Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 3,077
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 516 | Hads: 2,316
3.98/5  rDev -10.4%

Batch 002 at the RR taproom.

A: Very cloudy, yellow/straw color. Small ring of small bubbles. Not much head there.

S: Not much aroma surprisingly. There's some funk/acidity and some apple aromas. Also some funky spicy and "barnyard" brett character.

T: Heavy on the Brettanomyces/wild yeast. It's sour for sure. There is some malt in the background and there seems to be some hop bitterness. Bitterness could also be some slight spicy yeast character. Interesting. I like it.

M: Dry, lively. Great carbonation for the beer.

D: Very drinkable for the style I suppose. I'm not sure I'd have two, but it is refreshing. It's not as clean as many lambics, but it tastes good. (675 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me. (838 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Another splendid sour ale wild ale from Russian River. I was expecting this to be similar to Temptation (which I tried last night), but it ended up being quite different.

Pours a brilliant golden color. Thin white crust, no real head. It has the characteristic champagne bubbles, but decidedly less so than Temptation. As a result, the mouthfeel was a bit more flat ... unfortunately less appealing (for me, at least).

The smell indicated that the funk level was going to be raised insanely high. Vinegar, overwhelming tartness, and wood/oak tones abounded in the aroma. The taste was explosively sour. The wood/oak flavoring was gigantic, far more so than La Folie's Wood Aged Beer, which is the closest I can think of in terms of sour woodsy flavoring. Vinegar, tartness, and young sour citrus abound. While the flavor is definitely complex, it can be a bit more one-note than Temptation as the session progresses.

I see that folks mention lighter fruits such as sour cherries, raspberries, etc. I'm not getting much of that. If those were added, I guess the "Brett" character is pummeling them.

Definitely demands a lot of your palate. Delicious. (1,153 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -32%

Huge fan of Russian River and tasted many of the 'ation' series years ago at Toronado. At that point it seemed that many of the barrel aged (chardonnay, pinot, etc) beers were clearly going to find a foothold. Thankfully for us, they have and are getting better and better.

My local shop has carried as many bottled 'ations' as he can get his hands on and I was happy to spend $12 for an 002 batch of Beatification. In the case of this one, it felt extremely sour for sour's sake. Each sip reminded me of biting in to a Zot in elementary school. So rough and so compelling at the same time, like staring at a car accident.

I'm happy to have had this experience and will enjoy watching others try it. I will probably wait for the next 'ation' though. (751 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friends Dan & Joelle (Dewbrewer) for sharing this one. Batch 001. 375 ml. Bottle.
Pours a murky light orange color with a small white head and slippery lacing.

Floral, citrus/fruit, and sour in the nose.

Great balance between malt, wood, and brettanomyces sour/barn yard flavors. Acidic and creamy at the same time.

A beer that is beer well done. (366 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle shared at tasting courtesy of Randy. Thanks!
Pours a faintly hazed yellowish color with light whitish head. Smell is bright, lightly funky and sour, yet soft overall. Taste is much of the same mild tartness, oaky dryness and very pleasant funkiness. Very easy to drink, now that I'm more accustomed to sours. This is really nice stuff, and very mild compared to some. (375 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

A big thanks to tangfoot for trading me this bottle.

I had something else in mind for my 200th review but it is warm today and my palate is asking for a break from all the double/imperial/barrel-aged strong ales I've been drinking so I decided to pop this beer instead.

This is from Batch 001.

Big pop once I was able to take the cork out. I'm glad this one is not a gusher like the Temptation I had not too long ago.

Pours a bright golden color with a touch of apple juice color. About an inch of foam quickly forms as this beer seems to be very effervescent, but it settles rather fast and leaves a white ring behind.

Wow, the aroma is incredible. Tart cherries, apples, vinegar, pears, acidic strawberry, just a great combination of sour and tart fruits. It also has some vinous and faint oak aromas in the background. This beer made my mouth water. The funkiness is still there but it blends really well with the fruity aromas. Later on I pick up some orange, tangerine, and I believe the cherry becomes more pronounced. The pale malt is trying to peek through with some sweetness and hints of toast and caramel but it's easily overpowered by the vibrant and tart fruitiness.

