Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 3,128
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!
Reviews: 527 | Hads: 2,397
4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a murky golden amber in color. Decent head on the pour. Smell is very tart and funky. I had this right after drinking the Supplication and this is vastly more sour than the it. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very good citrusy, sour fruit flavors. Perfect amount of carbonation to go with the sourness. I very much prefer this to the Supplication. Highly recommend.

3.92/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle from a trade with RblWthACoz.

a - cloudy gold, fading/thin head.

s - very similar to Cantillion (I don't have a *ton* of experience tasting sours). Lots of sour, yum. Not as much sulphur as Cantillion.

t - Starts out very sour and then fades away into watery. Like Cantillion diluted with maybe 20% water. Nice, agreeable sour flavors, but not blow-me-away sour.

m - Easy, not too puckering

d - pretty high. Really good pLambic. Would probably age well for 1-2 yrs?

I prefer the Cantillion, but this was delicious. I'm a little proud of the fact that it was made in the US!

MORE MORE MORE MORE!! Who is going to start putting out large volumes of American Sour so I can buy cases?!

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

I got this and a bunch of other Russian River goodness from Jhenry04. Thanks Jason, I've been wanting to get my hands on this stuff for awhile.

Hazy golden color with almost no head at all.

Smells sour. Really sour.

This is the sourest beer I have ever had. I can almost pick up some citrus and fruit notes, but everytime I try to put my finger on it, the sourness takes over. This beer reminds me of that candy "warheads." I think it's a good thing, I like this one for sure.

Mouthfeel is puckering. If you let this beer sit in your mouth for too long, you will eventually pucker. I think that's pretty cool for a wild ale.

Drinkability is good, not something you can down though.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

A : Pours a hazy golden color with very little head

S : Funkness, tartness, and not much else

T : This is just pure funkyness and tartness. Those just so overwhelmed me that I did not really pick up any flavors. Nothing wrong with that in this case, it was awesome

M : Light, crisp, and dry

D : I'm ready to pucker up and have another. This is a great example of how you can take the tartness and funkyness to the extreme.

(from notes taken in early august 2008)

my brother (abcjiugui) got this in a trade with brewerb

batch 002, poured into small tulips

hazy, deep golden straw. some head, soon fades to wisps and ring. minimal lacing.

aroma of tart vinegar and cider, with lots of wood note and a mild barn funk. grass and hay mingle. whiff of phenols.

quite sharp acidity from the start. both cider and champagne vinegars. woody note melds with mild bitterness and sharp acidity int a tart, semi-dry finishi, with hints of phenols and mild funk.

not too thin, but lots of acidic texture and astringency. moderate carbonation does help to accentuate acidity and other flavors.

not bad, but pricey for what you get. i expected a little more for a top 100 beer...

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to swnicholson for this a while back via trade.

A: Hazy blonde color with minimal white head. Not that impressive looking in the glass.

S: Funk and tartness. Tart then funk.

T:This is a sour warhead in beer form. Intense pucker.The tartness just sticks to your lips and will not leave. The tartest beer I have ever had. That is a good thing.

M: Super crisp. Found it refreshing.

D: I really didn't write much for this review but "wonderful pain" was the only note I took. This was batch 002 which was spontaneously fermented. Really just an awesome beer. Would love to always have a bottle or two on hand.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Bought a few bottles from the release a while back, big thanks to fartingdog and DrJay for facilitating it!

Pours an almost clear light amber, almost golden, thin bone white head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around my new Bruery glass, drops some nice lace spots on the glass. Smell is badass, tons of oak and vinegar, lots of funky goodness, wine, vanilla, some honey and biscuity malty sweetness underneath the acidic lemons, almost a fresh floral character, kind of like a riesling, pretty awesome. Taste is intense, sweet and sour beginning when it kicks you in the tonge, more of a sweet wine, I get a lot of dry riesling character, fresh floral and honey notes, then the funky acidic character hits, like toasted lemons, vinegar, wood, very nice herbal sour finish, perfectly balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied, silky smooth, low carbonation, goes down insane easy for a sour. Not as much of a palate bruiser as I expected, just perfectly balanced sourness, tons of character, I could drink this stuff all day.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Batch #2
Pours a hazy yellow color with orange-ish hues, with a small white head. In the aroma, tart like a sweettart, and a small vinegar note. In the taste, small fruitiness and tart, again kind of like a sweettart. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tartness in the aftertaste. Fantastic, big sourness, small fruitiness, primarily lemon like citrus, and just a hint of oak.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Again thanks go out to BrewerB for hooking me up with this beer. 375mL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours the slightest bit of hazy bright golden yellow with a quickly disappearing pure white and tightly packed bubbly head that is gone completly in a minute or two. Carbonation is quite noticeable as little chains of it bubble up from the sides of the glass. It looks good but not great just sitting in the glass with a certain kind of quiet dignity.

