Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,080 | Hads: 4,745
4.14/5  rDev -5.5%

Its days like this that I wish I had a tulip glass.

Pours like a shaded version of burnt sienna. Head generated quickly resembles that of a Soda, and disappears just as fast. Zero Lacing

Smell blasts scents of pine and berries. Smells like a Spring morning.

Tastes tart, but no overpowering - with a really hard to define flavor profile (sour, bitter, hint of sweet). Aftertaste leaves something to be desired. Mouthfeel lacking.

Very good beer. (450 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -5.5%

My second Wild Ale, first being RR Sanctification, I enjoyed this brew more.

A: Small, bubbly head with little retention. Audible carbonation rose from this transparent redish brown body.

S: Sourness, cider, cherries, oak barrel notes, and that unmistakable funk.

T: Sourness dominates, variety of fruit flavors present. Oak and vanilla become more apparent as the brew warms, definitely a sipper.

M: Medium bodied, great carbonation, coats mouth thoroughly.

O: Better than my first Wild Ale, but I'm starting to think Wild Ale's aren't my thing. (552 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

A-Rusty copper brown. Little pieces of sediment swirling around the glass. Tiny head that disspates quicky. Complex and interesting to look at honestly.

S-Vinegar, oak, sour apples, tart cherries.

T-Immediately sour, tangy, and out right funky. In a good way of course. Vinegar and sour apples show up again in the taste Along with some tart cherries and currants.

M-Medium mouthfeel with expected carbonation for the style, i think. carbonation is tingly and has a little sting to it. the finish is bitter and dry. I found it to be very refreshing.

D-I've only had a handfull of wild ales but this one i enjoyed the most. I could drink this all summer long if i had the access. I wish RR would put these in sixers and ship them over to the third coast. (757 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch 001x4. 750 mL bottle, cage and mushroom cork presentation. Dark brown with blood red highlights in color with a restrained creamy tan head. The head is an anomaly for a sour in my experience, which usually seem to be paltry or enormous, but this one just sits and retention is rock-like in longevity.

Aroma is tart with red and dark fruit - currants, cherries, prunes. An almost candy-like sweetness is there as well, along with wild critters providing some lacto, pedio notes plus a spot of musty funk to round it out. Taste has a nice fruit and malt sweetness with currants and some tart cherry coming out of the woodworks. In congruence with the sweet cherry pie is a load of pedio driven sourness that peaks on the midpalate. A slight funk has accented the dark fruits in this after being cellared a year, reminding me of a new world tip of the hat to old world Flemish red style ales. Tart fruit and earthy finish. Feel is medium with a very delicate and luscious carbonation that again reminds me of some greats such as Rodenbach Grand Cru.

What have I learned here tonight? Like all the other Russian River sours, this one just gets better with age. I have never been a big of a fan of Consecration as most beer geeks have seemed to be, but after tasting this batch 1 some time later I think I may be converted. Really tasty, recommended for cellaring. (1,367 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Shared by Fred82. Merci Fred! (batch 4x2) Brownish red pour with a ring of white foam around my tulip. Aroma is actually quite mild for the style, currants, subtle (winey) oak and sour aromas. Taste is this beer's strength, a well balanced mixture of sweet fruity flavors of the currants and the lemony tartness. Some oak flavor as well but nothing overpowering. Palate is smooth with a nice dry tart finish, I can also get a bit of alcohol heat, which I understand now that I've seen this beer's ABV. Not something I'm used to for the style but quite interesting. (564 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Draft, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: ruby brown and clear, with a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin veil. Very small bubbles; spritzy. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but this is a beer, and from this beer's appearance, I knew it would be good.

Aroma: stone fruit and sour.

Taste: nice and sour. Tart, but not mouth puckering so. Tartness is upfront, which fades to a dry finish at which point the Brett funk arrives. The Brett funk is subdued. I can't detect any of the currants. The beer is wonderfully smooth for being 10% ABV. No alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium.

Overall: this is probably the highest rated beer I've tried. Honestly, I think this beer is overhyped. It is good - very good - but not deserving a BA score of 4.5/5.0. Of the sours I've tried recently, I prefer (in order) Crooked Stave Sentience, Trinity Red Swingline and Boulevard Love Child #3 (cellared 1 year). (929 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance – Pours a dark clear ruby red with a head that quickly disappears, and no lacing.