First taste is of some tart fruits and vinegar with a funky/brett finish and the pale malt also comes through in the finish. I'm starting to pick out the apples/apple skins, pears, strawberry, cherries and raspberries. The beer has a wonderful acidity level and at times I feel like I'm biting into a really sour green apple...yum! As it warms up the wood notes become more apparent and linger for a little bit in the finish.

The mouth-feel is light since it's only a 5.5% blond ale but it's still madly carbonated and goes well with the acidity. The carbonation is still aggressive on the tongue but surprisingly it finishes rather clean and almost velvety in the end. Sadly, this beer drinks rather fast since it's flavorful, refreshing and light...oh how I crave more beers like this!
The finish is also dry but not an excessive dryness, just enough to make you want to take another sip soon.

And now I'm sad cause it's gone. Looking forward to the next batch coming in soon! (2,169 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

375 ml bottle acquired in a trade with brewandbbq, big thanks for letting me try this highly sought after beer

Batch 001-PH1, aged in New Belgium La Folie barrels for 23 months, bottle says it can be aged for up to four additional years, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, bottle review #300

A-Medium orange with a slight red or pink tint when held up to the light, huge 1 1/4 inch head that aggressively bubbly, not much retention though, tons of little bubbles rushing to the top the whole time through, minimal retention

S-Funky sourness, nothing but tarty aromas, brettanomyces was pretty strong, wood chips, different citrus scents, oddly a bit of some kind of nuttiness, raspberries and cherries, balsamic vinegar, and some hints of malt

T-If this does not make you pucker then I do not know what will, amazing tarty taste that manages to stay smooth at the same time, sour cherries and brettanomyces right up front, lemon juice, earthy, grassy at times, seemed like there was some Belgian yeast, tangerines and grapefruit, coriander, orange peel and faint pepper flavors in the finish, not noticeably dry like most other Russian River wild ales, continued to get more complex as it warmed, sourness never got old, crazy how all this balanced out, fantastic flavor

M-Medium body, large amounts of carbonation that was a little much at the beginning, only complaint about this entire beer, taste lingered for a few minutes at a time, tarty sour mouthfeel

D-Could drink a half dozen of these at a sitting, so easy to drink and smooth, light on the stomach, alcohol can barely be tasted, only five percent anyways, one of the only true session wild ales, amazing drinkability

One of the best beers I have ever had, just slightly under Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale from this same brewer, which probably contained a good amount of this stuff in its blend, pretty much flawless in my opinion, will try to get a case of the next batch in a few months but this beer is in very high demand so I might be driving up north on its release date, I cannot recommend this beer enough, true masterpiece (2,099 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Batch PH1. Served in an Ommegang glass.

A: Brilliantly clear, highly carbonated amber body. There was an initially thick white head but it fell quickly leaving nothing on the sides of the glass but only a rim of head on the edge.

S: The La Folie influence on the aroma is overwhelming. I can immediately recognize it. The aroma is nice and tart with some citrus notes. VERY inviting.

T: Damn, I love wild ales and this one is outstanding. Very pronounced tartness but it still manages to be smooth. Great pucker effect. The flavor has an earthy note typical of Brett. There are also some sour cherries lurking in the background. This is really a top notch beer. Brew this again Russian River!!

M: The carbonation is great on this and gives it a great mouthfeel. It takes what would otherwise be a pretty light bodied beer up a notch or two and gives it enough body to last.

D: Outstanding. Perfect. Top notch. Insert any other compliments you can think of. Especially when you consider that it is only 5.5% ABV, the drinkability on this is out of the park. This is by far my favorite RR beer and certainly one of the best beers I have had.

Edit: When you drink this beer, pour the yeast into the last sip. It is excellent. (1,228 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

PH1 acquired directly at the brewery about a year and a half ago. Aged at 45F ever since. Pours clean and simple with a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Nice tight carbonation. Sour and brett up in the front of the tongue, super clean finish at the end. Very wonderfully complex, low alcohol and drinkable. 10/10 on the belgian "digestability scale". Outstanding. (371 characters)

