Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 3,103
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 519 | Hads: 2,345
4.03/5  rDev -9.8%

I poured Beatification into a snifter. It has the thick, velvety head that seem to crown every Russian River brew. It's quite cloudy, and glowing yellow.

Smells like champagne and Belgian yeast. Extremely tart!

Taste is unbelievably tart, like sweet tarts mixed with Granny smith apples. I can't penetrate the tartness to get a feel for the underlying complexity; I literally sweat at the temples when I drink this beer. I would say it's a taste you'll either love or hate, but I'm actually pretty on the fence about it.

The low ABV doesn't help drinkability much. The tartness is far too strong to make big swigs possible.

I'm glad I tried it. I have one aging (we'll revisit in a year) but I doubt I'll be laying down $23 for another bottle.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Batch #002, poured into a RR chalice.

Pale straw color, slightly hazy. Half-finger snow white head has little staying power, fading into a thin cap and collar in seconds. Funk hits the nose as soon as the cork pops. Once it hits the glass, grapefruit, grass, herbs, spice and lemon come out. Lemony, acidic sour bite on the palate first. After a while more erth, grass, spice and funk come through. Pronounced oakiness as well. Mouthfeel is tart, light and refreshing. I could drink this stuff like water.

Not particularly good looking, but everything else about this beer is spectacular. Complex, yet crisp and refreshing; Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Corked & caged 375ml bottle.
6% abv

Pours an opaque straw gold..small head of bright white foam doesn't stick around long.
yikes...absolute tart revelry..noxious fruit acidity hits the nostrils as soon as the cork pops off.. i'm in for a treat, i think..
Flavor is straight-up earthy malt sourness, with a definite funk, holy cow. Sourness is on full display, as the acidic citrus hits every tastebud and tells them exactly how it's going to be.
Ripe grapes & pungent lemon mixed with a light woody taste on the finish. Dry as dry.

This defines extreme beer, another good brew from Russian River.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Batch 002 compliments of swnicholson.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with almost now head at all -- a few bubbles and a slight swirl. Bits of overly moist, spotted lacing appear then disappear as I swirl.

S: Aromas of horse blanket, brett, grass, and some earthy funkiness, underlying hints of sour citrus like lemon, and something that smells similar to Playdough. Very similar to this years CL Cuvee de Castleton.

T: There's a lot going on here. Quite tart and liberally sour, slightly puckering so on the finish -- you can feel a slight sour burn if you breath out your nose immediately after you swallow -- though I've certainly had beers that pack a more sour punch like Cantillon Lou Pepe. I really can't pick out the base of this beer, but the overlaying flavors are lemony, slightly spicy, and positively funky.

M: Smooth and very slick, but still light to medium bodied. Much lower levels of carbonation than a champagne, though there are some tingly bubbles.

D: This is a really enjoyable wild ale, the mouthfeel is a bid lacking in my opinion but I'd often seek this beer out if I had ready access to it. Honestly though, if you're looking for sour, Cantillon's got this beat.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Pours a hazy blonde with absolutely no head.

S- Initially it smells very crisp and clean, but after a couple whiffs, a mild funky smell comes through. Tart grapes and brett along with earthy notes come through.

T- Sour lemon and brett with notes of white pepper. This one's pretty complex. Very crisp lemony finish.

M- Puckeringly sour with a crisp, dry finish.

D- In spite of how sour it was, this was extremely enjoyable. I can't wait to try it again!

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%

[PH1] Poured a cloudy, yellow red color with a small white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of brett, lemon peel, sour grape, white pepper, vanilla, tropical fruits, honey dew, cherry, and strawberry. Taste of lacto, brett, vanilla, citrus, and green apple. Phenomenal beer!

[Batch 2] Poured a hazy golden color with a small, white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of brett, and that special Russian River funky blend, citrus fruits, wood, light vanilla, grapes, toffee, and lemongrass. Taste was sour, some citrus, green grapes, some apple, but damn that yeast Russian River uses really eats all the sugars, quite sour, like a fresh Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours golden with no head at all. A little cloudy. Smell is earthy and finishes sour. Tastes like tart cherries and maybe even some lemon in the finish. Does not taste as earthy as it smells. Drinkablity is only hurt by the acidic feel as it enters the stomach.

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 002

A - Into da snifta. A cloudy sunset gold, with a layer of bubbles one could *almost* call a head. A very, "I just woke up and peed in this glass" quality to it. Not truly appetizing, but not horrid. No lacing.

S - NOW we're talking. So good. Major brett vibes, white wine, huge oakiness, limes, sour apples, fruit stand. Very VERY slight vinegar notes. The more I drink, the more I smell potpourri... christmas potpourri.

T - I was totally in the mood for a sour and this one hits the mark. Lots of tartness up front, puckering. Lactic acidity, dry finish. Earthy, yet refined. Oak highly noted in the finish, also sour green apples, citrus zest, apple cider vinegar. Fantastic in both execution and taste. It leaves your lips salty and sour after sips.

M - Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Perfect for the style.

D - Hugely drinkable for the tastes involved. I couldn't really drink this ALL night, but if I had more than one, I'd be reaching for it.

