1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,134 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
CFHMagnet

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

Batch 013113 printed on the bottle. I must say, I'm rather excited about this beer, as it is the first RR brew I am having, and have heard nothing but good things about them. I will try to not let that influence my rating.

I poured slowly per the bottle's instructions. I receive a half finger of dull tan colored head that dissipates almost as soon as I'm done pouring. This leaves no froth on top, but a constant flow of bubbles is noticed on the surface. No lace.

It smells of red wine, cherries and raspberries.

The taste is red wine and raspberries. You get a little funk as well, almost like a light dank woodiness. The alcohol is well disguised.

This is rather light bodied. It goes down quickly and leaves a film on your tongue.

07-26-2013 02:16:49 | More by CFHMagnet
IronLover

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

Clear light caramel red color. Color made me think of a light bourbon. Very light head that dissipates quickly. Lots of soda like carbonation.

Very sour fruity aroma. Taste is a tangy, fruity and sour, with oak undertones. Can definitley taste the currants. Nice light flavors are still able to slip through the sour flavors.

Nice light body. Easy to drink with a dry red wine like finish.

06-02-2010 03:12:52 | More by IronLover
hooliganlife

Missouri

On tap at RR

Pour was a deep ruby with bright amber orange. Little to no head.

Lots of currants up front. Nice sourness really blends well with the currants. Light oak and dark grape really blend well. There was. A strong vanilla presence that really irked me. I have had consecration many times, every batch, and this is the first time I have tasted this. Not sure if it is a tap thing. I was not digging it.

Lots of carbonation with a very dry feeling.

This was my first time having this on tap. Id hate to score this low if it is a one off because it destroys from the bottle.

08-17-2010 04:51:25 | More by hooliganlife
SiepJones

Poured into a Tulip

A: A dark brown with little clarity (same color as the bottle its sold in). There is a half inch ring of head with around the outer ring of my glass and some whispy trails of bubbles through the middle. The Duvel D at the bottom of my glass is creating a swirl of carbonation in the middle that makes the bubbles look like clouds of a hurricane.

S: Acidic sour, some cherry "tang", as well as some earthy oak notes.

D: Sour vinegar with a hint of tartness, slight earthy flavor on the finish. Like the Cabernet barrels the beer is aged in it has a similar finish, earthy and puckering. Sour not dry.

M: Slick, lightly carbonated mouth.

D: I enjoyed this beer and the fact that it really resembled a wine, minus the carbonation. I would gladly have another but for the ABV which at 10 is very high. While I don't notice the alcohol presence in the taste or scent I am sure I will feel it after my first glass.

10-24-2010 23:14:42 | More by SiepJones
cetherid

poured into a tulip

A.

A dark maroon color, when held up to the light you get the reds to come out. Its relatively clear and a head that is pretty much non existent.

S.

Funky sour smell with some wine characteristics. Musty smell, a little oak, and some dark fruit like cherries coming out. (the currants I'd imagine). I've been on a lambic kick lately and I love the aroma of this as it similar, yet different.

T.

A sour dominant beer. The first taste you get is sourness and it lingers for quite awhile. The other flavors are hard to pickup because of the sourness, but I get a little fruity red wine in there with a dry finish.

M.

light bodied. Carbonation is there (but doesnt look like it from the appearance) You get the acidic feeling on the tongue and a nice dry finish.

D.

A little low in this category because of cost, availability, ABV, and taste. I think the taste is good, but not so good that I have to try another.

01-05-2011 01:59:32 | More by cetherid
davey101

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

375ml, batch 004x2. Poured into an over sized wine goblet. Received as a super generous extra from Plenum, thanks a ton man!

A - Pours a dark brown with red tint. Very clear and bubbly. No real head to speak of, but there's some nice action going on around the edges of the glass.

S - Tons of currants, cherries, and oak. The finish is very musky and funky.

T - Extremely sour. This is probably the most sour beer I've ever had, even more so than the Belgian lambics and guezes I've tried. Cherries and oak. The sourness masks a lot of the fruit flavors, but the brett funk is on full display. Delicious.

O - This was a very good beer and I'm glad I got to try this. Its not on par with the belgian sours, but this is a very impressive american wild. It was my first RR'ion beer and from what I read this is the bottom of the tier. Can't wait to try some of the other ones.

06-30-2011 01:30:45 | More by davey101
4DAloveofSTOUT

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

had this beer on friday night. Sat down with several freind and tried all the RR sours! I am new to sours and willing to give them a chance. Why not start with some of the best?

reviewed from notes.

Appearance: light brown bodied beer with redish highlights. White whispy head with lots of small bubbles.

Smell: Cranberries, oak and wine.

Taste: Cranberries and currant. Tannins and oak. Moderate sour taste of vinegar takes over the taste and finish of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Prickly and clean mouthfeel.

Overall: Interesting sour beer. Not my favorite sour we had that night, but its decent!

08-15-2011 20:09:43 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
NJpadreFan

Russian River- Consecration

A- Deep plum reddish purple with a good foamy head.
S- Sweet red grapes, plums, sour mix and scoops of sugar.
T- Sour red grapes, black currant, plums, and a sour citrus.
M- Very sour and dry. Sweet sugary fruit finish.

