Compunction - Russian River Brewing Company

Compunction
No picture uploaded.

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: clickpush on 04-01-2007)
RblWthACoz

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

Been a while since I've had a new sour beer from Russian River. I, of course, have no objections.

Lactic tones are most prevalent on this one. Woody funky tones are in there also with a mildly fruity edge. There is a vibrancy that is nice also.

Gotta love the RR sours. This is in line with all the great ones. Makes your mouth pucker with a bit of dryness that might detract for some.

08-31-2012 05:50:18 | More by RblWthACoz
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

On-tap at Toronado. 2010 vintage served in a flute.

A - Pours with a quarter-finger of foam that quickly settles to a thin ring of bubbles. The body is a hazed golden orange color.

S - Grape skins, sour plum, white wine, acetic acid, oak. As it warms more sweetness emerges in the form of brett clausenii and graham cracker malt.

T - If you haven't had pluots this will evoke sour grapes and plums complete with skin. In the periphery there is some buttery oak. The finish is heavy in vinous sourness and tannins from both fruits and oak.

M - Some light carbonation tingle, medium body, and a very dry finish. I suspect the added zest on-tap would liven this up a bit, but it was still quite acceptable.

D - Unsurprisingly this is a very good beer, but I'm not certain it's better than Russian River's regular sour lineup. Still, I could crush a few glasses of this one.

12-06-2010 05:50:55 | More by MasterSki
drabmuh

Maryland

Growler, thanks Geist.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a minimal head and low lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is fruity, sweet, lactic, acetic mild.

Beer is clean and bright, effervescent, nice fruitiness, the temptation base comes through nicely. I prefer temptation over this but this is a nice beer overall.

10-25-2012 14:40:51 | More by drabmuh
Slatetank

12-27-2011 19:33:54 | More by Slatetank
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Sampled on tap at the First Annual Stone Sour Fest, July 2007
This beer has a hazy, copper-gold tint to it and it is topped by a wispy, barely there, white head. Green fruit aromatics greet my nostrils as I take my first draught of the aroma; I get flavors of star fruit, not-quite ripe honeydew or perhaps it is a not-ripe cantaloupe aroma. The plum notes become quite noticeable as I dig around in the nose. Actually the fruit character really starts to open up after a little bit; Pluots indeed. I can't seem to shake a sharp, green note here though; perhaps it is contributed by the sour bugs. At times I actually get some notes reminiscent of sweet cherry skins; it is fleeting, but when noticed adds a really nice note to the aroma.

Upfront this beer tastes crisp, tart and dry; it really hits that quaffable character that I like in sour beer. There is a noticeable green fruit note here as well as a touch of vegetal character in the background. The dominant note is a tartness, but I really think (at least it seems so) that the pluots contribute a roundness & extra complexity to the sour notes that are in this beer. As I expected, the fruit character is much more apparent in the nose (which is typical of softer fruits like apricots, peaches and plums). When my palate gets used to the initial flavors, I am able to pick out notes of sourdough (a mix of the funk and some malt notes) at times as well as a grassy grain flavor. Lactic acid is the most apparent acidic quality here, but like I said, there is a persistent, fruity acidity here that is really quite nice.

While the beer is light, it is not austere or bony, there is some body here, which seams wrapped up in the fruit presence / contribution. This is quite complex, though it is not necessarily on the surface and you do have to work at it. I find that I am starting to take Vinnie's artistry for granted; this beer is so well integrated, so well made. I almost don't think about it, b/c despite this being perhaps the most balanced, multi-layered, eminently crafted beer at the festival, I almost felt like it was overlooked.

07-24-2007 04:14:55 | More by Gueuzedude
Halcyondays

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap at Beachwood I,

A: Pours a clear goldenrod with a light white head, good lace.

S: Strong pluot/apricot notes, stone fruit with a lot of lemon.

T: The stone fruit here is superb. The yeast adds more complexity with a hint of spice and fruity esters. Complex, very interesting with a strong undercurrent of lemon and lactic acid.

M: Medium-bodied, medium strong acid, well put together, but very easy to drink.

O: This is an impressive beer. It's delicious and thought provoking. Anyone who finds this on-tap needs to try it, this is what American Wild Ales are all about.

09-06-2011 20:32:36 | More by Halcyondays
GClarkage

4.05/5  rDev -8.8%

04/15/07- Had on tap at the Russian River Brewing Co in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- 14oz tulip pour plus a 2oz sampler via the tap.

