Join our email list →

American Wild Ale | 10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,106 | Hads: 4,933
4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

L: Pours a shimmering burgundy with an off white head that barely ever exists and struggles to keep its head above the surface. From above the glass Consecration is plum or even cola in nature. From below it appears to flit between gold and copper. Eye level with Consecration leaves a multihued elixir that starts with a beautiful glassy brown that turns to red with a sliver of fiery orange gleaming at the bottom of the bowl. This might be the most beautiful beer I've ever seen.

S: Ripe cherries and overly ripe currants of the mushy sticky variety. Red wine and mellow wood. A bit of yeast.

T: Sweet and sour cherry mash dribbling with a smidgen of funk and a whole lot of sour punch. The wine and currants really round the sourness into a fruity dryness. Holy heavens above I could drink this every day.

F: Nice carbonation, gives Consecration a lively almost cream mouth feel to start. The longer it sits in your glass the more subdued and slick it becomes.

O: This is a near perfect creation by Russian River. If I could only drink one sour or wine for the rest of my life, this would be it.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Dark burgundy color, with a small fora my white head a very beautiful beer when the light hits it.

S: Dark fruits, cherry, some red wine characteristics and a nice nose of tartness.

T: Oak, dark fruits, red wine characteristics and a very nice tart sourness. Lots going on and this is quite complex.

F: Lighter body and highly carbonated, the high alcohol is well hidden, very easy drinking.

4.24/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 031315

Poured a reddish brown color

Cabernet characters and smells, tartness for sure.

Tasted the sour cherries along with the cabernet, tart up front. Almost like drinking a wine instead of a beer.

Complex tastes, but a well brewed beer!

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Batch 1 bottle at a share. Pours burgundy from the bottle. You get oak, red wine and tartness. The body is amazing with a complex play of woody oak, tart currants and some cherry flavor, dry, tart red wine. Finishes lightly dry making you wan to drink more and more. We had a later batch as well (11/22/13) that had much stronger wine flavors to it. Fantastic beer with age on it.

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Too much Cabernet. Barrel character DEF comes out strong. Maybe time will do justice. But, no heat:l Very cab forward sour worthy of the claim. not my kind of sour though. Regardless, def worth the try. Cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the Pour House in Exton, PA. Poured into a snifter.

L: Pours a deep mahogany color. Thin off-white head with nice lacing.

S: Oak and tartness... citrus... vanilla. Red wine.

T/F: Tart up front, but not a true lip pucker.... more of a sour cherry sensation. Complex and oaky... hints of vanilla and red wine. Gives way to an almost caramel sweetness at the finish and in the aftertaste. Not sure what this beer is but I don't dislike it. In fact... I just may love it. Carbonated and intriguing.

O: What an interesting beer, and I like that in addition to making it sour and exploring the yeast/bacteria mix they also threw in some great flavors and the sweet finish really took me back. It's from Russian River so you know it's going to be well made. Definitely one to be sipped and experienced.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Another awesome Russian river wild ale. Complex tasting ale with a mix of clean tasting, crisp, tart and a light fruity sweetness. Glad i tried this beer. Would look out for in the future.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly cabonated deep reddish brown. Nice oak wine aroma. Taste is nice and tart, but smooth and sweet at the same time. Can really pick up on the oak.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer has a champagne like quality to it. Very effervescent. Black currants come through with a deep tart berry character. Nice sour, but once is enough for me.

2.5/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I think I must have gotten a bad bottle because this tasted like old cork and vinegar. Definitely this bottle has been oxidized and stored improperly in some way (or perhaps sat on a warm loading dock too long)

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle obtained in a trade and poured into a snifter. Pours a slight amber color with minimal head.Nice aromas of cherries and Ruby Port. The taste is very complex with cherries and funk. The flavors are quite interesting. The feel is smooth and somewhat sour. This is a fascinating beer and easy to drink despite the higher ABV. Cheers!

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep red with brown tones in the thicker part of the glass. Surprisingly clear when held to the light. Tan head is nice at the pour, but subsides quickly. Aromas of Cherry, currant, caramelized sugar, raspberry, oak, cabernet, ... flavor is the same but adds just enough malty sweetness, balsamic, leather, tobacco, citrus, earth, vanilla and maybe a touch of cocoa.. not extremely sour, but very complex and drinks like 7% rather than 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is on the med-light side with high carbonation, but coats your tongue with lacto and pedio goodness. Overall I could drink this every day with a steak and be a happy camper. A+

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle pour into a shaker pint glass.

I've been excited about this beer for a couple of months; I bought one one a trip to SF in early September and wanted to let it age a little longer.

