Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.43% ABV

Beer added by: MiScusi on 08-10-2007

Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale is a blend of five different beers:

Belgian style Quadruple aged in Firestone Walker (used) Double Barrel Ale barrels
Belgian style Strong Dark Ale – batch A in red wine barrels
Belgian style Strong Dark Ale – batch B in red wine barrels
Belgian style Pale Ale aged in wine barrels with Brett
Sonambic 100% spontaneously fermented ale – (Used to add acidity to the beer)
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy rust color with a huge ecru head that stuck exceptionally well while leaving sheets and clumps of lace

Smell: The vanilla from the oak jumps right out at you, with all kinds of complexities underneath, led by the Brett horse blanket, sour cherry, green apple, overripe banana and hints of fig and golden raisins

Taste: At the outset, the beer betrays a hint of the sour melange to follow, with initial fruit flavors of apricot, pear, nectarine and green apple on the front end; by mid-palate, the sour cherry and horse blanket sour flavors have taken over, but underneath, if you really look for it, is a sweet, caramel spice cake element along with the vanilla and oak flavors; after the swallow, the flavors harmonize incredibly well, but the sour and apricot elements persist well after everything else has faded

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, exceptionally creamy, with moderate to high carbonation

Drinkability: A masterpiece for those who like sour beers with lots of complexity; sets a standard for other beers of this genre to be measured against

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Russian River TION goblet. Big thanks to Brad for bringing out this long-time want of mine.

Pours a clear amber-red with a small off-white head with pretty good retention. Average lacing on the way down as it makes its way to a collar.

The nose carries some really nice cherry and earth notes with a touch of port and vinous red-wine character in the background. A touch of woodiness to it as well.

The flavor continues down that path with a nice mix of earth, cherry, black currant, and light plum, resulting in something that's reminiscent of some red wines.

Long duration with moderately-heavy acidity and light-to-moderate funk. Medium body with a slight chewiness to it. Carbonation is average. Finish is dry.

Really an excellent beer and its complexity has withstood the test of time. After having this, I'm all the more motivated to seek out T25 this summer. Vinnie can really do some great things with wild ales.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Clear reddish-brown with two fingers of head that lasted the entire hour I sipped on this.

Smell: Tart and very oaky with a backbone of funk. There's a ton of barrel character here; vanilla, toffee and a hint of red wine. Incredible complexity.

Taste & mouthfeel: Sour up-front but not overly so. While it's on the dry side, there's a hint of caramel and vanilla sweetness from the oak along with a strong tannic presence. Fruity flavors (cherry, plum) mix nicely with the oak and funk, making for a beer of incredible depth and balance.

Notes: Enjoyed this one at Toronado's 21st anniversary party. Among all the amazing beers I tried that day this stood out as the best.

Jan 2011 update: While still good, this beer has fallen off quite a bit.

4.05/5  rDev -8.4%

I was lucky enough to get to try this one at the DC Lost Abbey Tasting. Poured into a 5.5 oz. snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with a very thin ring of off white carbonation.

Smell: Like a flanders red or an oude bruin. Vinegar and tart berries with a touch of sweetness.

Taste: Quite tart with red berry sourness and some oaky wine notes. There is a sweetness from the malt along with a mild vinegar note. There is a funk in the finish and it gets more sour as you progress through the sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very aggressive tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a very complex sour. It seems to have held up well, but I've never had it before. Consensus was this one reminded us of consecration.

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Thank you Jer!

A: The pour is amber, maybe copper, in color with a short lived off-white head.

S: Quite a lot going on in the nose here. Grass and oak are prominent up front, but a wine note starts to kick in. Lots of dark fruits and a slight vinegar aroma. A surprising malt and vanilla note to this which creeps in as the beer warms.

T: There is a very big red wine flavor that is one of the parts about this beer that I quite enjoy. Some mild cherries and lemon along with a touch of vinegar providing the tartness. A bit oak character and a mild leathery funk. As I take more sips, more sweet malt such as caramel comes through. Very surprising.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: The elusive T20 has been tried and I must say that I was a bit let down by it. Of the big Russian River rarities, I much prefer Deviation. This is a very complex beer, so perhaps I just don't "get it".