Notes: This doesn't even compare to JP's Biere De Mars Grand Reserve in terms of tartness. That shit was ridiculous.

4.07/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12.7 oz. bottle (Batch 002) into a snifter.

Appears a cloudy golden yellow with a quarter inch white head that sinks down quickly to a skim. Doesn't leave much lacing at all.

Aroma is nice and sour. Fruity, with a dominant granny smith apple tartness, perhaps a bit of tropical fruit is actually present behind the tart.

Taste is very sour, almost to the point that not much else comes through. I'm getting more of the apple tartness but now lots of lemon.

Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation level is quite low but it is appropriate. Very soft on the palate.

Not as good as Supplication, perhaps a bit too sour almost, but it's still very tasty. I hope I get the chance to try some more RR sours sometime soon.

3.8/5  rDev -15%

Batch 002

A: Hazy golden yellow/orange. Pours with virtually no head. Fairly active carbonation bubbling up to the top that quickly mellows

S: Tart green apples. Funky, a little musty.

T/M: Vert tart; probably the tartest beer I've had. Tastes like sour green apples. Earthy. Dry. Not as light bodied, carbonated and crisp as a Belgium gueuze. Interesting stuff.

D: Drinkable in the sense that it's low in abv. But unless you enjoy Warheads regularly you probably aren't going to consume more than a glass of this.

Of the RRBC sours, I put this one last. It's a little too tart for my tastes. But that doesn't mean it's not an interesting one.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

I just returnet to the United States after a seven month combat deployment in support of Opperation Iraqi Freedom and Opperation Enduring Freedom. I have wanted a great beer for a long time, and I have been anxiously awaiting the day I got to have a truely great sour beer. I waited until the last day of my vacation to open it.

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color with an almost non existant head that disappears instantly, leaving no laces. It looks quite thin.

This beer as a sour aroma. It smells slightly of viniger, but not in a bad way at all. It has a fruity aroma also. Mostly apple, but with some lemon. It has a slight earthy yeast aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Sour, and great. Slightly viniger like. It has a citrusy fruit flavor of lemons. Also so apple flavor. Mmmmm, that sour flavor is great.

This beer is thin, and very low in carbonation, suiting it quite nicely. It is very crisp, and refreshing.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. It tastes great, and is low in alcohol. I know that after a few, I could still taste the complexity of this fine beer. If I could get a few cases of it, I would love it.

Overall: Great beer by a great brewer. I have been wanting it for quite some time, and now I am satisfied. I WILL have this one again. If they ever make a Batch 3.

2.46/5  rDev -45%

Going to have to write a very bland review since my prior review was killed by the man.

A: hazy gold appearance with white head.

S: funky, musty and sour

T: Too sour. Mouth puckering, lemons, lots of funk. The sourness is unbalanced in my view and overwhelms the other flavors in this beer.

M: Mouth puckering.

D: I love most Russian River brews, and want to like this one, but I don't. Not very drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Batch 2. Poured in a big wine glass at 59 F/ 15 C.

Beautiful pale hazy gold. Minimal ring of white froth and a bit of lace.

Sour funky aroma. Sourdough, yogurt, green apple, lemon and berries, bacterial funk like damp earth and mature goat cheese, and some wood and vanilla.

Tastes powerfully sour, like yogurt squared, with clean bright fruit and deep drying wood. Quite dry and refreshing. After several seconds, a deep bacterial note like aged goat cheese develops. Lingering acidity and wood.

Soft carbonation with prickly acidity and some woody astringency. Quite refreshing and drinkable.

Great beer.

3.04/5  rDev -32%

Paid $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Poured into the largest wine glass I have and shared with my girlfriend.

3/4 inch very fizzy white head. Heavily carbonated. A very cloudy yellowish gold color. Not too much head retention. Little lacing.

The wild yeast dominates the nose. Some grassier hops balance this one out. Carbonation present in the nose as well. Hints of dank bread - this would probably be a great pairing with good, fresh bread. Perhaps a bit of lemon in there as well - quite a complex offering. Not the most pleasant aroma, but certainly you have to give them credit for creating something this unique.

Taste is very sour. Very wild. Very different. Likeable? Not really, but it was fun to try. The taste is quite different than the smell - almost like sour candy. That sour taste lingers for a long time. Not as complex as the nose.

Very carbonated mouth. Light body. Definitely a sipper. Not sure of the occasion I would want to bust this one out for.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours a clear light golden hue with a big fizzy head. Dies rather quickly but can be brought back by a simple swirl of the glass.

S: Tart lemons, funk, and sweet tarts.

T: Lots of lemon up front with some crushed sweet tarts coming thru. A bit of pungent cheese in the middle and a bit of oak in the finish. Rather bold and sour.

M: Light in body with a great deal of fizz. Stings the mouth and tongue a bit with its sourness. Dry in the finish.

D: Drink the whole bottle myself without problem. A bigger serving would be too much though.

Very nice overall.

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

A very interesting beer. Poured from a 375ml for a buddies birthday last night. The color was golden amber, good carbonation, the right amount of head (a lot less than some temptations I've popped which seem to have too much carbonation and have to settle).

