Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,775
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Shared with bmanning at a tasting on 09.26.09.

A: Bright golden with a little bit of haze and a little bit of fizzininess on the head.

S: A little bit of lemon citrusness paired with some green apple sourness. A little bit of vinegary acidicness in the nose as well, but nothing too overpowering.

T: Nothing too overpowering here, but in a good way. Some oak flavor to go along with the citrus and acidicness. A little bit of funkiness as well.

M: Pretty dry and fairly light-bodied. Very refreshing to have a very nice sour without too much alcohol content.

D: Exceedingly drinkable. This one was fantastic and hopefuly I'll get another try some day.

Thorpe429, Sep 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

750ml bottle (batch 3) received in trade from bryanbrick. Thanks Bryan! Poured into a Bruery goblet.

A - Bright, hazy yellow with a one finger cap of dense white foam. Head lasts a minute or two and finally recedes leaving a layer of bubbles and a thick collar. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - Fruity, apples and horses. Strong barnyard funk...very interesting.

T - Very tart, lemony, apples, lots of brett character, a slight woodiness, tons of funk.

M - Light to medium body, smooth medium carbonation. Sourness pervades the entire mouth.

D - Not a starter sour, but really good. Lots of funk and fruity sourness. Pretty intense, but excellent sour.

portia99, Sep 27, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a very modest head that fades rather quickly, leaving only the vaguest splash of lace

Smell: After an initial whiff of oak and leather, the tartness is overwhelming, with a vinegar/citrus aspect

Taste: Starts out with a mouth puckering vinegary lemon pith tartness that just builds and builds, with a barely discernable oak undertone; after the swallow, the tartness dials back a notch to let the lemon pith through

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with low to moderate carbonation

Drinkability: The tartness of this beer is over the edge for me, although I understand that we are in Geuze territory; I would have liked to see a bit more carbonation as well

brentk56, Sep 26, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

375ml batch 002 poured into mini chalice.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a very slight fizzy white head which quickly vanishes. No head retention or lacing left behind. Not a whole lot to look at, really.

S - Fruity tart/sour notes up front. Sour apple quicky comes to mind. This has a medium funk compared to the other RR wilds I've had, which is nice for a change.

T - Sour apples, medium funk, tart citrus finish.

M - Very light with minimal carbonation. Not as dry of a finish as I was expecting.

D - Not my favorite wild from RR, but damn good anyway.

Sean9689, Sep 13, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance: Pours orange-gold with a nice head and decent lacing.

Smell: Vinegar, citrus, light fruits and buggy funk

Taste: Tart + funk with gueze characteristics. Sour apples, lemons, etc

Mouthfeel: Dry, tart, and medium-full

Drinkability: Medium, I just couldn't get in to this one. Didn't even bother taking good notes sadly.

*NB: Probably the bottom of the Russian River wild ale's, but still better than most.

craytonic, Sep 10, 2009

A - nice golden haze
S - Funk and sour smell and a little citrus
T - Puckeringly sour. Get used to this after a few sips and the citrus comes through. Really impressive way to start my Sour/Wild ale tastings.
M - Thin but not too thin, really nice
D - Surprisingly drinkable, want more after just a few sips.

Overall a great great beer. A sour like you wouldn't think possible in a beer if you've never had a sour ale before (like myself). Impressive

boomer31, Sep 08, 2009
4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Enjoyed this wonderful ale at their pup. Pours a light apricot gold with some suspended particulation.

Great lactic and tart wild brett funk right off the bat. Lemon and grassy citrus.

Oak and some wonderful layers of barnyard and slight bandaid rubber. It's acidic and tart, with the malt barely to be seen. The carbonation is not quite champagne quality, but it's tingly and satisfying. Crisp tart apples in here too. Slight sulphurous match, but other than that quite clean and flawless. Yum! The little snifter half-pint was gone before I knew it.

SurlyDuff, Aug 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 3. Rather clear, golden colored beer with minimal head and retention. Carbonation is abundant. Bouquet has a mild funk and is dominated by hay and lemons. Can't wait to taste this one. Quite sour taste here induces some puckering, lemons and grapefruit hit you mid way and the sourness returns and lingers through the finish for quite some time. I prefer Consecreation and Temptation a bit more but this is still another great beer from RR which I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys the style.

Nick3, Aug 30, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Batch 002

A: Golden orange. Relatively clear. Moderate fizzy head quickly receded with little lacing.

S: Sour lemons. Slight vinegar quality. Funky farmhouse nature. Some hay/wheat.

T: Incredibly sour. Lemons, grapefruit, vinegar, hay, yeast. Not much oak, which isn't surprising considering the age of the barrels used to age this guy.

M: Acidic. Sour. Certainly cleanses the palate of anything that might have been there before. Light bodied, and no sign of alcohol. Effervescent.

T: Sour and tarty as hell, but has a sweet farmhouse funk to it. Hay and vinegar. Very acidic and funky. My mouth waters with every sip. Also has some oak to it.

D: Gotta be in the right mood for this one as the sourness is among the highest I've encountered.

callmemickey, Aug 29, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this several times (batches 2 and 3), bottle and on tap, and while it's pretty good, I just can't understand the hype for this one.