S: As soon as I popped the cork on this bottle I could get a whiff of the wonderful blend of oak and earthy lemon pepper sourness. Lemon, sour cherry, oak and white pepper all work together quite nicely to create a very appealing aroma.

T/MF: This beer is knock your socks off sour like a handfull of those candy warheads. This is not to say the beer isn't complex as there seems to be quite a lot going on in the taste department. The woodiness of the beer is very noticable as well as unripe pear, sour apple and lemon, white grape skins as well as a good amount of sharp white cheddar. Mouthfeel is quite thick for a beer this size and feels on the heavier side of medium bodied though I imagine this is due to the fact that the beer just leaves the tongue ravaged in a sour wake, that is, though the beer may be gone it certainly still feels as though its sitting on the sides of your tongue.

D: While this beer had some amazing qualities in both the aroma and taste departments it is just too sour to be supremely drinkable. After every sip if was burping and could feel the sourness collecting at the base of my throat, I drank this beer for over and hour and can easily say that one is enough even though it tastes quite good.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Batch 002, small caorked and caged bottle. Courtesy of someone who I unfortunately lost track after my basement flooded.

It is a bright orange, somewhat hazy brew with a rather small white head that shows modest retention and lacing.
Aroma is dominated by tart, acidic notes; some of that expected leathery funkiness, but faint; oakiness is also subtle, although increases as it warms up.
This is dry, very tart and acidic, with little to no accompanying sweet notes. Fruity, citric notes come in, but the tartness just about overwhelms everything else.
Lacking complexity and balance to some extent, but still a very pleasant beer.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

Batch 002. Yellow gold in colour and fairly clear. A wisp of white head. Carbonation slowly rising.

Peach aroma, with a fairly strong sourness and a bit of oak. Nice to the nose.

Tastes of peach juice, funk, sourness, orange rind and oak. Quite a nice mix. Sourness strong but not the strongest I've had from this brewery.

Light bodied but not watery, though at moments it has a very wet feel to it. Fairly well carbonated.

A sipper, but not the slowest beer to drink. I must say I wasn't disappointed by the wild ales I've had from Russian River.

3.95/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle (marked batch 2) into a Russian River Barrel Aged Beers glass.

A: Pours a clear blonde color with an orangish tint.

S: Light fruits such as pear and green apples, but most of all, a whole lot of sour funk.

T: The first flavors on the palate are that of fruits such as orange, pear, and green apples. Quite a bit of lemon as well. The finish is very tart, acidic, and sour. The aftertaste is very dry. Not near as much funk present in the taste as there is in the aroma.

M: Very, very fine carbonation with a dry, mouth puckering mouthfeel.

D: A very interesting beer that would pair very well with food. I think all of Russian River's wild ales do a lot better when paired with some food that the acid will balance out with. Not something I enjoy sitting around and sipping on it's own.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours golden orange with a nice clarity. Nice steady carbonation. Smell is quite interesting. White grapes, lemon, citrus. A bubble gum scent lingering underneath. A musty scent comes through. Taste will definitely make you pucker. Hints of vinegar. Funky. Lemon and a big twang to it. Light oak. Very unique, just very sour. Mouthfeel is nice and refreshing. Good carbonation with a very sour finish, drying to say the least, though it's nice. Drinkability is good. Takes a while to get through something like this quickly, while the experience is still enjoyable.

Cheers to abankovich for this brew in the TIF!