Smell – Cabernet, oak, and a hint of sourness.

Taste – Sour, oakey cabernet. A little too much sour to properly complement the cabernet, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel – Tart, very lightly carbonated. I’m surprised this is 10% abv. Left a sour aftertaste.

Drinkability – An all around decent sour, but I drank it next to a Cuvee des Jacobins, which a lot of other reviewers did, and I think that was better side by side. (524 characters)

Batch 004x4

The cork pops and dispenses an auburn liquid into my duvel tulip.

Black cherry, cola, damp earth, sweet oak, and sour acidity.

Dark cherry cola kicks things off, then a wave of cigar box, leather and malic acid reminscent of granny smith apples. Oak and a puckering tartness linger on the palate.

This one of those rare sours that displays a substantial level of sourness while still retaining a great deal of complexity. It doesn't just taste like cider vinegar, their is a lot going on here. (509 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured vigorously into my Liefman's Goudenband glass, head quickly dwindles tan head forms thick but fleets me. The carbonation never quits moving, leading me to believe that this beer is still alive. Aromatics are so deep with vinous tones in this case it seems to be currants added to the mix for the super fruitiness. Batch # 004X3 weird stuff that keeps giving off a wonderful nose. Hints of sherry vinaigrette blowing off the rapid bubbling head, mild cider notes with wild funky tones that could only be dreamt about if your not drinking this wild ale...horse blanket barnyard doesn't even do it justice. Flavor hits you with a blast of oak with tart fruits galore seems like currants are the victim once again. This beer dares you to keep drinking it make sure your immune system is up to par it hit's with a very acidic tartness that's probably not healthy for your digestive tract unless your consuming this regularly. If Vinnie just all about vomit acid inducing sour ales I've gone too far, but so far his Damnation was the best American brewed Belgian anything that I've tried thus far. I guess it's a question of do you really like sours? I do...it's so different from your average brew out there this wild fermentation really peaks my interest even if it ends in a sour vinegar lactic pedio WTF? (1,309 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 006. Poured from a slightly chilled bottle into a New Belgium snifter. Very dark ruby-amber pour with low carbonation for a bottle conditioned beer. The head is thin and dissipates quickly. The nose is sharp with tart dark fruit notes like cherries and currants. There is also a grapey, wine-like tone to it.

The beer has a medium body, firm mouthfeel, and a strong sour character. Cherry and currant flavors provide a fleeting sweetness and are quickly overtaken by intense sour oaky flavors. The beer finishes dry and acidic, just like a wine, and leaves you salivating for another sip.

Like all of their sours, this gem from RR is worth seeking out. As good as it is, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Supplication, which for my palate has a nearly perfect balance between sweet and sour. This beer is probably more for fans of intensely sour beers. (862 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

This was the first sour I have tasted and I was surprised with the taste. I bought this beer with huge expectations and I was not disappointed. When I poured into my glass it was a dark brown color with a very thin head, which I was not expecting. Since it is a sour I was expecting a lighter color, because I was picturing a lemon shot or something.

When I smelled this beer it smelled like a floral bouquet. I kept telling my wife to smell it because it smelled so good.

Then when I drank it felt like I was drinking wine and not beer. So I tried it again and I was shocked that this is called a beer.

Overall this is a good beer that s very drinkable even though it is at 10% ABV. If you have friends that are wine drinkers you need to have them try this, they will love it. (781 characters)

Poured into a snifter on 10/4/10

Batch 002x1

Pours a murky shade of brown; it kind of looks like pond water. Once settled in the glass it's more of a ruby hue, similar to grape juice. I was able to get 1/4th inch of loose, bubbly foam. The head dissipated rapidly, eventually leaving a thin collar. No lace at all nor head retention by the end.

Smells plenty sour & very acidic; certainly lactic. Vinous aroma of Cabernet Sauvignon bleed & the currants. To that end there's a musty oak note, as well. A decent Brett funk is buried in the back. Mild overtones of alcohol heat. Warmth brings out the grimier, funky aromas.

