1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,614 | Reviews: 495 | Show All Ratings:
Deuane

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Batch 002

A-Hazy, golden yellow with a thin white head that reduced to a thin veil and left spotty lace.

S-Strong mustiness up front and then changes over to a sharp, green apple/cider vinegar sourness. Nice.

T-Sharp green apple sourness up front, almost reaches to vinegar levels but reigns back to finish musty and dry.

M-Light bodied, very crisp with long lasting tart flavours.

D-Mmmm, mmm damn good stuff. I love green apples and this is that in fermented form. The "wildness" is fairly subtle and does it's best to accompany the flavours and not overwhelm them.

09-30-2009 12:40:50 | More by Deuane
cpetrone84

4.65/5  rDev +2%

Shared by a friend at December tasting. Batch 2 and 3 next to each other.

Notes from Batch 2
A-pours a bright golden yellow liquid that glows in the light with a creamy white head.

S-the nose is huge, tons of funk, lots of barnyard with notes of cheese. there are earthy yeasts, a fair bit of sourness in the nose with light signs of acidity. big fruits come in behind, tart lemons, sour peaches, juicy golden fruits.

T-this is very well integrated with great funk notes up front. the earthy barnyard aromas carry right into the flavor, light flavors of cheese, hints of yeast. juicy golden fruits are blended in with the funk with some tart lemon, light pear and peach flavors with a strong sourness to it.

M-the fel is livey and mouth puckering, medium to full body with a syrupy texture but soft and supple on the palate. nice dry finish and still a persistent sour feel.

D-this is extremely well balanced with a great funk to it not seen in most american sours. very gueuze like with plenty of fruit sweetness to add deep complexity and balance.

Batch 3-this is also very solid, would get a slightly lower rating. it has the same complex funk to it that Batch 2 had. It has slightly more acidity but still has the same assertive sourness. It also doesn't have the bright golden fruit presence that batch 2 has, it is there but not quite as vibrant. Integrated well but slightly less complex.

03-07-2011 15:44:58 | More by cpetrone84
ehammond1

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Bottle (2008/Batch 003)

Thanks for opening this with me, schmoopsbeer!

(Aged for 3+ years)

Hazy golden and yellow with orange highlights and a pillowy, finger and a half high, nearly white head, that leaves the glass messy with sheets of lace.

The aroma is far more funky than I would have presumed along with with huge amounts of sour acidity rushing up from the glass as well. The funk comes in waves of barnyard, hay, and leather, while the sourness has strong apple, pear, and lemon accents. Strong, aggressive, and fantastic aroma. The Brett and the sourness combine incredibly well.

The flavor is just as amazing and even more complex, with the Brett, barnyard, horse blanket, hay notes coming through very strongly, right alongside the big, tart lemon sourness making one's jowls quiver. Complete, funky, sour, delicious, drinkable--all words I'd use to describe this bottle.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. A treat to drink.

One of my all-time favorites.

02-14-2012 21:23:05 | More by ehammond1
BARFLYB

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks goes out to Arbitrator for the assist, batch 3, poured into Duvel snifters for best effect.

A- Beatification is quite beasutiful. A hazy mix of yellow and orange giving off a glowing look when up towards light. The head was not high, probably like a 1/2 inch of semi loose white foam. Lacing is not great, but this one is still quite a looker.

S- This smells great. A big blast of sourness with a backdrop of citrus consisting of lemons. Not very funky, more tart like. This wild is very closely resembling a gueuze. The smell just lingers from the glass, drawing you in.

T- Oh my, a sour tart punch straight to the tastebuds. This one woke me up. With the up front citrus the squeezed lemon is there plus some minimal grapefruit. There is some funk going on but I would not call it funky, maybe that's just in this newer batch. Quite acidic and delicious. Some oak and more funk come out with warming.

M- Puckering to say the least, let this one roll around in your mouth for some time and it will open you up. Tart, fruity and refreshing. Finishes dry with perfect carbonation giving off a spritzy feel when the drink is colder. The body is in between light and medium and is again perfect for this style.

D- A low ABV like this would grant a whole bottle to the head, but all the bugs in my system afterwards is not a good look and would eat my skinny ass up. When I gain 100 pounds or so I will attempt to drink a 750 of this, for now sharing is fine with me. The drinkability on this is insane, I drank my glass in no time, and now im looking for more.

