Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale - Russian River Brewing Company

Toronado 20th Anniversary AleToronado 20th Anniversary Ale

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.43% ABV

Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale is a blend of five different beers:

Belgian style Quadruple aged in Firestone Walker (used) Double Barrel Ale barrels
Belgian style Strong Dark Ale – batch A in red wine barrels
Belgian style Strong Dark Ale – batch B in red wine barrels
Belgian style Pale Ale aged in wine barrels with Brett
Sonambic 100% spontaneously fermented ale – (Used to add acidity to the beer)

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 08-10-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros

JebediahScooter, Jul 19, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle in snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a deep iced tea amber with a pretty substantial light-tan head that faded into a good long-lasting collar.
S: Still a pretty sweet nose, lightly funky but overall very mellow. Picking up some fruit.
T: Apple and cranberry juice dominate with some sour grapefruit in the finish. Muted tasting overall, not bad, just old. Light sourness, green fruit tartness, with hints of apricots and other stone fruits.
M: Very frothy carbonation but a bit of a watery mouthfeel and thin body.
O: Old yes, muted yes, but still a delicious beer. I’d drink this again, but it’s definitely past its prime.

scottfrie, Jan 12, 2013

claaark13, Aug 11, 2012

ygtbsm94, Nov 15, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -20.3%

Reviewed from notes-- still trying to get caught up!

Petesphi sent me this because Vinnie gave him a bottle and Al had already tried it. He posted that he wanted to find a tasting group that wanted it, and we were lucky enough to get it. Shared with several Ba's at my house a few months back.

Dark dark color... like a copper/amber red. It opened with a big pop, but it didn't gush. nice two finger frothy head has remained and leaves amazing sheet of bubbles in the legs and some spots of lace cling behind.
It's acidic. It has a nose like thick dark candied sugar as well as some vinegar and a possible touch of oxidation. This is being opened up at an epic tasting with many whales and this one just seems to fall a bit short of some of the best beers of the night-- and that I've had prior.

I get a weird peppery note on the finish-- it's like dried blackpepper... there is also a little boozy alcohol warmth back there too. Could there be cinnamon here? This is the damndest thing.

There is good carbonation, and yet this comes across as a bit syrupy.

Overall-- I'm glad to be able to try this beer, but I am missing out on the reason for all the hype. I would not go too crazy looking for a bottle in the future!

AleWatcher, Aug 28, 2011

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013

jbuddle, Jan 24, 2013

ChrisPro, Jan 16, 2013

giants24, Feb 13, 2013

BeerThursdays, Jan 07, 2013
3.78/5  rDev -13.9%

1st bottle: David Keene was kind enough to sell our party a bottle at the Toronado 22nd anniversary. $100 split 4 ways wasn't pretty, but at least I got to try it.

3.5 / 4.5 / 4.0 / 5.0 / 1.0 [$100 WTF?]

---

2nd bottle: shared by colonelforbin at ipa247's recent sour tasting. Thanks, Mike!

A: Poured a dark crimson body with substantial off-white head and great retention.

S: Lightly tart cherry, lacto, some vinegar, wood, barnyard funk, tobacco, and leather. I also detected a vinous quality that reminded me of cabernet. A great aroma.

T: A fair amount of sweet [red] vinous presence. Nuanced and balanced flavor like the aroma: lightly tart cherries supported by lactic sourness. Vinegar, brett mustiness and barnyard, leather, tobacco. Neither over-the-top sour nor funky. I was surprised to find a considerable amount of brown sugar in a sweet undercurrent to the beer. Being able to sit down and appreciate this outside of the T-party made me appreciate it much more.

M: Surprisingly clean for a high ABV beer. Just impressed by the engineering, really.

D: It's not worth paying $100 for (in my opinion), but this is one of those beers that made me expand my price point comfort zone, just as Consecration did with its $25 tag. Just the same, this is the poster child for rising prices in beer, and I can't in good faith recommend it for what the prices are for this thing. If you are lucky enough to have a bottle already, though, you are sitting pretty. A great beer.

Arbitrator, Jan 15, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -12.8%

Another old review, from the old notebooks of the past. Pours a dark, reddish brown, with maybe a quarter inch of dirty white foam. Very tart/funky on the nose, with aromas of oak, red wine and maybe vanilla. On the palate, this one has a distinct sourness, along with tart cherries, a light oakiness and dried fruit. Glad I got to try this one, and to have a couple glasses at that.

emmasdad, Jul 13, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

This beer pours from the 750ml bottle with a wispy, ring of a head that sits atop a hazy, amber-brown colored beer. The aroma is a mix of sour aromatics, and major oak. The oak character is quite encompassing and quite complex as far as oak goes; aromas of spicy wood, hot almost whisky like notes, soft buttery wood and touches of vanillin are all quite evident. This aroma would really appeal to those who really love oak. For me though, the aroma is way too one dimensional; I really prefer oak character to serve as a backbone for the malt, hop and fermentation character.