I've had this beer quite a few times now in various different stages of it's development. At first from a wooden cask via a wine thief at the brewery. Than a test batch flowing at some god-forsaken beer festival. And finally in it's bottled form, in both the PH1, and 'regular' 001 editions. This beer pours a slightly hazy light golden colour with a large, tight, and compact head of foam that slowly loosend up, expands, and releases the aromas of this magnificent 'neo lambic' creation. This beer has the classic sharp, acidic, traditional lambic aromas that I adore. Balsamic vinegar, cheese, fresh white winter truffles, morbier dipped in lemon juice, etc. A very vinous and lactic sourness is also detectable, moreso in the darker tinged PH1 batch, than the straight 001, I should add. The taste is pungent and acidic with a wonderful fruity wine-like middle that smooths out the 'in-your-face-nature' of this brew and leaves you with a lovely aftertaste on the front and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy, super smooth, and reminiscent of the Cantillon St. Lamvinus. The drinkability is perfect and this super sour funky american neo lambic is definately one of the most coercive and notion challening brews to ever have passed this BAS' lips. Bravo to Vinnie and Co. For making something truly magical on all levels. (1,335 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!! (1,763 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

I'm sorry this review will not be detailed. I sampled this at the GABF. You say oh dude, one ounce sample. NOT THE CASE. My gf had a glass too and I got a lot of samples and poured them on top of each other and let them warm. I had to review on my cell phone so I didn't get a whole fuck load of notes.

This beer has a crazy funkiness. Sort of like a belgian sour. Sort of citrusy undertones. I did not get the best notes on this beer, but I have to write these notes so that I am sure to have this beer again. My first wild ale. I love this.

This beer was superb, sorry I don't have more notes on the flavor characteristics, but I have to write what I have down so I don't forget that I must buy this by the case in california when I visit. (743 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

I shared this brew with a couple of my non-BA friends at a party. They all said it tasted like champagne. It was a hit and a lot of them were amazed that it was actually a beer.

Poured a clear light amber color with a thick one inch white foamy head.

Aromas were out of this world. Incredible funky, earthy, horseblanket, wood aromas. Musty.

Tastes of lemon and other citrusy characteristics. Also moldy, musty, funky yeast and some light sweet maltiness.

Mouthfeel is incredibly light and has a nice tingly carbonation to it. (530 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%

Originally reviewed March 31, 2007. Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest. Pour from a 375mL. Fresh Meyer lemon spritz sour tang, with salty honey-ginger crispness. Sweet and bright aroma. Lightly hazed thin, with soapy off-white rim. Flavor a perky, brightly sweetened brettesque. Passionfruit and almond skins, yielding to grapefruit juice tartness. Nice percolation and stunning lightly hoppy finish. A different batch carried a whole world of earthy spice and robustness that took it to another level of excellence. Outstanding. (523 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +8.6%

4-17-08: Batch 001-PH1. Finally getting to crack my PH1 bottle on a beautiful sunny day. Pours into my glass a lightly hazy honey amber orange with a thick two finger head of creamy bubbles. Aromas bring a mix of citrus, honey and crisp malts bathed in a Brett laden veil. Musty, sharp vinegar and acidic tones alongside woody aspects. Extremely complex and intriguing. Simply awesome.

First sip brings a crisp, sharp malt upfront along with swirling citrus, lemon zest and honey flavors. Mouth puckering sour midway that brings with it a dense array of Brett nuances. Old wood, acidic vinegar, hay, musty funkiness. I get a slight grape aspect as well. The tart and sour aspects are more pronounced that the regular 001. It flows down quite dry overall. An amazing sensory experience in a glass.

Mouthfeel is crisp with punchy carbonation that carries the beer down with a solid effervescence. A great sipper on my porch at the end of a beautiful spring day. One of my all time favorite beers hands down.

7-13-07: Batch 001. Pours into my tulip glass a clear amber orange with a good inch of bubbly white head and lots of big bubbles rising up to the top. Aromas burst out of the glass with light citrus aromas bathed in brett funkiness. Musty, horse blanket, acetic farmhouse aromas alongside woody and honey scents as well. Has a really bright, vibrant character to it. Wow. This is just wonderful.

