1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,134 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
IrieJackalope

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent trip out to the RR brewpub in Santa Rosa. $22/bottle, but after trying a few glasses of the stuff at the pub I knew it was well worth the price.
I poured it into my Russian River goblet and was greeted by the tangy smell of Brett and the other wild yeast that Russian river uses to make their sours pack the punch they do. The color is deep, deep red, almost purple. Aromas of sour fruit, currents mainly, waft from the glass. The taste is just as lively and tangy as the smell, perhaps even more so. There's also a good deal of wine flavors here, in addition to the yeast and fruit elements. Surprisingly drinkable for a ten percent beer. This was the beer that made me fall in love with sours, and every time I drink it the moth puckering sensation reminds me of why I will never look at beer the same way again. This is an absolute must for sour fans, and highly, highly recommended for adventurous souls looking to break away from the usual.

03-21-2010 04:49:40 | More by IrieJackalope
Ambiorix

Kentucky

375 ml bottle.

A: Brown pour, ruby highlights, thin, off-white to tan head faded pretty quick but left decent lace.

S: Funky, sour, lactic tang, dark fruit, black currant, cask wood. A huge nose with the promise of great things to taste.

T: Incredibly sour, tangy, oaky. Black currant, dark, bready malt, barnyard, brett bitterness, lacto tanginess, vinous, tobacco leaves.

M: Highly carbonated, satisfying. The carbonation balances the intense sourness well.

D: Incredible. Amazing. Easily rivals anything brewed in Belgium. Brewing brilliance at its finest. I wish it were more widely available.

12-26-2010 16:58:09 | More by Ambiorix
tony223366

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

From my beer journal. Reviewed on October 18, 2011.

A: Really dark brown amber body. Nice head at first, but it quickly went away. Gorgeous looking beer.

S: Really rich aroma. Cherries and dark fruits followed by the distinct tartness. Oak characters interplay throughout.

T: Rich malts turn quickly over to cherries then right to lactic sourness. Finishes earthy and tannic. Really long finish that just works.

M: Medium body with lots of carbonation.

O: Infinitely drinkable. I have absolutely no idea where these ABVs are hiding. Looked down and it was already half gone. Wish it wasn't so expensive because this is one of my favorite beers of all time.

10-20-2011 07:04:43 | More by tony223366
Rollzroyce21

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

2010 vintage, batch unknown; tapped at Hollingshead Deli (Orange, CA) on 7-Jul-10.
Poured into tasting glass.

2012 vintage, Batch #8 uncorked on 9-Jun-12 and again on 13-Sep-12.
375 mL bottle poured into snifter glass.

This was my first sour experience and it tasted like liquid Warheads. Couldn't appreciate it at the time, and in hindsight, probably not the best sour ale to begin my sour journey.

Then revisited almost 2 years later and was so impressed with how good this beer was. Definitely get the sour currants, the grapes from the Cab, the earthy wood element from the barrel. Med bodied with great carbonation. Some heat that's warming and inviting.

Overall, this is the standard grape/wine brown sour that I gauge all others of similar type. This one's nearly flawless. So glad my taste developed the appreciation/love for this.

11-14-2011 14:30:18 | More by Rollzroyce21
phishsihq

Colorado

Batch 007...

Consecration is classified as an American Wild Ale, and the label gives hints of what awaits the lucky drinker. Words like Saccharomyces, Pediococcus, Brettanomyces, and Lactobacillus hover around the words Sour Ale, and the excitement begins to build. Add all that to the fact the beer is aged in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels and you realize you have something pretty special in your glass. Consecration pours a reddish-brown, yet near the edges appears very plum like, with a quickly disappearing head that fizzes almost like soda. Hugely vinous aromas greet the drinker, including notes of vanilla, oak, Cabernet Sauvignon, and earthy hop tones/funk. The pallet erupts in an orgy of flavors, with the initial sourness giving way to darker fruit, citrus, Cabernet notes as well as earthiness (horse blanket) from the Brettanomyces. The fizziness noticed in the pour sticks around for the entire brew, a sign of a huge amount of carbonation that is met with a medium body.