The taste was strange. Sour, funky, but delicious. Every sip got better. I passed the glass around and the general consensus was highly recommended.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a .375 to a snifter the liquid is gold and has very good carbonation. The head is small white and leave some lace.

The smell is sour and stinky, but invating like so many other stinky things I love.

The taste is just addiction, I first you wonder what the attraction of such a nasty concoction is but then you just keep sipping until it is gone then you want more. It is just odd. Favors of sour stink, and outstanding blend of stinks. I just have no clue, odd fruits and stink.

The mouthfeel is good, a light and airy brew with a light stinky body and good stinky carbonation.

The drinkability is fantastic. That is all I can say, give me more.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a murky golden amber in color. Decent head on the pour. Smell is very tart and funky. I had this right after drinking the Supplication and this is vastly more sour than the it. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very good citrusy, sour fruit flavors. Perfect amount of carbonation to go with the sourness. I very much prefer this to the Supplication. Highly recommend.

3.92/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle from a trade with RblWthACoz.

a - cloudy gold, fading/thin head.

s - very similar to Cantillion (I don't have a *ton* of experience tasting sours). Lots of sour, yum. Not as much sulphur as Cantillion.

t - Starts out very sour and then fades away into watery. Like Cantillion diluted with maybe 20% water. Nice, agreeable sour flavors, but not blow-me-away sour.

m - Easy, not too puckering

d - pretty high. Really good pLambic. Would probably age well for 1-2 yrs?

I prefer the Cantillion, but this was delicious. I'm a little proud of the fact that it was made in the US!

MORE MORE MORE MORE!! Who is going to start putting out large volumes of American Sour so I can buy cases?!

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

I got this and a bunch of other Russian River goodness from Jhenry04. Thanks Jason, I've been wanting to get my hands on this stuff for awhile.

Hazy golden color with almost no head at all.

Smells sour. Really sour.

This is the sourest beer I have ever had. I can almost pick up some citrus and fruit notes, but everytime I try to put my finger on it, the sourness takes over. This beer reminds me of that candy "warheads." I think it's a good thing, I like this one for sure.

Mouthfeel is puckering. If you let this beer sit in your mouth for too long, you will eventually pucker. I think that's pretty cool for a wild ale.

Drinkability is good, not something you can down though.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

A : Pours a hazy golden color with very little head

S : Funkness, tartness, and not much else

T : This is just pure funkyness and tartness. Those just so overwhelmed me that I did not really pick up any flavors. Nothing wrong with that in this case, it was awesome

M : Light, crisp, and dry

D : I'm ready to pucker up and have another. This is a great example of how you can take the tartness and funkyness to the extreme.

(from notes taken in early august 2008)

my brother (abcjiugui) got this in a trade with brewerb

batch 002, poured into small tulips

hazy, deep golden straw. some head, soon fades to wisps and ring. minimal lacing.

aroma of tart vinegar and cider, with lots of wood note and a mild barn funk. grass and hay mingle. whiff of phenols.

quite sharp acidity from the start. both cider and champagne vinegars. woody note melds with mild bitterness and sharp acidity int a tart, semi-dry finishi, with hints of phenols and mild funk.

not too thin, but lots of acidic texture and astringency. moderate carbonation does help to accentuate acidity and other flavors.

not bad, but pricey for what you get. i expected a little more for a top 100 beer...

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to swnicholson for this a while back via trade.

A: Hazy blonde color with minimal white head. Not that impressive looking in the glass.

S: Funk and tartness. Tart then funk.

T:This is a sour warhead in beer form. Intense pucker.The tartness just sticks to your lips and will not leave. The tartest beer I have ever had. That is a good thing.

M: Super crisp. Found it refreshing.

D: I really didn't write much for this review but "wonderful pain" was the only note I took. This was batch 002 which was spontaneously fermented. Really just an awesome beer. Would love to always have a bottle or two on hand.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Bought a few bottles from the release a while back, big thanks to fartingdog and DrJay for facilitating it!

Pours an almost clear light amber, almost golden, thin bone white head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around my new Bruery glass, drops some nice lace spots on the glass. Smell is badass, tons of oak and vinegar, lots of funky goodness, wine, vanilla, some honey and biscuity malty sweetness underneath the acidic lemons, almost a fresh floral character, kind of like a riesling, pretty awesome. Taste is intense, sweet and sour beginning when it kicks you in the tonge, more of a sweet wine, I get a lot of dry riesling character, fresh floral and honey notes, then the funky acidic character hits, like toasted lemons, vinegar, wood, very nice herbal sour finish, perfectly balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied, silky smooth, low carbonation, goes down insane easy for a sour. Not as much of a palate bruiser as I expected, just perfectly balanced sourness, tons of character, I could drink this stuff all day.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Batch #2
Pours a hazy yellow color with orange-ish hues, with a small white head. In the aroma, tart like a sweettart, and a small vinegar note. In the taste, small fruitiness and tart, again kind of like a sweettart. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tartness in the aftertaste. Fantastic, big sourness, small fruitiness, primarily lemon like citrus, and just a hint of oak.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company