Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 516 | Hads: 2,310

Batch #2

Poured into a generic Tulip

A-Deep gold. Brilliantly clear. Low eggshell head.

S-Straw, horseblanket. A ton of barnyard funkyness. Old oak. Like the best lambic. This beer reminds me of the barrel room at cantilion.

T-FUNK!!! Super sour. Mouthpuckeringly so. Some old wood but not too much. Some bile... in a good way. More barnyard. Nothing in the way of hops.

M-Pretty dry. Enough carbonation to keep it lively but much less then your average american beer. No alcohol noticable.

D- I could do this all night. Super sour though so if you're not into that then you might have a problem. ISO: (611 characters)

A - Poured a hazy straw color with a thin bubbly head into a Duvel glass.

S - Intense, you can smell it the minute you open the bottle. Very funky up fromt with nice earthy/wood nites in the back and a bit a citrus as well.

T - Very funky and tart. Strated out with citrus and ends with the sour funk.

M - Very tart at first and leaves you mouth puckering and very dry. Deffinately makes you want to go back for more.

D - Excellent, if you know what you are about to get yourself into. An extremely intense beer but an awesome wild ale. (540 characters)

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Krombacher Pils glass.

Appearance- Cloudy yellow/orange with a beautiful bone white head that lasted a good while.

Smell- Lemon sour patch kid. Light oaky notes. Lot of lemon! Some cider vinegar present.

Taste- Incredibly sour. Mouth puckering sourness. Huge lemon. Some mild grapefruit. Nice bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated. Champagne-like feeling in my mouth. Very tart.

Overall- Incredible! I liked Supplication more, but never the less, this is awesome. (502 characters)

Batch 6 Beatification, first time trying and super stoked! High expectations after trying other RR sours!

A: Pours a hazy opaque, yellow, slight orangish gold mix, the orangish gold mix is more of a hue as it closer resembles pineapple juice, nice and murky! No head when from the pour or after
This beer looks fantastic!

S: Sour! Earthy! Fruity! Sweet! Funky! So much complexity going on with this beer! I get some apples, pear, pineapple, straw, and all those lovely combinations of funky and sour bacteria! Perfection!

T: An immediate rush of tartness once it hits your palate, initial you get the tart, sour bacteria with a lovely, apple, pear, pineapple fruit combination, then it transitions to straw and funk, and finishes with a perfectly balanced combination of everything! The best part with this beer is it lingers and the flavor ever so slowly fades away, and when it's gone it leaves you begging for more! Absolutely stunning!

M: This category is perfectly executed as always with RR sours, slightly dry, light, hint oily, and incredibly crisp, and somewhat unexplainable on how good the mouthfeel really is for this style. Perfect!

O:Blown away, had high hopes for this beer, and it surpassed them by a mile! It is going to be hard to ever find a sour better than this! You must get this beer if you can! (1,323 characters)

Batch 5 from a tulip. Holy amazeballs this is an awesome beer.

Beautiful gold brew. Tart, funky, earthy aroma. Sour, sour, sour. Citrus, funk. Dry finish that leaves me salivating for more.

I wish this was easier to acquire, but well worth trading for. Certainly at the top of my list of favorites. (301 characters)

I've had this beer quite a few times now in various different stages of it's development. At first from a wooden cask via a wine thief at the brewery. Than a test batch flowing at some god-forsaken beer festival. And finally in it's bottled form, in both the PH1, and 'regular' 001 editions. This beer pours a slightly hazy light golden colour with a large, tight, and compact head of foam that slowly loosend up, expands, and releases the aromas of this magnificent 'neo lambic' creation. This beer has the classic sharp, acidic, traditional lambic aromas that I adore. Balsamic vinegar, cheese, fresh white winter truffles, morbier dipped in lemon juice, etc. A very vinous and lactic sourness is also detectable, moreso in the darker tinged PH1 batch, than the straight 001, I should add. The taste is pungent and acidic with a wonderful fruity wine-like middle that smooths out the 'in-your-face-nature' of this brew and leaves you with a lovely aftertaste on the front and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy, super smooth, and reminiscent of the Cantillon St. Lamvinus. The drinkability is perfect and this super sour funky american neo lambic is definately one of the most coercive and notion challening brews to ever have passed this BAS' lips. Bravo to Vinnie and Co. For making something truly magical on all levels. (1,335 characters)

Thank you jeff-Alewatcher for splitting a batch 003 750 with Chad quest and myself.

