers I've had and has changed my mind on what sour beers can be. I would definitely drink this again, unfortunately I'll have to wait until the next batch comes out.

02-16-2007 21:08:53 | More by badbeer
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

The beer pours out beautiful head that has a good lacing. The color is very nice light yellow. The smell is powerful and full of great smells, the best smell I have had in a long time. The taste is great, smooth, with lots of full flavor. The smell of horse blanket and different sour flavors are very non-offensive and just wonderful. They come together to make a really great flavor. The mouthfeel was sooo smooth and impressive, it was very nice and smooth. Overall I will drink this again sometime, very very good.

01-13-2007 03:34:24 | More by Erdinger2003
rowew

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Presentation: 375 ml corked and caged. Barrel aged 23 months. Batch 001 - PH1. Aged in La Folie barrels.

Appearance: Poured per bottles recommendations without the yeast. Pours orange with just a bit of haze, and a small head with good retention.

Smell: Mmmm.. sour and funky. Lots of brett aroma with fruity undertones.

Taste: Lots of nice tart sour brett flavors. The brett definitely dominates here - and its highly enjoyable. The base beer appears to be a solid blond, but the sour definitely steals the show.

Overall impression: Very nice sour beer - nice to see Russian River and New Belgium teaming up - this is a great example of an American brewer producing belgian styles.

11-24-2006 03:38:11 | More by rowew