Appearance- Clouded off golden colored pour, maybe a bit of a hue towards orange. Smaller less than a 1/4 inch head which thins out soon thereafter. Leaves behind a few nice lace rings.

Smell- Decent amount of barnyard funk and a heavy dose of brett. This will be sour.

Taste- Hmmm, sour, but not the intense sour I was expecting. Seems like more towards a lambic style...maybe even a gueuze. I can taste what could be a light muddled plum flavor, but can't make out the apricot.

Mouthfeel- Very lightly carbonated and flows very easily down my gullet. Lambic style smooth.

Drinkability- Had a cold when I tried this, so I'm either giving it too much due, or not enough. Hoping I see it again in the future so I can give it a better review. As is, another classic example of what an american brewery can do with belgian style brews.

04-19-2007 03:13:11 | More by GClarkage
corby112

4.22/5  rDev -5%

Draft at Monk's Cafe.

Pours a very dark golden orange/copper color with a one finger frothy white head that slowly fades into a thick lasting ring.  Streaks of lace left behind.

Slightly funky aroma with sweet fruit, vinegar, earthy oak and subtle vanilla creaminess.  Lactic funk with earthy barnyard and brett notes.  Under the funk there is a prominent light fruit presence with hits of apple and strawberry.  Slightly floral with some zesty spice and a touch of acetic vinegar.

Medium bodied but on the lighter end with a funky, puckering tart character up front without being very acidic.  This is balanced by a faint malt backbone along with some earthy oak, vanilla, cream and light berries, especially strawberry and cherry.  Lingering acetic finish.

Overall this was pretty good but not one of Russian River's best sours. I've had it once before and remember it being more sour and complex. Perhaps it varies from batch to batch? Either way, this was a nice beer that is worth seeking out.

07-04-2011 23:10:00 | More by corby112
weeare138

4.33/5  rDev -2.5%

On tap at the brewpub...
The waitress couldn't tell me much about this, other than "it's sour".
Appears a hazy light gold with a small white head that fades into a mild cap and a hearty collar. Streaky lacing is left all around the glass.
Smell is of sour cherries, vanilla, light lacto bacilli infection, vinegar, tart lemon, oak, and a hint of plums.
Taste is of cherries, tart fruit(ie. kiwi), strawberry juice, pomegranate, and worcestire sauce.
Mouthfeel is tart, medium bodied, and as dry as can be. Ohhh...forget about it. This was the winner of the night, even after that awesome witbier (Little White Lie). This was just what the doctor ordered to conclude my evening at Russian River. The only thing that would've made it better would've been leaving with one of those kick ass growlers full of this stuff. I wish I had more room for the luggage etc. I was bringing home with me.

05-17-2007 21:05:33 | More by weeare138

drewone

01-20-2013 00:55:13 | More by drewone
BARFLYB

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

On Tap at Monk's Cafe in Philly, what a place.

In the Tulip Compunction looks like a mix of bronze and a lighter blue shaded color. It's very dark in Monk's so that could be way off. a nice set of white bubbles that kinda die off. Smell is very fruity and somewhat acidic. Rockpile yeast and pluots, whatever those are. I do get alot of berry and some underlining malt with the warmth. This reminds me of supplication alot, only different fruit. the oak is big and the smell is lovely. Taste is really really good, I love it, just what Im looking for. berries mixed with pulots, apple skin, and a sourness that's is somewhat stingy and soothing if ya dig. A lot of oak and if i were to guess, pinot flavors from the barrel. Very similar to supplication again. the feel is at about medium and the carbonation is stiff yet not scorching. Very well rounded body You get a bit of everything towards the end. i had two glasses and could of easily drank more of it. Depending on the price of pulots, Vinnie should consider bottling this even if it is a small batch, I could see this doing something nice in a bottle. If you ever see this on tap, do yourself a favor.

06-08-2011 23:19:54 | More by BARFLYB
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.58/5  rDev +3.2%

So excited to try this. Shared at Starr's bday tasting.

A huge thanks to my buddy for the hookup on the sly. What an incredible gesture.

The beer is golden orange and mildly hazy with a soft head of broken bubbles. The aroma is fantastic, offering apricots, stone fruits, wild yeast. Smells like a fantastic Russian River beer. The flavor is distinctly Russian River. Well balanced and fantastic, with apricots and plums. Sour and tart, and very easy to drink. A very anticipated beer that definitely delivered.

08-26-2012 00:08:35 | More by Huhzubendah
John_M

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev -2%

On tap at the brewpub today...