This beer pours out a beautiful hazy blonde with hints of amber. The head is almost nonexistent with a thin ring around the edges. The smell puts off a big oaky character, with hints of funky fruit...hinting toward apricot. The main thing I get out of this is a big dry oaky tingle. The citrus acidity on the backside to this beer is incredible, the back of my tongue and cheeks are pulled so tight. This is what I'll expect from a "sour" from now on. The finish on this beer lasts forever, I can't believe how incredible this beer is. A life goal has been fulfilled...thank you again jeff and Chad for sharing this moment with me! (717 characters)

My friend in San Francisco broke one of these out as my introduction to sours. I was blown away. This is a sour that is truly sour without any overtones of fruitiness. It finishes leaving you wanting more and more and more. Impossible to drink quickly because after the first sip you know you have come across something special. This is my current favorite beer, if you have a chance to taste any of the Russian River sours try this one first, it will blow your mind. (467 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a pretty special one for #BOTG 62. Pretty hard to find, thanks to Kevin Harvest for his generosity here. RR corked and caged bottle, popped bottle, and poured slowly into my JK Farmhouse glass. Pours a really cloudy golden color, some white, tight bubbles in the head. It looks like a sour! It actually resembles a Gueuze in a lot of ways. Smell- sour green apples, citrus, earthy funk! I get some eastern asia tropical fruits (like a star fruit)- very tart aroma. Also, some vinegar aroma. So many things in common with a good gueuze. Taste- oh my god, puckering sour. Its the sour you get from biting right into a green apple (unripened) and gnawing on the skin. There is a sugary tartness on my teeth. Also, I get some sour patch kids sourness too. Definite vinegar present on the end, it works well with the sourness, not a detractor at all. This is an A+ sour. One of the best I've ever had for sure. (913 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow, what can I say about this, I have been waiting to try this one for what seems like forever. Almost impossible to get a bottle of Batch 001, so I just waited it out and received my Batch 002 supply yesterday. Wasting no time at all I threw one in the fridge and let it chill down to a respectable temperature before pulling it out at about 9:00pm last night. The 375,l corked and caged bottle looked wonderful and I practically started drooling before I could even get it open. Needless to say I grabbed the closest snifter I could and found my new Belgium one and slowly poured the contents inside....

Appearance - A slow pour, being careful not to disturb the sediment left the most hazy golden, amber colored liquid imaginable. No head at all on this, well minimal at best with just a slight quarter inch layer of white coming across the top, good news was that it never did get any lower then that. Great side glass presentation on this one as nice silky smooth looking, cascading layers of white fizz, almost looking like sea spray just swirled around the sides of the glass. Some light carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom throughout the session. As would be expected there was a bit of yeast sitting at the bottom of the glass after it settled. I was impressed but what would happen next would be off the chart....

Smell - The aroma was simply to die for. I love me some Brett, but this was literally taking it to a whole new level. I knew this would be nice, but my wife chuckled as I sat there for an hour sniffing this, as if...well you could imagine. Just the most grand, funkified, tart, sour, vinegar like smell you could come across, but in a good way. Rich and complex there seemed to literally be no end in sight for the depth of this one. Towards then end of the session, I may have just gotten used to the funky sour Brett, when I noticed some light fruit maybe coming into play, this was like a fine wine almost in aroma, I mean just insanely good. I am almost speechless, but I had to eventually stop smelling it and actually try it....