A puckering, sour kick is the first flavor to drop; bleeding down the peripheries whilst a dirty, barnyard funk fills in the center. The funk & musty oak barrel flavors become more appreciable with warmth. Dark fruit ester overtones. It's pretty dry, especially toward the finish. The sourness does mellow a tad over time, though not by much.

Basically full bodied; maybe slightly toward toward medium on the overall spectrum. Carbonation is moderate; it's enough to keep things moving without overpowering the sourness. Musty oak & a slow, dry finish. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Drinkability is quite good; definitely an enjoyable sour. I like the progression as it warms with the emergence of more prominent funk notes. I like Supplication a little better, but I wouldn't have any qualms revisiting this one. (1,439 characters)

Batch 4
Appearance - Pours a clear, dark cherry color. No head or lacing.
Smell - Lots of grape and funk.
Taste - Deep tart grape/currant flavor. Intense sourness, lacks some complexity.
Mouthfeel - Light medium-bodied with carbonation on the low end to perhaps medium. Fine bubbles. Very dry.
Drinkability - Quite drinkable and refreshing.
Overall - A very enjoyable sour, though I felt that this one could probably use some time in the bottle and the vinous notes were rather disappointing. I found Supplication to be markedly better,
though I'd like to try this one again with more patience and allow it to warm more (served at cellar temperature; did notice it improved as it warmed beyond that). (701 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks again to Ken for bringing this one to a recent tasting. Poured a clear copper color, topped with a light white head. Aromas of funk, plums, currants, and vinegar. On the palate, this one was light to medium bodied and tart, with flavors of red wine vinegar, currents and wine. (283 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance - Murky reddish-brown with a thick tan head.

Smell - Currant, vinegar, slight oak, a touch of brown sugar, and a bit of apricot or pear.

Taste - Very tart fruit flavors, namely the currants and apples with a bit of the apricot/pear again. Vinegary a bit, but all of it hides the alcohol fairly well. Very, very dry/astringent on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick and dry, a thin but plentiful carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm not a huge sour fan, but I had to try this one. Definitely a pleasant beer, though the tart can be a bit overwhelming at times. If it wasn't $20 a bottle I would probably revisit this. (620 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

A brand new Russian River sour, and one that's high in alcohol. Had some on-tap at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles. On to the beer:

Poured into a tulip, Consecration is a dark red-violet beer with little head retention, leaving no lacing on the glass, but the latter wasn't expected from much. The aroma is a beautiful thing. Sweet vinegar, akin to what you'd find in ketchup or barbecue sauce. Pickel juice. Notes of oak and barrel. Slight underlying sweetness underneath it.

My first impression of the taste was it was very intensely acidic upfront. But what sour isn't acidic? Bits of tartness show through, as do assorted, overripened fruits. There's a long lasting, pleasant aftertaste of vinegar on the palate. The high alcohol presents a faint, but noticable boozy aspect with a sharp pinch towards at the back of the line.

A good sour, but I'm not as big of a fan as everyone else seems to be. But I have had heard several accounts say the bottled version is ten times better than the draft version I sampled Maybe I need to sample the bottle someday for its optimal performance. (1,087 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Thanks to Euel for picking this up while in Cali.

Pours a beautiful dark reddish color with a small tan head. The head soon turns into a thin film which leaves little if any lacing.

The aroma soon fills the air with a mix of musty currants and cherries. The oak also makes it's presence known. A very inviting bouquet to be sure.

Taste follows the smell very closely, however the mustiness somewhat dulls the sharpness of the aroma. Nicely balanced, but not nearly as tart/sour as I had expected. The alcohol is extremely well hidden.

The mouthfeel was somewhat on the thin side, with minimal carbonation. Not the most exciting presence, but acceptable for a beer of this style.

