Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 3,130
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

This beer is very unique and inspired by breweries in the Lambic region of Belgium and, especially, our friends at Cantillon. It is 100% spontaneously fermented, meaning yeast is not added. Once the beer is brewed, it is transferred to a cool-ship or “horny” tank located in our barrel room at the pub. There it sits overnight and collects whatever funky wild yeast and bacteria may be living in the room. The next day it is transferred to oak wine barrels where it ferments wildly and ages for a few months. The end result is a wild, spontaneously fermented, sour, and tasty hand-crafted beer!
Reviews: 528 | Hads: 2,401
4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to Murchmac for the trade.

Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a stark white head. Nose is tart brett funk and some light fruitiness. Taste follows with awesome brett funkiness and super tart green apple flavors. underlying wood flavor is good and lingers quite a bit along with the green appley tartness. Nice Geuezy flavor also. very complex. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp, good carbonation, and a nice viscosity for the style. Drinkability is unbeatable for the style. This is one of few sour beers I could see myself drinking more than one of. Excited to see how this one cellars. Fantastic concoction by Vinnie and the crew. Great beer.

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%

If only I had the same kind of access to the Russian River beers as I do to the Lost Abbey. If even they were even a little further away. A four hour drive. A five hour drive. Each and every one of the Russian River beers had something to fucking say. The Beatification of all had the most intense things to say, just extremely funky and flowery on the nose. When I popped it open it smelled like diapers or something, heavily stank cheese, I screamed, I passed it around, I got stoked. This was the overall champion of the night for me by a long shot, part of a very small (4 people) Russian River tasting. Beatification is a barrel aged and "spontaneously fermented" beer, brewed with wild yeast and then aged in barrels which have been used for both its original purpose and for making other beers that Russian River offers, meaning that it has a whole lot of life in the wood that contributes an insane amount of complex flavor to the beer. This beer has a list of the known yeast and bacteria strains present in the beer, which beyond being geeky is so insane that you can't just love it if you're interested in the science and alchemy of brewing. Poured beautifully from the mini-Champagne like bottle with a cork and cage and it really is like an intense spoiled semi-brute Champagne that could only come from Belgium, except that it's from California. Infected, golden, attractive. Russian River makes the beers that are closest to those from the motherland, with the perfect amount of American screw-all attitude to boot. This is so much like a Gueuze that it's hard to believe it's not, and it's in the same family as the Leelanau and Jolly Pumpkin beers which are so overtly "out there" that you can't help but listen up. Highest, highest respect for this brew, heavy dog compliments.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Tasted towards the end of the Tampa BA gathering 5/3/08 - what a wonderful way to cleanse the palate from an afternoon of good beer...

Pours a cloudly yellow with a small head that drops quickly. Aroma is of sourness, sour fruit, dirty diaper, even light ammonia. Flavor offers a very sour but complex profile - hard to seperate it from mouthfeel. Elements of grapefuit and lemon show among the funk. Tart, acidic, cleansing, but flavorful.

Overall, an excellent sour ale, a must-try for those who really like this style. Not something I'd want to drink everyday but it offers a textbook example of the unique complexity to be had form these barrel-aged sour beers.

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

Yeah.... that's gooood.

A nice pale straw with just wisps of carbonation that form a thin, and transitory head. Hazy.

Aroma is a sweet pile of brett-y funk. Some fruits, melon and citrus are present, sourness in the nose as well. Complex, a little musty.

The flavor is a whopping blast of sharp sourness, which maintains all the way through, and then lingers tenaciously on the tongue. It seems very pedio-centric, that is, a very clean and bright sour character, Sweet Tarts and whatnot. Mid palate sweetness, pineapple and bubblegum notes. It's delicious, but not as complex as the other RR barrel aged brews I've had... but it's tasty. Would love to try this side-by-side with some of the classic Belgian geueze's which this mose resembles.

It's awesome that we've got an American brewer making strides like this with sour, barrel-aged brews. But you knew that.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Big thanks to largadeer for this bottle of Batch 002. I'm celebrating being officially done with law school as of 2pm today!

a - pours a very hazy honey color, one-finger white head, retention around the edges, moderate lacing, good for a sour ale

s - sour apple and intense barnyard funk, notes of cucumber strangely, light citrus, grapefruit and lemon

t - sour apple and white grape up front which quickly develops into an intense sourness that engulfs the whole palate, huge amount of brett funkiness and hints of grapefruit, lemon and orange on the mid-palate, more citrus and green apple on the finish along with lingering funk and notes of oak and leather, as it warms, the lemon becomes more pronounced, in one word: Awesome!

m - medium-bodied, lots of carbonation, very active in the mouth, moderately dry on the finish, very sour but easy on the palate at the same time, perfect mix of body and carbonation for the style

d - while this is certainly an intense beer, the complexities and refreshing nature keep you drinking, very sour yet easy on the palate, damn, I wish this came in 750s

I've wanted to try this beer for well over a year-and-a-half, and I have to say, it was well worth the wait. One of the best beers I've ever had. I couldn't think of a better special occasion beer. I need to get some more bottles of this asap!

