Deviation - Bottleworks 9th Anniversary - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  6.83% ABV

Beer added by: mnapier on 04-02-2008

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

Enjoyed on tap at Russian River 'Tion Night at Toronado. What a treat!

A: Gorgeous, glowing brown. Pours with abundant head receding to light sparkling. Color keeps shifting brown to red to gold and back. Just stunning.

S: Intense sourness, bright cherries, oak.

T: WOW. Simply stunning sour brown with red fruit. Intense complexity, puckering sourness, a little funk, and a crisp finish. I cannot believe this beer is five years old. Tastes nearly as intense and fresh as Toronado 20 did when it was new.

M: Perfect body for the style. Light and carbonated and effervescent.

O: Absolutely phenomenal. I'm honored to have had the opportunity to try it. Thank you, Russian River and Toronado for breaking out an unbelievably rare keg! This just made beer week for me.

4.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jeff for the win.

A: Pours a hazy iced-tea colored burnt amber with a finger of bright white head that faded into a faint collar.
S: Tart notes of funky funk funk with a noticeable resemblance to the beatification this beer is brewed with.
T: The tartness is clean and not vinegary, acidic, or full of an acetone-like harshness. This beer is just clean and smooth earthy funky tartness with a hint of citrus, raspberries and 'fruit'.
M: Ultra dry but ultra drinkable and clean. The carbonation is bubbly and the body is medium.
O: An amazingly smooth and easy to drink sour. No one flavor aspect stands out. Lightly fruity and funky. Thanks again, Jeff.

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%

750ml shared by tlay10, poured into a tulip. This bottle’s four years old at this point. For the curious, it’s a blend of ph1 Beatification, orphan ale, Sonambic and Sanctification that’s bottle conditioned with additional brett.

Burnt orange. Just a bit of cloudiness shades the fingers behind the glass. A half-finger of foamy, sticky head somewhere around off-white leaves spots of lace.

Nice, rounded aroma. Leads with big burnt sugar, followed by a sweet caramel and honey blend with touches of red and green apple as well as pear. Fairly floral. Just a touch of hay, very light hints of vinegar. It just doesn’t get better than this.

In the flavor, subtle caramel quickly gives way to lemon juice and white vinegar. Honey, green apple and the floral hits are next. Just enough burnt sugar sweetness to back up the impressive tart character. Hay and funk come back after the swallow and linger long into the finish. Touch of toffee at the swallow.

The tartness is causing me a bit of heartburn. Soft, massaging carbonation with a very gentle bit of fizz. Watery medium-light body with major, aggressive tartness.

Deviation tastes a lot like ph1 with some malt backbone. It’s the kind of beer you set down after each sip and say, “That’s really, really, really good.”

4.49/5  rDev -2.4%

This one showed up as an incredibly welcome surprise at the CdC release, and thanks innumerable are due to the hugely generous gentlemen who was sharing it. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Clear orange-amber body, almost no head. Acceptable, but nothing special yet.

S: Pure, heady sourness. Grapes, lemons, Sour Patch Kids, and a bit of grassy funk. It's a fairly standard array of aromas, but they're all terrific.

T: Sour, fruity bliss. Sour skittles, lemon/lime citrus, grapefruit juice, white grape, and grassiness. Awesome.

M: Medium body, lightly carbonated. Nice.

O: I rarely mark this category higher than any of the others, but in this case I just have to make an exception. Even though this beer fell just short of being my favorite AWA ever (that honor goes to Isabelle Proximus, which I remember tasting quite similar, just juicier and fruitier), it was still a fantastic experience and one that I've been dreaming of for a long time.

4.36/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Glad to finally try this at our whale tasting.

Appearance: The pour is a murky apple cider color with faded straw yellow edges. A small frothy off-white collar fades to nothing and leaves no lace.

Smell: Great sour and Brett notes. A lemon zest and sour peach provide most of the tart notes. Some straw, light malt, and grass notes provide some complement to the fruit. Light Brett funk fills out the wild part of the aroma.

Taste: Without ever reaching too far, there is a pleasant lemon and peach sour flavor that pervades the flavor. There is a soft light malt sweetness up front, some wild funky notes in the middle, and a bit of lactic tartness right at the end.

