Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,945
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,204 | Reviews: 517

3.72/5  rDev -18.4%

Batch 3.

A: Hazy straw, thin ring of retention leaves a little leg/lace.

S: Huge, overpowering apple tartness. Impressive.

T: A real mouth-puckering tartness, like an unblended lambic. The lactic acid reminds me of sour keys, with hints of underlying candied fruit. The subtleties are certainly lost on me.

M: Light to moderate body has a dry finish.

D: A little tart for my tastes.

Thanks Grub!

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Bought a few bottles from the release a while back, big thanks to fartingdog and DrJay for facilitating it!

Pours an almost clear light amber, almost golden, thin bone white head forms, quickly settles down to a thin ring around my new Bruery glass, drops some nice lace spots on the glass. Smell is badass, tons of oak and vinegar, lots of funky goodness, wine, vanilla, some honey and biscuity malty sweetness underneath the acidic lemons, almost a fresh floral character, kind of like a riesling, pretty awesome. Taste is intense, sweet and sour beginning when it kicks you in the tonge, more of a sweet wine, I get a lot of dry riesling character, fresh floral and honey notes, then the funky acidic character hits, like toasted lemons, vinegar, wood, very nice herbal sour finish, perfectly balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied, silky smooth, low carbonation, goes down insane easy for a sour. Not as much of a palate bruiser as I expected, just perfectly balanced sourness, tons of character, I could drink this stuff all day.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 001-PH1.

Slightly hazed light copper. The big bubbly off white head fizzes away quickly and the remnant collar leaves sparse amounts of lace behind. Carbonation doesn't LOOK to be as jacked up in this one compared to the 001. Aroma is a little more pronounced than the 001. Some barnyard funk and more discernible brett characteristics on the nose. Even a little horse blanket smell. Bone dry feel again in the mouth. Medium bodied. Acidic and tart. Carbonation is not quite as spritzy as the 001, but still nice. Maybe a little bit more of an "airy" feel to it. The acidity and tartness are a little more agressive here compared to 001. Nice bite to it. The funk is more pronounced on the palate and it's pretty damn nice. Fruitiness isn't quite as noticeable compared to 001. I'm not one of those guys that lives and dies for Wild Ales and lambics and sour beers, etc... But this shit is addictive. I'm liking them more and more, but maybe that's 'cuz I'm getting the best of the best here.

Thanks again to Darren for the sample. MUCH appreciated.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Yellow and orange appearance, looks darker than pte, almost appearance wise is more akin to a typical dipa moreso than a wild ale. Real good looking head, this is the best looking wild ale I may have ever seen, just pristine.

Really massive sour notes, dry, earthy and extremely citrusy (and not just lemon).

Taste, wow, immediately reminds me why this is my favorite of the Russian -tion beers. And then it makes me pontificate whether I like this more than framboise for a cure or pty. Yup, that good. Body is light, taste, sour power is heavy. Keeps the brett aspect down, lets the other germs dominate. Never approaches anything that could be considered vinegar-esque. Oak notes are mild. Its all about orange type citrus notes, dry and earthy hyper drive sour.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A chilled bottle poured at Russian River

A - Pours a golden blonde with a nice velvety white head that lasts forever.

S - I keep smelling and not sipping. Very funky and sour. Wheat, flowers, honey, magic?!

T - Tart and sourness flood the palate, but it is very welcoming and friendly. I can't imagine this style being any bett

D - Great fizzy carbonation and body.

O - What a true delight. This beer has made me so happy, I just can't explain it. I will savor it every chance I get.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Reviewed from notes:

Pours with a great funky, earthy, hay & lemon smell. Rich golden color, somewhat hazy. Very tart on the tongue with earthy, leathery undertones. Not at all astringent, but rather finished crisp and cleanly acidic. Excellent beer.

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

This one was sampled during the South Carolina tasting. This was courtesy of beermex2, thank you immensely Steve! Batch 3 750ml bottle.

