Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

to view more.
Ratings: 4,555 | Reviews: 1,083
4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: Bottle (11.06.14)
Consumed: 5.24.15

A: 4.5 Pours a clear, reddish-brown. The one-inch, light tan head lasts about a minute leaving good lacing.

S: 4.5 Love the aromas coming off this beer. A bit of funk comes in first, but after the beer has a chance to open up for a couple minutes, currents, cherries (with a slightly medicinal aroma), oak, vinegar, and even a bit of chocolate come through.

T: 4.5 Like the nose, there is a really pleasant fruitiness playing off the dark malts and oaky tannins. The flavor is somewhat tart, but what’s really impressive is how the acidity and sweetness go back and forth.

M: 4.75 Perfect carbonation and very clean feeling. The body is rich enough to feel substantial, while the slightly dry finish leaves you wanting another sip.

O: 4.5 Consecration is consistently one of my favorite sours and never disappoints. With all the great flavors and aromas going on, you could really sit and contemplate this beer for a long time; but it’s also so easy drinking, you could just sit back, take it all in, and enjoy. As much as I enjoy the bottles, I think I prefer this beer slightly when on draught.

4.69/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opaque brown/reddish draft pour with off white foam. Sour cherry nose. Red wine and sour cherries with a little funk from yeast. Medium mouthfeel, tongue is bathed in tart funky fruit. This is simply terrific.

4.81/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

By far my favorite lambic. Very sweet and acidic. Caramel in color, lightly carbonated, and very sippable.

Wow. What a fantastic beer. Enjoyed with a salmon salad lunch, and this was by far the star of the show. Immediately, the ruby color had me excited. Normally I am not a fan of sour beers, this was traded to me. Wine was strong on the nose, great smell. Tasted and felt amazing. Absolutely does not drink like 10%, very well crafted. I will always be searching this beer out.

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just outstanding. Bottle dated 11-4-14 poured into HF stem glasses. Smell is red wine dominated, with oak and a hint of sourness making an appearance. Taste is incredible, like a sour, carbonated red wine. I received both this and Supplication together in a trade, and I actually preferred this. My "desert island" sour.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A special occasion beer. Delicious. Wonderful on tap. I think better bottled with age.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Holy shit I passed my thesis defense. This is my celebration beer!

A&S: Murky red, semi lively beer. Off white fizzy head dies right away. Potent aroma including elements of red (and also surprisingly wine) wine, earthy tones, and mild tartness

T&M: Much more tart than I expected, not quite at a puckering level. Some touches of sour tones. Initially it has a winey aftertaste, and then it transforms into more of a malty tone, pretty interesting. On the higher side of medium carbonation and medium body.

Overall: Really solid and very unique. These very winey tones mix in with a tart sourness is pretty unique, other beers are doing this, but not quite in the same way. Pretty short non-descriptive rating of this beer, but honesty it was pretty darn good.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: dark Auburn, very light lacing. S: oak, fresh grapes, some acidity. T: oak, a bit of cab sauv, tart, fresh red grapes, dried currants, a pleasant touch of red wine vinegar, the tartness lingers. F: light mouthfeel, champagne-like carbonation with small tight bubbles.

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

One of my favorite sours. Has a wine flavor

4.63/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am jealous of people who have any stable access to russian river's amazing sours.
Pours a dark ruby red
Smells amazing, dark fruits, subtle red wine, currants
Punches you in the mouth with the puckerness. I can taste the red wine and fruit
Finishes in a way that leaves you salivating for more.
World class stuff right here

3.7/5  rDev -17.8%

One of the top rated sours in the country and I finally got one from my buddy Randy!

A - Rich burgundy color when poured but is a red-tinged brown color in the glass. Slightly cloudy from the yeast with a nice white head but subsides to nothing after a minute or two.

S - The smell is fruity and very complex. It is vinous with the currants and typical cab grape fruit notes. There is some alcohol, some fruit esters, and some soft Belgian character present. There is some sour and some oakiness but the dark fruit character is true.

T - The first sip just explodes with red wine vinegar! The sour makes you pucker from the front to the back of the palate. After the initial sour punch the complexities come out. There is a fruit character more like Cabernet and not as much like the currants. There is the sweetness of the malt, oak, and some Belgian character but it is very subtle in comparison to the strong sour character.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel with light carbonation. Like a sour soda that has fizz initially but dies down and for 10% ABV it is much more like a wine than a Belgian strong ale.

Overall, a very interesting beer. I was not expecting the full on sour, red wine vinegar, shock to my palate when I first cracked this open. It is a unique experience with a distinct sour and then sweet/complex nature. It is also very thin for what the base beer is and very much like a sour wine. I would not recommend this unless you like sours and have a heart for a bolder sour experience. I could see someone liking it but at an "rAvg: 4.5" I was expecting more flavor and less sour.