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

HUGE thanks to prototypic for this special treat.

375 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a tulip glass. Batch 002.

Pours a foggy toasted gold with a thin half finger white head that quickly dies down to just about nothing. No lacing at all with this one. Swirling the glass leaves some webs, but they quickly fall back down seconds after. Smell is heavy on the funk, go figure! Sour cherries, white grapes, brett, lemongrass, and oak. After a big whiff, the vinegar becomes present, but doesn't overpower any of the other wonderful complex aromas. Taste begins very tart and sour followed by the smooth oak, sweet tangerine and green apples. Aftertaste is a bit dry with sour grapefruit, some honey, and wood characteristics. So much flavor for such a low abv beer. Light to medium body with a stinging carbonation. Beatification is by far the most sour of the RR brews that I've had, maybe too sour? I'd take Supplication and Sanctification over this, but Beatification is still an amazing beer. Hopefully I can get my hands on another bottle so I can throw it in the cellar. Thanks again Josh for hooking me up!!

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow, what can I say about this, I have been waiting to try this one for what seems like forever. Almost impossible to get a bottle of Batch 001, so I just waited it out and received my Batch 002 supply yesterday. Wasting no time at all I threw one in the fridge and let it chill down to a respectable temperature before pulling it out at about 9:00pm last night. The 375,l corked and caged bottle looked wonderful and I practically started drooling before I could even get it open. Needless to say I grabbed the closest snifter I could and found my new Belgium one and slowly poured the contents inside....

Appearance - A slow pour, being careful not to disturb the sediment left the most hazy golden, amber colored liquid imaginable. No head at all on this, well minimal at best with just a slight quarter inch layer of white coming across the top, good news was that it never did get any lower then that. Great side glass presentation on this one as nice silky smooth looking, cascading layers of white fizz, almost looking like sea spray just swirled around the sides of the glass. Some light carbonation could be seen coming up from the bottom throughout the session. As would be expected there was a bit of yeast sitting at the bottom of the glass after it settled. I was impressed but what would happen next would be off the chart....

Smell - The aroma was simply to die for. I love me some Brett, but this was literally taking it to a whole new level. I knew this would be nice, but my wife chuckled as I sat there for an hour sniffing this, as if...well you could imagine. Just the most grand, funkified, tart, sour, vinegar like smell you could come across, but in a good way. Rich and complex there seemed to literally be no end in sight for the depth of this one. Towards then end of the session, I may have just gotten used to the funky sour Brett, when I noticed some light fruit maybe coming into play, this was like a fine wine almost in aroma, I mean just insanely good. I am almost speechless, but I had to eventually stop smelling it and actually try it....

Taste - If I thought it smelled good, I do not even know how to put into words the flavor of this one. It was just wonderful. Started out with a full on assault of sour, Brett funk, that rolled through the mouth, sucking up and puckering anything that it came in contact with, but once it got past, it opened you up to a whole world of woody flavors that were hidden underneath. There was some light fruitiness of some sour, perhaps grapes, or green apples, that you could start to pick up as it rolled along, and there was a touch of sweetness there as well. This was not entirely unbalanced, far from it. In fact I think if you do not let this one warm up a bit, you are really cheating yourself out of how good it could be. It was remarkable in hour tart it was but just how well it blended. The finishing notes were really starting to show hints of the barrel aging, with nice wood notes coming through and it really getting a nice earthy feel to it.

Mouthfeel - Such a wonderfully rich and complex taste, would be nothing without the accompanying good feel. And, this one did not disappoint in any way. Nice medium bodied ale, there was more then adequate carbonation put through on this one. It never did get flat, or dull in any way, in fact it seemed to get better as the session wore on. Silky smooth in its consistency, I was in love with this one right away.

Drinkability - In a word it was outstanding, the flavors were so rich and complex that I literally could not stop sipping on this one if I tried. The feel so delicate and smooth that I literally just let it sit there and roll around to absorb the most out of it that I could. This was truly remarkable in every possible way.