Mouthfeel: This is quite sour and tart. There are no off flavors or any surge in the sourness; it is simple, pleasant, and sour throughout.

Overall: A great American wild that takes quite a few characteristics of a gueuze.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle graciously shared by ithinkimasofa (Greg) at a Seattle BA tasting Sept 18, 2011.

Pour: A golden glow to an orange/red body with a small off white head and moderate, yet constant carbonation. No lacing here.

Nose: This smells simply fantastic. I get hints of delicate peach, cherry and lemon zest. The lemony, citrus sourness combined with the earthy brett funk is fantastic on the nose. There is a good amount of lactic sourness here and some refined hints of acidity.

Taste: The slight cherry flavor comes in first for me, followed by the acidity of the lemon and a lingering slight peach undertone. The brett really came through on the end for me and was well integrated into this beer. This isn't near being overly sour and I can imagine that it is due to the aging. This is really a masterpiece of a brew.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the style. I really enjoyed the moderate carbonation and mildly oily, easy drinking feel on the palate.

Overall: Greg, thank you SO much for sharing something I wasn't sure i'd ever get to taste. RR and BW teamed up and created something truly special here. This is a pinnacle beer for me, especially in it's category. Refreshing, delicious and just down right outstanding. Very happy to have had this.

4.85/5  rDev +5.4%

Finally cracked this bottle after all this time. I had this on tap way back at Brouwer's Cafe in Seattle with my wife, and never reviewed it. I find the beer in a younger incarnation more lively, but less sour and with less minerality and horseblanket. I like both, but I think the bottle aged version is more complex and interesting. Served in a wineglass, this beers pours a beautiful burnished orange golden with a glow to it. Very little head- just a thin ring around the edge, but still nicely carbonated. Nice sour notes in the nose with a touch of cream, especially up front. Some saltiness develops as well as a late minerality and slight horseblanket. The taste is where it really comes alive. Very tart with a zingy mineral note, some saltiness, a touch of creaminess, and just a hint of funk- no old cheese or "perfumed" hay, but a touch of clean sweat and some earthy notes make this quite pleasant. Very clean, but many layers, and very vibrant. A pleasure. It's electrifying in the mouth and seriously whets the appetite. This has held up wonderfully, as I expected.

4.05/5  rDev -12%

A: Orange-red clear body. Moderate sized off-white head, visible carbonation. No lacing.

S: Lemon and orange acidic notes. A bit of acetic and lactic sourness. Light musty oak.

T: Orange, tangerine, and lemon acidic notes. Delicate must and funk. Well integrated but not particularly memorable.

M: Lively, but well matched carbonation. Strong tartness towards the back end. Refreshingly clean finish.

O: Call me a heretic, I just didn't see what was "special" about this beer. It was tasty, but not particularly unique, memorable or interesting.

4.15/5  rDev -9.8%

Thank you Steve for this. I honestly didn't know that this had existed until he plopped it down on the counter and said "Lets not look at it, let's crack it open." I was extremely exited to try it to say the least. We split the bottle between 8 of us and poured into small sampling glasses.

Appearance was gold and hazy. Very crisp, thin, but aggressive head. Looks like a beautiful sour

Smell: Very sour funk smell. Actually took my by complete surprise. After a few more sniffs, I could find a citrus smell past the funk.

Taste: I don't like a lot of sours. This was unreal in its flavor and complexity. It really punched hard at first but the acidity tapered off fairly quickly into a very sweet and citrusy flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and aggressive on the tastebuds

Overall this beer was phenomenal. I would have never thought that I would have drank this. I am very honored and excited to have this empty bottle now sitting on my shelf.

4.59/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks Vinnie...

But really, thanks bill. This is a true rarity.

Pours a nice murky orangish brown. A nice of white head on it as well. Smells tart and sour. Some funky bretty nose coming through.
Tastes fruitty and very acidic. Lots of funk on the tongue. The flavour profile is wonderful.
Highly carbonated. Maybe even a bit too carbonated. The acidity hurts is a bit but pretty darn wonderful.
Overall something i would love to have again.

