1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,430
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Yet another Russian River beer using Brett. Ugh. I HATE Brett. Of course, the last Russian River beer we drank, also a sour beer, that used Brett was amazing. I hope this one is, too. Sheryl asked me what Brett was. For those of you that don't know, Brettanomyces is a wild yeast strain that is known for having earthy flavors. Think about a barnyard… now lick the ground. That is what that yeast strain is famous for. Some like it… I don't.

Today's beer is aged in red wine barrels, specifically cabernet sauvignon barrels. Not a big wine guy, but know enough about the stuff to recall the flavor of the stuff. Hopefully some of those notes carry over here, too. I like sour beers, and I hope this one delivers. After this bottle, only one more Russian River beer on the list!

In the Glass: It almost looks like Diet Coke in the glass. It is thin, near black, and leaves a very thin white head. No lace to speak of, and the bubbles are so tight that you would think this is soda. I like Diet Coke, so maybe I will like this beer. I actually hope I like this beer, as the typical breadwinners for them aren't that impressive.

Nose: I could smell this as I was pouring it, and all I could smell was sour notes. When smelling the beer itself, it has some dirty/earthy flavors, but I guarantee that is from the yeast. The sour is obvious, but not overwhelming. It smells good. Speaking of smelling good, I REALLY want to start a company making scented candles. They would all smell like beer! Imagine coming home to a house smelling like your favorite IPA! That, or I could just sprinkle hope around the house. Either way!

Flavor: Based on what I was smelling, I didn't expect it to be this sour. But the sourness keeps coming until you swallow. It's a bit too cold, but the sourness is pretty intense. If you don't like sour beers, BEWARE! This is candy tart and leaves a lingering finish that is, with each swallow, just as tart. I like it!!!

I am getting some of those wine barrel notes toward the end. I am sure that some of that are the currants used in the brewing process, but some of those full-bodied characteristics that I expect when drinking a glass of red wine are shining through. It says on the bottle, "4 to 8 months" in regards to the time spent in the barrels. I wonder how the brewmaster decides just how long to age each batch.

Mouthfeel: The first half of the palate is bored, but when the sour flavors start to kick in toward the back of the palate, things begin to get interesting. As this beer is heating up, the sour is starting to become lip sucking sour; almost too much to bear. This is NOT a beer that you will drink more than 1 or 2 of in one sitting. The ABV, coming in at 10.5%, is hidden, so even if you could drink a lot of this, you wouldn't be able to!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste hangs around for a few minutes, and for the first handful of sips, remains quite sour. I would love to give a sip of this to someone that never drinks craft beer just to see his or her reaction. Tom, a buddy from Old Town, is starting to get into craft beer. I bet he would like this offering.

That is two Brett beers in a row that I have enjoyed. Maybe my palate is coming along. Speaking of Brett, I am texting Jazz, a beer nut from Total Wine, and he is sitting at World Of Beer. He goes to ASU and it's close… forgive him. He said someone just turned in an appellation and said her favorite beer was Blue Moon. Ha! I laughed.

Anyway, well done Russian River. You have outdone yourself yet again. We need to plan a trip to California so we can start visiting some of these brewing companies. Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

I approached this beer with eager anticipation and confidence that it wouldn't disappoint. As expected it did not. Consecration pours a deep ruby red with almost blood orange hues and a healthy pink lacing. A depthful aroma forwarns of tartness but better yet contains a rich dark fruitiness and even...what is it,, Tamarind? Hints of vinegar and dried fruit follow. On the tongue the beer is obviously tart, subtly sour, and surprisingly chewy and full. Ever present is oak rounding out dried fruits lactic notes. At times lighter notes of raspberry almost shine through. A beery like vinegar flavor stings at the palate long after the sip is consumed. If one focuses in on the oak it opens up just slightly enough to reveal vanilla and coconut. Vinous. Though a lesser masterpiece than Temptation, Sanctification, Supplication, or Beatification in my opinion, this is a tour de force nonetheless.

