Follow our progress ...

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,124 | Ratings: 5,073
4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Huge thanks to swnicholson for the chance to try this gem. Poured into a tulip. Pours a murky brown with a very active, but thin head. Smell is of ripe fruits- I get prunes, rasberry, and the like. Some sugary alcohol and vinegar as well. Taste is not as sour as I had imagined. Really smooth flavor, actually. Again, some dark fruits, and smooth rich wine flavor. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Some active carbonation in the mouth, but overall very smooth and rich. Not my fave RR, but very good.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 004x4

Picked this one up in Colorado the previous summer and have been waiting patiently to crack it since. It survived its cage almost getting blown off due to elevation change and an accidental freeze in the fridge...let's see what's in the bottle

A - pours a brownish red with a small head with a ton of bubbling carbonation. More of a deep red with shades of brown.

S - smells of vinegar, sour notes, a bit of brett funk...sour smelling overall

T - starts off with sour notes of lemon that pucker and lock up your mouth. The sourness is cut into by acidic vinegar tones which helped bring down the sourness. On the exhale you can taste the sour flavors and a lot of vinous oak-soaked cab notes on the finish...this taste lingered far down the palate, almost like I washed down my drink with some cab. A bit of brett funk and mushroom hung over everything but it was hard to tell exactly when on the palate it came in. Really nice complexity.

M - Really nice carbonation and good body to it

D - This beer showcases to me why RR is considered one of the top, if not the top, wild ale producer in North America. Really nice complexity that makes this stand out from some of the other sours / wilds I have tried. I am going to have to get some more of this one for sure.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark red in color, 1 finger head at the pour but it is gone in an instant. Not even a lacing of bubbles in my glass.

S - Brett yeast is the predominant aroma. Not much else is coming through but the brett is so overpowering nothing should be able to come through. Smells exactly like Supplication, with a hint of currants in the background.

T - Once again, I haven't had many wild beers, so I can't place the tastes as well as most might be able to, but the sour flavor of the wild yeasts is predominant to me. Dark fruits, specifically the currant and some cherry which could be coming from the yeast.

M - Medium bodied, low carbonation, both expected with this beer. Finish is dry and sour with some sweetness from the fruits.

D - Very drinkable, ABV doesn't seem like it's close to 10%. One of the most sour beers I have ever had, but still surprisingly easy to drink and go back for more.

Batch 002x3

Had a sample of this at Night of the Barrels and really liked it, so thanks to msulinski for sending me a bottle.

Pours a dark, red grape-skin color with an off-white head that slowly falls apart into a thin ring around the edges of the glass. Light lacing.

Grapes, vinegar and dark fruits make up the majority of the nose. Somewhat acidic with a light alcohol aroma. Little bit of funk.

The flavor consists of sharp, slightly acidic, tart red grapes, chewy currants, bits of raisin and vanilla. Some warming alcohol and woodiness from the barrels comes through a bit. Nice tartness mixed with a small amount of cherry and plum.

Mouthfeel is carbonated well, maybe a little more than I would like and leads to a little bit of foaminess. Warming alcohol and a bit of mouth puckering tartness.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a big beer at 10% and with 1 year of cellaring it has some sharpness to it. Definitely a sipper, but decently complex and enjoyable to drink.

Overall, this is another winner from Russian River, but maybe not quite on par with Supplication. I remember the sample I had on tap being smoother and a bit fruitier, but that could be due to the fact that this bottle has been aging for about a year. All in all though, this is a tasty beer and one that I hope to have again in the future. Looking forward to trying more Russian River sours.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 001X2 bottle, corked and caged, purchased from Monk's Cafe 4 months ago. The beer is hazy, dark reddish brown with a 1-finger off-white foam that quickly dissipated to a thin ring around the glass. Much darker than I initially expected. The aroma is sour and acidic with a strong raisin character. There's much more dark fruit than I normally get in a wild ale, I think I smell plums and a touch of alcohol also. I like everything about the aroma except the alcohol, maybe it can't be helped due to the high ABV. The taste is not as sour as feared or hoped, but crisply tart. Lots of raisins, plums, some sweet and tart cherries, very very good. More in-your-face than Belgian wild ales, this has more evident alcohol and bolder flavors overall. Medium body but the rich flavors and threat of 10% tempers the drinkability a bit.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Dark caramel color with some red highlights when held to the light, a good inch of foam.

