Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,727
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle (batch 003) poured into my Russian River "Barrel Aged Ales" goblet (pretty ugly design though). Beatification is a spritzy gold with a large white head that leaves scattered lace. A nice crackle to the head, even though it is pretty quick to dissipate, impressive for what essentially is a gueze.

Smell is very pithy and mineral laden, lemon tonic water, must and a touch of vinegar, very nice.

Taste is wild for sure, wow. I had batch 2 before and it really blew my mind, and this one really lives up to my high expectations. Very tart and complex, citrus and a bit of sugar, though the sweetness is quickly cut by the sour, dry finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and crisp, super dry, light body.

Drinkability is pretty high if your a fan of gueze, in that I wouldn't mind have this on a regular basis. Still, the extreme acidity makes it a very slow sipper and not something I want more then one bottle of in an sitting. Ever since I heard about their plans to make a 'sonambic', I knew I had to get my hands on some. While it's undoubtedly awesome, it's prohibitively expensive, which is really a shame, as it mean I'll have to really hoard my reaming bottles for special occasions, like another Christmas! This should age very well, if I can manage to hold onto it that is!!!

ccrida, Dec 26, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

I had a batch 2 375ml bottle that i drank from Rochefort glass.

This beer pours a dark yellow that has a hint of orange in it, much much darker than tempation. The head and carbonation are both disappointing as I get NO HEAD AT ALL. There is no lacing either.

The aroma is all sour and funk but sadly there isn't much complexity or other aromas. You are just overwhelmed by sour.

The taste makes up for what is lacking in appearance and aroma. It is sweet to start then very tart, definetly a puckerer, the rest of the way but not so overwhelming you can't drink it.

The feel is tart and heavy and just coasts your tongue but crisp to drink and great drinkability for a sour beer.

Overall this wild ale is a good beer, partly just because I love sours. however, compared to other sours it is severly lacking in complexity and originality. Would I drink this beer again? Certainly. Would I go out of my to find it, trade something special to get it, or pay a lot at an auction site no.

jrallen34, Dec 05, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!!

Bitterbill, Nov 10, 2007
4.47/5  rDev -2%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Stone IRS tulip. 5.75% ABV, Batch 003 (Bottled Sept. 6, 2008).

...only to be followed by a morning of epic proportions! "King of Wilds" sweemzander breaks out the surprise beer first thing after a late breakfast to get our wild on!

A - Clear goldenrod color with heavy carbonation and a good white head. Two fingers of foam and good retention with some nice sticky lace left clinging inside the tulip.

S - Wild bugs fill the nose, Brett, Sacc., lactobacillus, all blend nicely with very mild barnyard funk. Great mildly hoppy aroma with some tart and crisp lemon citrus. A swirl brings out bigger sharp tartness like sweaty gym socks. What's wrong with us geeks for liking that in a beer?

T - Pale malt and light citrus hops get washed away instantly by tart sourness and lactobacillus sharp flavor. One-dimensional, but oh-so-good!

M - Very sharp, heavy carbonation and a tart finish with a mouth-puckering sourness. Very dry throughout the finish.

D - Such great drinkability! This one goes down so well it's hard to keep any in the glass while reviewing! Also difficult in terms of it's rarity! Thanks for the top 100 tick Sweem!

BeerFMAndy, Feb 03, 2011

Cynic-ale, Feb 11, 2014

KAF, Jan 17, 2012

TheSevenDuffs, Jan 19, 2014

chippo33, Nov 02, 2012

atrocity, May 18, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! Batch 003! I have been lucky as of late to knock out quite a few of my brews needed for my Russian River -tion Quest and this one is NO exception! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sour, tart, funk, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent in all aspects! This one was a standout from the tasting that night for just about all of the participants. The flavor on this one was otherworldly sour and definitely brought the duck-face HARD! Even from the aroma you would get a partial duck-face going. Definitely well rounded in flavor though as the fruit and woodiness added a nice touch to keep your palate guessing rather than just drop-kicking it with sour and tart notes. Really really well done... Hope to try some older batches in the future for comparison (hint hint traders...)

thagr81us, Jun 28, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

Batch #2
Pours a hazy yellow color with orange-ish hues, with a small white head. In the aroma, tart like a sweettart, and a small vinegar note. In the taste, small fruitiness and tart, again kind of like a sweettart. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry tartness in the aftertaste. Fantastic, big sourness, small fruitiness, primarily lemon like citrus, and just a hint of oak.

OWSLEY069, Sep 01, 2008
4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Batch #2.

A - Hazy, golden amber colored beer with only the slightest bit of white head. Sheets and curtains of lace cascaded down the sides throughout drinking this eventually fading to some finer lace and spots.