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! A MASSIVE tick for my Russian River -tion Quest as I never thought I would get a chance to taste this one! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, funk, sour, and tart. The flavor was of sweet malt, funk, sour, tart, and fruit undertones. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is nothing short of excellent! This one really lived up to the hype for as both the aroma and flavor on this one were nothing short of phenomenal. Unfortunately I couldn't taste the rare, but I have decided not to dock any points for this fact. The nice fruit undertones I got in this one helped to blend the beer together and not make it a sour/tart bomb by refreshing the palate slightly between sips. A really well done brew that has held up wquite well over time. Worth the trade weight for sure!

4.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Opened and consumed on June 7, 2011. For some time, this was my personal white whale. Review #250.

Deviation pours a clear tangelo with a one-finger papaya whip head. Decent lacing.

A bright lemony citric acidity softened with peach and wonderful brettanomyces claussenii pineapple. There’s a suggestion of earthy (and mushroom, specifically) funk, especially on the finish, and some nice oakiness.

As expected, there’s a fruity bouquet of the citrus (lemon), peach, some cherry, and apple, along with an accompanying (restrained) tartness and lactic sourness. (White grape as well. I keep trying to figure out a way to describe the progression of fruit, but it’s difficult.) It’s tamer than I expected in many ways, but pleasantly complex. Some mushroomy funk, though less than might be expected from a beer that’s 3+ years old, and oak. Lightly tannic finish.

Soft mouthfeel, great balance, and just lively enough. The lingering lactic sourness leaves you wanting more.

Russian River is one of my favorite breweries in the US and Deviation doesn't really disappoint, though it doesn't blow me away as much as I expected. Delicious, but I wouldn't hold onto it any longer since the flavors don't pop as much as others discuss; it's a little "flabby," so I suspect this bottle was on the decline.

EDIT: A second bottle in May 2013 was better than this first one. So storage conditions appear to be unsurprisingly important here.

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to wetpaperbag for this long ago trade. A corked and caged 750 mL bottle.

A: The wild ale, a treasure finally seeing its time in the sun, is a tea-colored orange-brown hybrid. Darker than I was expecting, the ale retains its translucence. Each pour, done sparingly, leads to a finger of eggshell white head. A few stray legs of lace are the only remnants of the head above the beer level.

S: Very tart, the lemon in the nose flicks at me. Lots of berries and fruit, all sweet and strong, contribute. A wooden fullness, lending vanilla, is comforting. Grapes and apples bring a sweet-and-sour combination. Heavy on the citric acidity; no acetic aromas here.

T: Wow, not nearly as tart as I was expecting. The blending has taken rough edges off, replacing them with sweet berries and wood. On second thought, the ale is plenty tart. Further reflection does a body good. The lemony tartness is strikingly acidic, a citric blast night and day from that of hops. Behind the lemon, ripe berries and fleshy core fruits linger. The wood binds everything together, adding vanilla and strength. Sweet and sour grapes and apples provide a tart-free flavors in the later stages of each sip. Tropical fruits, pineapple and coconut, are also present adding more citrus fodder.

M: Flickering tartness registers throughout. The wild flavors are strong and focused, lemony with a strong biscuity finish. A full taste comes through in every sip.

O: As with most good to great sours, I find that the ale fills me up quickly. A great way to get filled up though.

It's taken me more than 2.5 years, but here's review #100

A - pours like the setting sun with a light layer of head and legs for days.

S - bright lemon citric acid, grapes, green apple, oak, and enough funk.

T - Spectacular! The taste is just like the nose, perfectly blended citric acid with grapes, oak, and nice funk.

M/D - Perfect carbonation and mouthfeel. I had to make sure to put my glass down between sips or I just kept bringing it to my lips.

I'm glad I finally decided to open this bottle with my tasting group. It's over 3 years old now, and it's amazing. The best American Wild Ale that I've had to date.

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

i will start by saying i am very bias to Russian River brews...I love them
I opened a bottle of this with a few BA's having a "tion" tasting. we have beatificaion, supplication, depuration, consecration, temptation, and the deviation.

pour was a little more agressive then i thought after the age. i have have this beer a few times and it doesnt seem to have lost any carbonation.
the smell is great! close to beatification. I really think this is my favorite russian river brew. Taste is most close to the beatification of the night, but I taste the PH1 in it.

simply a great beer!