Overall I was simply blown away by this one. It was easily the best sour ale I have ever had, and easily one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. I can now see why people rave about this one as much as they do, it really is that good. It has a light texture to it that is unmatched, and the Brett, is just perfect. Go out and get this if you are a fan of the style, if its not your thing, and you do not like the style, you are not going to like this, it's the epitome of the style. Simply astounding.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a St. Feuillien chalice. Extra special thanks go out to HeatherAnn for this one!

Batch 002

A: Pours a hazy, glowing, gold color with a small and quite bubbly head that recedes all too fast. The head melts down to a whispy skim and bubbly ring that leaves a hand full of small lacy spots.

S: The first whiff is of vinegar. As my nose became accustomed to the sourness I began to pick up notes of tart citrus, oak, and brett funk.

T: Tart and sour! As the shock to the tongue began to wear off I noticed subtle nuances of citrus (both sweet and sour), earthy hops, oak, and at the finish, some toasted malt.

M: Tart and pucker inducing. I kept running my tongue around the inside of my mouth to make sure none of the sourness went to waste.

S: Pretty damn amazing. I'm constantly amazed at my palates' ability to evolve. A year and a half ago I would've sworn this was spoiled. Now, I'm loving the sour beers!

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

poured from a bottle into a RR tulip.

A - golden and dense, a bit like honey. a bit of bubbles form at the top once it's poured but there is really not much of a head to speak of.

S - lots of vinegar and oak.

T - not as sour as i expected, but it's got a wonderful flavor. the brett is predominant and you can definitely taste the oak. not much in the way of fruit in this one, but you can taste some of the alcohol at the end.

M - champagne-like tight carbonation.

D - a very nice beer to enjoy, one bottle at a time. i really like this stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%

It's Friday, the week is over. Time to crack open something special...

Batch #002

Pours a bright gold color, with slight haze, a light white head, and obvious carbonation.

Aromas are strong, and very pleasant. This was easily to smell right when the cork popped. Aromas are of citrus, mostly lemons, some dust, yeast, spice, and a floral quality. Definite funk.

Tastes is incredibly tart and sour. I am puckering just thinking about the first sip. A very dry citrus lemon flavor with some funky yeast spices and a touch of oak. Finish is crisp, with a nice hint of creamy malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is great. Very clean, nicely carbonated, with a nice thick feel up front.

Drinkability is good. This is a beer I have wanted to try for quite some time now. Incredibly interesting and unique tasting. But one bottle is easily more than enough. I probably should have waited to share this bottle with someone. I really like this, but I prefer Sanctification, Compunction, and Temptation to this one. I just found those to be easier to drink. That's not to slight this one at all... Beatification is another Russian River home run.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours out a cloudy hazy wheat/yellow color with lots of bubbles in the drink and not in the head.
I smell cherry and oak and citrus. The yeast burns my nose.
Taste is sour/sweet at the same time. There is a darkness to the aftertaste. It is bitter sweet like a persimmon fruit.
Mouthfeel is so darn clean. Nothing is left in the palate. We had cheese and mushrooms, this cleaned the mouth right up. I wish it would be more redily available. Petrus rates way below this one.

3.73/5  rDev -16.6%

Review #200
Batch 2

A- Pours a cloudy peach color with little to no head.

S- Mostly all brett, some funky sour tones along with some barnyard funk.

T- By far the most sour of the recently released RR sours. Starts of with a strong sourness which subsides and brings forth apples and citrus notes followed by a bit of grape.

M- Medium viscosity, not a lot of carbonation.

D- My least favorite of the RR sours but still a good beer thats worth trying.

3.98/5  rDev -11%

Batch 002 at the RR taproom.

A: Very cloudy, yellow/straw color. Small ring of small bubbles. Not much head there.

S: Not much aroma surprisingly. There's some funk/acidity and some apple aromas. Also some funky spicy and "barnyard" brett character.

T: Heavy on the Brettanomyces/wild yeast. It's sour for sure. There is some malt in the background and there seems to be some hop bitterness. Bitterness could also be some slight spicy yeast character. Interesting. I like it.

M: Dry, lively. Great carbonation for the beer.

D: Very drinkable for the style I suppose. I'm not sure I'd have two, but it is refreshing. It's not as clean as many lambics, but it tastes good.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Another splendid sour ale wild ale from Russian River. I was expecting this to be similar to Temptation (which I tried last night), but it ended up being quite different.

