1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,611 | Reviews: 495 | Show All Ratings:
waltonc

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -47.4%

Going to have to write a very bland review since my prior review was killed by the man.

A: hazy gold appearance with white head.

S: funky, musty and sour

T: Too sour. Mouth puckering, lemons, lots of funk. The sourness is unbalanced in my view and overwhelms the other flavors in this beer.

M: Mouth puckering.

D: I love most Russian River brews, and want to like this one, but I don't. Not very drinkable.

10-05-2008 00:52:24 | More by waltonc
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

2.7/5  rDev -40.8%

Obviously, I do not understand sour beers (or the people who make them and drink them). I'm trying to learn to appreciate them, but a beer like this, it just defies imagination.

The beer pours a hazy, lemony honey color with decent head retention and lacing. The aroma of this beer is off the charts. I guess I get some lemon zest, but the beer is so tart smelling, and the barnyard funk so pronounced, I'm just amazed by what I smell. As odd as this beer smells, the flavors are just over the top. There is the lemon zest flavor, but I also get apple cider vinegar and just sour, sour, sour. Each sip has me grimacing in pain. The sour flavors aside, I will say the beer is pretty light on the palate with the abv. very well disguised. As for drinkability, the sour flavor is just overpowering and is nearly more then I can handle.

Shared this bottle with 4 other people thank God, including a guy at the table next to me (Belmont Station cafe) drinking some gueuze. He was quite grateful, noting the Beatification was much better then his gueuze. Perhaps. I just wish I had the capacity to appreciate it as much as he did.

07-27-2008 18:07:51 | More by johnmichaelsen
htomsirveaux

2.93/5  rDev -35.7%

375 mL bottle tried 20 Sep 2008.

Poured into a tulip glass. Very small white head, well carbonated. Slightly cloudy bright orange gold color. Smells quite tart, sour, with cherry pits and stone fruit. Good up to this point, then the wheels come off while tasting. Starts sour, the middle is tart and the finish is sour. This overwhelming sourness invades my mouth and beats my tastebuds senseless. Any remaining functioning tastebuds are mopped up by the long lingering sour aftertaste. All of my orifices are puckered by this assault. There are probably some other underlying flavors but they are lost to me.

I can see why some people might like this, and I respect that it's a difficult style to make, but holy cow...

01-29-2009 04:37:09 | More by htomsirveaux
Benway

2.95/5  rDev -35.3%

Huge fan of Russian River and tasted many of the 'ation' series years ago at Toronado. At that point it seemed that many of the barrel aged (chardonnay, pinot, etc) beers were clearly going to find a foothold. Thankfully for us, they have and are getting better and better.

My local shop has carried as many bottled 'ations' as he can get his hands on and I was happy to spend $12 for an 002 batch of Beatification. In the case of this one, it felt extremely sour for sour's sake. Each sip reminded me of biting in to a Zot in elementary school. So rough and so compelling at the same time, like staring at a car accident.

I'm happy to have had this experience and will enjoy watching others try it. I will probably wait for the next 'ation' though.

04-11-2008 02:38:57 | More by Benway
ibbjamin

2.95/5  rDev -35.3%

Paid $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Poured into the largest wine glass I have and shared with my girlfriend.

3/4 inch very fizzy white head. Heavily carbonated. A very cloudy yellowish gold color. Not too much head retention. Little lacing.

The wild yeast dominates the nose. Some grassier hops balance this one out. Carbonation present in the nose as well. Hints of dank bread - this would probably be a great pairing with good, fresh bread. Perhaps a bit of lemon in there as well - quite a complex offering. Not the most pleasant aroma, but certainly you have to give them credit for creating something this unique.

Taste is very sour. Very wild. Very different. Likeable? Not really, but it was fun to try. The taste is quite different than the smell - almost like sour candy. That sour taste lingers for a long time. Not as complex as the nose.

Very carbonated mouth. Light body. Definitely a sipper. Not sure of the occasion I would want to bust this one out for.

10-04-2008 01:33:57 | More by ibbjamin
MrVonzipper

3.03/5  rDev -33.6%

Bright yellow with a short bubbly white head. Low to no retention.

Big sour nose. A touch of sour apple. Funky.

Very sour flavor. Lemon juice and rind. That's pretty much it.

Mouth is light and crisp. High carb.

Overall not a Lot of complexity IMO. Very one note sour. Sour lemony citrus.

06-03-2012 05:19:43 | More by MrVonzipper
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7 oz. caged and corked > Stella glass
batch 002

Looks like clover honey with an orange glow. 1" white frothy foam crowns and falls pretty fast with plenty of stickiness left over.

Whoa, it's a nice, big aroma. I'm sitting at least two feet away from the glass and the breeze from outside is whaffing the aroma my way! Sweet and sour fruits, tangy grapes, mandarin oranges, sweet/tart candy, musty herbs.