08-01-2009 02:30:21 | More by BARFLYB
ngeunit1

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a hazy golden-yellow color with a finger of frothy white head atop. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is full of barnyard funk with sour peach and pear and other light fruits. There is also some lemon peel and other citrus flavors with some oak.

T - Starts off with lots of sourness and funk with some pear and other tart light fruits and lots of farmhouse flavors. Through the middle, some more funky flavors comes through with some Brett and other wild yeast flavors and some oak. The finish is a mix of funky wild yeast flavors with lots of farmhouse flavors, strong sourness, oak, and some lemon peel.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-plus carbonation. Feels smooth with a sour and funky finish.

D - Very drinkable. The sourness and funky flavors are so strong, but at the same time the beer feels very balanced. I really like the wild yeast flavors.

06-08-2012 06:59:46 | More by ngeunit1
GbVDave

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a St. Feuillien chalice. Extra special thanks go out to HeatherAnn for this one!

Batch 002

A: Pours a hazy, glowing, gold color with a small and quite bubbly head that recedes all too fast. The head melts down to a whispy skim and bubbly ring that leaves a hand full of small lacy spots.

S: The first whiff is of vinegar. As my nose became accustomed to the sourness I began to pick up notes of tart citrus, oak, and brett funk.

T: Tart and sour! As the shock to the tongue began to wear off I noticed subtle nuances of citrus (both sweet and sour), earthy hops, oak, and at the finish, some toasted malt.

M: Tart and pucker inducing. I kept running my tongue around the inside of my mouth to make sure none of the sourness went to waste.

S: Pretty damn amazing. I'm constantly amazed at my palates' ability to evolve. A year and a half ago I would've sworn this was spoiled. Now, I'm loving the sour beers!

04-29-2008 22:43:04 | More by GbVDave
srandycarter

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you Thom for scoring this for me.

A - Cloudy straw, small white head, good cling.

S - Punky, green apple, barn, tart, malt there but in the background.

T - Refreshing. Delicious. Tart, malt in the back but present, crisp.

M - Nice carb, light body, great balance.

D - I see where it gets its high marks.

06-08-2012 03:44:52 | More by srandycarter
oline73

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a Chimay goblet. The bottle is dated 011012.

Appearance: Pours a clear light golden/straw color with a thick layer of fluffy white head. The head fades quickly and leaves a small layer and a ring on top of the pour.

Smell: Very light and extremely sour smelling. Definitely getting some funk and some hay/barn type smells. There is just a hint of lemon juice in the sour notes.

Taste: This is an extremely sour beer. The overall flavor is light and crisp. It's full of tart lemon, some white vinegar, and some funk. In the finish I'm getting some slightly herbal flavor that reminds me of aged hops. This one kind of reminds me of a very sour lambic.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the light side of medium with a good amount of fluffy carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This is a really sour, really good beer. It may be slightly one dimensional, but it's really good at what it aims to do. I really enjoyed this and will search out more in the future.

10-14-2012 02:57:45 | More by oline73
billab914

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Batch 3, poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a yellow gold color with a small white head that settled to a small ring around the glass.

Aroma has some apple and grape fruit flavors with a slight citrusness and sourness. Taste is very good. The sourness hits you first with the fruity apple and grape flavors coming through. The sourness reminds me a lot of sour candies maybe, sweet tarts. It finishes with the funky barnyard flavors that I have read about but not experienced for so long.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with above average carbonation. Drinkability is good, this is a very strong flavor but also very enjoyable.

Overall I am very impressed, I would consider this one of my first real sour beers and definitely my first American sour. I can definitely see why these RR sours are so sought after now. Excellent beer that I would definitely buy again.

12-21-2009 02:14:31 | More by billab914
Floydster

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

375 ml bottle acquired in a trade with brewandbbq, big thanks for letting me try this highly sought after beer

Batch 001-PH1, aged in New Belgium La Folie barrels for 23 months, bottle says it can be aged for up to four additional years, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, bottle review #300

A-Medium orange with a slight red or pink tint when held up to the light, huge 1 1/4 inch head that aggressively bubbly, not much retention though, tons of little bubbles rushing to the top the whole time through, minimal retention

S-Funky sourness, nothing but tarty aromas, brettanomyces was pretty strong, wood chips, different citrus scents, oddly a bit of some kind of nuttiness, raspberries and cherries, balsamic vinegar, and some hints of malt

