Join our email list →

American Wild Ale | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: clickpush on 04-01-2007

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.28/5  rDev -2.5%

Had this on tap yesterday at the brewpub. The waitress warned me of the sourness and asked me if I would like a sample before purchasing the beverage. I declined and explained to her that these beers are why I visit the establishment.

Served in a tulip glass. Golden blonde in color with superb clarity. Head is lacking. Nice lacing.

Big acetic acid aromas with some woody smells, and pluot (plum X apricot hybrid that this beer was aged on) aromas.

Lots of sour! If memory serves me this beer is twice as sour as Temptation. Still not overwhelming. Apricot, oak, and white wine flavors stand out. Very refreshing.

Slight pucker from the sourness and tannins. Delightful. Yet another finely crafted sour ale from Russian River.

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

I feel lucky that I got to try this last night.

Beer pours a crisp gold color with a faint head.

Aromas are dusty, tart, and with a fair sour fruitiness.

Reminds me of a lighter Supplication. It has a more dry flavor then Supplication. But it still has a very sour fruity character. It's certainly dry, as mentioned before. .. and it finishes with a tart, dusty, and with a puckering quality. Another complex and well put together Russian River Wild Ale.

Mouthfeel is top notch. Every time I try a Russian River beer, I am always reminded at how full and thick they feel in your mouth. Excellent!

Drinkability is WAY up there. This one easily competes with Temptation and Supplication. Great stuff!

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

04/15/07- Had on tap at the Russian River Brewing Co in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- 14oz tulip pour plus a 2oz sampler via the tap.

Appearance- Clouded off golden colored pour, maybe a bit of a hue towards orange. Smaller less than a 1/4 inch head which thins out soon thereafter. Leaves behind a few nice lace rings.

Smell- Decent amount of barnyard funk and a heavy dose of brett. This will be sour.

Taste- Hmmm, sour, but not the intense sour I was expecting. Seems like more towards a lambic style...maybe even a gueuze. I can taste what could be a light muddled plum flavor, but can't make out the apricot.

Mouthfeel- Very lightly carbonated and flows very easily down my gullet. Lambic style smooth.

Drinkability- Had a cold when I tried this, so I'm either giving it too much due, or not enough. Hoping I see it again in the future so I can give it a better review. As is, another classic example of what an american brewery can do with belgian style brews.

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Pour: Draught to tulip glass at the brewery. A lightly clouded pale golden ale arrives with about a half inch of white head that melts into a medium lace cap. Plenty of bubbles punctuate the body of the beer.

Nose: Rather light in the aroma, but very obviously an RR wild ale. Full of brett, must and farminess with a touch of tart fruit presence. Very dusty.

Mouth: Much like it smells - unbelievably sour, in the best way possible. Horse blanket, sour brambles, brett, puckering like you can't believe. The chalkboard says this one is aged for 1.5 years with plumcots (which in my experience are really called pluots) - a hybrid of a plum and apricot. Mouthfeel is full bodied and quite effervescent. This one takes a second for the mouth to recover from the sourness, but it goes great with the meat calzone (#2) and balances out the extra pepper flakes that I generously applied.

Why doesn't RR bottle everything?!

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last