First sip brings a rush of tart and sour and a nice base malt. Light citrus flavors, lemon rind and honey mingle in the funkiness of the brew. There's a nice woody dryness with each sip along with a fairly sharp acidic bite. Finishes with a lingering tart funkiness, rather dry. I may be imagining it but I get a bit of a green olive aftertaste with each sip. This is simply an amazing sour, wild ale.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a lively, light carbonation that rushes across the palate with each sip. Really makes drinking this brew enjoyable. I wish this came in a 750ml bottle as I could easily and throughly enjoy the whole bottle myself. Beatification ranks with the best Russian River brews I've had and to be honest the best brews I've had overall. Cheers to Vinnie, Peter at NB and everyone else at RR that made this brew possible. Quite an achievement! (2,280 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Batch 001. Pours a hazy peach color, nice and cloudy, with a small white head that recedes quickly. Aroma is strongest of tart apples that is balanced by a soft sweetness and at times smells of homeade applesauce. Aroma also shows some bready spices that blends with a grapey sweetness, also some black pepper and grassiness as well. A hint of the sweetness and spiced breadiness flashes at the front of the tongue before a good sized appley tartness enters and a lemony sourness follows. The taste finishes with a nice drying of the palette. Mouthfeel is fairly light in body, the tartness keeps it very refreshing, a nice dance of peppery carbonation on the tongue does so as well. The aroma was definitely complex and where its at for me with this beer. The taste because of the tartness was not as complex but was still very thirst quenching and very refreshing and easy to sip on. Thanks Mark for the opportunity. (918 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +6.8%

Batch 001, not the PH1 though.

Poured out a yellow orange color with a white head that quickly dissipated, but left bits of lacing. Smell was sour and vinegar-like; it had barnyard funk as well, but not as powerful, full of pleasant sour aromas. The taste seems to have a bit of lemon and oak beneath the strong sour flavors. I'm not real experienced with Wild Ales, but this one just tasted awesome. It also had tastes of vinegar and ends up with a dry, sour finish. Lighter side of medium body with a dry finish; carbonation is rather high. This is definately one of the better beers I've had and has changed my mind on what sour beers can be. I would definitely drink this again, unfortunately I'll have to wait until the next batch comes out. (747 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.1%

The beer pours out beautiful head that has a good lacing. The color is very nice light yellow. The smell is powerful and full of great smells, the best smell I have had in a long time. The taste is great, smooth, with lots of full flavor. The smell of horse blanket and different sour flavors are very non-offensive and just wonderful. They come together to make a really great flavor. The mouthfeel was sooo smooth and impressive, it was very nice and smooth. Overall I will drink this again sometime, very very good. (518 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Presentation: 375 ml corked and caged. Barrel aged 23 months. Batch 001 - PH1. Aged in La Folie barrels.

Appearance: Poured per bottles recommendations without the yeast. Pours orange with just a bit of haze, and a small head with good retention.

Smell: Mmmm.. sour and funky. Lots of brett aroma with fruity undertones.

Taste: Lots of nice tart sour brett flavors. The brett definitely dominates here - and its highly enjoyable. The base beer appears to be a solid blond, but the sour definitely steals the show.

Overall impression: Very nice sour beer - nice to see Russian River and New Belgium teaming up - this is a great example of an American brewer producing belgian styles. (695 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +0.7%

Had a few bottles at RR Brewco.

Poured a nice straw yellow with a tight whipped white head. The lace lasted the entire glass.

The aroma of the beer of sweaty horse hair, citric acid, oak, and wild yeasts.

The flavor of the beer was delicately sour and tangy without going overboard. It was incredibly crisp and refreshing. The hops were reasonably pronounced and had a dull floral flavor, as if they'd been aged.

The beer was highly effervescent and the mouthfeel was light.

I've had many a sour beer and for me, this is easily one of the most pleasing. Right up there with it's cousin, La Folie. Considering Vinnie Cilurzo's been brewing for such a short period of time compared to the Belgian's that have supposedly mastered this style, he gives them a real run for their money. The quality of American brewed Belgians is becoming akin to when Napa started turning out better wines than the French. (915 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +10.6%

Batch PH1

Appearance - 375 ml bottle of the PH1 graciously traded to me by bennetj17. The bottle opens with the kind of energetic pop normally reserved for champagne. As I pour Beatification into a wine glass it only makes a small effort to inflate a choppy head, but quickly loses interest and lets it fall. The La Folie barrel has contributed some red/amber tones to the pale base beer. The first pour has just a hint of haze whereas the second pour in nearly opaque from the sediment.

Smell - At first there is a rush of lambic-like acidity, but it almost immediately dissipates into lavender and perfume. As the beer warms the vanilla laden oak appears and a hint of vinegar emerges. So good I kept smelling the empty glass even after the beer was gone.