Overall- good sour dry feel with a nice black currant flavor. 1 or 2 would be good at dessert.

03-15-2009 19:52:05 | More by NJpadreFan
YOOJ

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap into a Chimay goblet at the Bier Stein in Eugene.

Beautiful dark red color, quite similar to the bottle. No head whatsoever. Very unique looking beer.

Smell is black cherry a little booze, overall surprisingly subtle, and I would have expected a little more funk.

Taste is much like the smell, black cherry with great smooth sourness up front. Hardly any funk present. Finishes with complex sourness and a subtle aftertaste.

Surprisingly fizzy, the texture that you would expect from a 10% beer. You can smell the alcohol, but it is completely masked in the flavor.

I have yet to fully enjoy a sour experience, so maybe its just not my thing.

02-15-2010 20:33:27 | More by YOOJ
Alieniloquium

3.88/5  rDev -13.2%

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 006.

Appearance - Pours with a hint of a brown head that's gone in a flash. Nothing after that. Looks flat as hell. The body is a dark ruby red. Looks like a glass of cabernet.

Smell - Acidic and lactic sour aromas. Oak. Strong red wine presence. Distinctly cabernet, too. I'm amazed how well the wine comes through. Sour fruits round out the flavor. Cherries and I suppose currants, but hell if I've ever actually smelled currants.

Taste - Like the flavor, but with a more pronounced acidity. Sour at first. Not puckering, but it's sustained throughout the drink. Lots of sour fruits followed by a ton of cabernet. The finish of the beer is dry, but the wine character overwhelms the dryness leaving it with a vinous character in the end.

Mouthfeel - It's not a light sour by any means. In fact it gets kinda tough to drink after a while. Medium-low carbonation doesn't help. It feels like I'm drinking a sour glass of wine more than a beer.

Overall - Interesting flavors, but a huge sour ale that gets sluggish and repetitive as I drink it. Tasty, but not something I could drink all the time.

04-09-2012 02:30:54 | More by Alieniloquium
samtrillo

3.86/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Looks like blackberry soda.

S - Can definitely sense the currants and Cab barrels. Little worried it wont have a strong ale taste though.

T - Yeah, in my honest opinion it's a little lacking in the beer/ale flavor. It tastes like a dry soda. It's not bad, very drinkable, but I would love to try a stout aged in Cab barrels. I'm not a huge sour advocate, but if that is your thing, try this! You will like.

M - Very carbonated. Adds to the soda feel. No head. Reminds me of a Lindemans.

O - Obviously a very high quality offering but not for everyone. If you are into Lindemans or sours this is a must try.

03-10-2014 05:18:51 | More by samtrillo
LilBeerDoctor

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

On tap at Capone's. Pours dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of sweettart candies, oaky notes, and lots of sweet notes. Flavor is very tart and acidic with Brett, light pale malts, a touch of yogurt, and wine-like notes (red grapes). Very flavorful but the palate is a bit wearing over time. Not my favorite type of sour but this was quite good.
9/4/8/3/15 (3.9/5)

03-31-2009 03:04:31 | More by LilBeerDoctor
maximum12

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

Thanks to BZero007 for sending me this in an epic exchange of Top 100 brews. I hope he enjoyed his, now I'm going to tie into mine!

Batch #2. Pours thick, dark, cloudy red with a bubbly head that falls instantly to the barest of rings. Smells is all sour, funky cherry (or is that currants?).

Taste is like a sour slap upside the head. The sour funk runs up into my nasal passages & clears up the mild cold that started, as well as aiding my arthritis & cataracts. Yeesh! Sour dark fruits, funk, with a dry, tart finish contributed by the wood that sears the top of my mouth & back of my throat.

I think dry & tart covers the mouthfeel, with high carbonation. I can hear it bubbling. Drinkability is high/low. Low because I couldn't have more than half the bomber, high because it's unique & soothing on the tongue. As I move on even a half-bomber is a lot; eight ounces would have sufficed.

Very good beer. Can't say that I'm as enamored of it as the general BA population, but I understand the appeal. A wonderful once-in-a-while treat.

07-22-2009 02:59:05 | More by maximum12
1759Girl

Consecration 09

Hello, pretty little glass... You look dangerous.

Appearance> dark red brown, no head, no bubbles, no lacing

Smell>Sour cherry. Yeasty. Wow. Not my cuppa, but pretty fab for those who like this sort of thing.

Taste> The tart prune "tannins," if you will, strike suddenly... then the sour mash sensation warms up in the hang leaving the imbiber's palette with pleasant, plummy notes in the hang.

Mouf>thin and easy

Drinkability> Wow. That was great and a nice switchup from my usuals at the Toronado, but I couldn't have more than one... more than two would definitely be bad on a weekday.

05-10-2010 04:17:37 | More by 1759Girl
DavoleBomb

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

After an unreasonably arduous brewday, I need something good to relax me and the funk was calling me. Poured into a tulip. Batch 003x4.