The beer pours a fairly light gold color with great head retention and considerable lacing. The nose is just wild and shows considerable brett influence, with sour funk, vinegar and barnyard aromas, but with considerable underlying plum and cherry as well. The flavor profile generally replicates the nose in this complex, wild ale, and I have to say the interplay of flavors in this beer is just amazing. Along with the noted aroma profile, there's also something of a fresca/sprite flavor, with a hint of hoppy bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to light, and despite all the flavor and impressively long finish, you can tell the alcohol is fairly low in this one. Also, I'm just loving the sweet tart on tart finish in this well crafted beer. Anyway, drinkability is otherwise pretty good, with the alcohol barely more than an afterthought. The sour funk is a bit much for someone like me, but even a confirmed sour hater like myself can tell this is one very fine, well made, easy to appreciate beer.

01-31-2011 04:39:56 | More by John_M
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.65/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into a tulip side by side w/ Cantillon Fou Fune at Beachwood's Sourfest '11. Nice orange color, less dense than the other. Great aroma, the pluots really came out (plum/apricot) and were complimented by a nice bretty aroma that wasn't noticeable in the appearance. Beautiful smelling stuff.

Epicly pungent sourness, yet a clean, dry and refreshing mouthfeel from it, sticks to the teeth, gets that squeaky thing going, like when you eat fresh cheese curds in Wisconsin. Really like sour blonde ales, the light body allows the fruit and sourness to jut out even further, but never being abrasive here. Mild oak component to it, the furthest thing you have to look for (but don't).

11-08-2011 19:41:23 | More by Beerandraiderfan
HopHead84

3.68/5  rDev -17.1%

1/29/2011

On tap at O'Brien's ConsumpTION night. Pours pellucid straw golden with a foamy white cap.

S: Aroma is not unlike Temptation, but with subtle pluot notes. I've never had a pluot, but it smells as I'd expect, which is a mixture of apricot and plum, but more apricot than plum. A little lemon is in there along with oak. Barnyard notes are subtle, and there's a firm lactic presence.

T: Flavor displays a moderate lactic sourness which accompanies notes of apricot, plum, and lemon. Fruit isn't very strong. There's a noticeable buttery oak character. Sourness is pretty clean. No real acidity.

M: Upper light in body. Moderate carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.

Overall: I recall liking the first batch a lot more, but that was a long time ago so it's hard to be sure. Pretty good, not great. Kinda simple and could use more acidity.

01-30-2011 03:45:32 | More by HopHead84
TurdFurgison

4.1/5  rDev -7.7%

I was surprised this came to OH, Relative Brewing rocks.

Clear and light gold colored with just a ring + film for head. Still adequate carbonation, even out of the growler, but no real foam on top.

Nice fruit aromas, light tropical fruits like mango and tangerine, and apparently pluot which I've never heard of before. The internet tells me that it's a hybrid of plum and apricot, so there's your tropical fruits I guess. Funky aromas as well of course.

Nice wild flavors, not over the top tart but more widely approachable, and the fruit integrates nicely. Based on this experience I think I like pluots.

Good mouthfeel given the potential growler deterioration of carb. My small pour dissapeared in no time, extremely glad to have tried it.

12-05-2010 15:23:01 | More by TurdFurgison
jrallen34

3.73/5  rDev -16%

Thanks to Alex for sharing this...A peachy color, decent carbonation considering the circumstances...The aroma is a very acidic grapefruit juice with typical Russian River oaky undertones. Pretty balanced...The taste represents more of the oak than I would like, loses a lot of the citrus and acidity. The citrus isn't really defineable to me, grapefruit like, but I guess that's the unfamiliarity with a plout..The feel reminds of a dry white wine.

Another decent RR sour but nothing significantly different than other beers.

12-07-2010 00:04:35 | More by jrallen34
AgentZero

4.13/5  rDev -7%

Thanks to Relative Brewing for hooking us up with this for my Bachelor Weekend tasting. Best of luck on future collaborations.

A - Golden colored beer with minimal head (we'll blame that on the fact it was growlered). Fairly clear with bubbles up to the top.

S - Fruity smell that I cannot place, this must be the pluot influence on this beer. The barrel aging is pretty subtle, with some oak, and a sweet tartness.

T - Fruity, hint of oranges, grape skins, the taste of sour plums is present, I need to try one of these pluots sometime, as their effect on this beer is nice. Tart with some barrel influence.

M - Crisp, light, if the carbonation was a little more present I imagine this would be quite effervescent.

D - Not highly drinkable given the low ABV, but a really good beer that people should try if they have the opportunity.