The beer tastes sour up front and thankfully the oak notes are much more in check in the flavor department. Fruit notes of tart plums and fleshy tamarind notes are in evidence and they intermingle with and are wrapped up in the sour character of this beer. This has a really nice level of funk and sourness to it. There is lots of complexity to this brew with additional flavors of cherries (is there some supplication in this blend), tannic woodiness, spicy oak, touches of butterscotch and a hint of vanillin. This has a fullness to the body, that carries the flavors quite well; part of the fullness seems to be from the barrel character (tannins and such providing additional body).

I am much relieved that the oak notes where only part of the overall mix in the flavor of this beer. I really like how this is a nice mix of fruit flavors, oak derived notes and tart funk. In fact the flavor is really well integrated and all the flavors are delivered cleanly to my palate without any muddied / muddled quality.

Gueuzedude, Sep 07, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -11.6%

Ditmier asked me if I was in... I say, "Uhhh... Fuck Yeah!!" We shared this with the boys about a month ago.. reviewed from pretty good notes.

Pours hazy orange.. okay white head flecked with tan yeast globs..

Nose shows a bunch of fruit and funk.. lemony, apricot and lite pear with good sour notes... hints of chardonnay.. Though everything seems really flat and just doesn't gel.

Flavor is brett and some Belgian phenols with a bright tartness.. green apple .. I get some sour cherry with barrel tannins.. more malt presence than I was expecting.. vinous elements let you know it has some woody backbone.. complex I guess.. but seems pretty flimsy.

No alcohol and a surprising body with good everpresent small bubble carbonation.

Wow.. My mind had built this one up waaaay too much. Good.. arguing with great, but in nooo way world class. I know that time can sap a sour's potential, but the Toronado was no where near as good as I was hoping. I will drink my Supplication bottles with Gusto from now on, they are much better than the fabled Toronado 20th (I still wanna try a tap sample :-)

There is nothing wrong really, it is just a pretty well made big boned sour that hides the alcohol well. It is never going to fart rainbows or rewrite Shakespeare... Despite the great chance to try this Whale (probably my top whale to this point), I wish I still had my share of the trade back. Thanks Eric for making this happen, I know you did it for me.

3.5/3.5/4/4/4

JohnGalt1, Oct 15, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -11.2%

I was lucky enough to receive a bottle of this from ughsmash, thank you so much! i saved it to take to a tasting in CA and while it was quite rare it was surprisingly not as amazing as I had hoped. it was red in color but not as dark as Consecration. It smelled a little sour and fruity but nothing too amazing. The flavor was a little complex, cherries, fruit but not much sourness. The alcohol was quite evident. It did remind me slightly of Consecration but I wish I could have had this two years ago when it was first released.

ArrogantB, Sep 22, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.5%

Thanks to mikey711 for sharing this at an epic tasting on 5/29/10. Poured approx. 4oz. from a 750ml bottle into a small snifter.

A: Brown-red-orange blend, not much head but this beer does not stop fizzing.

S: Cherry forward, not medicinal but candy-like and sweet. A little booze still comes through.

T: Tart and funky, leathery, a little raspberry in the backbone. Not as complex as I hoped.

M: Overly carbonated, prickly, dry finish.

D: With so much carbonation and such a high ABV for a sour, this one is not all that drinkable.

Overall, I see a little conundrum with this beer - it's apparent that it can handle age in the carbonation and ABV department, but not country of origin department. American sours just do not hold up like European sours. In my opinion, they almost all taste the same after enough time.

hoppymcgee, Jun 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -10.5%

A - The color is a clear amber with a two finger cream head. Medium lacing slowly cascades down the glass for the duration.

S - Semi dry with big, caramel and molasses yeast quality, funky grass, muted lemon and sweet & tart green apples. The smell is a little too subdued and fades quickly for this to get a higher grade.

T - Begins with some sweet malty caramel, tart lemon and molasses, dry acidic yeast and has some tannin characteristics. The finish has a dry white wine quality with light peppery notes. A bit of chest warming action going on here.

M - medium body but is somewhat viscous, but is saved by a solid carbonation pop at the end.

D - Other than the chest warming, this is fun to drink. It doesn't have any overwhelming or lingering flavors and is super clean and easy to drink.

drewba, Mar 02, 2011