T-If this does not make you pucker then I do not know what will, amazing tarty taste that manages to stay smooth at the same time, sour cherries and brettanomyces right up front, lemon juice, earthy, grassy at times, seemed like there was some Belgian yeast, tangerines and grapefruit, coriander, orange peel and faint pepper flavors in the finish, not noticeably dry like most other Russian River wild ales, continued to get more complex as it warmed, sourness never got old, crazy how all this balanced out, fantastic flavor

M-Medium body, large amounts of carbonation that was a little much at the beginning, only complaint about this entire beer, taste lingered for a few minutes at a time, tarty sour mouthfeel

D-Could drink a half dozen of these at a sitting, so easy to drink and smooth, light on the stomach, alcohol can barely be tasted, only five percent anyways, one of the only true session wild ales, amazing drinkability

One of the best beers I have ever had, just slightly under Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale from this same brewer, which probably contained a good amount of this stuff in its blend, pretty much flawless in my opinion, will try to get a case of the next batch in a few months but this beer is in very high demand so I might be driving up north on its release date, I cannot recommend this beer enough, true masterpiece

02-11-2008 07:53:41 | More by Floydster
cosmicevan

4.33/5  rDev -5%

HUGE thank you to Aaron for surprising me with this gem. shared with mike and scott in an evening of exciting sours.

batch 004

a - poured a murky fuzzy orangey yellow with a thin fizzy head. the bottle was a gusher.

s - black pepper funk. sweet tarts. like a russian river sour on funk steroids.

t - WHOA that's a funky sour! sour grapefruit. like the juice they used to give me in day camp when i needed something thirst quenching, yet instead ended up having dried out puckered mouth. the oak is in there, but under the sour flavoring. smarties and sweet tarts.

m - PUCKERING - super sour.

o - extremely sour. not for the faint of heart. nearly knocked me down at first. all that being said, it didn't seem much different than the standard russian river sours, which in my opinion are just as good as this. this is definitely on the overly sour side.

*** ** * ** ***
edit 2012-08-15 Batch 3 (750)
*** ** * ** ***
4 - 4.5 - 4.5 - 4 - 4
Notes from a tasting on 8/15. big thanks to totoropanda for bringing this one.

appearance was just like the other batches i've tried, a murky orange. smell was super sour and tart in the nose with some floral kicks to it. taste was also extremely sour and sweet tart with some floral notes. the beer has a really nice feel to it. not prickly but close to it. this is a really solid beer, very balanced and extremely drinkable for such a sour beer. i found that i liked this batch better than batch 4, but not as much as batch 5.

02-11-2012 00:41:44 | More by cosmicevan
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -20%

Batch 3 courtesy of grub and batch 2 courtesy of biegaman, sampled on back-to-back nights. Thanks guys for this rare treat! My first wild ale.

Cloudy yellow pour with a tight white cap that dissipates to a ring and leaves a few spots of lace. HUGE sour aroma of lemons and green apples taht really leaps out at you. Mega-sour flavour, with strong lemon and citrus notes throughout. Odd hints of apple, and a touch of funk. Just impressively sour and overwhelming for me. Light body, with a crisp, dry finish.

I don't think sours are really my thing, whihc will save me a bundle in the long run. However, I'm quite impressed with this and I can see why some people have fallen in love with the style. A very well-constructed beer, but not one I'd look for any time soon.

08-09-2009 21:16:12 | More by bobsy
flexabull

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

It's Friday, the week is over. Time to crack open something special...

Batch #002

Pours a bright gold color, with slight haze, a light white head, and obvious carbonation.

Aromas are strong, and very pleasant. This was easily to smell right when the cork popped. Aromas are of citrus, mostly lemons, some dust, yeast, spice, and a floral quality. Definite funk.

Tastes is incredibly tart and sour. I am puckering just thinking about the first sip. A very dry citrus lemon flavor with some funky yeast spices and a touch of oak. Finish is crisp, with a nice hint of creamy malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is great. Very clean, nicely carbonated, with a nice thick feel up front.

Drinkability is good. This is a beer I have wanted to try for quite some time now. Incredibly interesting and unique tasting. But one bottle is easily more than enough. I probably should have waited to share this bottle with someone. I really like this, but I prefer Sanctification, Compunction, and Temptation to this one. I just found those to be easier to drink. That's not to slight this one at all... Beatification is another Russian River home run.

04-25-2008 22:18:31 | More by flexabull
illidurit

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me.

04-12-2008 22:17:06 | More by illidurit
Hojaminbag

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

I got this and a bunch of other Russian River goodness from Jhenry04. Thanks Jason, I've been wanting to get my hands on this stuff for awhile.

