Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Compunction - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: clickpush on 04-01-2007

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

A recent trip to Russian River provided the oppourtunity to try this great brew. I wanted to take some home with me, but growler fills were $50+.

A: Golden / orange pout with nearly no lasting head.
S: Strong nose of sour cherry.
T: Sour taste but smooths out towards the end. A mild, light woodiness. Strong brett characteristics.
M: Sharp feel with high carbonation. This lined my moath and throat with alcohol and taste.
D: A funky sour that packs a punch. Glad to say I have tried it, but I don't see being able to put down more than two in a sitting.

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Golden yellow, slightly cloudy/opaque with a small white ring of small bubbles around the glass.

S: Lactic acid! Tart, acidic nose with some apple and esthery fruitiness. There's also some apparent acetone aroma on here. It's not strong or distracting, but it's there.

T: HooWaah. TART! now, that's a lambic. It's the cleanest, most straight forward lambic I've had that was made in the states. Powerful acidic bite, but then finishes with some slight citrus and apple fruit flavors. No perceivable pluot/plumquot character here. The tartness is outstanding, but for a fruit lambic, I would have liked to taste some fruit.

M: Lively, dry, as a lambic should be.

D: I guess it's drinkable. But, after one or two it may eat through your stomach lining... Still, it's very refreshing on a hot day.

4.15/5  rDev -5.5%

Drank this on tap at DLD.

A golden-orange/apricot color with minimal head. This beer is very sour and TART... Delicious imho, it's tartness takes some getting used to. Very fruity and light and the carbonation is aggressive.

This is one of these beers that when you realize how sour it is, you slow down and sip it, and along the way, you notice different flavors revealing itself as you keep sipping. This isn't just a "sour" beer... it's complexity reveals itself over time.

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at the brewery on 12/5/2010.

The color was a pale amber with a decent off white head.

The aromas are pretty full of citrus along with strong ripe apricot. There is a fairly strong hay funky smell going on that really rounds the aromas.

The taste is amazing. This is a sour, not mouth puckering, lemonny mouth drying sour, but more of a green grape, lemonade sour with slight hay aftertaste. The fruits really come through toward the end evening out the initial sour.

Moderate carbonation in the mouth.

More drinkable than Consecration. A nice smooth easy going sour. Will have more of this really good beer.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Oh, my, goodness... If Vinnie doesn't add this as a regular bottled sour, I will forever miss the day I had Compunction on tap.

Pours a hazy golden color. I can smell the tart citrusy smell before the bartender even sets it down. I'm not sure if that's making the beer look greenish or if this beer has a slight lemon-limy tinge to it. Anyways, it looks pretty.

This has, by far, my favorite aroma of any of the RR sours I've had so far. Lemon and grapefruit and some other weird citrusy fruits are exploding in my nose. I am so ridiculously amped to taste this that I have to literally take a few breaths and calm myself before I can have a sip.

Hallelujah! This monster tastes like someone melted a lemon and a grapefruit warhead and threw them in my face. It's delicious. I have found my new favorite sour, sorry Supplication.

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at Russian River served in a tulip glass, 07/31/12.

Pours a honey orange with little to no head.

Smells similar to Temptation but with some stone fruits, primarily apricot and pluots. Subtle nose and not bursting with fruity smells but you can tell they are there.

An initial chalky (similar to Temptation) mouthfeel, grainy almost. Chardonnay like barrel qualities. Blonde sour, once again tasting similar to Temptation but with apricot flavors.

Very drinkable, thirst quenching, with plenty of carbonation. Has a good sourness level and a fruity bite to go with it.

The pluots are amazing. Please have this available more!

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this beer at Stone's Bistro and Gardens. I wont waste any time and just say I LOVE THIS BEER. Poured golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipated into a nice lace. The nose was fairly sour, and drew me in. For being as sour as it was, I found compunction to be very drinkable. I would love to drink this beer again.

Compunction from Russian River Brewing Company