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, amber-colored body with a fizzy, full off-white head.

Smell: Gracious, here's an aroma overflowing with sour Brett notes. Beyond that there's mild caramel malts, oak barrels, cherries, and vanilla.

Taste: Light caramel maltiness along with flavors of vanilla, dried cherries, and maybe even a spritz of lemon juice. Nice mild oaken character to it. Earthy yeastiness. There's definitely plenty of sourness crammed into this beer. The alcohol is very temperate and only provides a little heat to the sour, drying finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Quite nice! Russian River really did a bang-up job of blending.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

From 04/14/12 notes. Huge thanks to Brad for sharing this one, one I never thought I'd get to try.

a - Pours a clear dark amber color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cherries, oak, sour dark fruits, some light funk, toasted malts, bread, fruity malts. Nice and sour and some nice wood to it. Big fan of the nose.

t - Tastes of tart cherries, sour dark fruits, oak, sherry, vanilla, toasted malts, and light funk. Not quite as funky or sour as the nose but still really nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty smooth and creamy.

o - Overall a very good sour from Russian River. I love sour cherries and dark fruits, and this one still has a ton of it. Light funk in the nose which is very nice and easy to drink.A very good beer, can't wait to see the 25th Anniversary Ale coming out.

4.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My 850th review!!! I brought this one to Pre-Ffej to share with everyone, hope everyone enjoyed it.

A - Pours murky brown with a nice one finger tall off white head, quickly dissipating down to a light film and eventually a ring around the edge, leaving small streaks of lace on the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of dark fruits, toffee, caramel, oak, wine grapes, leather, a bit of musty barnyard funk, cherrie skins and some lactic sourness. There is definitely some oxidation there but not as much as I was expecting there to be.

T - Starts off with the cherrie skins and dark fruits quickly being joined by the woody oak, wet leather, toffee and caramel sweetness, wine grapes, light must and funk and some light oxidation. Finish is quite dry, lingering long after the finish.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Sweet feel initially goes quite dry at the end of each sip. Booze only really creeps in once it fully warms up.

O - After hearing how much this had fallen off I was expecting a lot worse so this was a pleasant surprise. Yes it was definitely showing its age but it is hardly as bad as many people make it seem. I wouldn't age it any further if you have one, drink it before it really does go off the cliff.

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow - I never thought I'd be writing this review after striking out so many times with the ISOs. Huge thanks to Alan (Beerloco) for bringing this to the epic sour tasting at Flossmoor. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Two fingers of tan foam with good retention and great lacing. Semi-transparent glowing dark brown-reddish color with tiny bubbles racing to the top. Great looking for such a high ABV brew!

S - Unusual mix of sour and Belgian dark ale! Barnyard funk, caramel, leather, tobacco, vanilla, dark fruits, and plenty of wood. I don't think I've quite encountered a brew like this one - Orval is the only relative (albeit it a distance third cousin or something) that comes to mind.

T - Tons of oakiness and lacto-sour notes, with not quite as much caramel and toffee as in the smell. Absolutely no trace of the alcohol at all. The other notes from the smell are still present in the taste, with minimal drop-off in complexity and richness.

M - It's a little thinner than I expected from a brew over 10%, but there's no hint of alcohol warmth at all so it's not really a problem. Otherwise it's an incredibly soft and smooth brew with mild carbonation.

D - The oakiness gets a little bit fatiguing, although in retrospect it might be because this was the last of the big three sours that we tasted. Even with the incredibly well hidden ABV, it's still a little too strong to be hugely quaff-able. While I would certainly be greedy and drink an entire bottle, I have a feeling that near the end I wouldn't enjoy it to quite as much.

I can tell from the leaner notes on this one that my palate was fading at this point in the evening. I'd love to get another crack at this one to ponder the more intricate subtleties - hopefully I'm make it out west for the Toronado anniversary this year.

