Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,481
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
4.77/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Daily Pint. Most likely the fourth batch. I can't believe it has taken me this long to review what is currently my favorite beer, but, better late than never.

A decent amount of carbonation sitting atop a deep ruby body, almost brownish in tinge. Very sexy legs as I tilt the glass.

Some sour tannic goodness as far as the aromas are concerned, with a nice light whiff yielding a perfume-y sensuousness to the bouquet. I smell something else in there, a richness I can't quite identify.

Ah, so tart and spicy and lactic-acidy and cabernet-sauvignon-y. Not as smooth as some of the older batches, but this remains so enough to warrant plenty of accolades. The peppery flavors from the currants really stands out, as does the rich sourness.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick, but with the strength of the tartness I can't hold it enough for a thorough swishing (yeah, call me a wuss, go ahead).

Overall, this fourth batch could use some age, BUT, GDit Consecration is Consecration. And it feels like Consecration: raising me up to the heavens on a 10% ABV. God's work continues to be done.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

To be quite honest, I had mixed feelings about plunking down $22 for a 750ml bottle, but I wisely listened to a friend who said it was more than worth it. Batch #002x1.

A - Initial carbonation was high with a 2-3 finger head that dissapated quickly. Nice and dark like a fine brandy.

S - Funky and sour! Hard to believe there aren't any cherries in this one. I get a red wine vinegar, green apple, oak and sour grapes. This is gonna be good!!

T - Wow! Just like it smells, sour green apples, a hint of red wine vinegar and dark bitter cherries. I tried like hell but could not pick up the vanilla mentioned by other reviewers. Un-Godly well balanced!

M - Carbonation seemed high when I popped the cork, but was perfect on my palate. Dry and oh so tart with just the perfect acidity.

D - This is actually very scary. I did not even get a hint of alcohol here. 10%? It could be 2% and I would not have noticed. Yet even with alcohol taking a backseat, it was so satisfying that I wanted to prolong drinking this like no other.

Overall, I don't see many sours coming close to this. Vinnie hits it on the head once again. May be arguably the best to come out of Santa Rosa ever.

4.77/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap, out of bottles fresh and out of bottles with 8-10 months of aging. On tap, which is the basis for this rating, it was one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had the pleasure of smelling/drinking.

It's a deep reddish-brown color with almost no head. As it sits, there are absolutely no bubbles on top. The smell hits you immediately and it's just unreal. It smells sour, but there is so much more in there. Wonderfully warming oaky notes with some sweetness in the background. You can smell it from across the table.

The initial taste is that of tartness, but just wait a few seconds. Your palate is bathed with this sweetness that is perfectly subtle. The oak erupts and you can taste all those years that these barrels were filled with Cabernet. I don't taste the currants exactly, but I am sure they are contributing to the subtle sweetness.

If it wasn't for my preference towards sweeter Belgian tripels, the taste would be a 5 as well. I cannot imagine many better Wild Ales than this.

This was FAR superior to the bottled versions. I'd buy bottles again, but I will always order it if it's available on tap.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Batch 7 poured into a Great Lakes Christmas Ale snifter. thanks bubica!

body is a cloudy reddish orange. Head was soda pop fizzy. Like a dark gueuze.

Acidic sourness initially. All the lovely Brett smells come into play nicely. Light red wine (maybe thats the Cabernet barrels) is hidden underneath all of it.

Nice gueuze-like sourness, but its balanced by a wine like smoothness. What separates Consecration from other gueuzes is the sweetness. Its light, and sits light. The initial gueuze sourness hits you in the mouth, then fades with a wave subtle sweetness that leaves your mouth coated with that sweetness. As I work my way through the beer, it has wine-like qualities that make it even better. The booze is felt with a tingle on the tongue. a 10% Wild?!

Its not as sour as Belgians, but the overall balance is very refreshing.

I love the way this thing feels. Its not Belgian, but its damn close!

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Review #100 - and a damn fine choice if I do say so myself.

A - Pours a deep, dark ruby red. Virtually opaque. Dark like Chimay Blue is dark. Beautiful garnet highlights. Light tan head is two fingers tall and big bubbled. Not a lot of staying power on the head, and little lacing to speak of.

S - The fruit makes its presence known immediately. Both dark (raisin & plum) and red (cherry & raspberry) fruit pay a role. The barrel influence is a big part, giving solid red wine and vanilla overtones. The wild yeast adds an earthy, horsey funk. A bit of booze tops it all off. this is the kind of beer that gives you something new with every whiff. Incredible depth.

