Deviation - Bottleworks 9th Anniversary - Russian River Brewing Company

Deviation - Bottleworks 9th AnniversaryDeviation - Bottleworks 9th Anniversary

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.83% ABV

(Beer added by: mnapier on 04-02-2008)

HopStoopid120, Dec 04, 2011

SourNotes, Nov 14, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +2.8%

draheim, Nov 14, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Glad to finally try this at our whale tasting.

Appearance: The pour is a murky apple cider color with faded straw yellow edges. A small frothy off-white collar fades to nothing and leaves no lace.

Smell: Great sour and Brett notes. A lemon zest and sour peach provide most of the tart notes. Some straw, light malt, and grass notes provide some complement to the fruit. Light Brett funk fills out the wild part of the aroma.

Taste: Without ever reaching too far, there is a pleasant lemon and peach sour flavor that pervades the flavor. There is a soft light malt sweetness up front, some wild funky notes in the middle, and a bit of lactic tartness right at the end.

Mouthfeel: This is quite sour and tart. There are no off flavors or any surge in the sourness; it is simple, pleasant, and sour throughout.

Overall: A great American wild that takes quite a few characteristics of a gueuze.

KickInTheChalice, Oct 30, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle graciously shared by ithinkimasofa (Greg) at a Seattle BA tasting Sept 18, 2011.

Pour: A golden glow to an orange/red body with a small off white head and moderate, yet constant carbonation. No lacing here.

Nose: This smells simply fantastic. I get hints of delicate peach, cherry and lemon zest. The lemony, citrus sourness combined with the earthy brett funk is fantastic on the nose. There is a good amount of lactic sourness here and some refined hints of acidity.

Taste: The slight cherry flavor comes in first for me, followed by the acidity of the lemon and a lingering slight peach undertone. The brett really came through on the end for me and was well integrated into this beer. This isn't near being overly sour and I can imagine that it is due to the aging. This is really a masterpiece of a brew.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the style. I really enjoyed the moderate carbonation and mildly oily, easy drinking feel on the palate.

Overall: Greg, thank you SO much for sharing something I wasn't sure i'd ever get to taste. RR and BW teamed up and created something truly special here. This is a pinnacle beer for me, especially in it's category. Refreshing, delicious and just down right outstanding. Very happy to have had this.

waltersrj, Sep 21, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

Finally cracked this bottle after all this time. I had this on tap way back at Brouwer's Cafe in Seattle with my wife, and never reviewed it. I find the beer in a younger incarnation more lively, but less sour and with less minerality and horseblanket. I like both, but I think the bottle aged version is more complex and interesting. Served in a wineglass, this beers pours a beautiful burnished orange golden with a glow to it. Very little head- just a thin ring around the edge, but still nicely carbonated. Nice sour notes in the nose with a touch of cream, especially up front. Some saltiness develops as well as a late minerality and slight horseblanket. The taste is where it really comes alive. Very tart with a zingy mineral note, some saltiness, a touch of creaminess, and just a hint of funk- no old cheese or "perfumed" hay, but a touch of clean sweat and some earthy notes make this quite pleasant. Very clean, but many layers, and very vibrant. A pleasure. It's electrifying in the mouth and seriously whets the appetite. This has held up wonderfully, as I expected.

Georgiabeer, Sep 19, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Orange-red clear body. Moderate sized off-white head, visible carbonation. No lacing.

S: Lemon and orange acidic notes. A bit of acetic and lactic sourness. Light musty oak.

T: Orange, tangerine, and lemon acidic notes. Delicate must and funk. Well integrated but not particularly memorable.

M: Lively, but well matched carbonation. Strong tartness towards the back end. Refreshingly clean finish.

O: Call me a heretic, I just didn't see what was "special" about this beer. It was tasty, but not particularly unique, memorable or interesting.

callmemickey, Sep 10, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -9.5%

Thank you Steve for this. I honestly didn't know that this had existed until he plopped it down on the counter and said "Lets not look at it, let's crack it open." I was extremely exited to try it to say the least. We split the bottle between 8 of us and poured into small sampling glasses.

Appearance was gold and hazy. Very crisp, thin, but aggressive head. Looks like a beautiful sour

Smell: Very sour funk smell. Actually took my by complete surprise. After a few more sniffs, I could find a citrus smell past the funk.

Taste: I don't like a lot of sours. This was unreal in its flavor and complexity. It really punched hard at first but the acidity tapered off fairly quickly into a very sweet and citrusy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and aggressive on the tastebuds

Overall this beer was phenomenal. I would have never thought that I would have drank this. I am very honored and excited to have this empty bottle now sitting on my shelf.

Lane1, Aug 31, 2011
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks Vinnie...

But really, thanks bill. This is a true rarity.

Pours a nice murky orangish brown. A nice of white head on it as well. Smells tart and sour. Some funky bretty nose coming through.
Tastes fruitty and very acidic. Lots of funk on the tongue. The flavour profile is wonderful.
Highly carbonated. Maybe even a bit too carbonated. The acidity hurts is a bit but pretty darn wonderful.
Overall something i would love to have again.

Urbancaver, Jul 08, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! A MASSIVE tick for my Russian River -tion Quest as I never thought I would get a chance to taste this one! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, sour, and tart. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, sour, tart, and fruit undertones. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is nothing short of excellent! This one really lived up to the hype for as both the aroma and flavor on this one were nothing short of phenomenal. Unfortunately I couldn't taste the rare, but I have decided not to dock any points for this fact. The nice fruit undertones I got in this one helped to blend the beer together and not make it a sour/tart bomb by refreshing the palate slightly between sips. A really well done brew that has held up wquite well over time. Worth the trade weight for sure!

thagr81us, Jun 28, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Opened and consumed on June 7, 2011. For some time, this was my personal white whale. Review #250.

Deviation pours a clear tangelo with a one-finger papaya whip head. Decent lacing.

A bright lemony citric acidity softened with peach and wonderful brettanomyces claussenii pineapple. There’s a suggestion of earthy (and mushroom, specifically) funk, especially on the finish, and some nice oakiness.

As expected, there’s a fruity bouquet of the citrus (lemon), peach, some cherry, and apple, along with an accompanying (restrained) tartness and lactic sourness. (White grape as well. I keep trying to figure out a way to describe the progression of fruit, but it’s difficult.) It’s tamer than I expected in many ways, but pleasantly complex. Some mushroomy funk, though less than might be expected from a beer that’s 3+ years old, and oak. Lightly tannic finish.

Soft mouthfeel, great balance, and just lively enough. The lingering lactic sourness leaves you wanting more.

Russian River is one of my favorite breweries in the US and Deviation doesn't really disappoint, though it doesn't blow me away as much as I expected. Delicious, but I wouldn't hold onto it any longer since the flavors don't pop as much as others discuss; it's a little "flabby," so I suspect this bottle was on the decline.

EDIT: A second bottle in May 2013 was better than this first one. So storage conditions appear to be unsurprisingly important here.

Verecund, Jun 16, 2011