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Huge thanks to Brad for sharing this rarity. Beer is amber and hazy with a thin white head, lazy, no lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and acetic with a nice level of lactic and citric acid, nice citrus as well, a little oak.

Beer is light and good, it is sour and tart with a dry finish, a good beer very enjoyable and I'd have it again (yeah right).

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Had a bottle of this at Toronado is SD.

Poured into 2 philosophers glass.

Pours 1/2 finger of off white head. Great retention with splattered lace. Color is a clear ruby hued caramel.

Aroma: Sour cherries, oak, barnyard funk, some leather. A dark sour. Very fine and mouthwatering. Nice and funky.

Taste: Sour cherries and oak right off the top. Nice aging done to this beer. A lot of funky bugs here. I am so impressed with this beer. Slight leather and vinegar flavor, but I really everything I could ask for in a sour. Reminds me a lot of consecration.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, and refreshingly smooth. MEdium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean which is nice for a sour. Pretty much perfect.

Overall, one of the best sours I have had. It reminded me a lot of consecration, but better. Simply stunning. I could have easily drank the entire bottle by myself. I highly recommend this one.

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared by ygtbsm94. One of my most highly coveted wants. I can't thank you enough Brad!

Served in my Cantillon gueuze tumbler - I can't believe I don't have a Russian River glass...

The beer appears a light amber hue, appearing mostly clear. The head is approx. 1/2" and fades to a thin collar within a few moments, leaving a generous amount of lacing in its wake.

The aroma is wonderfully complex, offering red wine, white wine, oak, tart fruits, acidity, dark fruits, vanilla...wow.

The flavor is equally as complex. A heavy and biting acidity confronts the palate immediately. I find this to be more sour than tart. Very tannic, with prominent wine and barrel flavors. Dark fruits soaked in alcohol add warmth in the finish.

Overall, I am so grateful to have tried this. An interesting and intriguing beer. It wasn't among my favorites of the night, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

3.74/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer pours from the 750ml bottle with a wispy, ring of a head that sits atop a hazy, amber-brown colored beer. The aroma is a mix of sour aromatics, and major oak. The oak character is quite encompassing and quite complex as far as oak goes; aromas of spicy wood, hot almost whisky like notes, soft buttery wood and touches of vanillin are all quite evident. This aroma would really appeal to those who really love oak. For me though, the aroma is way too one dimensional; I really prefer oak character to serve as a backbone for the malt, hop and fermentation character.

The beer tastes sour up front and thankfully the oak notes are much more in check in the flavor department. Fruit notes of tart plums and fleshy tamarind notes are in evidence and they intermingle with and are wrapped up in the sour character of this beer. This has a really nice level of funk and sourness to it. There is lots of complexity to this brew with additional flavors of cherries (is there some supplication in this blend), tannic woodiness, spicy oak, touches of butterscotch and a hint of vanillin. This has a fullness to the body, that carries the flavors quite well; part of the fullness seems to be from the barrel character (tannins and such providing additional body).

I am much relieved that the oak notes where only part of the overall mix in the flavor of this beer. I really like how this is a nice mix of fruit flavors, oak derived notes and tart funk. In fact the flavor is really well integrated and all the flavors are delivered cleanly to my palate without any muddied / muddled quality.

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

I bought this bottle at Toronado just after their anniversary party. The arrival of spring seemed a good enough reason to break it out. Pours slightly hazy, but with a head that just won't fade and leaves some nice lacing as well. The beer itself is a reddish orange, and a bit on the dark side. As soon as I opened the bottle, my kitchen was perfumed with the scent of this beer. Wonderful scents of bright fruit, brett sour funkiness, vanilla, cherry, apricot, and minerals. The taste, if anything, is even more complex and delicious. Sour brett flavors and fruit up front, followed by a creamy minerality, sharp citrus and apricot flavors, then cherry and vanilla and cream on the finish as well as a woodiness from the oak. Utterly delicious. Mouthfeel is also great- very creamy, but some minerality and quasi-firm tannins from the oak add interest. Unbelievably drinkable. I can't believe that this is roughly 10.5% abv. Truly an exceptional beer. I bought two bottles and should have bought more. This beer is yet another confirmation of why Russian River is my favorite brewery in the country.