Hazy golden color with almost no head at all.

Smells sour. Really sour.

This is the sourest beer I have ever had. I can almost pick up some citrus and fruit notes, but everytime I try to put my finger on it, the sourness takes over. This beer reminds me of that candy "warheads." I think it's a good thing, I like this one for sure.

Mouthfeel is puckering. If you let this beer sit in your mouth for too long, you will eventually pucker. I think that's pretty cool for a wild ale.

Drinkability is good, not something you can down though.

09-17-2008 17:32:10 | More by Hojaminbag
scottfrie

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

375ml bottle into Delirium Noël glass. Batch 002 bottled 2/29/08.

A: Pours a bright clear orangeish-golden with thin bubbly white head that vanished into a faint collar. No lacing.
S: Crazy funky and tart smelling with notes of sour cherries, lemon zest and musty attic.
T: There is an initial blast of tartness as the acid hits your tongue, but it is not harsh or vinegary. The fruits in this beer are very vinous similar to that of a sweet white wine. I get flavors of white grapes, pears, dark cherries, oak tannins, faint vanilla and tobacco. Aftertaste has incredible notes of blackberries and blueberries with a light cheesy funk. Not as dry as I would have expected but there is still a fair amount of gritty tannins in the finish. The beer coats your mouth after each swallow and leaves a sweet sticky fruit flavor that is just wonderful.
M: Carbonation is a bit low but who cares. Body is medium and the mouthfeel is so very smooth despite the light tartness.
D: The best barrel-aged Russian River beer I've ever had. One of the best wild ales I've ever had. One of the best beers I've ever had! Oh man was this tasty. I wish I had more.

10-15-2010 03:49:34 | More by scottfrie
homebrew311

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle of b5 poured into -tion glass. The pour is hazy yellow with fizzy appearance. Minimal head present, no lacing. The aroma is heavenly. Notes of lactic acid pair with candied tangerine, tart cherries, waves of oak, and a touch of lemon zest. The taste is quite a journey starting with candied fruits, mainly citrus. A bit of oak and funk comes through next as things quickly head towards the intensely sour side of the spectrum. The finish leaves a lingering tartness on the tongue which leaves you hanging for the next sip. The mouthfeel is effevescent and the body is light. Overall, this is not only a very approachable sour with great balance, but it is damn tastey and well rounded. The hype train surrounds this one for a reason. This is a must try for anyone who enjoys sour beers.

04-22-2012 05:59:19 | More by homebrew311
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whew, glad I found these notes...

Poured to a slender Argyle wine taster in the earliest hours of April 6th. I brought this (a 375ml caged/corked bottle, Batch 002) with me to Louisiana, where I had hoped to share a few sips with my mom. A little too late, though, as she slipped away into a semi-coma earlier in the evening... a grateful 'cheers' for the time we shared that weekend.

A: Uncorked with a soft pop and poured like liquid bread, a hazy golden-orange, 'apricot' colored. A brief fizz and roil, followed by a thin swirling veil and pencil-thin white ring. Behind that dense cloudiness, there seem to be a several decent streams of carbonation.

S: Brazen 'sweet-tart' greeting; it tingles in the nose with citrus pith, rotting hay ('barn' aroma) and a fleeting clover/mint sweetness. Finishing 'oak barrel' woodsy tannins, white grape.

T: Biting tartness and, later, a chalky dryness. Unripened berries and crisp green apples, both sour and introduce some sweetness. A pithy lemonade, an earthy tang that hints at stronger goat cheeses (???, but the bacterial/mineral base makes sense...). Complex (no surprise) and intense, pretty outstanding.

M: An upfront lip-pucker and tongue-curl. Cellaring seems to have reduced crispness/carbonation; the resulting milder feel is surprisingly smoothed, the body medium/light. Some medicinal dryness in a lasting finish.

D: A 'wow' American Wild, vibrant and refined over time...I'd love to have this again (and have since picked up later versions of Beatification for similar aging), but it's a style that is best in small quantities and/or shared with someone special.

Thanks to jgaston for sending this bottle back in mid-2008...glad I cellared it for a couple years.

05-01-2010 18:47:58 | More by msubulldog25
Overlord

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Another splendid sour ale wild ale from Russian River. I was expecting this to be similar to Temptation (which I tried last night), but it ended up being quite different.