3.98/5  rDev -11%

001, PH1. Light orange color with ample foam. Smells of bugs and critters, cobweb, damp barn, horse blanket, lemon and soaked wood. Flavor is strongly sour, super intense and woody, funky, wild and loaded with lemon and other fruits notes. Obviously a terrific and expertly crafted beer, but not one I'd like to collect. Supplication will always be my favorite Russian River brew.

2.8/5  rDev -37.4%

Obviously, I do not understand sour beers (or the people who make them and drink them). I'm trying to learn to appreciate them, but a beer like this, it just defies imagination.

The beer pours a hazy, lemony honey color with decent head retention and lacing. The aroma of this beer is off the charts. I guess I get some lemon zest, but the beer is so tart smelling, and the barnyard funk so pronounced, I'm just amazed by what I smell. As odd as this beer smells, the flavors are just over the top. There is the lemon zest flavor, but I also get apple cider vinegar and just sour, sour, sour. Each sip has me grimacing in pain. The sour flavors aside, I will say the beer is pretty light on the palate with the abv. very well disguised. As for drinkability, the sour flavor is just overpowering and is nearly more then I can handle.

Shared this bottle with 4 other people thank God, including a guy at the table next to me (Belmont Station cafe) drinking some gueuze. He was quite grateful, noting the Beatification was much better then his gueuze. Perhaps. I just wish I had the capacity to appreciate it as much as he did.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Got this up at RR about a month ago, finally getting around to drinking it.

Nice hazy golden color. Not much head, I get about one finger in my snifter but it fades quickly. Scent is sour with lemon and vinegar, and plenty of funk. Flavor is fantastic. Awesome sourness, again lemon and vinegar, but hints of other fruit jumped out as well. I noted peach and pear, if you can imagine what those would taste like long before they're ripe. Funk is prominent as well. Feel is medium bodied a somewhat syrupy. Carbonation is good, and a nice dry finish. A sipper but surprisingly easy to drink, really. Alcohol is subdued and doesn't carry much of a punch. Overall drinkability is quite high. I was worried that this would just be a sour bomb, but the flavor was really nice and complex. Maybe I'm just getting used to these sour beers...I dunno. I still liked Temptation more, but this is another fantastic effort from Vinny and the crew.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a very slightly fogged gold with basically no head. Nose is citrus and sweet. The funk is there too. Flavor is, well... Flavor is holy ----! Sour to the core with evident citrus. Pretty amazing stuff. Feel has a light and smooth carbonation to it. Liquid is good. Lovers of sours unite! The American lambic lives!

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

I've hung on to this bottle for some time, and am quite suprised it has lasted this long in my fridge. My first Beatification experience. Batch 002 by the way.

A: Golden, honey-colored pour with champagne-like bubbles. Thin, effervescent head layer faded quickly to a clear orange glassful.
S: A light vineagar aroma. Sharp flora notes. Hints of pineapple and other sweet fruits.
T: Very sweet fruit flavors. Not so much citrus, but more tropical. Although, lighter grapefruitness is noticed.
M: Puckering, but nothing that bucks your head back. Very smooth and almost refreshing. I was shocked and thought I would find this barrel-aged sour a bit more of a mouthful. This was not a terrible suprise, but just unexpected.
D: Delightful. I would love to compare to a draft version and later an aged/cellar version. Very clean and sharp flavors and aroma. Refined recipe and unlike any other.

3.17/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7 oz. caged and corked > Stella glass
batch 002

Looks like clover honey with an orange glow. 1" white frothy foam crowns and falls pretty fast with plenty of stickiness left over.

Whoa, it's a nice, big aroma. I'm sitting at least two feet away from the glass and the breeze from outside is whaffing the aroma my way! Sweet and sour fruits, tangy grapes, mandarin oranges, sweet/tart candy, musty herbs.

First impression: CRINGE!!!! major bitter-face. Unlike Temptation and Supplication the flavor of this wild bad-boy is just too funked-up for me, but only because of it's intense, medicinal and metallic bitter flavor that kills everything else. Tart/metallic/bitter that's about all I'm getting. Dissapointing to say the least, I really enjoyed the Other wild ales from these guys.

The feel is light and crisp at first, then becomes much less lively pretty fast. Perhaps some oxidation has taken effect with this one?