4.87/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours a hazy coppery color and is capped with a relatively impressive (for style) creamy white head.

S - The nose is funky, fruity, and tart. Medicinal brett, pineapple, peach, pear, citrus and white grape are infused with a woody robustness to produce an aroma that is endlessly complex. It is hard to do it justice with words; sublime and delectable don't even begin to cover it.

T - The brew is fantastically delicious. It reminds me of some of the best Cantillons I've had. Earthy, floral and farm-y notes comingle with overripe stone fruit, grapes of several varieties, slight charred oak, lemons, sweat, elderflower, white grapefruit, peach and pear, band-aid, and more. The taste seems to evolve through a multitude of impressions, even within each sip.

M - The feel is bright, softly effervescent, and lighter than medium-bodied, with a lingering tartness that finishes with a mouth-watering sensation.

O - To date, this is the best Russian River offering I've had; it is atop the list of best Wilds I've had, too, along with IP.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to Andre for the bottle!

Pours a cloudy, glowing, orange with a thin white film on top. Mostly just a white collar remains after time. Light lacing.

Sour, acidic, orange, strawberry, peach and oak barrel. Hint of vanilla and mustiness. Wet hay, light barnyard funk. Great complexity. I love the fruit notes.

Orange, lemony-strawberry soaked oak. Earthy hay and light vanilla. Oak tannin. Good level of brett funk and lacto sourness throughout. Quite tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slick and soft. Great mixture of funk and sourness for an American Wild. Carbonation is spot on and the ABV is unnoticeable. Excellent feel.

Overall, this is one of the best American Wilds I have ever had. I found the flavor profile to be somewhat similar to Duck Duck Gueuze, except that the brett presence is more dominant here and the level of complexity is greater. Deviation seems to still be drinking very well at this age, but I get the feeling it may have been just a touch better a year or two ago. Worth seeking out, because it is very well done, but maybe not worth the whales it currently lands. Still, highly recommended.

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

MASSIVE thanks to Tim for getting this for me. Dedicated to my new house.

poured into a Lost Abbey stemmed glass, served at 46 degrees

pours a deep gold with slight hue of brown. light fluffy white head that leaves very light retention. very light lacing.

has that very typical russian river sonambic scent. deep sour flavors combined with a light peach and apricot. a light zest to it.

starts out quite sour and then quickly allows the flavors to really emerge. lots of peach and apricot just dominate. light grape and lemon as background fruit. a light oaky and leathery combination then begin to show themselves. a very fruit finish. a bit of oak in the aftertaste.

perfect carbonation, really highlights the flavors. a hint of dryness. sourness really tingles the mouth, but for a short time so the flavors are never dulled.

this is pure perfection. i am always weary of hype but this is not hype, this is the real deal.

4.97/5  rDev +8%

Shared with a group of friends in December of 2010.

A-pours a hazy dark amber color, almost cider like. the head is fluffy and pure white in color with a fair bit of lace left behind.

S-dusty oak hits the nose with touches of sawdust from the barrel. sour notes present with a perfect integration of brett. a blast of peaches, tart lemon, and red grapes accompanies the aroma with tons of juicy dark fruits. well integrated and balanced with a deep complexity.

T-the tartness is right up front with a fair bit of sourness. juicy red grapes and a nice dry oak comes in. the brett plays a little stronger in the flavor as the juicy red grapes are nicely sour lingering on the back of the palate with a note of tart blackberry. This has an amazing balance and integration of flavors. the brett has become a hint strong dropping it just under perfection but the subtly and balance makes this the best beer I've ever had.

M-the body is medium with a lively carbonatio and a spritzing feel in the back. very tart and dry but not puckering at all.

D-damn near the perfect beer, the balanced and complexity are off the charts with an integration of flavors fit for the gods. the brett is starting to make a move but still holds up just about perfectly.

4.97/5  rDev +8%

Received this in a trade a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to pop it open. I opened this with jh1982 and our friend Forest. It was enjoyed by all, and probably one of my top American Wild Ales. Really glad I got the chance to finally try this one.

The appearance on this is beautiful, and with the amount of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle I was surprised with the clarity of my first and second pour. It is a nice red-amber color with a fluffy white head. It leaves some light lacing down the sides of my glass, with a light leg to follow.