12-04-2010 21:56:59 | More by AgentZero
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Before I get to my review, this beer was the first Russian River beer as well as the first American Wild Ale I'd ever had. That was at Dark Lord Day 2008, where my reaction was "Man, that's sour" and I went back to drinking more imperial stout. Since then, I've had a fair number of RR beers and AWAs, and I'm curious to see what I think. Thanks, C-dogg.

Pouring a brilliantly clear light amber with a dense, frothy, off-white head, this beer looks pretty excellent. Some lacing is present as well.

The nose is absolutely fantastic. Clearly, Relative Brewing needs to work on how they fill growlers, 'cos this smells rather incredible. The RR pale sour base is immediately noticeable, with a moderate Temptation-like character with grass, hay and a moderate lactic character. There isn't much barrel character, at least not a wine barrel character. And then there's the fruit. Beautifully expressed, in some ways this reminds me of fresh Fou'foune. Having had a chance to travel through CA farm country earlier this Fall and sample 4-5 different varieties of pluots, this beer brings back memories. Fruity light plums, apricots, a mild floral character, this is pretty close to perfect. A touch of acetone (just a hair) rounds out the nose, and this is one of the few beers where I like it. Brett and funk character are mostly hay-like and part of me wonders if the mild floral character is a blend of both a tropical Brett character and the pluot.

The palate opens rather bracingly sour, surprisingly so, and more than I was expecting. Very clean with a blend of lemon and lactic acids, there's a moderate Bretty leather, dry and mildly musty. This leather character is rather surprising, given the rather pale base beer, but that's Brett for you. A touch of fruity pineapple is also present, along with a nice light-plum fruitiness in the mid-palate. Light in body with moderate carbonation, this beer finishes dry and a sour with a moderate acidic character. Acetone and acetic acids are really low here, and that's not surprising given Vinnie's history brewing sours. The fruit character isn't as strong as I was hoping, but it was still rather excellent, reminding me of a Fou'foune at 2-3 years. Again, that moderate leather character lingers on the finish, working quite well with the fruitiness, a combination that is unique. Some tannins are present too. Just a little slick on the finish as well. While the acidity is high, I can see myself going through a quart of this. Excellent stuff.

Ultimately, I ask myself - how does this compare to the other RR sours? I'd say that while it isn't as good as the better batches of Beatification, Temptation, Supplication or Consecration, it is still fantastic right out of the gate. In that regard, it beats out Temptation, which needs a few months to come into its own. I hope to god Vinnie bottles this, as it is something I'd love to try again.

12-08-2010 03:56:03 | More by DefenCorps
francisweizen

Alaska

4.88/5  rDev +9.9%

On-tap at toronado in a wine glass. notes from the "tion" night last year. I figured I'd finally get around to filling in some of the 10,000 review from notes that I ahve yet to enter into the beeradvocate system. Anyways. This one is a great hazed peach flesh colour with a small off-white cap of foam that actually sticks to the glass pretty well and provides with some visual legs and lacing. Aroma is straight pluot and barnyard funk with a lot of complexity, vinegar, eacetic acid, and wild brett notes. Taste is similar with a very acidic backbone and fruity and very flavorful funkafied front palette. Mouthfeel is very refined and sharp and the drinkability is awesome, but this one is a heartburn burner for sure!

03-21-2008 19:09:40 | More by francisweizen
popery

4.75/5  rDev +7%

04-27-2012 22:24:43 | More by popery
rfgetz

4.4/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a every so lightly hazed and lightly darkened gold color, nice cap of white froth, leaving decent lacing. Scent is mild and at first lightly tart and sour, supported by a nice amount of fruit and freshly malted grain. Taste brings more sour and tart then nose lead me to believe was in here, strong notes of fruit (mango, light berry) and a solid amount of fresh malted grain. Medium bodied, carbonation not over the top, lightly dry. A very nice wild ale from RR, ranks up there with the bottled varities and has a bigger malt profile and a touch more fruit.

06-08-2011 17:31:50 | More by rfgetz
cpetrone84

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Russian River for the T25 party. Pour is a ruby grapefruit red, very hazy and a thin white head. The nose is a bit subtle, the plums are most prominent with some red wine notes, light acetic and lactic behind. The flavor is much more bright, strong plums, red wine and dry oak, assertive dusty brett funk, assertive sourness and light lactic note. Great body, light and airy with great carbonation and a dry finish. Very well balanced, nice sourness to balance the sweetness with a good barrel characteristic.

10-09-2012 17:08:07 | More by cpetrone84