Compunction - Russian River Brewing Company

Compunction
No picture uploaded.

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: clickpush on 04-01-2007)

RyanHophead, Jul 13, 2014

kevfujii, Jan 08, 2012

SpillyBeers, Dec 27, 2011

Paramecium, May 09, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to Matt for bringing the growler to Beachwood for Gabe's birthday. Full pours for everyone!

Poured a brilliant pale yellow with a small foamy white head. Many bubbles throughout the glass.

The aroma was of some brett funk, but a ton of that great lambic acidity and some nice acetic notes. Not really any fruit in the aroma, but damn, it reminded me of 99 Bellevue Selection Lambic. Very fresh aroma.

The flavor was intensely tart and acidic. It had a promient acetic note, much like the Bellevue and Rodenbach that was amazing. The maltiness was light, but full enough to round things out and create a very balanced profile. Some biscuit and wheat. A little grapefruit citrus quality as well. I didn't really get much fruit in this beer, but the other flavors were so intense and well-developed that it didn't matter.

The body was light as was the mouthfeel, but in no way were they thin. The carbonation was bright and lively.

An outstanding sour beer that very well may be the best I've had from Vinnie on this end. Hell, it may be the best American sour I've ever had. What a magnificent creation.

SacoDeToro, Apr 10, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

Notes from Monk's Cafe Stuff-If-Ication dinner 7 June 2011

The course title: COMPUNCTION STUFFED COMPUNCTION
Huh? What is that?
Answer: Compunction Sorbet Float

we received a flute filled with a melon-baller size scoop of compunction sorbet over this AMAZING beer.

light gold in color. no head. champagne in comparison: the flute vessel, beaded carbonation, light coloration.

smelled of white grape, pear, tart cherry, grapefruit, tangerine, lime. very sharp aroma.

holy S. to be less specific, it tasted like someone went half and half with temptation and supplication. EXCELLENT. sour as hell with a lot of grapefruit, cherry, pear, peach, and pinot grigo flavors. really smooth though--of course it's smooth, what have i learned thus far? the sorbet, however, was very subtly fruity with a bit of yeast at the back end. creamy for a sorbet, too.

thinner than the other sours supplication and temptation and definitely more thin bodied. it's resembles a sparkling white wine more closely than any beer in texture and consistency i've had to date.

wow. i mean really killer. this was only a single 4oz flute pour; by far the smallest pour of the evening. i'd defenestrate to have some more of this.
cheers

patm1986, Nov 02, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +11%

Big thanks to AgentSteve for trading me a growler of this expensive beer!

Opened this one inside the Lost Abbey during the Port 2nd Anniversary Party. From my notes.

Wow, oh wow!

Poured a golden color, very similar to an ipa. Very good retention.

The aroma was amazing. Malty, tart, fruity, well balanced. There was some sea salt, pear, citrus fruits, vinegar and funk. There were fruits like pears, apricots, and grapes.

The taste was very similar and also included some dry white grapes or white grape skins, vinegar and a mix of berries. Very tart but not overly sour. It had a nice dry finish that kept you asking for more. This was too easy to drink.

One of the best sour beers I have ever had.

seaoflament, May 04, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Had this beer at Stone's Bistro and Gardens. I wont waste any time and just say I LOVE THIS BEER. Poured golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipated into a nice lace. The nose was fairly sour, and drew me in. For being as sour as it was, I found compunction to be very drinkable. I would love to drink this beer again.

BrewBakerE, Aug 30, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

On-tap at toronado in a wine glass. notes from the "tion" night last year. I figured I'd finally get around to filling in some of the 10,000 review from notes that I ahve yet to enter into the beeradvocate system. Anyways. This one is a great hazed peach flesh colour with a small off-white cap of foam that actually sticks to the glass pretty well and provides with some visual legs and lacing. Aroma is straight pluot and barnyard funk with a lot of complexity, vinegar, eacetic acid, and wild brett notes. Taste is similar with a very acidic backbone and fruity and very flavorful funkafied front palette. Mouthfeel is very refined and sharp and the drinkability is awesome, but this one is a heartburn burner for sure!

francisweizen, Mar 21, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Two tasters at the Second Stone Sour Fest to start off the day, wish I had more of this one now, worth every word of hype for me, best sour from Russian River or really anybody else for that matter with the exception of their Toronado and Bottleworks collaborations probably,

A-Golden yellow with a very slight orange look, 3/4 inch thin and very bubly head, incredible retention, some lacing
S-Vinegar, malt, funkiness, apricots, various citrus aromas, salt, pears, plums, brettanomyces, grapes, complex and fantastic, smell was best part of this brew
T-Very tart, full of berries, super dry finish, never too sour like I had heard but perfect instead in that sense, great balance of fruits, gets even better as it warms, deep sweet flavors
M-Carbonation is very aggressive, very acidic and tart mouthfeel, thin to medium body, taste lasted a long time and you never wanted it to go away
D-Would have gotten a perfect all around if it was not for the fact that the acidity could really take its toll after a while, low ABV though, refreshing, not a sipper but should be attacked that way for your stomach's sake

Been wanting to try this since trying my first RR brew a couple years ago, thought this would be two taster tickets at the fest for sure and luckily it was not, cannot believe this stuff is usually fifty dollars for a growler, it is still worth it for that in my opinion, too bad this is not bottled or available year round, exceeded my expectations, cannot wait to drink again and might a trip up to Santa Rosa that year for that reason alone, truly something special, cannot recommend this one enough

Floydster, Jul 23, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +8.8%

Oh, my, goodness... If Vinnie doesn't add this as a regular bottled sour, I will forever miss the day I had Compunction on tap.

Pours a hazy golden color. I can smell the tart citrusy smell before the bartender even sets it down. I'm not sure if that's making the beer look greenish or if this beer has a slight lemon-limy tinge to it. Anyways, it looks pretty.

This has, by far, my favorite aroma of any of the RR sours I've had so far. Lemon and grapefruit and some other weird citrusy fruits are exploding in my nose. I am so ridiculously amped to taste this that I have to literally take a few breaths and calm myself before I can have a sip.

Hallelujah! This monster tastes like someone melted a lemon and a grapefruit warhead and threw them in my face. It's delicious. I have found my new favorite sour, sorry Supplication.

Estocker, Feb 06, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

This is brewed with pluots.

This pours a clear golden straw with tight white bubbles and tight lacing.

Overwhelmingly sour and tart aroma hits you upfront, almost immediately—as I approached the glass to nose it the aroma caught me off guard. Strong and to the point, I like it!
Like a pluot? Maybe if said pluot was squeezed and some of the spray caught you in your eyes?

The flavor is sharp, intensely tart, it has a mouthpuckering sourness upfront and just rolls off the tongue.

Shippable, fantastic, dry finish.

So good I I made my sour drinking friend jealous. Best part—at the end, as it warmed, I caught some toasted coconut. Yet another amazing brew from Russian River.

elNopalero, Aug 06, 2012