Pours a brilliant golden color. Thin white crust, no real head. It has the characteristic champagne bubbles, but decidedly less so than Temptation. As a result, the mouthfeel was a bit more flat ... unfortunately less appealing (for me, at least).

The smell indicated that the funk level was going to be raised insanely high. Vinegar, overwhelming tartness, and wood/oak tones abounded in the aroma. The taste was explosively sour. The wood/oak flavoring was gigantic, far more so than La Folie's Wood Aged Beer, which is the closest I can think of in terms of sour woodsy flavoring. Vinegar, tartness, and young sour citrus abound. While the flavor is definitely complex, it can be a bit more one-note than Temptation as the session progresses.

I see that folks mention lighter fruits such as sour cherries, raspberries, etc. I'm not getting much of that. If those were added, I guess the "Brett" character is pummeling them.

Definitely demands a lot of your palate. Delicious.

04-12-2008 07:02:32 | More by Overlord
mdaschaf

Washington

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Big thanks to Nanobrew and FosterJM for this one!

A: Slight pop when the cork came off. Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white, fizzy head on top. Pretty good retention with sporadic lacing that doesn't last too long.

S: Fantastic tartness. Some peach, lemon, apricot, and white grapes. Nice citrus fruits and some nice barnyard funk that blends nicely with the fruit/tartness.

T: Has a very gueuze like flavor, lots of tart lemon and some apricot. Underneath there is some tart green apple and more white grapes. Very mouth puckering and it is amazing.

M: Medium bodied, great level of carbonation. Very tart/acidic, but I am really liking it.

O: Simply put, amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Great flavor and extremely tart.

06-25-2012 01:08:52 | More by mdaschaf
grub

Ontario (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

thanks again to fartingdog for helping this one to come my way. you rock dave!

batch 002 (375ml corked and caged) side-by-side with batch 003 (750ml corked and caged). sampled nov 15/09.

appearance on both is about the same as my previous review. batch 2 seems to have a bit more clarity, but that's likely just because it has sat longer.

aroma on #2 matches my last review and is quite similar to #3 except that it has a more pronounced acidity and vinegary component.

taste seems to match what i observed in the aroma - both match my last review except for a more pronounced acidity/vinegary character in #2.

mouthfeel matches in both.

drinkability is pretty good, but the acidity, particularly in batch 002, takes away from it somewhat. it also seems to have lost some its depth with time. overall i think i liked #2 better fresh and #3 is pretty damn good now. i'll leave the scores as-is, but consider them to reflect each batch when fresh.

previous review: 4/4/4.5/4.5/4.5 = 4.3

thanks to fartingdog and DrJay for helping this one to come my way.

375ml bottle, corked and caged. batch 002. sampled aug 24/08, 7 days before i'll be visiting the brewpub. woohoo!

pours pale yellow with a small ring of dense white head. drops almost instantly and leaves a few spots of lace.

aroma is good. lemon and a bit of sour orange. leather and horse blanket. alcohol. bit of cider vinegar and acidity. white bread. cracker. bit of grain. touch of caramel. apple. white wine. bit of raw oak.

taste is great. lots of fruit up front. apple. lemon. bit of light citrus. then the funk hits - sour lemon, apple cider vinegar, leather and horse blanket. light caramel. bit of alcohol. bread and cracker. bit of grain. there's a nice floral component to it too that i kind of enjoy. white wine. oak. bit of vanilla.

mouthfeel is good. medium-low carbonation level. medium-light body with a fairly clean dry finish.

drinkability is great. balanced acidity, great depth. interesting and very enjoyable. it'll be neat to see how this one changes with some age.

11-16-2009 01:39:15 | More by grub
prototypic

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Batch 002

Appearance: It's hazy and a very light straw color. Maybe a touch of orange to it. Minute amount of sediment can be seen lurking around. Head is foamy white and a modest one finger. It receded quicly and left a very light lacing on the glass.

Smell: No doubt this is a very tart smelling beer. I can almost taste the sourness already. Due to the use of Brett, it certainly has a bit of barnyard funkiness going on. But, it's a little subdued and nicely done. There's a very light fruity aroma that smells mostly of grape. It's a little earthy and grainy. Nice and complex.

Taste: The flavor really delivers when comes to being tart and sour. The nose was a spot-on representation of the taste. It's not so aggressive that it's mouth puckering, but it's very tart and sour. It certainly has a citrusy aspect. Lemon and grapefruit flavors are sweet and really contribute to the strong tart taste. There's a nice grainy flavor and a wood-like taste that appear toward the finish. I can only surmise the wood flavor is attributable to the barrel aging. Finishes sour and very, very dry.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and very dry. It's really drying out my palate. Carbonation is lighter than expected, but well done. It's got an incredibly smooth feel and is very drinkable. At 5.5%, abv is very modest and if you're into sours, this could be consumed in mass quantities.