S - Brett, as expected. Great tart and funk notes. The aroma turns the slightest bit vinous due to some pleasant vinegar that seems to be there. Slight bit of wood and some fruity sweetness coming through.

T - Nicely sour, with a little bit of a pucker-drawing taste. Some sweet lighter fruit that immediately turns tart. The brett is pretty much present through the whole thing, ending with some barrel notes, mainly in the form of wood.

M - Medium bodied beer with active carbonation and a dry finish.

O - Really great beer, not sure how much this varies batch to batch but this was a big time winner and awesome example of an American Wild. Really no complaints with this one, would love to drink it regularly.

AgentZero, Jul 22, 2011

bsuedekum, Apr 28, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

claspada, Jul 11, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

I first had this beer on my first trip to CA, and my original review is below this one. It's been about 2 years (to my detriment) since I've had a bottle of this batch, and I'm kicking myself for it. In any case, here goes - happy birthday, me!

Served in the original RR -tion tulip (this glass is no longer made and is now a whale IMO), this beer is crystal clear, straw yellow and has a dense, frothy off-white head with excellent retention and minimal lacing. The nose makes me smile. Beautiful overripe lemons, an insane level of funk with cheese, sweaty feet and just an incredible explosion of fruit (unripe white peaches, ripe honeydew melons). The sourness is beautifully citric in nature with some lactic acid no acetic acid. In fact, I will go as far as say that this is an impeccable gueze, it really does remind me of the better batches of Girardin 1882, and my all time favorite, the 1999 Oude Gueuze. The only thing that sets it apart is a light sweetness that's present, very mildly corn-like, and this is not something I've found in a gueuze worth gushing about. Even a little bit of white grapes? As I let it breathe, I get an intense, salty, cheesey, funky aroma. I'm starting to see the beginnings of a musty, mushroomy, wet wood-like funk to the nose that I'm going to enjoy revisiting in a year or so.

Opening and closing with a palate crushing sourness that is remarkably clean in its blend of citric and lactic qualities, this is a remarkable beer. Again, there's plenty of unripe stone fruits, semi-raw grapes, mellow melons, all topped off with a dollop of soured yogurt, this some seriously intense and good stuff. In particular, the yogurty sourness is of note, as it exemplifies what happens when the citric and lactic sourness play off each other. The sourness does hide some of the funk here, not really allowing the wet hay and grass to come through( unlike batch 3, which is a better balanced beer IMO). Under all the sourness, a bit of cereal sweetness does come through, a little grainy and a little corn like. Sour with lemons and a brilliant lactic sourness (I can't think of too many better showcases for lactic acid), this beer finishes with some tannic character. Light in body, medium-high in carbonation, this beer is wonderfully carbonated and wonderfully executed.

This beer , and this batch in particular, is probably the best lambic-type beer brewed in the US. Yes, batch 3 is a better drinking sour, but this batch has a certain je ne sais quoi to it. Far better than Duck Duck Gooze, on par or slightly better than Isabelle IMO. I traded too many of these away, but at least I got to make some friends in the process. A remarkable beer that I'm going to be sad to see gone.

**Original review 05-24-2008 02:30:10**
Batch 2 4.5/4.5/4/4.5/4

A: Straw yellow with a frothy and lively off-white head. Lots of carbonation. Pretty!

S: Complex with notes of sour, vinegar, spice (black pepper), oak and a mild sweetness. There's an earthy slant to it. This is a great gueuze ! As it warms up, there's a hint of vanilla too, if you swirl hard enough.

T: Massive sourness with a lot of acidity. There's a hint of fruitiness that comes in - apple? The finish is dry and puckering tart. Definitely among the sourest beers i've tasted - it leaves my mouth watering

M: Lively carbonation on the tongue, sour and incredibly so with a dry finish.

D: I'll be honest - this is a new style to me and the acidity is in your face but i know this one's a gem as it keeps me coming back

These sours are growing on me and i'm glad i have a couple of bottles stashed away to come back to when i better appreciate the style

**Edit 12 May 2012**
I got a couple of these from Chebyshev. Thank you, Aaron! Batch 5 (aka 011012)

Pouring lighter than I remember it being, but still with excellent carbonation and head retention. The nose is a beautiful bright citrusy funk, with grass and hay. Combining the pure grassy funk of batch 3 with the bright acidity and melon and fruit notes of batch 2, this is a beautiful blend. A little bit of honey, graham crackers and a whiff of ethyl lactate (fruity, coconutty. No acetic acid is perceived, though the lactic acid esters do contribute a fruity sharpness.