4.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to GetMeAnIPA for this one... my first RR sour! Consecration pours a pretty damp and dreary copper-brown color with some very slight ruby-red highlights when held in front of a bright light. The head is a murky beige color, borderline light-tan, and dissipates quickly into thin air leaving behind only a little bit of wet legging. I'll tell you this, it's not much to look at really. Kind of dark and musty looking - I guess it fits the style. I was just expecting something a bit more vibrant. The aroma is heavy fruit; currants, grapes, cherries, mixed berries. Very tart on the nose alone. The aroma makes up for the vibrance that was lost on its appearance. Slight wet, woody smell trailing in the back somewhere, but not much (if any) funk or brett. Just straight up tart and sour fruits and vinegar.

Aaaaand the taste is an explosion on the tongue. It is the aroma in "taste" form. You get hit right up front with a strong acidity and balsamic-like vinegar character. Starts off just a bit sour, then quickly the tartness overcomes every corner of your mouth and becomes nearly pucker-inducing. Grapes, berries, plums, currants, cherries, and even a touch of apricot in the finish. Juicy, juicy, JUICY ass fruits; authentic, quenching, tart, and satisfying. I'm sure there are plenty of fruits and flavors I'm missing, as there are plenty of things I can't quite identify - but the harmony between them is pretty amazing.

About halfway through and even earlier when the beer gets warmer, the wood flavors come out - wet, damp, deep oak. Slightly musty and corky, but still, not much on the funky or barnyard side of the spectrum, which might be a good thing - I don't know if I'd want anything else distracting me from this delicious onslaught of gushing, sour fruits. Vinegar becomes even more prominent at the end in the fruity and sweet aftertaste. Alcohol? What alcohol? This beer is 10% ABV? Are you fucking kidding me? No idea how the alcohol is masked this well, but it is. Watch out, this beer will put you on your ass if you're not careful. Medium bodied, crispy and slightly dry with a heavy load of carbonation.

My first RR wild ale, and hopefully not my last. This was some seriously good shit. So satisfyingly tart, sour, and sweet with a perfect flavor profile of authentic fruits. Insanely drinkable for such a high ABV. Ridiculous.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Batch 001x3.

Reddish brown with a medium-sized tanned/off-white head that leaves a lot of lacings.

The aroma is malty with a noticeable funky and lactic character. Notes of wet wood, mud, grass and tart fruit. A herbal note as well, perhaps anise.

The flavor is full with a nice malty foundation and tart fruit notes. Lovely tart currant flavors coupled with grass. Overall, the flavor development is really pleasant and integrated. The finish is very very dry considering the ABV, and has a light bitterness to it beneath a sour fruitiness.

Full-bodied and smooth with a semi-sticky mouthfeel.

This is a very impressive beer. Considerably sour and no sign of the alcohol, almost hard to believe it's 10%. Good craftsmanship.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Reviewed from notes on 8-21-10. Split 750 mL 4 ways with TCGoalie, zoso1967, and BuckyFresh.

A: Pours a ruby-raspberry red with a white to khaki hued, one finger head. The lacing is excellent, highlighted by clumpy chunks of foamy head. A very sizzling effervescence from the carbonation is pleasing to my eye. A surprised face is staring at me from the good head retention.

S: A sour, yeasty, and cherry aroma combination greets my nostrils. Some hints of banana bread and lemon zest are also evident. This is not a huge aroma, but the Cabernet Sauvignon oak barrel aging is more and more apparent with deeper inhales, and even more so as the beer warms.

T: As soon as Consecration hits my lips, the tartness of the beer explodes onto my palate. So very sour... but an iron and earthy bitterness is ever present, as well. The cherry and cabernet tastes are well blended with the wild yeasts to create a huge and explosive flavor. Every time I take a sip, my eyes just fly open from the tartness of this brew.

M: The sides of my palate are just bombarded with a puckering sourness that quickly spreads to the rest of my mouth. This is a phenomenal, wild, tart attack on my mouth - I love it. A nicely dry finish leaves my palate quite clean.