Glass- Tulip

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Can totally taste the hints of current and cab sauv. Wonderful offering from RR that deserves its rating.

Wow! What a beer.. Had on draft at BLAH, can't wait to do that again, best sour drink I ever had.. Well it's the only one but I am going to hold all sours to this standard.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

This was was SO SOUR, but SO DELICIOUS. It literally made my entire body pucker. The wine comes thorugh nicely and the mouthfeel is on point. I aged mine for about 1.5 years and it drank so smoothly after.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

By far the best sour I've had. Incredible.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Nice clear ruby amber color with a light head and hints of lacing

Smell: Currant, red wine

Taste: Currant, red wine, light fruit, oak

Feel: Light body, good carb, dry finish

Overall: Another amazing brew from Russian River

4.23/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Beachwood BBQ poured into a tulip. Appears reddish brown with a thin cap that is not sticking. Aroma is sour cherries (the currants?), vinegar, barrel notes of oak and grape, plus tobacco and the yeast/bacteria funk. Flavors start with puckering tart cherry, ease into light fruit sweetness, and end with those drying red wine elements. Medium-full bodied, silky texture, active carbonation, and a dry finish. Complex and interesting overall.

It gets no better than this, currently my favorite beer ever.

3.57/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle. Bottled on 08/11/14. Enjoyed 02/22/15. I had heard nothing besides greatness about the Russian River Brewing Company, and with an interest in sours, I knew I had to try Consecration. Ended up scouting this guy out and shelling over $16 for a 375 ml bottle! Damn! The most expensive beer I have ever purchased to date (by far!).

A: Murky/turbid due to being fermented in the bottle. Amber to slightly purple color. Very nicely carbonated. Poured pretty foamy, but the head died off rather quickly.

S: First impression was a very strong alcohol smell followed by wine/currants. Light Cabernet aroma. Surprisingly to me, this beer doesn't pack whole lot of aroma.

T: Currants, oak, and wine were the first flavors I distinguished. You can definitely tell that this is aged in Cabernet barrels. Not very sour compared to other sour beers I have had before. Not overpowering at all. Sweet, but not too much so. Dry funky flavors pull their way though--I'm thinking it's the Brettanomyces. Dry finish. Champagne-like effervescence. Tamarind notes found in the aftertaste.

M: Leaves the tongue with a tannic feel. Must be from the barrel.

O: Overall, this beer is very dry, very oaky, very wine-like, lightly acidic, with a strong alcohol taste. I hate to sound sacrilegious, but this beer really didn't do it for me. It just wasn't what I was looking for. If I really wanted all of those wine flavors, I might as well have gone with wine. I have found a few Belgian sours to be more pleasurable and interesting to me, but it is obvious that many people get very excited about this beer, so I couldn't not recommend it. At this price point though, I think I'll be holding off for a while before reevaluating this interesting creation.

3.84/5  rDev -14.7%

First time tasting a sour. Pours a purple wine color with a little head and plenty of carbonation. Not much lacing, but quite a bit of suds. The odor is champagne like, fruity, lie de vin, farmhouse, yeasty, metallic, wine like. The taste is very crisp, fruity, peach, grapefruit, currants, champagne like, wine, dried fruits and dry sour on the back end.

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Dark brown w red edges. Aromas of crushed cherries and oak. soft balanced palate with long lingering finish.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Lightly medicinal phenols and floral character in aroma.

Flavor is tart and sour, with a dry finish.

4.36/5  rDev -3.1%

375 ml bottle poured into a Belgian style tulip glass

A: Amber color with some light coming through around the edges, lots of carbonation streaming off the bottom, looks pretty thin, no head.

A: Big sour tart aromas up front, getting some of the spice and Cabernet coming through, smells great.

T: Big sour upfront, some spice, tart, funk, definitely picking up the Cabernet, oak, very dry finish, alcohol is well hidden for 10%.

M: Mouthfeel is very dry, watery, not much on the feel.

O: Very good beer, the quality just comes through on this, not as sour as I thought it would be, very dry, alcohol is well hidden, I don't have too much experience with sours but I am hoping to sample more to get a better grasp on them.

A-pours a rusty brown murky color with small tan head a staying very fresh collar thru out
S-dark fruits,tobacco , earthy dank wood notes with red wine tannins
T-oak and tobacco with wine tannins and follows the nose with sour cherries and sour fruit
M-mild tart and sourness with with dark malts fruits
O-delightful sourness in a mild way delicious to sip like a fine wine

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%

Excellent brew from and excellent brewery. Why they are know for their hoppy offerings and not their sours is a travesty!

to view more.