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened last weekend. I was slicing away at the triple coating of ebony wax that adorned the bottle for 5 minutes before I spotted the cage and cork hidden beneath. I untwined the cage as I told a thoroughly engrossing story. I was halfway through a hilarious joke (seriously, one of the best), and midway through untwining the cage, when the cork exploded into the air with an ungodly amount of force. It literally dented the ceiling and startled everyone around me. If I hadn't acted out the story in such a marvelous fashion, my head would have been tilted forward just a little more and I would have lost an eye, or my forehead for that matter. I fumbled around for a glass before I realized the bottle was not going to gush. How strange.

Pours dark crimson with an orange tinge. The head is huge, creamy, and off-white. The beer appears effervescent, the bubbles traveling northward with fervent ferocity, in mimicry of their fallen cork brother.

The aroma opens up with dark cherries, currants, plums, and lots of tannins. I get musty Brett with some lactic character and a moderate amount of acetic acid. The nose is slightly tart with some sweetness. Oak and vanilla are present. The alcohol is noticeable in the nose.

The flavor also opens up with dark fruits: cherries, currants, plums, maybe some ripe grapes. This quickly segues into prominent tannins, oak, and vinegar. There's a lot more vinegar than I got in the nose. The flavor has a low-moderate level of tartness, and alcohol is again noticeable. The finish is dry with a higher level of tartness. Despite what I heard about a recent keg tapped in San Diego, this bottle shows no signs of oxidation.

The beer is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation and a dry, tannic mouthfeel. A truly excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev +1.8%

750 ml (barely) corked and caged bottle. A treat for our last night in California - a trip which had us at both Toronados - donated by the generous man they call Grub!

A russet coloured beer that is equal parts potato peel and cherry skin. The complexion is severely convoluted. I wasn't initially sold on appearance alone but its tapioca coloured head would leave thick graceful strides of lace as it sunk. Lovely.

The aroma drops hints of all things to come: seething soured fruit, nutty toasted malts and lightly charred, highly tannic oak. I noted a small dose of roast butterscotch, which must be diacetyl; so minor, however, it would be overlooked and completely forgotten. Like all Russian River beers to date, this is one smell I wish would reside in my nostrils for days after.

The Toronado 20th was the blend of five Russian River beers and although the label did not specify which, Supplication is a sure bet. I wouldn't be surprised to hear this, too, was aged in pinot noir barrels with cherries. If there is any one dominant taste it must surely be a combination of tannins, oak, and sour cherry.

Of course I wouldn't describe the flavour as being that cut and dry (pun intended, really, it is quite dry and cutting!) A delicious taste of rustic sourdough bread with cranberries and molasses baked in. Even within the cherries themselves it seems there's a few different types. The cherry pits also seem to lend flavour in the resemblance to pecans and almonds.

Despite its categorization as an "American Wild Ale" this blend certainly fell closer to the realm of the Belgian brewing tradition, Flemish conventions in particular. At least part of whatever went in to this blend was barrel aged and contained some combination of Brettanomyces, Pediococcus, and/or Lactobacillus cultures. Their influence imparts an uncanny similarity to the Flemish Red.

The Brettanomyces (which I believe inoculated all five beers in the blend) turn most everything sour and act as a dry, sharp coating to all flavours. This mild acidity is by no means palate numbing but certainly obstructs some taste. Whatever it withdraws from flavour, however, it more than doubles in mouthfeel.

My sample was disappearing at lightning speed and so, it should be no surprise, the 10.4% would hit my head before I even realized the kind of numbers I was dealing with. Even after reading the label with my own eyes it seemed a stretch - this beer hid its strength like a Vegas illusionist.

This is one example where I didn't feel the sum is greater than its parts (even though I don't know exactly what they were). I enjoyed this tremendously but perhaps not as much as I have other Russian River sours (some I believe to be in the blend). I can say confidently, however, that it contains every bit of quality, craftsmanship, and imagination as anything else ever offered by Mr. Cilurzo.