This was one of the more enjoyable sour beers I've had in a while. The oak aging really makes this beer what it is. Worth a try if you can find it at a good price. (847 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Whoa way darker than I thought it would be... a ruddy cherrywood brown color with moderate tan head. I guess it makes sense since this is a kriek-esque brew, but it just surprised me. Smell is tart with some cherries, a bit of funk, some leather. Taste follows suit, a bit tart, but not as tart as some other RRs I've had, with nice cherry flavor that flirts with medicinal flavors (not overpowering thank God). Decent malt to it, a bit of an oak touch on the finish as well. MF was medium-light, dry finish, about normal for a sour. I was pretty surprised that this one was 10%, pretty easy drink. Worth a try, but at $17 a bottle, I find it hard to justify when I can get other fruit lambics that are almost just as good (or just as good) for half the price. Rose de Gambrinus, for example, (I know it's raspberries and not cherries) is every bit as good as this guy, in my opinion. (884 characters)

Date: 06/19/2010
Batch: 03x2
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Poured a ruby red in color, w/ no head, only a few bubbles on the outer edge, that left no lacing. The nose was of tart cherries, currants, funk, spices, and oak. Taste was amazingly tart, w/ notes of sour cherries, black currants, and oak. Mouthfeel was thin, but lush due to great carbonation. Drinkability was tremendous as most wild ales are.

Nice movie beer that I will most likely be drinking again very soon. (494 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Thnx to channan for the bottle. Opened together with papaeugene.
Look: the beer pours a brown-red color with a very small head.
Smell: malts, sour berries, wood, sour apples, grapes and citrus
Taste: Medium sourness, full of fruits like citrus, grapes and currants, oak. Finish is dry and tart
Mouthfeel: A bit too thin body with low-medium carbonation.
Overall: A very nice beer, bit high in the alcohol, but still dangerously drinkable. I prefer the puckering funky sourness of the Belgium wilds though. (505 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a Russian River chalice. Beer was a dark cherry color, with a small creamy tan head.

Aroma was tart fruits, vinegar, red wine and oak. Smells fantastic.

Taste was tart cherries, green apples, light oak and vanilla. Acidic and dry.

Very enjoyable beer that gets better as it warms. Another RR winner. (333 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

$22 750ml bottle batch 001x02. Red-brown color with almost no head yet it feels fizzy in my mouth. The smell is really quite interesting but subtle. Tobacco, chocolate, barrel, some brett, jam. The flavor is tart, sweet, hmmm... good, but not amazing like Deviation or the other RR barrel-aged beers.

Batch 002x02 06/2009

Pretty damn good, life is short, buy this beer.

Batch 002x02 08/2009

Quite good, smell is slightly dung-ish, lip-smacking sour fruits, good

Batch 001x02 09/2009

More tasty than it was fresh, might be worth saving. (541 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 004x02. Consumed on 08/23/2010.

Pours a lusty and hazy ruby red with little to no head, though I poured it cold. Second pour yields a nice, short-lived three-quarter finger head.

Sweet and tangy berries, sour cherries, a muted oakiness, major vinous notes. Fresh and bright aroma. On the palate, Consecration starts with the taste that's left on your fingers after picking blackberries, which is overcome by leathery and funky brett. Nicely blended, wonderful currant presence, and the Cabernet notes come through beautifully, but this vintage is heavy on a tobacco character I find distracting on the finish.

Fairly light, with a dry finish. It's hard to think this is 10% ABV. (689 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours out a deep ruby brown with very little head and no lacing.

Smell is plum, vinegar, date, sour, and musty. I will preface my ratings by mentioning that the dark fruits used in this sour are not my favorite flavors in general.

taste is dates, sour acidity, old basement mustiness, dark fruits really shine through in the flavor, more so than most fruits do in most sours and lambics I have had. Fig and date notes really hold up well and balance the sour.

Mouthfeel is dry with suprisingly high lively carbonation based on the little head.

Very drinkable and refreshing. Strong flavors, but very pleasant and unique flavor profile. I want more! (653 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

Having this one shortly after trying Supplication, I will admit that I was a tad dissappointed with it. Only because Supplication is too amazing to be succeeded by anything.

This one has a similar body to Supplication - reddish brown with some small bubbles constantly bubbling, but a thinner head due to the alcohol. The alcohol also cuts some of that tartness while preserving the oaky, cherry notes. Goes down kind of dry like a champagne.

Realistically, Russian River knocked it out of the park again and they've clearly demonstrated that they dominate not only with IPAs but also sour/wilds. I give the upper hand to Supplication, but try both! (653 characters)

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company