A - Hazy golden color with a white head and good lacing. Some sediment present from the bottle.

S - Sour green apples, lemon, and funk. You can tell this is going to be a tart one.

T - Incredibly sour, lemony pale malt, lactic acid, and grapefruit. I know this is blasphemous, but this beer is too sour IMO. Really dominates the rest of the flavors.

M - Sharp and acidic with medium body. Pretty intense.

D - Not very drinkable. It's just too sour to have very much of. Would be quite a chore to take down an entire 750ml of this in one sitting, so it's good they bottle in 375ml too.

EDIT 2/2010: Had this a couple more times from the bottle and it grows on you a bit. Still a bit one-dimensional and overdone, but it is reasonably drinkable and can be tasty if you get the right batch. Raising it from a B- to a high B+. I like this beer now.

nickd717, Aug 25, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Cloudy orange-wheat colored body with a fluffy crisp yellow white head.
S: Sour grapes, champagne, green apples.
T: Sour grapes and green apples, some wheat and sparkling white wine.
M: High carbonation, a bit hard to drink quickly. Fairly light body.
D: Had a couple glasses, but not masking too high of an abv.

lhaqq, Aug 23, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Batch 002, shared with the ever generous Bobsy.

My first foray into American wild ales pours a hazy golden wheat with a smattering of head.

Nose is a cornucopia of aromas - a hefty dose of fresh barnyard, hay, leather, funk, oranges and lemons.

Any initial impression will be struck by the lip puckering sourness of this brew. Behind that lies a body of lemons (fresh squeezed lemon juice!), a hint of funk but not as much as the nose would have led me to believe or as much as I would have expected from a wild ale, hints of sour apples, earthy, bone dry finish. Bright carbonation.

The initial sip is a bit of a shocker but after the taste buds orient to the new adventure I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It wrests every taste bud and demands you hunker down and contemplate its depths. Love the pucker and the funk, time to see what else the world of American sours has in store!

ritzkiss, Aug 10, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -20%

Batch 3 courtesy of grub and batch 2 courtesy of biegaman, sampled on back-to-back nights. Thanks guys for this rare treat! My first wild ale.

Cloudy yellow pour with a tight white cap that dissipates to a ring and leaves a few spots of lace. HUGE sour aroma of lemons and green apples taht really leaps out at you. Mega-sour flavour, with strong lemon and citrus notes throughout. Odd hints of apple, and a touch of funk. Just impressively sour and overwhelming for me. Light body, with a crisp, dry finish.

I don't think sours are really my thing, whihc will save me a bundle in the long run. However, I'm quite impressed with this and I can see why some people have fallen in love with the style. A very well-constructed beer, but not one I'd look for any time soon.

bobsy, Aug 09, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -19.3%

Batch 3.

A: Hazy straw, thin ring of retention leaves a little leg/lace.

S: Huge, overpowering apple tartness. Impressive.

T: A real mouth-puckering tartness, like an unblended lambic. The lactic acid reminds me of sour keys, with hints of underlying candied fruit. The subtleties are certainly lost on me.

M: Light to moderate body has a dry finish.

D: A little tart for my tastes.

Thanks Grub!

Derek, Aug 09, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks goes out to Arbitrator for the assist, batch 3, poured into Duvel snifters for best effect.

A- Beatification is quite beasutiful. A hazy mix of yellow and orange giving off a glowing look when up towards light. The head was not high, probably like a 1/2 inch of semi loose white foam. Lacing is not great, but this one is still quite a looker.

S- This smells great. A big blast of sourness with a backdrop of citrus consisting of lemons. Not very funky, more tart like. This wild is very closely resembling a gueuze. The smell just lingers from the glass, drawing you in.

T- Oh my, a sour tart punch straight to the tastebuds. This one woke me up. With the up front citrus the squeezed lemon is there plus some minimal grapefruit. There is some funk going on but I would not call it funky, maybe that's just in this newer batch. Quite acidic and delicious. Some oak and more funk come out with warming.

M- Puckering to say the least, let this one roll around in your mouth for some time and it will open you up. Tart, fruity and refreshing. Finishes dry with perfect carbonation giving off a spritzy feel when the drink is colder. The body is in between light and medium and is again perfect for this style.

D- A low ABV like this would grant a whole bottle to the head, but all the bugs in my system afterwards is not a good look and would eat my skinny ass up. When I gain 100 pounds or so I will attempt to drink a 750 of this, for now sharing is fine with me. The drinkability on this is insane, I drank my glass in no time, and now im looking for more.

BARFLYB, Aug 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch 002

Poured into La Trappe goblet.

Poured slowly producing a thin fizzy layer of white head. Fades quickly. No lace. Color is a bright golden orange sunset.

Aroma: Some vinegar, but has a big funky barnyard aroma going on. A ton of acidic citrus. Very sour of course. A different aroma from what I was expecting, but I like it.

Taste: Sour and tarty as hell, but has a sweet farmhouse funk to it. Hay and vinegar. Very acidic and funky. My mouth waters with every sip. Also has some oak to it.