The color is nice, a dark amber with a decent sized head. There are definitely cabernet notes to the aroma. The taste is heavily influenced by the cabernet barrels. I get hints of the wine, and there is definitely a note of the wood in there.

I love the idea of a dark sour, and this is stellar in flavor. It is incredibly tangy with just a hint of sweetness. The refermenting in the bottle has made Consecration very effervescent; it's so bubbly it stings my mouth a bit!

Overall, a top notch sour.

3.96/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured out of the bottle into a Belgian style tulip glass. I have been aging this beer in my cellar for 8 months and finally opened this weekend. Pours a deep brown with deep red hues. Smell was very pungent which over powered the taste of the beer....which had some complex layers of currant, oak and napa cab. I have had many sours from russian river and I think this was my least favorite of them all.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown with red and orange hues. Definitely get oak and red wine character on the aroma with currants and some citrus. Oak jumps out on the taste which I like and I'm surprised how prominent the dark fruits are considering this is a year old. Lots of wine flavor with dry finish with lots of oak tannins. The citrus adds brightness and complexity. The alcohol is present in a nice way adding heft and a little edge without ever taking center stage. Mouth feel is medium to full and very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Similar tasting to Supplication, but I think I prefer this one a little more. Maybe it's my imagination, but it's not quite as acidic as Supplication is and therefore I found it to be easier to drink. Still, both are excellent sours.

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark murky brown with a fluffy yet fizzy tan head that dissipates to a thin cap. Delicious rich aromas of oak, wine, raspberries, and vanilla. Lots of oak up front, almost astringent, flavors of berries and cherry with a very tart finish. Fairly viscous and medium bodied. Excellent stuff, only complaint is I wish the astrigency from the oak would be toned down.

4.09/5  rDev -7.3%

It was really a very good sour for me. The wine barrels they used may not be a favorite of mine yet it was a very drinkable brew and was gone before I knew it. At 10% it definitely did not present itself as it was that boozy. I would have another if given the opportunity however I would not seek another out.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

What a sour! Pours dark reddish with head dissipating quickly.. Aromas are out of this world, first sip was outstanding and will never forget.. Kept sipping on this bad boy for awhile and cud never figure out were the 10 ABV is coming from. Excellent beer world class!!

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, served in a wine glass (we were on vacation). Reddish pour with a strong white head that dissipated fast. The cabernet and currents comes through strong on the nose and the flavor. Sweet, its a sipper. This is an awesome offering, but I think the cab/currants came through a little strong. This kind of reminds me of a sweet port - great for an after dinner sip, but nothing I would want with food.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

What I love about the beer is the tart flavor doesn't fall off at the back of the drink. It's a full flavored sour which tells me these guys know what the hell they're doing.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A — Beautiful ruby color. Slight head that quickly drops to lacing, and then to nothing at all.

S — Rich aroma that is distinctly red wine. To be honest, I don't know my wine like I know my beer, but it is definitely what it claims to be.

T — Not too sour, but strong flavors of red wine and dark fruits. Comes together into a very balanced, though complex, flavor. Having said that, it isn't quite my thing. More of a personal palate than anything imperfect or wrong with the beer. My cabernet loving girlfriend absolutely adores this beer.

M — Well carbonated, medium body. Very drinkable.

O — For a lover of red wines and sour beers, I would imagine that this is absolutely incredible. As for myself, I am merely the latter, and as such I do enjoy this, but not as much as some might.

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aromas of tart cherries and sour fruit. The taste follows the nose, very tart but not overpowering. In fact the tartness is perfect for my taste. One of my favorite wild ales.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Deep amber-red color. Very very slight sediment. Foam head dissipates quickly.

Smell - Sour cherries and citrus. Reminds of of red wine.

Taste - Follows the smell.

Feel - Tart, dry. Disguises the high alcohol volume dangerously well.

Overall - excellent sour. If all of them were this good, I would drink that style all the time.

4.07/5  rDev -7.7%

375mL bottle served into an oversized tulip. November 2014 bottle.

Impressive rush of carbonation and head that fizzes and seems as if it will quickly recede, does, but then remains as a quarter finger of thick, light khaki-colored foam. Dark brown color with light amber hues. Fizzy carbonation visible. 4.75

From afar, I perceived some vinegary notes and they're there for sure on the nose, but accompanied by an oaky red wine aroma. Caramelized sugar factors in too. 4

Some vinegary qualities on the flavor too, but light and contained. Light hints of brown sugar and red wine are in the mix. 4

Tart and to some degree sour. Light vinegar and acidity. Drinks with a wine-like quality with a silky body and a dry finish. 4.25

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company