T - Again, the fruit hits first.The dark/red emphasis seems to shift from sip to sip, sometimes giving more plum, sometimes more raspberry and cherry. I imagine I'm tasting currant at times, but I usually don't eat currants, so its hard to have a real basis for comparison. The Cab flavors play a part in the front as well, imparting their own unique fruitiness. The oaky, vanilla flavors come in the middle and on the sides, where the musty earth of the brett makes its presence known. The sour aspect hits with a bang toward the end which, along with the oak and wine tannin, makes for a super clean finish.

M - Medium-full body, but the carbonation is a bit coarse, which along with the acidity and tannin, makes for a very snappy feel.

D - I could drink this stuff all night. I'm actually having to tell myself to drink it slowly in order to savor it. the 10% abv is barely noticeable.

This is a top ten beer for me, no doubt. Delicious and creative, worthy of the awe it inspires.

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Received this brew from 110x0110 (not right) in a recent trade. I've been hella excited to try this brew for quite some time and considering I just got a new job, today is the day. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Batch 001X4

A- Pours a dark reddish brown that is sort of mahogany in color with a fairly prominent one finger foamy head. It dissipates really quickly and doesn't leave a cap or collar but I'm biased. Half point higher because I'm so pumped.
S- Slightly woody and tart with a semi vinous red grape dimension. Earthy and clean at the same time with some apple cider vinegar and raisin bran. Light cherry with a sort of minor musky funk and Brett backdrop. The 10% is no where to be found in the nose.
T- Starts with a lightly tart/sour kick that is amazingly smooth and pleasant. Mushroom and ham (yes ham) add a very earthy funk component that is sort of salty and sweet. Tobacco, leather, teriyaki beef jerky and compost add even more earthy goodness before the Cabernet sets in. Red grapes, prunes and figs are somewhat fruity and raw. The beer hasn't reached totally puckering sour yet but it will eventually. As of now it's just slightly sour and awesome. Finishes with some vanilla and oak and lots of thick black fruity goodness.
M- Medium to light body with a sharp carbonation and pleasant feel. Again, 10% my ass...
D- Wow... This brew is amazing. So earthy and drinkable with a fantastic fruity quality that isn't sweet or bitter. Unlike anything I've tasted to this point. I was expecting a straight up sour with a slight fruity dimension but not so. Awesome stuff, thanks Matt!

Batch 007

A - Pours a dark red/ruby color with a nice head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring and some lacing.

S - Tart and sour. Definitely pick up on the funkiness of the yeast. Dark fruits. Currants are the most noticeable fruit here. A very nice and strong smell.

T - Great sour notes...I definitely pick up apple and currant notes. Some cherry as well. A little bit of funkyness from the brett too. Very nice and complex. The Cabernet Sauvignon barrels add a nice touch and refined wine characteristic. This is the ideal sour beer - marvelous.

M - Medium bodied, it starts really sour and tart but a note of sweetness is present on the finish. For 10%, this drinks really nicely.

O - Consecration is one of the best sours I have ever had. It's extremely well done and inviting. I would love to have this again!

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%

I usually never drink a beer with fruit added to the mix (in this case currents), but I love Russian River and constantly tell myself I'm blessed to live close by. So... I bought a 750mL of Consecration - it's not cheap $22 a bottle.

Now for the review....

A: Nice copper/ruby

S: Smells like red wine at first, then you can smell some currants and "regular" beer smells

T: Tart like a sour beer should be. The first thing you test is the sour, then you you can taste the currents, the Cabernet oak barrel, and traditional beer flavors. It leaves I nice finish of sour cherries.

M: Wonderful effervescent feeling on the tongue!

D: I never heard of sour beers until I first started to go regularly to the the Toronado. At first, I didn't like them, but they grow on you quickly.

Consecration is an excellent "sour beer" (aka Brettanomyces). I got my money's worth with this one. The alcohol does not over power it at all, in fact it's subtle.

Consecration is a perfect example of the "new era" of experimental micro-brews.

Beers like this really make you wonder why you ever drank PBR, Bud, or Corona. Consecration is one beer raising and bettering beer's reputation (ruined by the macro brews).

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Dark Brown with very little head, if any but huge carbonation visible from a birds eye view! Awesome stuff. This is like watching a storm!

S- In my opinion the least exciting aspect of this beer. I got some citrus, ripe fruits and slight barnyard

T- Ripe cherries, citrus, black berries a winey finish. Delicious.

M- Best part about this beer. Syrupy sugary start followed by a highly carbonated medium dry finish. No alcohol taste. Amazing.

O- I pretty much love everything these guys do, I'm not gonna lie

4.76/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company