Pours a brilliant golden color. Thin white crust, no real head. It has the characteristic champagne bubbles, but decidedly less so than Temptation. As a result, the mouthfeel was a bit more flat ... unfortunately less appealing (for me, at least).

The smell indicated that the funk level was going to be raised insanely high. Vinegar, overwhelming tartness, and wood/oak tones abounded in the aroma. The taste was explosively sour. The wood/oak flavoring was gigantic, far more so than La Folie's Wood Aged Beer, which is the closest I can think of in terms of sour woodsy flavoring. Vinegar, tartness, and young sour citrus abound. While the flavor is definitely complex, it can be a bit more one-note than Temptation as the session progresses.

I see that folks mention lighter fruits such as sour cherries, raspberries, etc. I'm not getting much of that. If those were added, I guess the "Brett" character is pummeling them.

Definitely demands a lot of your palate. Delicious.

3.02/5  rDev -32.4%

Huge fan of Russian River and tasted many of the 'ation' series years ago at Toronado. At that point it seemed that many of the barrel aged (chardonnay, pinot, etc) beers were clearly going to find a foothold. Thankfully for us, they have and are getting better and better.

My local shop has carried as many bottled 'ations' as he can get his hands on and I was happy to spend $12 for an 002 batch of Beatification. In the case of this one, it felt extremely sour for sour's sake. Each sip reminded me of biting in to a Zot in elementary school. So rough and so compelling at the same time, like staring at a car accident.

I'm happy to have had this experience and will enjoy watching others try it. I will probably wait for the next 'ation' though.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friends Dan & Joelle (Dewbrewer) for sharing this one. Batch 001. 375 ml. Bottle.
Pours a murky light orange color with a small white head and slippery lacing.

Floral, citrus/fruit, and sour in the nose.

Great balance between malt, wood, and brettanomyces sour/barn yard flavors. Acidic and creamy at the same time.

A beer that is beer well done.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Bottle shared at tasting courtesy of Randy. Thanks!
Pours a faintly hazed yellowish color with light whitish head. Smell is bright, lightly funky and sour, yet soft overall. Taste is much of the same mild tartness, oaky dryness and very pleasant funkiness. Very easy to drink, now that I'm more accustomed to sours. This is really nice stuff, and very mild compared to some.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

A big thanks to tangfoot for trading me this bottle.

I had something else in mind for my 200th review but it is warm today and my palate is asking for a break from all the double/imperial/barrel-aged strong ales I've been drinking so I decided to pop this beer instead.

This is from Batch 001.

Big pop once I was able to take the cork out. I'm glad this one is not a gusher like the Temptation I had not too long ago.

Pours a bright golden color with a touch of apple juice color. About an inch of foam quickly forms as this beer seems to be very effervescent, but it settles rather fast and leaves a white ring behind.

Wow, the aroma is incredible. Tart cherries, apples, vinegar, pears, acidic strawberry, just a great combination of sour and tart fruits. It also has some vinous and faint oak aromas in the background. This beer made my mouth water. The funkiness is still there but it blends really well with the fruity aromas. Later on I pick up some orange, tangerine, and I believe the cherry becomes more pronounced. The pale malt is trying to peek through with some sweetness and hints of toast and caramel but it's easily overpowered by the vibrant and tart fruitiness.

First taste is of some tart fruits and vinegar with a funky/brett finish and the pale malt also comes through in the finish. I'm starting to pick out the apples/apple skins, pears, strawberry, cherries and raspberries. The beer has a wonderful acidity level and at times I feel like I'm biting into a really sour green apple...yum! As it warms up the wood notes become more apparent and linger for a little bit in the finish.

The mouth-feel is light since it's only a 5.5% blond ale but it's still madly carbonated and goes well with the acidity. The carbonation is still aggressive on the tongue but surprisingly it finishes rather clean and almost velvety in the end. Sadly, this beer drinks rather fast since it's flavorful, refreshing and light...oh how I crave more beers like this!
The finish is also dry but not an excessive dryness, just enough to make you want to take another sip soon.

And now I'm sad cause it's gone. Looking forward to the next batch coming in soon!