Taste - If I thought it smelled good, I do not even know how to put into words the flavor of this one. It was just wonderful. Started out with a full on assault of sour, Brett funk, that rolled through the mouth, sucking up and puckering anything that it came in contact with, but once it got past, it opened you up to a whole world of woody flavors that were hidden underneath. There was some light fruitiness of some sour, perhaps grapes, or green apples, that you could start to pick up as it rolled along, and there was a touch of sweetness there as well. This was not entirely unbalanced, far from it. In fact I think if you do not let this one warm up a bit, you are really cheating yourself out of how good it could be. It was remarkable in hour tart it was but just how well it blended. The finishing notes were really starting to show hints of the barrel aging, with nice wood notes coming through and it really getting a nice earthy feel to it.

Mouthfeel - Such a wonderfully rich and complex taste, would be nothing without the accompanying good feel. And, this one did not disappoint in any way. Nice medium bodied ale, there was more then adequate carbonation put through on this one. It never did get flat, or dull in any way, in fact it seemed to get better as the session wore on. Silky smooth in its consistency, I was in love with this one right away.

Drinkability - In a word it was outstanding, the flavors were so rich and complex that I literally could not stop sipping on this one if I tried. The feel so delicate and smooth that I literally just let it sit there and roll around to absorb the most out of it that I could. This was truly remarkable in every possible way.

Overall I was simply blown away by this one. It was easily the best sour ale I have ever had, and easily one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. I can now see why people rave about this one as much as they do, it really is that good. It has a light texture to it that is unmatched, and the Brett, is just perfect. Go out and get this if you are a fan of the style, if its not your thing, and you do not like the style, you are not going to like this, it's the epitome of the style. Simply astounding. (4,287 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Big thanks to largadeer for this bottle of Batch 002. I'm celebrating being officially done with law school as of 2pm today!

a - pours a very hazy honey color, one-finger white head, retention around the edges, moderate lacing, good for a sour ale

s - sour apple and intense barnyard funk, notes of cucumber strangely, light citrus, grapefruit and lemon

t - sour apple and white grape up front which quickly develops into an intense sourness that engulfs the whole palate, huge amount of brett funkiness and hints of grapefruit, lemon and orange on the mid-palate, more citrus and green apple on the finish along with lingering funk and notes of oak and leather, as it warms, the lemon becomes more pronounced, in one word: Awesome!

m - medium-bodied, lots of carbonation, very active in the mouth, moderately dry on the finish, very sour but easy on the palate at the same time, perfect mix of body and carbonation for the style

d - while this is certainly an intense beer, the complexities and refreshing nature keep you drinking, very sour yet easy on the palate, damn, I wish this came in 750s

I've wanted to try this beer for well over a year-and-a-half, and I have to say, it was well worth the wait. One of the best beers I've ever had. I couldn't think of a better special occasion beer. I need to get some more bottles of this asap! (1,347 characters)

Batch 2

Poured from a bottle at monk's kettle

It poured a nice lite yellow, an off gold heather straw color. With a mighty funk odor presiding from the glass. This beer was super tart and super dry, with a strong citric taste. There was also a very bretty taste. The taste was very malleable, varying from sip to sip, jumping from the barnyard brett to a bone dry lemon making it a pleasure to drink. That combined with the low ABV, lack of sweetness and the pleasant fuzziness, I could have drunken this all day. Yet this review still comes out a bit drunk. Go figure! (571 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to an awesome BA who poured me the last few oz of his bottle. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a nicely hazy lemon yellow/tangerine with a frothy white head. Not much retention, as expected with most wild ales. Sparkles in the sun. Wow. 4.5

S - This is simply fantastic. So much going on here, yet I feel I'll be doing this beer injustice by attempting to describe it. But here goes. A crisp tart aroma similar to extremely tart lemons, a touch of that "barnyard" funkiness like a bit of earthy mushrooms, a very small bit of grass and a bit of oak. This is simply excellent. 5.0

T - Extraordinary tartness explodes with citrusy and a faint kiwi-like flavor. Followed closely with that distinct "barnyard" earthiness and a long, sour finish. I wish my vocabulary for wild and sour beers was better. 5.0

M - Light, crisp, well carbonated. So incredibly smooth. There is no "bite", nor is it lacking carbonation in any way. So well balanced. 5.0

D - What do you think?! This is phenomenal. Truly an enlightening experience in my beer ventures. 5.0 (1,064 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Batch PH1. Served in an Ommegang glass.