Brett and vinegar on the nose, sweet fruits like raisins, caramel malts, vine, a touch of alcohol, oak, some green apples, nectarine, currants, brown sugar. Quite complex. A slight herbal aroma too.

Big currant and grape flavor, leather, and oak. Quite tart and dry on the tongue. Lemon in the finish. A little better once it warms up. Some bitter citrus flavors in the end, a little nutty and toast in the aftertaste.

A bit thin in the middle, would benefit with some more malt dept.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A - A fluffy head with large bubbles fades quickly. Foggy crimson color with some darker highlights.

S - The aroma has all the complexity of a Belgian sour along with a decent malt nose. The cab sav and currants blend perfectly to add to the complexity.

T - Great interplay of sour and malt characteristics. Tart as a Rodenbach Grand Cru, but leaves you with a sweet aftertaste with still being dry somehow. Tartness and bubbly carbonation reminiscent of champagne. Subtle oak rounds out the flavor.

M/D - Dry and sticky. Fills out the mouth then washes it clean. Overall, an absolutely fantastic beer! Different aspects of this beer seem to contradict one another, but somehow combines to make one intricate beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Pours a ruby-raisin with blood-amber highlights that grows darker towards the bottom of the bottle. Almost a gusher, huge head.

Smell: A definite tartness with raisins, dates, plums, prunes and lots of berries (blackberry, raspberry) and some black currants. Very jammy. The dark berries are the most dominant part. Also a wine cabernet sauvignon element with some oak undertones that gives off noticeable tannins.

Taste: The acidity hits with a serious punch, more so than any other sour I have had*. My tongue still feels the scorch of citric acid the next day. This is a very, very sour beer. The dark berries dominate (blackberry, raspberry) along with raisins, dark sour cherries, dates, plums, prunes, and black currants. The wine element is here as well, definitely cabernet sauvignon / merlot with oaky undertones and tannins. There is absolutely no vinegar element to this beer, and little funk to speak of - though I wish there was some of both. A bit of balsamic vinegar.

Mouthfeel: Light with a champagne-like carbonation.

This is a very good beer, but there is something holding it back from greatness.

Drinkability: The extreme sour does a good job balancing out the high level of dark fruits; I was shocked to see it is 10% as I felt it but didn't taste it.

*NB: Had the newest batch on 4/7/2011, either they grow much more sour with age or the newer bottles are much less sour and flavorful/bold.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

On tap at Capone's on 3/29/09.

A - Clear cola-colored, purple tinted body with one-finger off-white head that retained like a champ for quite a while, then reduced to a thin veil.

S - Nose suggests sour grapes, funky Brett notes, oak tannins, and an astringent, magic marker-esque aspect. Not as over-the-top as I was expecting.

T - Flavor is wine-like, with plenty of oaky/woody notes. While there is no noticeable hop presence, there is tons of funky Brett flavor and sour fruit notes.

M - Medium body with a dry mouthfeel and finish. Warm and slightly astringent on the palate with a mild alcohol sting.

D - Quite drinkable for one of the most coveted American-made sour ales in beer-lure. While this is a Brett-head's dream, I actually found it to be not as harsh as I was anticipating. Really glad to have had the opportunity to get this on tap outside of Cali.

Batch 004x2

Poured a deep garnet with a quick, frothy head that fizzled in mere moments.

Smells of some dark berry juice, lemon spritzer and some fusel alcohol.

Immediate pucker inducing lemon tartness with big juicy berry (having never had a currant, I'll have to assume that is what it is). Quick burst of effervescent fizz that delivers the berry wallop. The tartness and berry break down leaving some soggy wood that is a bit unpleasant.

Overall this is a wonderful wild but I am still becoming familiar with the style. I'm not sure what is up with the finish but the rest of the beer is solid.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm not the ideal drinker for this brew, as Belgian darks aren't a style really up my alley to begin with, nor, for that matter, are black currants. Taken together, along with the healthy dose of souring bacteria and wine barrel treatment, this one is a bit much for me, although it's obviously a well put together brew. The Belgian yeast/phenols still find their way through the mix a bit much for my liking, as well as all that dark fruitiness that the style + the currants add. That said, I can't ding this too much, because, again, it's clearly well done. I actually probably need to procure another one of these soon for a revisit. In any case, if you're willing to pony up the $, I'd say it's worth a runout.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured at backcountry pizza. Smells like straight gummy worms. Weird for the smell of a beer. Delicious taste. Definitely taste the Cab in there. But this is a super acidic beer. It's gives me a heart burn every time I try it and the carbonation is a little to high. Like drinking a soda. I dunno, RR, I think the hype is undeserved.