Taste - The acidity is beautiful, soft like fresh squeezed lemons. There are a multitude of flavors ranging from dried flowers to toasted oak to the occasional sour cherry. The sourness strikes a perfect balance with the other components, it complements without being overbearing or lasting.

Alcohol? Hops? Malt? Who needs them! This is just acids, esters and funk.

Mouthfeel - Despite being such a small and dry beer the sharp carbonation and tartness cover up its slender body.

Drinkability & Notes - Its amazing what 2 years in a La Folie barrel have done to Redemption. A beer unlike any other, closest to a gueuze that isn't completely obscured by sourness. Another masterpiece from one of the great brewing artists; God how I wish I had a case of these to nurse for the next 10 years...

Batch 002 (Spontaneous)

Appearance - Perfectly clear golden-yellow. Thin white head with decent retention for a sour beer. The second pour brings some haze from the yeast sediment.

Smell - An amazingly distinct grapefruit aroma, there is some apricot, and pineapple as well. Some acidity, but it is not sharp or acetic.

Taste - Very citrusy (citric acid?), different than any sourness I have tasted in a beer. Vinnie has said that his large Kloeckera apiculata flora is responsible for this character. There is some rougher Brett/Gueuze like funk, but it is mostly hidden behind the fruitiness. Very little oak character due to the used barrels, just a pure expression of the RR house funk.

Mouthfeel - The lingering coating acidity dominates the mouthfeel. The body is not as thin or highly carbonated as a Gueuze, but it is still thin and spritzy.

Drinkability & Notes - It's been awhile since I wrote a review, but figured this one was worth it. It isn't as good as the first batch, it lacks the same drinkability and complexity, but it is still one of the most distinct and interesting American sour ales out there. Thanks to Dyan for the bottle. (2,716 characters)

Batch 001, PH1

Cork disgorges with an resonant pop, loud enough to surprise.
Pours orangy copper and hazy, with an effervescent, beige head that raises and falls quickly.
Placid surface and only a few strands of carbonation with a broken ring of retention around the rim.
Aromatics are complex and tart.
Spritzy lemon zest with marmalade vinegar and wet goat.
Citrus oils with an underlying fresh hay note.
Brett is forefront, but not wincing.
Yeasty and fruity with an acidic twang.
Mouthfeel is lightish and sharp. Mildly puckering and refreshing.
Pallet is extremely fruity and tart, but not sour.
Tangerine, grapefruit, and lemon juices turned to diluted vinegar.
Malt is extremely light, only an afterthought and any remnants of hopping might be a peppery note in the finish.
Alcohol is minimal, but not missed as the stars of the show is the yeast, bugs, and barrel.
Many thanks to Vinnie for such a great brew as well as New Belgium for donating the barrel for this gem. (993 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -1.1%

This was the PH1 bottling.

Appearance: Golden peachy, when left alone a few cloudy islands dance around the ring of lacy head, but comes to a good head after a swirl or two.

Smell: Whoh nelly, fantastic funk going down on this one! It almost had a waxy, old church candle thing going on. Great yeast presence too.

Taste: A kaleidoscope of funky brett, mandarin oranges, perfect amount of balsamic vinegar bittersweet acidity, and balances with pinpoint accuracy with the dry, tart finish.

I've said this before about a another American wild ale from the east coast funkmasters at The Alchemist, those Geuzestekerijses (don't even know if you can put that in plural) better get off their laurels because in a decade or so their American cousins just might muscle in on their racket... (795 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks for sharing, Jim! The PH bottling, apparently.
Hazy gold, a fizzy, active white head forms on the pour, fizzing down to nothing like cola. Kinda like champagne. The aroma hides in the glass, probably due to the lack of head. Sour and tropical, reminiscent as Jim said of those canned Goya juices. Mango, in particular. Milder lactic funk, like swiss cheese. The flavor follows suit, with boisterous carbonation holding things together and keeping it exciting. The fuller body keeps it feeling somewhat mellow. For a sour ale, this is very drinkable. Fuller bodied than I expected, starting off with a juicy sweetness reminiscent of peach of mango juice, the pulpy kind, moving into a modestly sour and lactic finish. Slight cheese presence, big on the fruit juice. Nice and funky in a mellow way. I think it's good. I'd love to see this again with a couple more years on it. (882 characters)

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company