A: Brilliantly clear, highly carbonated amber body. There was an initially thick white head but it fell quickly leaving nothing on the sides of the glass but only a rim of head on the edge.

S: The La Folie influence on the aroma is overwhelming. I can immediately recognize it. The aroma is nice and tart with some citrus notes. VERY inviting.

T: Damn, I love wild ales and this one is outstanding. Very pronounced tartness but it still manages to be smooth. Great pucker effect. The flavor has an earthy note typical of Brett. There are also some sour cherries lurking in the background. This is really a top notch beer. Brew this again Russian River!!

M: The carbonation is great on this and gives it a great mouthfeel. It takes what would otherwise be a pretty light bodied beer up a notch or two and gives it enough body to last.

D: Outstanding. Perfect. Top notch. Insert any other compliments you can think of. Especially when you consider that it is only 5.5% ABV, the drinkability on this is out of the park. This is by far my favorite RR beer and certainly one of the best beers I have had.

Edit: When you drink this beer, pour the yeast into the last sip. It is excellent. (1,228 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11.7%

Batch 2
375 ml bottle consumed on 12/13/2011

A: Light gold and yellow in color and quite clear. Carbonation creates bubbling in the glass, white lacing, and a quickly fading white head.

S: Powerful citrus and funky aroma. Really strong lemon aromas are an indicator of the sourness to come.

T: Delivers really strong tart and sourness tastes. Amazing sour that redefines my definition of a sour bomb. I thought the other RR sours were sour, but this one wins the prize.

M: Very sour and dry finish.

O: One of the toughest RR sours to track down, but definitely worth it. This is the gold standard for tart and sourness, though I would not go as far as saying this is drinkable. It is definitely enjoyable, but should be savored. (733 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +11.7%

One of the best beers I've had, without a doubt. Amazing how many different fruit and other aromas/flavors come out of this beer from the combination of bacteria and yeasts, without actually having any fruit. Pretty much every aspect of it was fantastic, down to the perfect mouth feel. It's not often outside of a big stout/barleywine that I say to myself "wow this beer has a great mouth feel!" but it was there, all right. (425 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from bottle into a Krombacher glass.

A - Gold with a bit of head and bubbles rising to the top. Champagne like effect

S - Lemon, orange, sour candy

T - Very, very sour. Lots of grapefruit and orange. Incredible sour.

M - Light body with lots of carbonation. The sourness lingers.

O - Great beer. One of the best I've had and every bit as good as Supplication. (371 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Pineapple juice.

S: Lemons, grass, brett.

T: Quite tart, but not overpowering. Clean lemon juice and green apples with a slight touch of non-cloying, tropical sweetness; almost like the pineapple juice that's present in the appearance.

M: Pleasantly dry and puckering.

O: Outstanding. I braced myself against the hype, preparing for this to be underwhelming and was wrong. Beatification is every bit deserving of the hype. (429 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +11.3%

Updated. Last vintage I had was 18 months old. This is just 3. Poured into Lost Abbey Teku.

Appearance is a beautiful golden straw color with a small soapy white head that dissipates to little bodies of bubbles atop the liquid. Effervescent carbonation coming up from the bottom. This seems to look a lighter color than the last batch.

Aroma is heavy grass, lemon, lime, light nectarine, pineapple, and subtle earthy mustiness. Smells grassier and less fruity than the last batch. But beautifully balanced nose.

On the palate, ah yes this Beatification! Once again beautiful balance between sweet, tart, oak, and dry finish. This one has less pucker and is due to its young age. Flavors of lemon peel, Granny Smith apple, green pasture, pineapple, under ripe nectarine, lime pulp, oak, and light Chardonnay.

Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Light body, spritzy, even pucker through the palate with a slight incline on the finish as the beer drys out.

Overall this is a prime example of the mastery Vinnie possesses. A work of balance, very puckering but not overly so. Less funky than most traditional gueuzes but where it lacks funk it makes up in other nuances that make the beer just as divine if not more unique. Which I believe is the intention. (1,259 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

I just returnet to the United States after a seven month combat deployment in support of Opperation Iraqi Freedom and Opperation Enduring Freedom. I have wanted a great beer for a long time, and I have been anxiously awaiting the day I got to have a truely great sour beer. I waited until the last day of my vacation to open it.