First impression: CRINGE!!!! major bitter-face. Unlike Temptation and Supplication the flavor of this wild bad-boy is just too funked-up for me, but only because of it's intense, medicinal and metallic bitter flavor that kills everything else. Tart/metallic/bitter that's about all I'm getting. Dissapointing to say the least, I really enjoyed the Other wild ales from these guys.

The feel is light and crisp at first, then becomes much less lively pretty fast. Perhaps some oxidation has taken effect with this one?

07-14-2008 22:41:36 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
maximum12

3.23/5  rDev -29.2%

Thanks to cloudskipper who sent me this bottle via the Secret Santa BIF almost a year ago. I've been saving it for the right time, &, well, that time is now. It's warm in Minnesota in late November, that's reason enough to celebrate!

Batch 3. Only 2/3 of the bottle poured between my wife & I initially to keep the sediment trapped in the big, cool bottle. Pours an almost radioactive yellow with evident carbonation but no head to speak of. Smell is sheer wild. Dry, cirtus, with a tangy undercurrent of champagne, which must be the yeast. Interesting.

Beatification is mouth-puckeringly dry. Even before the taste kicks in, this is the primary impression I come away with from the first sip. After I unpucker, I get the sour lemon, the brett, the wood drying out my mouth even more. I'm going to need to drink some liquid after I finish this. Drinkable? Even for a wild, this is down on the scale for me.

Good beer. Unfairly, I was expecting some kind of heavenly notes to sound when I opened the bottle, but this wasn't as good as some other sours I've had. Good, but simple.

11-20-2009 02:56:19 | More by maximum12
tjthresh

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

375ml bottle from Capone's. My 100th rating of a beer brewed in California. Pours hazy straw yellow with no head. The aroma is an aggressive blend of citrus rind, hay or straw, funky cheese. The flavor is very tart and yogurt-ish. Just a little bit if malty sweetness left. Medium body with tons of carbonation and a bone dry finish.

01-11-2009 18:19:45 | More by tjthresh
Tiklmelmo

3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

Shared a bomber with carps12 at a tasting this summer (2k9)

A - Pale yellow / straw colored, with a hint of orange. Very minimal head that dissipated almost immediatley.

S - Holy horse blanket. That descriptor didn't mean anything to me until I smelled this beer. This is the definition of "barnyard". Hints of lemony citrus as well.

T - SOUR SOUR SOUR. I'm a huge fan of geuze, lambic, flanders red, etc, but this one is puckeringly sour. Pushing the limits here for me, especially at first. Once the palate adjusts, it's not too bad, but up front it's pretty intense. Lots of sweaty lemon with some wood notes.

M - Not a huge amount of carbonation, but not flat. The acidity here overpowers my first impressions, but evens out a bit on the third sip and beyond.

D - Tough to drink at first, but after your palate adjusts it's actually pretty good. Still was tough to finish the bottle between two of us.

Overall, it's an interesting beer, but not terribly balanced, and missing the complexity imparted by the barrels of various other Russian River "sours". Worth trying if you have the chance, but it's not something I would go out of my way to try again.

11-11-2009 05:10:42 | More by Tiklmelmo
barefootbrewer

Mississippi

3.38/5  rDev -25.9%

A: This brew poured a yellow/golden color with virtually no head.

S: The aroma was sour and wine like.

T: Help! My tastebuds were just ambushed! This is a sour/wine like brew. Sour apples are definitely apparent. I think I'm tasting brett in the finish.

M: Thin and remarkably dry.

D: While this is an interesting beer, I'm not totally in tune with the style yet....but I'm trying (I kept style in mind while rating).

06-23-2008 21:39:29 | More by barefootbrewer
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -25.9%

A foggy pale yellow pour with just a squidge of lacing. Looks flat. Quick swirl and not much pops up.
Unripe fruit smell, green. A good sourness dominates, lemon and key lime. Some biscuit. Juicy.

Lemon sourness in the mouth. Tingles a bit and the biscuit comes out. Seems young. At this abv I shouldn't get much alcohol, but I think I get some. Not sure about this.
Good sour beer, would like to see more flavor. Just kinda bland, imho.

10-07-2009 06:42:53 | More by Mebuzzard
russwbeck

3.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Batch 4

A: Hazy yellow pour with a number of bubbles racing to the top of the beer. About a finger or two of white head sticks around for a good amount of time, and laces nicely.

S: It smells like sour tartness and not much else. Slight oaky and yeasty underneath.

T: Like the smell, I'm having difficulty describing the taste. It's basically just tart and sour with not much complexity. That's not to say I don't like it, I think it tastes very good, it just isn't much different than any American Wild Ale you could pick up off the shelf. The balance between tart and sweet is quite nice.

MF: Light and bubbly, the cork almost popped out of the bottle without any pulling. Very drinkable I would say.