This one pours a light to medium bodied melted butter in appearance with a light white lacing. It smells of light Granny Smith apples with some apricot and peaches. This is officially the first beer to make me pucker. Wow! This is mind blowingly sour. It is just so tart and you don't get killed with brett its really astonishing. What a sour! As far as sours go, this is a sipper, an utter palate destroyer. Phenomenal, phenomenal beer.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

4.65/5  rDev +2%

A: poured a golden yellow in color with orange higlights and a very thin head which left barely and lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lot of lemon citrus and appla were noticeable on the first whiff alongside musty barnyard bretty funk, some acidity, but with twangy character.

T: the lemon citrus accompanied b the apple falvor did help on the sour punch but with bretty musty funk, a touch of pineapple, and acidic accents.

M: the brew was medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, slight fruity, acidic, sour, and dry finish.

O: definitely one of the most sour beers I've had in a while and was glad to revisit this monster again. Another RR success.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!!

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

Batch 1 and Batch 3 tasted side-by-side, thanks to Joe and Grant for sharing!

Batch 1 pours a hazy deep orange color while Batch 3 pours a lighter and clearer orange-yellow color. Both have half-finger white heads that dissipate into thin rings around the glass leaving decent lacing.

Batch 1 smells of light malts with large amounts of lightly tart citrus and mild amounts of funk. Batch 3 smells of light malts as well; however the citrus is far more tart and the funk is more prominent, with hints of vinegar.

Both taste similar to how it they smell. Batch 1 features light malt flavors kicking things off and equally parts sweet and tart light citrus coming in shortly thereafter. Slight wet hay and leather influences come into play midway through the sip, carrying through to a moderately tart ending. As with the aroma, Batch 3 has much sharper tart citrus influences. Additionally, the funk influence is more robust but of a similar profile to Batch 1.

The mouthfeel for both is good. Solid thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is great for Batch 1 and very good for Batch 3.

Overall I slightly preferred Batch 1, but not by much. Batch 1 was better integrated and the niceties of everything were allowed to shine. Batch 3 was much larger and the flavors popped, but I found some of the nuances were overpowered when compared to Batch 1. Both are world-class beers and severely worth a shot.

Batch 1: 4 - 4.5 - 4.5 – 4 - 5
Batch 3: 4 - 4.5 – 5 – 4 - 4.5

4.02/5  rDev -11.8%

Batch 2, 375ml bottle purchased from Tom Peters' private stash at Monk's Cafe. I've also got a 750mL bottle of Batch 3 at home but wanted to try the batch 2 first.

The beer is golden orange colored and a little hazy with a very thin head. You know it's gonna be sour from the first sniff, acidic and "lambicy". The taste is intense lemon juice and funk, so acidic and tasty it's hard to differentiate from the wicked lambics I've had in Brussels and Brugge. Very dry aftertaste, and alum pucker that lasts and is reborn with each lick of the lips. This is the most sour wild ale I could imagine, very similar to my memory of Apfelwein in Frankfurt but with carbonation. Apfelwein is German apple cider and can be very sour (especially the Saurer Most version).

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Reviewed from notes: 2/23/2011

we busted into this one b/c we failed our first attempt at pliny the younger, and well, we just felt beat...seemed the perfect fit for the situation

A: golden yellow, no head, no lacing

S: sour, sweet funk, peaches and/or apples are subtle

T: cheek puckering sour, but fades to a nice palatable sweetness

M: mild carbonation, well balanced, medium body

D: the most sour of the Russian River's we've tried so far, but really well rounded and truly an enjoyable beer

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

6/12/11 - batch 001-PH1 - another one obtained from lou91 years ago.

A tart wonder - upped scores to an even 4.5

---
375ml bottle, obtained from lou91 a few years back

batch 001 - a gem

appearance: popped the cork on this one and poured into my hopleaf tulip, beautiful bright orange-amber body with a healthy white crest...very bright

smell: aromas strike up comparisons to belgian ales at first whiff...a flash of very wild yeast, sweet and floral

taste: immediately twists the tongue...rather tart with hits of green apple, apple cider vinegar, sugar, lime. This is a lovely sour with great complexity

mouthfeel: dry, tart with a lingering kick...palate dominating

drinkability: pretty strong

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

4.17/5  rDev -8.6%

I had a batch 2 375ml bottle that i drank from Rochefort glass.