Mouthfeel: This beer is super sour, maybe almost to sour, but I don't mind it. Light bodied with a high level of carbonation.

Overall, this is a sweet beer. I like the sourness, but it still has a sweet funky farmhouse taste. I can easily drink more of this.

mothman, Jul 30, 2009
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

I love RR.
Appearance is very good, nice lighter color, but looks thick with some head and lacing.
Smell is quite good, huge lemon zest and citrus with slight malt backbone- sour and sweet at the same time.
Taste is more of the same but a bit more tart up front, with the sweetness popping through very late.
Mouthfeel is very good, slightly carbonated.
Drinkability is very good.

supercolter, Jul 24, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle Serving: 375 mL
%ABV: 6.00%

Poured into a Duvel glass this wild has a cloudy golden color with a frothy and retreating head that quickly dissapates to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The Aromas are very crisp, refined, and citrusy. There is a ton of white vinegar in the nose along with dry tannins and light oak. I can definately smell the chardonay in this beer.

First taste is like an intense puckering tart candy. It's like a flavor explosion in the mouth. There is a ton of lemon, vinegar, and lime. This would be the perfect beer with fajitas and handmade corn tortillas.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and airy. There's a little carbonation on the tongue; just enough to increase the tartness of the beer.

Drinkabilty is a tough one to nail on this beer. I could drink one of these every year and be good so I can't say it's really all that drinkable. I don't want to break out the 750 in the cellar by any means. I do think the tastes, smells, and other components are great just not something I'd go back to repeatedly. I will try this again.

PerzentRizen, Jul 24, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch 002.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a thin white head. Not too much retention and no lacing.

S- Smells of sour and tart fruits, citrus, lemons, pears and maybe green apples.

T- Taste is super sour flavors up front. Lemons seems to be the most dominant fruity flavor. Some light caramel maltiness and herbal earthy notes as well.

M- Light to medium in body and in carbonation. After the initial pucker factor a very enjoyable brew.

D- Easy to drink just not one that I could drink on a regular basis. A very solid change of pace.

nrbw23, Jul 15, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 002 375ml Poured into a tulip glass.

This is a very different beer from what I'm used to. I've had a few sours and this one was the most pronounced in every way. Poured a hazy yellow with about an inch of white head leaving little lacing. Big lemon and citrus smell, some earthy tones and some funk. You can tell this one is going to be sour. First taste was WOW that sour almost in a bad way, but after i keep sipping my taste buds start to get used to what they are sensing. Very tart (obviously), acidic and citrus. This is a very powerful tasting brew, I was thinking about reviewing another beer tonight but I don't know if my taste buds can adjust. Mouth feel is good, not too much carbonation at all. I have an 003 in the cellar I might have to bust it out soon and compare notes.

Bobbydigi, Jul 09, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Murky yellow with a surprisingly full off white head. Great lacing.
lemondrops, funk and slight vinegar. Reminiscent of a Gueze.
SOUR. Lemon, with lots of acidity. Some viniger as well as funky yeast. It is obvious that this is no typical beer.
Very pleasant mouthfeel with carbonation just were it should be. Body is very full.
A great beer. Very sour. I will have this again at some point in the future.

alovesupreme, Jul 06, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to JVD for this
A bottle of batch 2 pored into a challis produced a good finger worth of head that disappeared completely rather quickly. The body of the brew was a clear straw colored yellow.

The aroma reminded me of a gueuze in a lot of ways. The typical funk and sour citrus coming from the glass. The flavor was somewhat the same to me it remined me of a gueuze. I know It's a wild, but the sour citris and vinigar flavors were great. The mouthfeel was medium to light with almost no carbonation

The bottle was quite enough for me but I will say I enjoyed every drop. I think the fact this is so hard to find will probably hinder me from looking forwad to driking this again . I was glad it reminded me of a gueuze so I can easly grab one to help remind me of the experiance

joepais, Jun 29, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 002. Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Russian River chalice. Beer was a yellow straw color with a very small, quickly fading white head. No lacing and very light carbonation.

Aroma was vinegar along with notes of grapefruit and other citrus fruits.

Taste was pretty tart and funky. Heavy lemon and grapefruit with some acidic green apple notes.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Similar to a nice gueuze.

Great beer, especially for fans of wild ales. Highly recommended.

drumrboy22, Jun 25, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch 003 poured from a 750ml bottle. Thanks Chris, you da man for opening this beauty from the cellar!

I have been wanting to try this wild ale for some time. Nice fine bubbled head, nice gold color. Smells of citrus and the best thing I can describe it as is TANG, before you add water and dilute it. Sour funk on the nose but moreso on the palate. There's a sweet/sour component where the brett/saccaros mingle that is very unique. Feels light on the mouth, but very complex. Excellent sour.

HiAIPA, Jun 21, 2009
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with a thin white filmy head.

S: Vinegary lemon zest and tartness all going together nicely here.

T: Lemon tart are big here. Slight vinegar taste as well.

M: Medium body with little carbonation and hardly any hops.
D: For the ABV this is highly drinkable. I love the tartness balanced by the lemon zest. Definitely worth the drink.

drgonzo3705, Jun 20, 2009