01-26-2012 03:20:58 | More by phishsihq
gonzowestwood

375 ml bottle, batch number 007

A- Dark cherry, deep amber with a small head that leaves quickly

S- Plum, raisin, oak, sour cherry and a touch of booze. Smells like an corked wine in a good way

T- The taste is jaw dropping. Dark fruits, Cherries, Plums, Currants, pipe tobacco, an nice oaky pinot noir with a touch of sour

M- Medium to full with lively carbonation

O- More of a wine then a beer. Must say i like this more then 'Supplication' the taste and smell will blow your hair back.

07-26-2012 15:30:39 | More by gonzowestwood
Gameover170

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

My second sour, this is fantastic!

Smell of cherries, raspberries, currants and spice.

Taste is delicious, fruity, sour but yet can taste the cab in the back of throat.

Mouthful is medium, lightly carbonated.

Overall, really digging sours, and this is at the top of the list of must haves

03-23-2013 00:19:50 | More by Gameover170
alaimoa

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours a deep red with very little head that doesn't linger for more than a few seconds. Definitely has a unique smell of raisin, Cabernet wine, champagne and sour dark fruits like prunes or dates. Initial taste is one of a rolling bubble champagne but complex taste where I really got some of the red wine flavors. Overall very delicious and a fairly heavy hitter for a wild on the alcohol content.

05-26-2013 18:18:52 | More by alaimoa
PeprSprYoFace

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Grabbed some bottles of this from my local supplier La Bodega. Thanks for carrying some sweet stuff in a beer wasteland such as Riverside.

Poured into my Russian River Barrel aged snifter. Pours a nice looking dark brown with a thick tan head that dissapated to about 1/4" and stayed there. Not alot of sticky lacing though.

Smells of alot of bret funk with tart cherries and some oak. Smells like this is gunna be awesome.

Taste is wonderful hands down best sour I have had so far. You can really taste the wine notes from the barrels and the oak and bret mixed with the malts is sublime. Wonderful

Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. Couldn't ask for more.

Drinkability is high and usually I can't drink that many sours in a row but I could drink the entire 750 by myself but I'm being nice and sharing it with a buddy. Glad I bought a couple.

02-19-2009 07:15:16 | More by PeprSprYoFace
rye726

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to our friends at Russian River for their amazing beers to Colorado.

Consecration pours a rich redwood color and holds a silky tan head. Excellent lace and retention.

The nose is quite complex with spicy alcohols, funky farmyard yeast, tart currants, oak, bourbon, vanilla, cabernet grapes, and musty soil.

The taste is a superbly balanced blend of cabernet, ripe grapes, sour currants, oak and an earthy funk.

Body is refreshing yet full and a crisp carbonation enhances the vast variety of flavors. Nice dry finish. I could enjoy this ale any time.

02-27-2009 04:36:26 | More by rye726
ccrida

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

750ml bottle (batch 001X3) poured into my large St. Feullien goblet (I was gonna go with one of the Russian River glasses, but they're all pretty ugly and none of them have the nucleation etching like this one), Consecration is a brilliant ruby with an off-white head that is pretty quick to settle to a thick skim, leaving light lace.

Smell is vinous, tart dark berries, caramel, not overly rich, even at cellar temp, but very nice. The constant crackle keeps it lively and enticing without overwhelming.

Taste is very nice. Immediately it reminds me of Oerbier Special Reserve, probably my favorite beer of all time. Which makes it all the harder for me to overlook that fact that I buy that for few less dollars for an equal volume, and that it comes from drastically further distance from a brewery that ages it for at least an extra year or so before release. Still, value is not a factor in taste, and on that accord there are very few that pale. Like most Flanders style beers, especially the stronger ones, I really wish I'd had this with the massive rib eye au poivre I had earlier, rather then splitting the Shiraz with my wife. Consecration is more overtly fruity (then the De Dolle), and is not that funky, although it's obviously pretty young, but is nevertheless fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium light, a crisp creamy carbontion, with just enough maltiness to keep it from being to thin. Very digestible, and the coating of the tannins on the mouth is pleasant and really ties in the wine barrel aging.