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%

A- Pours dark brown with a big, fizzy, tan head made up of large bubbles.

S- Delicious dark fruit, the currants are really noticeable. Tartness for sure. Grape as well, a definite wine smell.

T- Quite sour and lots of fruit at the beginning. Really delicious on the finish: the cabernet and brett meld to form a wonderful buttery tart taste.

M- Excellent soft mouthfeel with spritzy carbonation.

D- Drinkability is inhibited by the intensity of the acidity, which is really accentuated by the tartness of the currants. Of course its delicious, although not my favorite RR beer, but difficult to drink a whole bottle in one sitting.

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%

Big thanks to the Central PA tasting group for passing this one along our way.

A: pours a deep reddish brown, somewhat murky, not much head retention, decent lacing

S: things starts of acidic with notes of vinegar pairs with cherry, oak and vanilla. Varying levels of fruitiness and acidity come through making for a complex nose.

T: lactic acid and tartness up front, big time puckering, followed by a sweeter and fruitier middle, this is followed up by a considerable amount of oak with a touch of funk, and the tartness returns on the finish.

MF: high carbonation, refreshing mouthfeel

O: this is a delicious and well balanced Wild Ale. The 10% is very well hidden and the range of flavors is vast. Definitely worth a try.

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%

Clear brown beer, short live head. Not much in the way of head retention or lacing.

Love the smell, must be currents eh?

Well its sour, hah. Not over powering though. Fruity...again currents?

Good mouthfeel, lotsa carbonation in the mouth!

Still having trouble putting sour reviews into words. I know I like em though! Very clean tasting. Yes!

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%

Its days like this that I wish I had a tulip glass.

Pours like a shaded version of burnt sienna. Head generated quickly resembles that of a Soda, and disappears just as fast. Zero Lacing

Smell blasts scents of pine and berries. Smells like a Spring morning.

Tastes tart, but no overpowering - with a really hard to define flavor profile (sour, bitter, hint of sweet). Aftertaste leaves something to be desired. Mouthfeel lacking.

Very good beer.

4.14/5  rDev -6.1%

My second Wild Ale, first being RR Sanctification, I enjoyed this brew more.

A: Small, bubbly head with little retention. Audible carbonation rose from this transparent redish brown body.

S: Sourness, cider, cherries, oak barrel notes, and that unmistakable funk.

T: Sourness dominates, variety of fruit flavors present. Oak and vanilla become more apparent as the brew warms, definitely a sipper.

M: Medium bodied, great carbonation, coats mouth thoroughly.

O: Better than my first Wild Ale, but I'm starting to think Wild Ale's aren't my thing.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

A-Rusty copper brown. Little pieces of sediment swirling around the glass. Tiny head that disspates quicky. Complex and interesting to look at honestly.

S-Vinegar, oak, sour apples, tart cherries.

T-Immediately sour, tangy, and out right funky. In a good way of course. Vinegar and sour apples show up again in the taste Along with some tart cherries and currants.

M-Medium mouthfeel with expected carbonation for the style, i think. carbonation is tingly and has a little sting to it. the finish is bitter and dry. I found it to be very refreshing.

D-I've only had a handfull of wild ales but this one i enjoyed the most. I could drink this all summer long if i had the access. I wish RR would put these in sixers and ship them over to the third coast.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Batch 001x4. 750 mL bottle, cage and mushroom cork presentation. Dark brown with blood red highlights in color with a restrained creamy tan head. The head is an anomaly for a sour in my experience, which usually seem to be paltry or enormous, but this one just sits and retention is rock-like in longevity.

Aroma is tart with red and dark fruit - currants, cherries, prunes. An almost candy-like sweetness is there as well, along with wild critters providing some lacto, pedio notes plus a spot of musty funk to round it out. Taste has a nice fruit and malt sweetness with currants and some tart cherry coming out of the woodworks. In congruence with the sweet cherry pie is a load of pedio driven sourness that peaks on the midpalate. A slight funk has accented the dark fruits in this after being cellared a year, reminding me of a new world tip of the hat to old world Flemish red style ales. Tart fruit and earthy finish. Feel is medium with a very delicate and luscious carbonation that again reminds me of some greats such as Rodenbach Grand Cru.