Like batch 2, this is pretty hugely sour, but not as intensely so. Prominently lactic with some lime rind and citrusy acidity as well. Mild tannins and the lactic acid really brings to mind unripened stone fruit (yellow freestone peaches, nectarines). The funk level is tempered by the sourness, but grass, and straw are quite prominent. Mildly cheesy as well. Drying on the finish with lingering lactic acid, some oak tannins (that lend a chewiness), this beer is crisply carbonated. Highly sour, this is pretty excellent 4.5/4.5/4/4.5/4.5

DefenCorps, Nov 19, 2011

WOLFGANG, Jun 27, 2013

Duff27, Aug 20, 2013
4.73/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle into a tulip. 9/11/13 bottling date.

pours a murky pale yellow with a half inch white head that quickly dissipates. the smell is massively acidic and is just perfect. the taste starts out very sour and tart but then balances out so well with the funkiness and finishes so dry and awesome. an amazing sour beer...just about perfect in every way. carbonation and mouth feel are on point.

had a batch 3 just last week and it turned much sourer than this fresh batch. both versions extremely good. love it

Axnjxn, Jan 26, 2014
4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

375mL bottle, batch 2, poured into a tulip.

Pours an ever-so-slightly hazy golden orange with a creamy white head that settles in as a small cap fed by the bubbles continually streaming up from the bottom. Lacing is good.

The aroma is a great mixture of tart and sweet fruits with a hint of funk. The tartness comes from lemons up front before the sweetness of pears and maybe apples come in as well as a hint of light malts. The funk is present but very, very faint.

The taste turns the tartness and funk up a notch over the aroma. The initial blast on the tongue is a combination of tart lemons and vinegar acidity. The sweet fruits are there but it takes the beer warming up a bit before I can pick out the sweeter aspects with pears again coming through. The finish brings back the acidity and funk and leaves a puckering aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation and extremely crisp, clean and dry in the finish. Very white wine-like on the palate.

This is another great sour from Russian River and while I probably don't like it quite as much as some of their others, it's still a solid beer.

gford217, May 02, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Lare453, Sep 22, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

A: poured a golden yellow in color with orange higlights and a very thin head which left barely and lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lot of lemon citrus and appla were noticeable on the first whiff alongside musty barnyard bretty funk, some acidity, but with twangy character.

T: the lemon citrus accompanied b the apple falvor did help on the sour punch but with bretty musty funk, a touch of pineapple, and acidic accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, slight fruity, acidic, sour, and dry finish.

O: definitely one of the most sour beers I've had in a while and was glad to revisit this monster again. Another RR success.

Gobzilla, May 03, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me.

illidurit, Apr 12, 2008

I've had this beer quite a few times now in various different stages of it's development. At first from a wooden cask via a wine thief at the brewery. Than a test batch flowing at some god-forsaken beer festival. And finally in it's bottled form, in both the PH1, and 'regular' 001 editions. This beer pours a slightly hazy light golden colour with a large, tight, and compact head of foam that slowly loosend up, expands, and releases the aromas of this magnificent 'neo lambic' creation. This beer has the classic sharp, acidic, traditional lambic aromas that I adore. Balsamic vinegar, cheese, fresh white winter truffles, morbier dipped in lemon juice, etc. A very vinous and lactic sourness is also detectable, moreso in the darker tinged PH1 batch, than the straight 001, I should add. The taste is pungent and acidic with a wonderful fruity wine-like middle that smooths out the 'in-your-face-nature' of this brew and leaves you with a lovely aftertaste on the front and back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy, super smooth, and reminiscent of the Cantillon St. Lamvinus. The drinkability is perfect and this super sour funky american neo lambic is definately one of the most coercive and notion challening brews to ever have passed this BAS' lips. Bravo to Vinnie and Co. For making something truly magical on all levels.

francisweizen, Nov 16, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

This one was sampled during the South Carolina tasting. This was courtesy of beermex2, thank you immensely Steve! Batch 3 750ml bottle.

This one pours a light to medium bodied melted butter in appearance with a light white lacing. It smells of light Granny Smith apples with some apricot and peaches. This is officially the first beer to make me pucker. Wow! This is mind blowingly sour. It is just so tart and you don't get killed with brett its really astonishing. What a sour! As far as sours go, this is a sipper, an utter palate destroyer. Phenomenal, phenomenal beer.

aasher, Sep 25, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to jedwards for sharing. 375ml corked and caged bottle, batch #2. Poured a hazy, golden-orange, with no head. Nose reveals some citrus (perhaps tangerines), cork and a hint of funk. Taste reveals muted grapefruit seeds and a salty quality. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light), with an easy carbonation and some light astringency that stimulates the salivary glands. What an incredible sour - light, flavorful and extremely drinkable. Wish I could get more of this.

Jwale73, Jul 25, 2010