Drinkability is high, as this is about as good as it gets for me taste wise. My only ding is the cost, in that comparable beers in it's class (the aforementioned De Dolle, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien, etc...) are quite a bit less, and they all come from another continent, not a days drive south of me. Still, this is a masterful beer that I'm glad to see will be somewhat regularly available, demanding a high proportion of my beer budget until they ramp up and price down! In fact, the more I contemplate this beer, the more impressed I am, perhaps one of the best I've ever had - again, only the De Dolle being on par. Wow, this beer is just an incredible mind blower. As I worked though it, I had to bump it up to a 5, in spite of the price, because it was just so dang good, in spite of the young age!

Edit - I had to pop an 06 Oerbier Special Reserve to compare with the last glass of the Consecration, these notes are all from the perspective of the De Dolle:

a-much larger head, more lace, duller, murky body
s-much drier, more mineral, bright
t-less complexity, more (very clean) alcohol, less depth, more wood, less tannins. RR is fruitier, DD is earthier, and has less depth.
m-a bit less carbonation but still hanging strong, lighter, drier.
d-good, but I'm shocked to see I prefer the RR in the shootout. The oakiness is a bit much, it hasn't gotten overly funky like I'd hope with the age, and the depth doesn't match the RR. I like a sweeter beer, or more sour, but the aged DD reminds me of the disappointing 05 Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien I had on xmas eve, which was also over oaked and not that sour.

03-08-2009 08:18:34 | More by ccrida
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours from caged and corked 750 ML bottle(Batch 001X2) a clear amber brown with a very spritzy head of foam. When it's spritzy, I know it's not going to last very long and it didn't. The bubbles surfacing to the top are keeping a small island afloat, so to speak. Hehe..the foam reminds me of pixels on a computer screen...

The smell is just as I remember from the samples I had at last year's GABF...Cabernet Sauvignon notes dominate with big notes of vanilla and oak and fruit that *is* currants. I love red currants on buttered toast and the smell here totally reminds me of that.

The taste is deliciously both sweet and tart up front. Maybe a bit more intense than I remember from the 1 oz samples but hey, I love that it is and I love the fact that I now have 25.4 oz, give or take a few as I've just taken a few sips, to take my time with and savour. The foam is now gone but I can still see the lively carbonation throwing up....errr...tossing...err..the bubbles are still making their way to the top nearly smack damn in the center of the glass.
Back to the taste. I'm now getting a pretty big kick from the Brett(sorry, I have a hard time spelling it out) and I'd be amiss if I didn't say there's a fair amount of caramel malt here, hence my first sentance on taste. Gee wiz this is so damn tasty and there's so much going on with the flavours, I can't describe them all properly.

Medium mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation, a plus in my book, it finishes with big sour and Brett notes. Wonderful!

Drinkability? 10%abv and I cannot taste it or feel it during or after the swallow. No warming for me at all but I *know* that when I finish this big bottle, I'll feel that all is right with the world, if that makes any sense. ;^)

Bottom line: A superb! American Wild Ale that I fell in love with from my very first sip. A must try for anyone who favours the style!

Finally..a big Thank You goes out to The Wine Underground in Englewood CO for making this available online!

03-08-2009 18:12:02 | More by Bitterbill
peabody

Kentucky

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours out a dark reddish clear brown with one finger of white suds and lots of lacing.
Smell is just the best. Sour grape and cherry and dewberry and a slight lemon zest. Something in the back like a sweet soad pop. Grape?
Bubbley wine and vinegar sugar in a complex malt.
This one is over the top. Can't tell it's a
10%er. Burst of lemon and dry candy sour green apple candy and a very strong raspberry/grape sourness. The cab and the wood really come through.
Mouthfeel is just perfect. Clean enough and dirty at the last. The aftertaste lasts and lasts.
Drinkablilty is great here. I love this. Perfect.

03-21-2009 23:00:18 | More by peabody
SidVicious619

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured this one into a Tulip Glass that looked like Dark Raspbeery rust with an off white head lacing and some sticky foam. Big fruit nose you wouldn't believe from the currant. notes of tart cherries, esters and red wine. I'm a Gueuze fan so the Sourness hit the spot. Flavors of Sour Cherries, oak, funk and some dry hops is in the background. Feels like a lightly carbonated red wine which made every sip one to remember. Hats off to Russian River!