This beer pours a dark yellow that has a hint of orange in it, much much darker than tempation. The head and carbonation are both disappointing as I get NO HEAD AT ALL. There is no lacing either.

The aroma is all sour and funk but sadly there isn't much complexity or other aromas. You are just overwhelmed by sour.

The taste makes up for what is lacking in appearance and aroma. It is sweet to start then very tart, definetly a puckerer, the rest of the way but not so overwhelming you can't drink it.

The feel is tart and heavy and just coasts your tongue but crisp to drink and great drinkability for a sour beer.

Overall this wild ale is a good beer, partly just because I love sours. however, compared to other sours it is severly lacking in complexity and originality. Would I drink this beer again? Certainly. Would I go out of my to find it, trade something special to get it, or pay a lot at an auction site no.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

330mL bottle poured into taster - batch 5 - thanks rob

Pours a hazy golden straw yellow color with a bubbly white head. Retains for just a moment before dissolving into some cloudy film with a bit of lacing on the glass.

Punchy, intense tartness in the nose driven by an powerful lemony scent. Hints of citrus peel with funky wetness and hay. Light touch of oak with acid.

Zesty lemon and powerful sourness right off the bat. Citrus peel with funky tones and decent acidity. Puckering sourness continues throughout the profile, drying up on the tongue with some yeasty hints. Finishes with lemon and tartness.

Lighter medium body, slightly higher carbonation, dry, bubbly and extremely lingering on the tongue. If you're looking for an intensely sour beer that packs a punch you won't soon forget, this is the one. I've been waiting to try this for a couple years and it's lived up to the expectations.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle (batch 003) poured into my Russian River "Barrel Aged Ales" goblet (pretty ugly design though). Beatification is a spritzy gold with a large white head that leaves scattered lace. A nice crackle to the head, even though it is pretty quick to dissipate, impressive for what essentially is a gueze.

Smell is very pithy and mineral laden, lemon tonic water, must and a touch of vinegar, very nice.

Taste is wild for sure, wow. I had batch 2 before and it really blew my mind, and this one really lives up to my high expectations. Very tart and complex, citrus and a bit of sugar, though the sweetness is quickly cut by the sour, dry finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and crisp, super dry, light body.

Drinkability is pretty high if your a fan of gueze, in that I wouldn't mind have this on a regular basis. Still, the extreme acidity makes it a very slow sipper and not something I want more then one bottle of in an sitting. Ever since I heard about their plans to make a 'sonambic', I knew I had to get my hands on some. While it's undoubtedly awesome, it's prohibitively expensive, which is really a shame, as it mean I'll have to really hoard my reaming bottles for special occasions, like another Christmas! This should age very well, if I can manage to hold onto it that is!!!

4.47/5  rDev -2%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Stone IRS tulip. 5.75% ABV, Batch 003 (Bottled Sept. 6, 2008).

...only to be followed by a morning of epic proportions! "King of Wilds" sweemzander breaks out the surprise beer first thing after a late breakfast to get our wild on!

A - Clear goldenrod color with heavy carbonation and a good white head. Two fingers of foam and good retention with some nice sticky lace left clinging inside the tulip.

S - Wild bugs fill the nose, Brett, Sacc., lactobacillus, all blend nicely with very mild barnyard funk. Great mildly hoppy aroma with some tart and crisp lemon citrus. A swirl brings out bigger sharp tartness like sweaty gym socks. What's wrong with us geeks for liking that in a beer?

T - Pale malt and light citrus hops get washed away instantly by tart sourness and lactobacillus sharp flavor. One-dimensional, but oh-so-good!

M - Very sharp, heavy carbonation and a tart finish with a mouth-puckering sourness. Very dry throughout the finish.

D - Such great drinkability! This one goes down so well it's hard to keep any in the glass while reviewing! Also difficult in terms of it's rarity! Thanks for the top 100 tick Sweem!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company