The rarity of Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale has earned it quite a cult appeal in the world of craft beer geeks. Obtaining a bottle was no easy feat and again I must thank Grub for sharing!

750ml Bottle

Pours a very nice light brown color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, sour. The taste is also malty/yeasty, sour. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an awesome brew, very tasty.

3.85/5  rDev -12.9%

Ditmier asked me if I was in... I say, "Uhhh... Fuck Yeah!!" We shared this with the boys about a month ago.. reviewed from pretty good notes.

Pours hazy orange.. okay white head flecked with tan yeast globs..

Nose shows a bunch of fruit and funk.. lemony, apricot and lite pear with good sour notes... hints of chardonnay.. Though everything seems really flat and just doesn't gel.

Flavor is brett and some Belgian phenols with a bright tartness.. green apple .. I get some sour cherry with barrel tannins.. more malt presence than I was expecting.. vinous elements let you know it has some woody backbone.. complex I guess.. but seems pretty flimsy.

No alcohol and a surprising body with good everpresent small bubble carbonation.

Wow.. My mind had built this one up waaaay too much. Good.. arguing with great, but in nooo way world class. I know that time can sap a sour's potential, but the Toronado was no where near as good as I was hoping. I will drink my Supplication bottles with Gusto from now on, they are much better than the fabled Toronado 20th (I still wanna try a tap sample :-)

There is nothing wrong really, it is just a pretty well made big boned sour that hides the alcohol well. It is never going to fart rainbows or rewrite Shakespeare... Despite the great chance to try this Whale (probably my top whale to this point), I wish I still had my share of the trade back. Thanks Eric for making this happen, I know you did it for me.

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

A 750 mL corked and caged bottle shared with Spacecoyote, BankerJoe and others in the parking lot at Weyerbacher Brewing.

A: The ale is a dark red-brown ale, opaque due to the color and some sediment throughout. A finger of head emerged on the pour.

S: The aroma is quite tart, sour with a black cherry undertone that had some vanilla throughout. Thar tartness is much stronger here than in Cable Car.

T: The brett is not afraid to dominate the taste, jabbing at the tastebuds with an intense funk that causes a partial pucker. Dark fruits run rampant, black cherries and raisins, with a surprising amount of lighter fruits, including apricots and touches of grapefruit (from the tartness, not the hops). Green grapes and apples also pop up throughout. The tartness is the lasting memory of this beer.

M: Delicious! The funk and fruitiness are palate-appeasing.

D: Even at an abv over 10%, this beer is a great drink. The tartness doesn't overwhelm the tastebuds but is strong enough to please you. A million thanks to Spacecoyote.

4.52/5  rDev +2.3%

Huge thanks to Mike for busting this out at our epic sour tasting.

Pours a dark hazy caramel brown color with chestnut hazelnut hues and completely opaque with a 1.5 finger yellowish beige
head with great retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Streaks ofsoapy lacing left behind.

Slightly musty aroma with some nice dry brett character and a very prominet vinous oak presence. The red wine notes really come through with lots of dark grape, dark tart Cheryl and berries. Subtle oak and vanilla which is a nice counter to the Funky brett character. It kind of smells and tastes like Supplication with less cherry.

Nice tart puckering medium body that is pretty sour up front with a lot of dry brett character that lingers throughout over a subtle malt backbone and a very prominent vinous red wine presence. Nice oaky tannis and red wine presence with a goos amount of dark berry, sour cherry and grape.

4.65/5  rDev +5.2%

HUGE thanks to my boy grub for swinging a trade for this one. Idea was to bring it back home but the cork was looking sketchy and we didn't think it would survive the plane trip. Enjoyed this one on our last night in Cali.

Pours a cloudy reddish orange, rusty coloured, thick off white head rises up, drops an insane amount of lace on its way down to a thick ring, this one looks real nice. Smell is insane, very sour and funky, lots of fruit, oak, lemony acidity, bit of brown sugar covered toast, cherries, light berries, more sour fruit, super complex. Taste is great as well, lots of wood and cherries, acidic middle, oak, honey sweetness through the middle, then it starts to get really crazy in the end, very acidic, sour finish, tart and dry on the palate, great balance, where at almost 11% WTF? Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, nicely balanced in the mouth and superbly drinkable for such a big sour. Too bad this stuff is so hard to get, its pretty awesome stuff. Thanks again Russ!