06-11-2009 05:43:22 | More by SidVicious619
brentk56

Batch 002x01

Appearance: Pours a tawny brown with, dare I say it, currant highlights; the beer opened with an explosive sound and, though I feared a gusher, it poured with a nice head that dissipated rather quickly, leaving the occasional splotch of lace

Smell: Sour balsamic vinegar, toned down with sweeter elements of cherries, currants and a massive quantity of oak and leather

Taste: Starts out sweet but puckery with developing sour fruit flavors of currants, figs, green apples and tart cherries as well as leather, cocoa and loads of horseblanket; after the swallow, the wood really comes through to complement the potpourri of flavor into the long, persistent finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, silky smooth, with a puckering mouthfeel but relatively low carbonation

Drinkability: A stunningly bold achievement; may be the best thing Russian River produces

01-23-2010 20:08:05 | More by brentk56
ptykozoon

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

The cork comes off with a very small pop. I can smell the magic already as it is very pungent. Pours a lovely dark cranberry red, disappointingly however no head on this particular bottle.

Smell is strong, complex and inviting; wine, cherries & other fruits, a dessert sweetness and a touch of oak.

This is probably my favorite sour as of now and arguably my favorite beer. Im getting the aforementioned smells, which all work together just perfectly. Balance is immaculate, with the sweetness outweighing the sour by just a tad. Absolutely unbelievable taste, words can't do justice. Pricing is usually $12 for a small bottle which is quite a bit but I'd pay Vinnie whatever he asks of me. Taste is always the most important category to rate and this deserves no less than a perfect score.

Mouthfeel on this particular bottle is less than exceptional as the carbonation is lackluster, however I don't believe this to be the norm, as usually the corks explode rather nicely. Even without the added benefit of carbonation this brew still feels incredibly solid in the mouthfeel dept. It literally is the perfect density, not to light or to heavy. Aftertaste is godly; which is unbelievable for a sour, notorious to have you running for a glass of water.

Drinkability is off the charts, I'll drink this 10% beer all day anyday. Bravo.

08-20-2010 04:07:29 | More by ptykozoon
eclaycamp

Kansas

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I've had the opportunity to have this on three separate occasions. Once at GABF, and twice at home with some bottles I was able to find while out there. The beer at first is unassuming. It pours a cloudy, hazy, mahogany with a small, tiny head. Then you smell it. Smell is oaked funk. Very sour, with a sufficiently huge aroma. First taste is an explosion on the tongue, with a huge sour note exploding outwards midway through the first taste. Wow. That's really all I can say. Must be tasted to be believed. The standard bearer for sour beers. . Pliny gets all the press but this beer deserves all the accolades - and more. Most assuredly up there with my favorites of all time.

04-08-2011 23:26:18 | More by eclaycamp
ralflord

Thanks Dyan

Oh my fucking god is this a great fucking beer!! Poured into a double bastard glass. The lacing was tight with a smallish head. Beautiful amber color, with a wonderful sour and wine smell.

The taste was amazing. The beer, sour and wine flowed together in perfect balance. I loved the sour aftertaste.

The drinkability was off the charts, even though this is a high alcoholic beer. I could drink this all night.

Amazing beer!

Serving type: growler

01-15-2009 05:14:02 | More by ralflord
francisweizen

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml, corked and caged bottle, batch 1. Consumed 02/06/2009 at the city beer store PTY release. Thanks for sharing, madorb.

Dark raspberry rust with a nice off-white head of clingy foam that lasts and provides the viewer with legs and sheets of lace.

The aromas is somewhat similar to the toronado 20th, however, this is sharper with a definite big fruit nose up front from the currant. Also, the acidity is cleaner and less muddled than the 20th.

The taste is BIG and sour. When I found out that this was 10%abv, I was honestly shocked, as this drinks like a thirt quencher. The flavors are of big fruit, oak, and brett funk with a lovely mid palatte biscuit malt punch, and the faintest dead green dry hop in the background. This drinks like heavenly juice.

The mouthfeelis like lightly carbonated wine, when swished in the mouth extra carbonation is released smoothly hitting every single taste bud in your mouth, and making those buds sing with the joyous flavors of this nectar.