The smell is amazing, and it is an omen to what is about to be the best tasting beer I have ever had. This has some amazingly fruity smells, with green apples, peach, and soured lemon rind. It opens up after a few swirls and some light vinegar and sour candy start showing their presence.

Best tasting beer I have ever had? Its up there, and I was kind of surprised this beer lived up to all of the hype. It is amazingly balanced and complex, with so many intricate flavors showing face throughout. It has a great green apple and citrus flavor that is paired with a nice lactic and framboise like sourness. It has a bit of wood from the barrel with a must and vinegar note once it warms. Rind of both lemons and orange, with a cranberry tartness. Absolutely delicious sour.

It is perfectly balanced between sour and fruity, with a perfect level of bottle conditioning. It is just enough sweet to counteract with the sour, and the wide array of fruit play all over the palate. Like I said earlier, the bottle conditioning is spot on. One of those beers that I truly want on tap at my house 27/7. Could drink this day after day and not get board with it at all.

I would like to thank my trader for supplying this bottle, never really thought I would be able to get my hands on this one. Russian River is truly an amazing brewery.

4.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle shared at a tasting with some other BA's thanks Brian for bringing this one.

A- Nice amber gold appearance pours so nicely into an allagash tulip. Nice small white head with some slight retention.
S- Not super complex on the smell with mostly apple juice, green apples and light wood. Some slight leathery funk but very subtle.
T- Just like the smell but so perfectly balanced with sour sweet juicy apples, grapes, slight red wine vinegar, and a bit of citrus fruit. Perfect amount of sourness not over the top.
M- Very nice balanced sourness not overpowering and dry finish with good carbonation.
D- This was very refreshing and I will definitely look forward to having this one again.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%

*Reviewed from notes*

Shared a bottle with some BAs last night.

Cloudy amber pour with a thin offwhite head. Fruity apple cider aroma. Some leather, hay, barnyard and peaches as well. Flavor is very juicy - grapes, cherries, and apples. Brett funk balance this beer out very nicely. Dry finish with a mouth watering astringency. Well balanced mouthfeel - not too harsh or acidic.

Overall a phenomenal beer.

4.8/5  rDev +4.3%

Great beer, had this at a recent tasting. Thanks buddy!

Pours a nice golden with a silky beige head.

Nose is perfect blend of sour citrus fruits, barnyard funk, wine grapes, oak barrels and sweet yet crisp malts.

Taste was not quite as explosive as the nose, but still perfectly balanced.

Clean, refreshing body. Quite tasty, thanks again for the treat.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

Shared by drabmuh. Served in a snifter.

Pours a golden-amber color with a short white head that sticks around for a bit and leaves some nice lacing on the sides of the glass. Quite bubbly and a bit hazy. The nose is really great with an immediate tart funk coming through along with some dark and stone fruit plus a bit of citrus. A bit of barnyard, but the sourness is more pronounced than the funk. Hints of dark cherries there as well. Mild oak presence.

The taste kicks it up to the next level with some great fruit notes accompanied by a beautiful sourness. Mostly lactic with a bit of acetic acid. Cherries, stone fruits, and black grapes come through. Good funky presence here along with a bit of oak tannin. Really complex and full. Mouthfeel is quite sour with lower levels of carbonation and a great sour, dry finish. Drinkability is incredible. This is certainly one of the best sours I've ever had.

Have had this one several times, and each time it has been the star of the tasting/day. Most recently was a month ago in a sour tasting. Following review based on that:

Dark red-amberish glow, puffy beige head. Temp 3 Brett-barrel softness with additional peach up front, then nectarine. Whole fruit basket here, sniff after sniff, then toss on creamy brett, dusty barn, wheat... Unbelievable complexity, really. Nose is still #1 in beer, not as much as Blauw but the integration in incomparable. Only complaint with whole beer is flavor, at this point a noticeable mid-palate Brett twang, sligtlly off-putting before the juicy fruit-laden finish kicks in. Drank within 12 hrs of T20, Temptation vertical, Beat 2-3, Sanc 3-4, V004, IP... still easily the best American beer with wild yeast.

Deviation - Bottleworks 9th Anniversary from Russian River Brewing Company