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color with an almost non existant head that disappears instantly, leaving no laces. It looks quite thin.

This beer as a sour aroma. It smells slightly of viniger, but not in a bad way at all. It has a fruity aroma also. Mostly apple, but with some lemon. It has a slight earthy yeast aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Sour, and great. Slightly viniger like. It has a citrusy fruit flavor of lemons. Also so apple flavor. Mmmmm, that sour flavor is great.

This beer is thin, and very low in carbonation, suiting it quite nicely. It is very crisp, and refreshing.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. It tastes great, and is low in alcohol. I know that after a few, I could still taste the complexity of this fine beer. If I could get a few cases of it, I would love it.

Overall: Great beer by a great brewer. I have been wanting it for quite some time, and now I am satisfied. I WILL have this one again. If they ever make a Batch 3. (1,335 characters)

Batch 5, bottled 10JAN12

Upon popping the cork and sticking my nose at the bottle neck, my initial response was to say aloud, while alone, "Why the shit is this not a regular?! Get your shit together Vinnie."

This is a crispy golden beer with a solid, fluffy, white cap and a resilient central emission of carb rises from the bottom. Lemon zest, manure, hay, arugula, horse hair, soil, yogurt and hell yeah emit from the aqueous solution. One of the most tart beers I've tasted, lemon juice, hints of bitterness, mud, weed roots, dandelion - this beer is insane. Medium bodied with higher carb than I'd prefer (easily remedied with the amount of shaking and whiffing I'm doing) and a semi dry, yet mouth watering finish.

This is the best American Wild Ale I've had (sans fruit). Just. Fucking. Outstanding. (810 characters)

Batch #2

Can't thank Troy enough for this extremely generous gift.

Between my new job and our wedding anniversary, today seems like the perfect day to pull this one out of the cellar end enjoy it with the wife.

A faint pop as I remove the cork. The white head is fleeting, leaving a cloudy golden body. Looks like a saison, but with a smaller head.

Apple cider vinegar, tropical fruit brett; a sour, funky aroma.

One of the most complex American beers I have ever tasted. Pineapple, lemon juice, brett, lactic acid, no real oak flavor. Deep fruit notes combine with a complex sourness. Up there with the best Belgian Lambics as far as I'm concerned. Can't put it into words, just fantastic. (695 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

Shared a bottle of this with some fellow BAs at Ebenezer's in Lovell, Maine. Great place!

Poured into a wine glass. Clear golden/orange body with a thin white head that fades to a faint ring. Very musty funky aroma. Flavor is of lemon zest, sour apples, very vinous, and acidic. Very astringent finish. Bubbly on the tongue, finishes very dry.

Excellent representation of the style. This may be my absolute favorite American Wild ale. (436 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

Thanks to nickd717 for shipping me out some of this. 750 ml bottle batch 003.

Pours a murky straw yellow orangish color. Tons of tiny carbonation bubbles float to the top. The head is white and doesn't have the best retention in the world.

The nose very vinous, with extreme hints of tart and sour apple, white grape juice, wet leather, some musty earthiness. Extremely complex and it evolves as it warms, become more complex and giving off new smells every sip.

This is intense. I've had Russian River before but never been blown away like this. If I could give taste a 6, I'd still want to give it a 7. Sour and tart fruits, mainly apples and grapes, very vinous and acidic. Surprisingly has a sweet side along with the sour, a very nice balance. Musty and funky, but just the right amount. Not overpowering but adds enough to take this to a whole new plain of existence. Seriously the best tasting sour I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a soft floating carbonation, almost fluffy. Finishes a bit dry, but nothing too intense.

Drinkability is amazing. I can't imagine a 750 ml going faster than this one would if I didn't pace myself. This is liquid gold in a bottle. I was thinking about trading my second bottle but I'm now having serious doubts and second thoughts. (1,290 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!! (1,763 characters)

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company