What have I learned here tonight? Like all the other Russian River sours, this one just gets better with age. I have never been a big of a fan of Consecration as most beer geeks have seemed to be, but after tasting this batch 1 some time later I think I may be converted. Really tasty, recommended for cellaring.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Shared by Fred82. Merci Fred! (batch 4x2) Brownish red pour with a ring of white foam around my tulip. Aroma is actually quite mild for the style, currants, subtle (winey) oak and sour aromas. Taste is this beer's strength, a well balanced mixture of sweet fruity flavors of the currants and the lemony tartness. Some oak flavor as well but nothing overpowering. Palate is smooth with a nice dry tart finish, I can also get a bit of alcohol heat, which I understand now that I've seen this beer's ABV. Not something I'm used to for the style but quite interesting.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: ruby brown and clear, with a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin veil. Very small bubbles; spritzy. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but this is a beer, and from this beer's appearance, I knew it would be good.

Aroma: stone fruit and sour.

Taste: nice and sour. Tart, but not mouth puckering so. Tartness is upfront, which fades to a dry finish at which point the Brett funk arrives. The Brett funk is subdued. I can't detect any of the currants. The beer is wonderfully smooth for being 10% ABV. No alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium.

Overall: this is probably the highest rated beer I've tried. Honestly, I think this beer is overhyped. It is good - very good - but not deserving a BA score of 4.5/5.0. Of the sours I've tried recently, I prefer (in order) Crooked Stave Sentience, Trinity Red Swingline and Boulevard Love Child #3 (cellared 1 year).

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance – Pours a dark clear ruby red with a head that quickly disappears, and no lacing.

Smell – Cabernet, oak, and a hint of sourness.

Taste – Sour, oakey cabernet. A little too much sour to properly complement the cabernet, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel – Tart, very lightly carbonated. I’m surprised this is 10% abv. Left a sour aftertaste.

Drinkability – An all around decent sour, but I drank it next to a Cuvee des Jacobins, which a lot of other reviewers did, and I think that was better side by side.

Batch 004x4

The cork pops and dispenses an auburn liquid into my duvel tulip.

Black cherry, cola, damp earth, sweet oak, and sour acidity.

Dark cherry cola kicks things off, then a wave of cigar box, leather and malic acid reminscent of granny smith apples. Oak and a puckering tartness linger on the palate.

This one of those rare sours that displays a substantial level of sourness while still retaining a great deal of complexity. It doesn't just taste like cider vinegar, their is a lot going on here.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured vigorously into my Liefman's Goudenband glass, head quickly dwindles tan head forms thick but fleets me. The carbonation never quits moving, leading me to believe that this beer is still alive. Aromatics are so deep with vinous tones in this case it seems to be currants added to the mix for the super fruitiness. Batch # 004X3 weird stuff that keeps giving off a wonderful nose. Hints of sherry vinaigrette blowing off the rapid bubbling head, mild cider notes with wild funky tones that could only be dreamt about if your not drinking this wild ale...horse blanket barnyard doesn't even do it justice. Flavor hits you with a blast of oak with tart fruits galore seems like currants are the victim once again. This beer dares you to keep drinking it make sure your immune system is up to par it hit's with a very acidic tartness that's probably not healthy for your digestive tract unless your consuming this regularly. If Vinnie just all about vomit acid inducing sour ales I've gone too far, but so far his Damnation was the best American brewed Belgian anything that I've tried thus far. I guess it's a question of do you really like sours? I do...it's so different from your average brew out there this wild fermentation really peaks my interest even if it ends in a sour vinegar lactic pedio WTF?

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Batch 006. Poured from a slightly chilled bottle into a New Belgium snifter. Very dark ruby-amber pour with low carbonation for a bottle conditioned beer. The head is thin and dissipates quickly. The nose is sharp with tart dark fruit notes like cherries and currants. There is also a grapey, wine-like tone to it.

The beer has a medium body, firm mouthfeel, and a strong sour character. Cherry and currant flavors provide a fleeting sweetness and are quickly overtaken by intense sour oaky flavors. The beer finishes dry and acidic, just like a wine, and leaves you salivating for another sip.

Like all of their sours, this gem from RR is worth seeking out. As good as it is, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Supplication, which for my palate has a nearly perfect balance between sweet and sour. This beer is probably more for fans of intensely sour beers.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company