O: For what this took to get I'm a bit disappointed. It just tasted a bit average for me. The aggressive sour is impressive, but the rest of the beer doesn't entirely back it up.

08-12-2012 00:57:50 | More by russwbeck
Photo of

3.53/5  rDev -22.6%

12oz. bottle, acquired in San Francisco.

Slightly hazy, dark yellow-light golden color. Modest, white head. No legs, some lacing. Cork eased out of the bottle with a gentle phht!

Scent was sour! Touch of vinegar. Fruit -- sour apples, vitamin C. Some funkiness/earthiness. Cellar smell.

Taste was SOUR. Acetic acid, vitamin C again. Grapefruit juice comes to mind, lingers in a big way. Lemon juice.

Light to medium body. Low carbonation, expected higher. Very dry, approaching puckering.

Alas, if this is one of the best of the bunch for sours, I'm probably never going to be a big fan. Enjoyed Temptation and Supplication much more. I must say that it nails the description on the bottle and for the style.

06-13-2008 16:35:57 | More by
OlieIPA

3.53/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A Batch 3 - 750 mL bottle that was poured into tulip glass at approximately 48 degrees.

A: A crystal clear golden colored brew with nice head retention, reforming itself relatively quick after a vigorous swirl, and mild lacing.

S: Tart, earthy, and perhaps banana are the main aromas I pick up. Some oak qualities come out a bit more as the beer warms up, but doesn't seem to be the main focus of the smell.

T: A lot of citrus and sour tones, along with an extremely robust oak quality. Many times, I thought it came off too harsh and deterred me from taking additional sips.

M: Good amount carbonation, medium to light body, and slightly dry.

D: The alcohol is hidden extremely well, but the strong and harsh woody finish was hard to tolerate.

Overall: Had anticipated more out of this beer, but a decent beer for the style. Not sure I'll be seeking this one out again, but worth a try. Cheers!

01-17-2010 04:39:37 | More by OlieIPA
iadler

3.55/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 5. Thanks to exitmusic00 for cracking this open prior to our bcbs vertical tasting.

A- Pours a bright gold with a thin white head that leaves minimal lacing.

S- Plenty of lemon juice and peel as well as peach upfront, followed by lacto, horse blanket and vinegar.

T- Damn this is sour, just tons of lemon juice, lemon peel, lacto, horse blanket, vinegar and a hint of peach.

M- Fairly high carbonation and a light body with a long dry finish with the sourness lingering on.

O- This is quite sour, but that's pretty much it. Nothing too complex and am confused why this is considered a top wild from RR. Have had a few others from them and this just seems to lack any depth their other offerings had. Glad I got to finally try it, but wouldn't really seek it out.

07-08-2012 20:13:33 | More by iadler
Lunch

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 750ml bottle at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Really a unique and beautiful beer. Almost like a neon yellow with a slightly off-white head that quick dissolves in a skin.

S: Wow, this is going to be a sour beverage. I must say that I am just now diving in the world of sours and I can certainly appreciate the style, but I am developing a taste and smell for it as I go along. A good degree of funk of citrus, having a heard time with this one.

T: The smell was funky, but the taste is out of this world. Perhaps the most unique tasting beer I have ever tried. Seems very well-crafted, but it is so sour and funky. Lots of citrus going on as well as great tartness and no sense at all of vinegar which is good thing, for me at least. I feel fortunate to have be able to try this and certainly appreciate it, but I don't feel that my palate is developed enough to pull out all of its complexities.

M: Mouthfeel is quite nice and somewhat lively while being medium-bodied.

D: The extremely sourness is the only limiting factor.

Overall this beer was a true experience and a great leap for me into sours. Well-crafted from a unique brewery and certainly one I would like to revisit in the future.

02-23-2010 21:11:36 | More by Lunch
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -20%

Batch 3 courtesy of grub and batch 2 courtesy of biegaman, sampled on back-to-back nights. Thanks guys for this rare treat! My first wild ale.

Cloudy yellow pour with a tight white cap that dissipates to a ring and leaves a few spots of lace. HUGE sour aroma of lemons and green apples taht really leaps out at you. Mega-sour flavour, with strong lemon and citrus notes throughout. Odd hints of apple, and a touch of funk. Just impressively sour and overwhelming for me. Light body, with a crisp, dry finish.

I don't think sours are really my thing, whihc will save me a bundle in the long run. However, I'm quite impressed with this and I can see why some people have fallen in love with the style. A very well-constructed beer, but not one I'd look for any time soon.

08-09-2009 21:16:12 | More by bobsy
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -19.3%

Batch 3.

A: Hazy straw, thin ring of retention leaves a little leg/lace.

S: Huge, overpowering apple tartness. Impressive.

T: A real mouth-puckering tartness, like an unblended lambic. The lactic acid reminds me of sour keys, with hints of underlying candied fruit. The subtleties are certainly lost on me.