Drinkability is perfect. I can and will drink this one all day, thank god this is a somehwat bigger batch than we usually get for these RR wild ale releases. A few choice Bay Area retailers got up to 20 cases of this stuff, and even though the brewpub itself is almost sold out, there will be a second batch released in a few months....Also, this will be on tap at the Toronado on Tuesday night, and kegs may find their way to other sleect draft account in the bay area as well.

Another masterwork from Vinnie and Co.

Na Zdrowie.

02-08-2009 19:12:16 | More by francisweizen
aforbes10

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at Russian River. Pours dark, but not cloudy, just shimmering and purple to deep red. Almost no head, just a ring of light purple bubbles. Smells of tart cherries, red wine esters, alcohol. Nose is rich and inviting. Taste is supremely delicious. Sour, wine-like fruit flavor...lots of tart cherries, lip smackin'! Chocolate malt lingers beneath, but the feature is the big sourness that's just everywhere. I also get some currants and raspberries in there too. Sourness doesn't decrease much as i drink more, which i've found to be the case with other sours, it just sticks around and makes every sip a great and interesting experience. Drinks like a dream...a fantastic and memorable beer.

02-09-2009 19:12:23 | More by aforbes10
treyrab

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Here was the deal. Jac5084 and I bet that whoever won our last game of racquet ball would bring this beer out. I won so Josh brought this out. Little did we know that this beer would completely blow us into orbit. Poured into two unbranded tulip glasses.

A: This pours a hazy...very hazy...rusty/copper/ruby. This was a gusher. Serve cold or have a glass in hand. As this poured, a 1" bone colored head appeared. The head dropped faster than a girl's dress on prom night and left a thin skim of bone colored head. The carbonation in this beer is unreal, as the beads just flow up the glass.

S: Wowoweewah. The smell is exceptional. Not completely in-your-face, but all the necessary ingredients are there. Tons of Cabernet soaked lemons with a nice Brett and Oak undertone. Cabernet soaked white and red grapes also come through in the nose.

T: This is just unreal. I basically screamed "WOW" as this beer touched my lips. The sweet, Cabernet soaked lemons and ripe red grapes just exploded with juices and flavors. The strange thing about this beer is that it started sweet with sweet grapes and lemon, but then morphed into a dry, Brett-driven monster than finished it through. This beer was unreal and definitely one of the best sours I have ever had.

Overall, this beer was glorious. The mouthfeel was highly carbonated and perfect. The 10ABV was absolutely nowhere to be found. And I am glad I do not live on the West Coast for once, otherwise I would spend my whole life savings on this beer.

02-27-2009 02:57:44 | More by treyrab
ckeegan04

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Dark brown with bright ruby red highlights when held up to light. Almost cola like in appearance. Big, bubbly light brown head and audible fizzing. Head does not last long but does leave pretty good lacing. Lots of bubbles quickly rising to the top.

S - Strong aroma of brandy soaked cherries and raisins. A nice light vinegar aroma lingers underneath as well. Hints of vanilla and oak as well.

T - An excellent array of tastes come at you and the balance is just amazing. Starts off with a nice sour fruitiness with cherries and raisins, much like the aroma. The sour tastes fade to a more vinegar based tartness later in the drink. Throughout there is a nice underlying oakiness with hints of vanilla that provide an excellent balance to the sour/tart tastes throughout. Just an excellent array of flavors that play off each other wonderfully. I'm still new to the world of American Wild's, but this has to be darn near perfection.

M/D - Full bodied with an incredibly lively carbonation. The beer tickles your mouth and throat the whole way down. Ridiculously easy drinking as well.

04-19-2009 01:40:58 | More by ckeegan04
rfgetz

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 002 x 3 from the Northeast Craft Beer Outlet at a rediculously good price...

A- Dark brown with red highlights. Big, whispy carbonated head that dicipates quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- Red wine, oak, tobacco. Slight red wine vinegar acidity note. Slight dark fruit note as well. Amazing.

T- Amazingly complex belnd of sour yet subtle fruit, red wine and oak, hints of vanilla. Nice earthy notes. Slight acidity on the back end. Finishes with a nice red wine taste. Perfect.