4.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to madorb for bringing this 750ml bottle to our tasting...Pours an ugly light brown with ruby highlihts and tons of yeast floaties. A light tan head that is decenly carbonated provides some nice stuff to look at...The aroma is pretty light, most just tart with some oak mixed in, dark fruits on the back...The taste shows off mostly as sour oakiness, its pretty good, amazing that its a blend of five beers, not so much of a wild ale, like an oud bruin in many ways...The feel is nice and easy to drink.

This is a very good beer, but not a top notch wild ale. Gets a lot of pub because of the story and rarity and its good, just not world class. Worth trying IF you can.

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

25.4oz bottle shared by the very generous man that is Chris. Day one of our epic tasting.

A: Crystal clear ruddy brown with crimson highlights. Tan head with exceptional retention and lacework.

S: Oaky and tannic with cherry, currants, cabernet sauvignon barrels (well- expressed). Similar to Consecration but with more oak. Sour but mildly so, mild acidity, mild fruity sweetness. Exceptional

T: Opens up mildly sour with a bit of acidity. Very clean funk with no barnyard/sweaty socks - just clean, sour and acidic. Fruity with sour cherries, currants, red wine character. Some leather. Mild sweetness before an oaky, tannic finish, more so than Consecration. Mildly warming as it goes down

M: Light in body with great carbonation and a great, drying, tannic finish. Probably as tannic as I can handle while thoroughly enjoying myself but hot damn, this is awesome stuff

D: Incredibly drinkable, I could not bring myself to finish this.

**Edit 01 July 2012**
I never thought I'd revisit this. Thanks, Chris D.

The nose is surprisingly Consecration like. Fruity, vinous, sharp and mildly acetic, this bottle seems to have held up well. A touch of oxidation and some alcohol are also noticeable. The palate is simpler, with a tart vinous character, along the lines of a Bon Chien (06 or 07 vintage). Sourness is mostly lactic with a touch of lemony pith bitterness, a rather simple profile IMO. Fruity, vinous and surprisingly potent. Leathery tannins are noticeable. Well-structured, but a little out of balance, particularly with the sourness that's a little too sharp for my liking.

4.68/5  rDev +5.9%

A-pours a dark ruby red with notes of pink and a violent carbonation rising to the top with huge white billowy head that lingers and coats the glass.

S-the nose is juicy with hints of barrel and lots of red wine. a slightly leather brettcomes in with juicy red grapes and very bright nose with hints of sourness and acidity with a slight note of citrusy orange peel in the back.

T-light dry oak with a good juicy red wine presence and well integrated notes of brett. hints of leather, peppery, and juicy red grapes. a random raspberry that is somewhat sour and a subtle acidity in the back.

M-lighter in body and very drinkable with lively carbonation, crisp and rather dry, soft and subtle on the palate.

D-extremely well balanced with awesome flavors of juicy grapes and raspberries with nice brett additions. good acidity and light sourness. everything is balanced nicely and nothing is too pronounced as the juicy flavors and dry finish do this for me.

4.82/5  rDev +9%

Draft, Toronado. Second beer at Toronado -tion night. They were out of little glasses when I was served this beer, so, happily, I got most of a 16 oz shaker glassful of this wonderful beer for $4 (Toronado is awesome). This is a strong sour with a wonderful flavor, one of my favorites so far. There's a strong oak flavor, enjoyable and drying. The aroma is fruity and sour, raisins, peaches, vinegar, funk, the works. The flavor has a calm alcohol burn, perhaps once too hot but now just right. The notes are even punchier on the tongue. There's a significant amount of fruity malt flavor. The tartness is upfront and relatively bracing. There's some good funk floating around. It's a great, big sour with a ton of flavor.

Toronado 20th Anniversary Ale from Russian River Brewing Company