M: Light to moderate body has a dry finish.

D: A little tart for my tastes.

Thanks Grub!

08-09-2009 01:02:13 | More by Derek
tewaris

3.73/5  rDev -18.2%

Beatification Batch 3
Wild ale brewed in the Gueuze way if I am not mistaken.

750 ml cork and caged bottle enjoyed at Monk's Table. Split with a friend. Poured into a tall, flute like glass. Feels good to slay a whale!

Clear golden with a good white head. Very carbonated, almost fizzy. Aroma is funk, lactic acid and diaper. Tastes intensely and insanely sour with notably less funk compared to the aroma. Strong lemon, medium oak with a slightly tannic and bitter finish.

Very very crisp and bone dry, although the later part of the bottle drank slightly mellower. I like it by all means but I don't see the demand. It was worth the 50 dollars spent only because of its reputation. Assuming that it is fair to compare it to other Gueuze, it's not top shelf.

4, 4, 3.5, 4.5, 3.5

02-07-2012 18:21:40 | More by tewaris
Lothore

Review #200
Batch 2

A- Pours a cloudy peach color with little to no head.

S- Mostly all brett, some funky sour tones along with some barnyard funk.

T- By far the most sour of the recently released RR sours. Starts of with a strong sourness which subsides and brings forth apples and citrus notes followed by a bit of grape.

M- Medium viscosity, not a lot of carbonation.

D- My least favorite of the RR sours but still a good beer thats worth trying.

04-19-2008 04:56:34 | More by Lothore
abfraser

Batch 002

A: Hazy golden yellow/orange. Pours with virtually no head. Fairly active carbonation bubbling up to the top that quickly mellows

S: Tart green apples. Funky, a little musty.

T/M: Vert tart; probably the tartest beer I've had. Tastes like sour green apples. Earthy. Dry. Not as light bodied, carbonated and crisp as a Belgium gueuze. Interesting stuff.

D: Drinkable in the sense that it's low in abv. But unless you enjoy Warheads regularly you probably aren't going to consume more than a glass of this.

Of the RRBC sours, I put this one last. It's a little too tart for my tastes. But that doesn't mean it's not an interesting one.

10-25-2008 22:06:04 | More by abfraser
NoLiberty

3.78/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours into a glass that sits next to a glass of Boon Geuze. Color is a golden straw and slightly cloudy. Initial head that settles into almost nothing. No lacing and very calm all around.

The aroma is very funky, lots of sweaty horse blanket quality with subtle tartness. Light sweet fruitiness. It's truly a farmhouse smelling beer with some light citrus spike and floral orange. Very nice.

Taste is pretty tart overall, with seemingly strong acetobacter characteristics and possibly vinegary notes way down. The beer has a very tart bite. Alcohol finishes out and gives a soft flavor to the end.

Mouthfeel is quite flat, not too carbonated. Pretty dry without much sweetness. Light bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good but a little over the top with tartness so not something you could sip on for too long. Nice flavors and interesting qualities.

10-10-2009 03:40:12 | More by NoLiberty
QuentinCompson

3.8/5  rDev -16.7%

12ozish bottle of Batch 002

Was dark, so really only got main taste notes, but looked nice enough.

S - Vinegar, sour apples

T-M - Nice champagney carbonation, sour brew, tastes like it smells; touch vinegary with sour citrus twists; lemony

D - Enjoyable, though I probably wouldnt have another right away. Though it's a nice wild brew

02-06-2009 02:13:10 | More by QuentinCompson
Damian

3.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Drank from a 12.70 fl. oz. (375 ml) cork and caged bottle
Batch 002
Served in a tulip

Acquired in a trade with mikesgroove

The beer poured a hazy, golden yellow with no head but merely a thin layer of bubbly, bright white froth.

The aroma was super funky and tart. Sour to the max! Citric and acidic with intense lemon notes. Musty and dry. Hay and horse blanket came through strong. As the beer warmed, the mustiness really intensified.

The taste was outrageously sour. At first, this beer more closely resembled pure lemon juice than a "typical" beer. Extremely acidic. Earthy, musty, funky and barnyard-y.The dry, semi-tannic finish was oaky, funky and musty with an intense lemony tartness. Loads of woody earthiness carried into the lingering aftertaste. A surprising amount of hops were noticeable as well. Overall, the flavor profile was rather interesting and unique, yet it definitely was not as complex as I hoped it would be.

The mouthfeel was thinner bodied with a fine, champagne-like effervescence. Slightly watery. For some reason, the lively carbonation did not smooth out or fluff up the beer.

This beer was blindingly sour. In fact, I cannot think of another that is more tart. Even though I love most sour beers, I found this one to be rather overwhelming and somewhat lacking in a number of areas.

02-27-2009 01:00:44 | More by Damian