D: I will certainly seek this out again and be very excited to imbibe it. I did split this four ways, though, and that is about all that my mouth could handle in a sitting. Russian River, wow. Another great brew.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Glowing purple red with a thin layer of light brown head.

The nose gives vanilla,oak,cherries with a slight vinegar smell and a vinous syrah like character.

The taste reveals plums,dried fruit,cranberry,blackberry,a mild alcohol presence and a quick flash of sour.

The carbonation is lively on the tongue and the finish is dry with dark fruit character. Great head retention and nice lacing. THE BURGUNDY OF BEER.

4.13/5  rDev -8.2%

A: Light, almost Red-copper, lightens up to a more golden brown when in direct light. Tried in a snifter

S: Initial sour tones. Replaced with definite oaky wine signatures. Fruity smells interlaced as well. After opening up the richness of the oaky-wine and fruit aromas become more prevalent, blends with the alcohol

T: Sour-sweetness overrides all first flavors and sensations. As is opens up the oak and cabernet remnants become nicely apparent and equalize the sour beginning.
NOTE: Truly my initial impression was shock. The sourness was so strong that I almost fell aghast. Yet, with patience its true oak and cabernet personality began to show itself. Sweeter taste after breathing

Mouthfeel: The lack of strong carbonation is taken over by the sourness and tannins from the oak conditioning. Again, after opening up the richness becomes more apparent, but never surpasses the sour blast. The alcohol did not produce strong warmth

Drinkability: This beer was my first funky American Wild Ale that was conditioned in cabernet oak casks. The sourness was honestly overpowering at first, both through the smell and taste (more so with the taste). However, as the beer opened up the aromas firstly became very exciting and did the beer's conditioning absolute justice. The taste took longer to come around, but as I began to realize the complexity I wanted nothing but more.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A - Slightly hazy dark copper / ruby red color. Fizzy light tan head, rose about 2-3 fingers and receded to a mm or so of froth. Not much lacing.

S - Acidic notes of vinegar and tart cherry. Oak, vanilla, some cabernet infuences as well. The sweetness from the fruits and the barrels mix well with the sourness.

T - Tart and tangy brett flavours dominate the palate up front but. The full spectrum of flavours shows up in the middle, with currants, sour cherry and oak all combining to create a complex flavour profile. The funky/sour flavours return in the finish and linger a little bit in the after taste.

M- Light bodied, lively carbonation. Mouth watering with a quick dry finish. Slight aftertaste.

O - Another RR sour knocked of my list and a great one at that. I like Cabernet wines so I figured I would like this and it came through.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split in Delirium tulips w/ hu5om

A: a deep mahogany color, similar to a flat dr. pepper, no head w/ little-to-no lacing.

S: an extreme sour smell of dark fruits (figs, prunes).

T: bitter dark fruits, an explosion of various flavors with an inkling of dark chocolate, some woody tones.

MF/D: a sizzle of carbonation w/ a lingering heat and a quickly receding bitterness. like drinking a liquid warheads candy. certainly doesn't taste like 10%.

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Deep dark cola brown pour with 1/2" of khaki head on top. Lots of active carbonation in the glass. Aromas of dark Belgian malts exhibiting brown sugar and tobacco accents. Cabernet and black currants combine in a great unity. Woody barrel accents weave in and out as Brett funk kicks in with mild sourness and a puff of alcohol. Deeply complex.

First sip brings semi sweet dark malts with a hint of earthy tobacco moving to dark berry / black currant and lush Cabernet wine flavors. Quite woody overall with oak barrel tannins rushing through. Acidic tones move in with Brett funk as it flows down and puckers with sourness in the mouth. Lingering tones of red wine and currants. Wow, just wow. Simply divine.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a crisp smoothness that runs throughout each sip. Good, steady carbonation throughout. A contemplative sipper of a beer...let it meander it's way across your palate with each sip to get as many as the nuances as possible. Complex, tasty and a masterpiece of the brewing and barrel aging art. Chalk this up to one of my favorite Russian River creations yet!

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company