I've been waiting to try Beatification for a while and it truly delivers. I don't really know how to characterize this beer. It's art in a bottle. Everything about it is just so artfully crafted. I can't constructively criticize any aspect of this beer. I'm not convinced it can be any more well done than this. Coming from one who's not the biggest of sour fans, that's a huge compliment. Highly recommended.

06-09-2008 02:27:01 | More by prototypic
nickd717

3.8/5  rDev -16.7%

Had this several times (batches 2 and 3), bottle and on tap, and while it's pretty good, I just can't understand the hype for this one.

A - Hazy golden color with a white head and good lacing. Some sediment present from the bottle.

S - Sour green apples, lemon, and funk. You can tell this is going to be a tart one.

T - Incredibly sour, lemony pale malt, lactic acid, and grapefruit. I know this is blasphemous, but this beer is too sour IMO. Really dominates the rest of the flavors.

M - Sharp and acidic with medium body. Pretty intense.

D - Not very drinkable. It's just too sour to have very much of. Would be quite a chore to take down an entire 750ml of this in one sitting, so it's good they bottle in 375ml too.

EDIT 2/2010: Had this a couple more times from the bottle and it grows on you a bit. Still a bit one-dimensional and overdone, but it is reasonably drinkable and can be tasty if you get the right batch. Raising it from a B- to a high B+. I like this beer now.

08-25-2009 18:50:03 | More by nickd717
sweemzander

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Batch 003. I believe thanks go out to Andrew for sharing this with us! Been a longtime want on my list.

(A)- Pours a hazy pale yellow straw color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.5)

(S)- Dry, with an earthy hay/clay background. Some really nice tart citrus fruits. Hints of a dry, clean cheesy lactic acidity. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour with the same nice fruits. Rather earthy like the smell with hay funk and some clay. Crisp. I really like the subtle oak woodiness that mingles in the background on this. (5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. So smooth, yet so crisp and sour. Complex to a point, but just delivers on mouthfeel in a harmonious way. (5.0)

(D)- Just a beautiful beer. Balanced with everything in the right place. Could not ask for anything better in the style. (5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.8)
___
**Updated Review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Batch 003

(A)- Pours a beautiful clear golden yellow/orange color that produced a good white fluffy head that stuck around for awhile. Plenty of lacing left behind. A sweet looking color.

(S)- A wonderfully dry funky earth with some acidic and tart lemon rind. Its actually kind of simple, but is just such a sexy smell that I could enjoy its aroma all day.

(T)- Same as the smell. A wonderfully dry earthy funk with a mouthpuckering lemon rind and white grape sourness. Again, simple, but so dynamic and sexy in my opinion that it deserves the top mark.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A massive acidic sourness, but an assertive dry earthy fruit funk to back it up. It really reminds me of a superb Gueuze.

(D)- Just a wonderfully sexy wild ale! A great feel, smell, and taste. It really is just about perfect. The sourness is quite potent however; just enough to not get a perfect in drinkability.
This having been my second time trying it, I really do think it deserves the updated score I am giving it. Rareness and demand aside, this is really world class in every way. Makes me want to try some of the older batches to compare with this, but I doubt that will ever happen. Russian River needs to release a new batch of this asap!

10-25-2010 21:51:29 | More by sweemzander
Reagan1984

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to Bdige for providing this special treat in a recent trade. I’ve had this as two beer fests, but am excited to sit with a bottle.

Batch 002

Only a small amount of white head forms and immediately fades to a cap on about ½ of the surface. The beer is a bright brass color with the absolute slightest haze . No lacing to speak of.

Pungent with lactic notes, lots of earthy notes and some sharp funk. Very complex aroma. A sense of lemon.

Woow, sour to say the least. Some white wine notes, lemon peel, tart vinegar, A touch of granny smith apple and then some oak at the finish. Drinks a bit like a gueuze to be honest. The tart notes mingle with the oak at the end to produce an interesting finish. The real funky notes continue to emerge as it warms.

Very light and refreshing. A sense of delicateness here.

While this is very good, I still think Supplication is my favorite of their line-up.

11-24-2011 18:51:43 | More by Reagan1984