M- Medium bodied, perfect carbonation level from the yeast. Excellent smooth, silky wine like finish and aftertaste.

D- Wow, if i was never allowed to drink red wine again and wanted to still experience many of the positives, i would reach for this. The ultimate American Wild Ale experience.

08-17-2009 13:33:21 | More by rfgetz
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Brought back from California wrapped safely in my luggage, cracked open with my bro @LaitueGonflable to celebrate his 500th review on BeerAdvocate.

Pours a dark deep blood red colour, dark grape-juice with a filmy tan head that collapses very quickly. Lots of carbonation swirling up through the depths, which makes the beer look alive, with a nice bead. Looks very heavy in the glass as well, although the carbonation is large-bubbled. Looks very decent.

Big vinous notes on the nose - lots of tannic red wine, tobacco leaf, dark curranty fruits and a hint of musty oak. Slight funk coming off it as well - although the acidity isn't present here, there's a whiff of barnyard and ripe cheese on the nose. Altogether, it's a wonderfully refined nose, sweet subtlety bouncing off rambunctious wildness.

Extremely long and full palate, starting with vinous acidity backed with earthy oak and tannic tobacco leaf. Port like heat seems to well slightly as the palate continues, leaving a warm booze note. Just when you think that's the end, up comes the berry-like currant note flushing its sweet-sour finish like warmed Christmas pudding over the palate. It is ever threatening to burst to extremes, but everything holds everything else together and it just rampages down the middle ground, never veering too far one way or the other. Coupled with this is the complex mouthfeel, that lingers through crewy and ripe at the start, almost touching harsh heat as the alcohol note comes through, before finishing with a cleansing, slightly puckering note. I've possibly never had a beer with a longer and more expressive palate - the fact that long after the beer is gone, there is still a dance of different characters developing is absolutely sublime. The complexity is amazing - the way the palate develops after each sip is absolutely stunning.

This is an absolutely exceptional beer. There's no getting around it. This beer proves why American Wild Ale is a unique style, and why it is such a well-regarded one at that. It also cements in my mind Russian River as an exceptional brewery. The complexity is incredible - I can't believe how much there is going on. Let's just put it bluntly, this is a really, really, really good beer.

02-12-2010 04:15:41 | More by lacqueredmouse
laituegonflable

Australia

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a murky, Hellish red colour, brown mostly but with an ominous red tinge. Modest beige head sinks to a rim at the top. Lace is fairly nice, sticky sheets but not very clingy. Bit of cloud in the body. Nice colour, otherwise fairly impressive.

Lots of character on the nose - mostly sweet, with lots of fruit, berries and currants on there. A very sweet, almost creamy character comes up behind, a bit of caramel sweetness, some light toffee and some light milk chocolate notes. Also on there is funk, a hint of leather, pongy brie, barnyard animal notes. Lots of oak as well, and even some vanilla. Funk is slight - just a nice whisper lingering at the back of the nose, which is not just very nice - it's divine in fact. Superbly complex but balanced, just gives a lot without demanding. Incredible.

Taste is sour all over that. Starts off quite acidic, with a sharp citric twang to it, and the flavour of that continues to the mid without ever going overboard and being puckering, or painful. It's almost like the mid is 'cut off' by the flavour of the currants, which comes through fairly late but just in time it seems to clip off the puckering sourness. Really impressive effect with tart, underripe berries on the front, really seems painful, then a sweet-but-tart currant character and plenty of rich, fruity flavours on the back - prunes and currants and a big brandy alcohol warmth. Hints of oregano and other mixed herbs as well complete a really excellent, interesting palate profile. It gives you all the power of the funk but without the intensity or harshness. A challenging brew, but very, very enjoyable.

Slick and dry on the feel, really. Lots of body but never thick or syrupy, goes down well and although the puckering flavour is so expertly cut off, the sensation is still there, and the mouth feels a little sucked dry at the end. Good for the style though.

An excellent, extremely thirst-quenching, interesting, pleasant, beer. I could go on. An excellent choice to be my #500 review.

02-12-2010 05:04:44 | More by laituegonflable