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

Batch 002.

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with, well, no head.

Smell: A sour-scented aroma smelling of sour ole lemons, white grapes, and grandpa's barnyard, all with a reasonably, understandably funky Brett component.

Taste: A sip of refreshing, oaky white wine and a bite of sharp cheese. Everpresent, underlying Bretty taste. Less a sour lemon taste and more of a taste of thick lemon rinds and a very puckering, almost grimacing wallop of acidity. Then a sip of a salty brine soak. Dry, sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. No real carbonation present.

Drinkability: Quite good, though I'd appreciate just a teensy bit of carbonation. I'd go so far as to say I'd cheerfully drink this each and every damn day. But sadly I don't have easy access to Russian River beers.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

batch 002

a: This was a very pale, straw colored yellow. It pours with a thin, soapy, white head that quickly fades to a ring around the glass. I was surprised by how still this is.

s: Powerfull aromas of damp earth, very green apples, pungent flowers, and prickly yeasts. Wow.

t: Damn this is acidic! Huge flavors of vinegary, young, green apples. Earthy, peppery yeast flavors as well. There are some faint oak flavors hiding in backround too. The finish is quite dry. This is the most viscous sour I've tried yet; very gueuze like.

m: My only gripe with this beer is a minor one. I wish it was more heavily carbonated.

d: Huge thanks to barleywinebrewer for the chance to try this one! I look forward to the chance to try more RR sours.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

375 ml bottle. Pours a cloudy pale straw with minimal whitish head. Smells mild. Horseblanket and wheat. Soured from brettanomyces. Sort of acetic, but mild overall. Pineapple, lemon zest, wet lemon oils.

Tastes soured brett. Puckering. Potent in the respect. Lactic and lemony. Like sucking on a fresh lemon wedge. Grapefruit and pineapple. Light crisp dry and clean. Great drinkability. Nice light summer quencher.

3.77/5  rDev -15.7%

6% abv batch 002. Thanks Todd1. This little masterpiece reminds me of a wild and also a geuze. Musty aroma, that at the end smells like a basement not aired. The taste, cradles the tongue, there is a fizz, and it becomes more and more..lemon. Amazing sediment in the last once of the bottle. Custard appearance.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

A corked and caged 375 mL bottle of Batch 002.

A: The ale has a hazy wheat ale color, more yellow than brown and resembling a still tea. There is little carbonation and no head save for a thin white band at the edge of the glass.

S: Mind-blowingly tart, this ale causes you to pucker up from the aroma only. Bright citrus and flowers emerge from the mix, as does an strong barnyard presence. The draw is so strong that despite the intensity, I can't take my nose out of the glass.

T: This beer is as gueuzey as it gets, thick with tart astringent flavors. Citrus flavors are quick to emerge from the tartness, with orange rind and grapefruit featured prominently. Sour apples run throughout as well. For the strength of the tartness, the body underlying it is quite delicate. The tartness last on the lips and palate for quite a while.

M: Fruit and horseblanket funkiness leave a lasting impression on the palate. This ale is as close to an authentic Belgian gueuze that I've ever come across.

D: At 5.5%, the ale is low key and light but the blast of flavor could impair your tastebuds. The ale is wonderful, great innovation from Russian River.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with carbonation bubbles making their way through the clouds. A thick foamy white head tops this off. Very slight lacing along the glass. This is a good looking blonde.
S: A wonderfully pungent nose on this beer. A smell that first struck me as sour fruits along with a floral background. I could sit here and smell this beer solely for a couple minutes, it's that pleasant. Very invigorating and inviting scent that helps compliment the appearance in making this a beer one can't help but want to taste.
T: The taste does not disappoint from the build-up from the other senses. The blonde ale within this is built up with the sour and combined in a way that works perfectly. Slight hop taste in the back end, but the sourness persists throughout. Fruits and floral make for a great beer.
F: Very very smooth. The sour is just right to compliment the rest of the taste. This beer has plenty of carbonation that will make your mouth come alive.
D: This is a wonderful beer. I could drink this beer at almost any time of the year. It's a very lively beer that goes down smooth and tastes delicious.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company