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

375 ml bottle acquired in a trade with brewandbbq, big thanks for letting me try this highly sought after beer

Batch 001-PH1, aged in New Belgium La Folie barrels for 23 months, bottle says it can be aged for up to four additional years, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, bottle review #300

A-Medium orange with a slight red or pink tint when held up to the light, huge 1 1/4 inch head that aggressively bubbly, not much retention though, tons of little bubbles rushing to the top the whole time through, minimal retention

S-Funky sourness, nothing but tarty aromas, brettanomyces was pretty strong, wood chips, different citrus scents, oddly a bit of some kind of nuttiness, raspberries and cherries, balsamic vinegar, and some hints of malt

T-If this does not make you pucker then I do not know what will, amazing tarty taste that manages to stay smooth at the same time, sour cherries and brettanomyces right up front, lemon juice, earthy, grassy at times, seemed like there was some Belgian yeast, tangerines and grapefruit, coriander, orange peel and faint pepper flavors in the finish, not noticeably dry like most other Russian River wild ales, continued to get more complex as it warmed, sourness never got old, crazy how all this balanced out, fantastic flavor

M-Medium body, large amounts of carbonation that was a little much at the beginning, only complaint about this entire beer, taste lingered for a few minutes at a time, tarty sour mouthfeel

D-Could drink a half dozen of these at a sitting, so easy to drink and smooth, light on the stomach, alcohol can barely be tasted, only five percent anyways, one of the only true session wild ales, amazing drinkability

One of the best beers I have ever had, just slightly under Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale from this same brewer, which probably contained a good amount of this stuff in its blend, pretty much flawless in my opinion, will try to get a case of the next batch in a few months but this beer is in very high demand so I might be driving up north on its release date, I cannot recommend this beer enough, true masterpiece

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Batch PH1. Served in an Ommegang glass.

A: Brilliantly clear, highly carbonated amber body. There was an initially thick white head but it fell quickly leaving nothing on the sides of the glass but only a rim of head on the edge.

S: The La Folie influence on the aroma is overwhelming. I can immediately recognize it. The aroma is nice and tart with some citrus notes. VERY inviting.

T: Damn, I love wild ales and this one is outstanding. Very pronounced tartness but it still manages to be smooth. Great pucker effect. The flavor has an earthy note typical of Brett. There are also some sour cherries lurking in the background. This is really a top notch beer. Brew this again Russian River!!

M: The carbonation is great on this and gives it a great mouthfeel. It takes what would otherwise be a pretty light bodied beer up a notch or two and gives it enough body to last.

D: Outstanding. Perfect. Top notch. Insert any other compliments you can think of. Especially when you consider that it is only 5.5% ABV, the drinkability on this is out of the park. This is by far my favorite RR beer and certainly one of the best beers I have had.

Edit: When you drink this beer, pour the yeast into the last sip. It is excellent.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

PH1 acquired directly at the brewery about a year and a half ago. Aged at 45F ever since. Pours clean and simple with a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Nice tight carbonation. Sour and brett up in the front of the tongue, super clean finish at the end. Very wonderfully complex, low alcohol and drinkable. 10/10 on the belgian "digestability scale". Outstanding.

I've had this beer quite a few times now in various different stages of it's development. At first from a wooden cask via a wine thief at the brewery. Than a test batch flowing at some god-forsaken beer festival. And finally in it's bottled form, in both the PH1, and 'regular' 001 editions. This beer pours a slightly hazy light golden colour with a large, tight, and compact head of foam that slowly loosend up, expands, and releases the aromas of this magnificent 'neo lambic' creation. This beer has the classic sharp, acidic, traditional lambic aromas that I adore. Balsamic vinegar, cheese, fresh white winter truffles, morbier dipped in lemon juice, etc. A very vinous and lactic sourness is also detectable, moreso in the darker tinged PH1 batch, than the straight 001, I should add. The taste is pungent and acidic with a wonderful fruity wine-like middle that smooths out the 'in-your-face-nature' of this brew and leaves you with a lovely aftertaste on the front and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy, super smooth, and reminiscent of the Cantillon St. Lamvinus. The drinkability is perfect and this super sour funky american neo lambic is definately one of the most coercive and notion challening brews to ever have passed this BAS' lips. Bravo to Vinnie and Co. For making something truly magical on all levels.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!!

4.47/5  rDev 0%

I'm sorry this review will not be detailed. I sampled this at the GABF. You say oh dude, one ounce sample. NOT THE CASE. My gf had a glass too and I got a lot of samples and poured them on top of each other and let them warm. I had to review on my cell phone so I didn't get a whole fuck load of notes.

This beer has a crazy funkiness. Sort of like a belgian sour. Sort of citrusy undertones. I did not get the best notes on this beer, but I have to write these notes so that I am sure to have this beer again. My first wild ale. I love this.

This beer was superb, sorry I don't have more notes on the flavor characteristics, but I have to write what I have down so I don't forget that I must buy this by the case in california when I visit.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company