Cork pull gave a spirited pop, but then the beer inside got pissy and decided to spill out a bit over the top. Not really overcarbonated, but given the day I just had, I'm not surprised that this beer was out to get me. Anyway...

4.0 A: Dark mahogany color and hazy. Looks like I might have gotten the yeast in an uproar. Two fingers of fizzy off white head that acts and falls like the head on a can of Coke.

4.0 S: Nose is pleasant, but pretty simplistic for a sour. On the acid front, the only thing that comes through with any power is acetic acid, which could be amplified by the currants. Latic acid is soft if it is even there at all. I can smell the barrel, but wouldn't have any idea that it was Savignon if I didn't read the label. Black currant and cherry fruitiness underlying.

4.0 T: Quite a lot more going on in the taste than in the nose. The first thing that struck me was a tongue paralyzing astringency, but this dies down upon additional sips. Very musky as well. The Cabernet makes an big appearance in the taste and actually this tastes more like a soured wine than a soured beer. Though there is a touch of vinegary-ness, there is a lot more lactic acid, though surprisingly not too tart. Tannins with currant and raisin fruitiness. Though I appreciate complexity, the big bold flavors are each too aggressive on their own and fail to mesh harmoniously.

3.5 M: Lighter medium. Good moderate amount of fizzy carbonation. Astrigency on finish that lingers. Alcohol is noticeable, but seems more like 7% than 10%.

3.5 D: Not bad, but seems like there are too many flavors competing without any direction.

05-24-2010 05:00:47 | More by DavoleBomb
slvrmon82

Delaware

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

I live in Delaware and we can not find Russian River anywhere around. I found some the other day at Monks Cafe in downtown Philadelphia.

The appearance in very dark and ruby. Almost like a pinot noir. It poured a little thick with almost no carbonation. There was little head that dissipated rather quickly.

The smell was very light in my opinion. Lots of sweet fruit with a little sour as well.

Taste was very good. It was sweet and sour and had almost taken on the pinot taste from the barrels that is aged on. It has some nice hops at the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel was very nice as well. It almost appears like wine but it had a lot of carbonation behind it. I was really not expecting the carbonation.

Drinkability is good but not great. If you like wild-ale this would be great. I could not keep drinking again and again especially with a $30 price tag. But you get what you pay for.

It was a great beer and I will drink again.

10-14-2009 19:24:12 | More by slvrmon82
hrking

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

This is one of those beers that drinks more like a wine than a beer. Aged in wine barrels and carrying the flavors over into the finished product with a unique character added to the tartness of this beer. All the RR products are made to the highest of standards by one of craft beers true master brewers! I recommend trying all their brews if you can get your hands on them..

12-25-2009 17:27:29 | More by hrking
nkersten

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

Bottle batch 004x02 poured into Oerbier tulip. A hazy dried blood redish brown with an off white fizzy head that disappears quickly. Not an attractive beer. Smell is sour fruit, cherry pits, sugary sour candy, a hint of wine oakiness and funk. Taste is not nearly as complex as the smell - sour grapes at first, followed by a hint of alcohol and some wet oak. Mouthfeel is puckering at first, light body with prickly carbonation and a dry finish. Pretty drinkable, though not the best batch of consecration I have had.

11-03-2010 03:46:40 | More by nkersten
beertunes

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

I'm not sure what style glass this was served in, it was kind of a cross between a flute and a tulip. Poured a reddish mahogany with about 1/2 inch of off-white head that had medium retention and light lacing.

Grapes and wine! That is what dominated the nose, and there were traces of malt, spice and yeast in the background. Oh yes, this is mouth-puckeringly sour brew. Tart, tangy and sour, they wine flavor wasn't as strong as the had led me to expect.

The body was good, although a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good for a sour and the beer stayed puckerific to the last drop.

Overall, a good beer, a must try if you see it.

11-20-2010 21:19:58 | More by beertunes
mykie73

Oregon

on tap at Saraveza.

EDIT: this was for batch 1; batch 2 and 3 are much better.

A dark reddish brown with no lacing. See-through, can not tell if there is a lot of carbonation from looking at glass.

S lots of tart cherries, wine funk and oak notes.

T Delicious. wine, citrus, and oak is present. very tart at first and then sour on finish. quite enjoyable.

M) Feels great can't complain on the feel of it. Consistent to what a sour should be. Sourness/puckering feeling is enjoyable.

D) I could drink a lot of this but due to how pricey it is I think I'll invest in bottling other sours. Glad I got a few bottles but glad I did not purchase an entire case. It will be very interesting to see how this one ages. A bit over hyped but quite delicious and an enjoyable experience.

02-21-2009 00:22:51 | More by mykie73
juhl31

3.8/5  rDev -15%

this beer was chilled in a hotel bag of ice in a trash bin and poured into a 10 oz. plastic cup.

-dark amber color with a light brown head

-SOUR got some malts in there for sure and seems to be biscuity malts

-SOUR some cherry, some lemon. pretty warming on the way down. can feel it in the belly.

-SOUR champagnesque. bubbles on the tongue pretty good

-really gotta be in the mood to drink a sour. if i was in the mood for a beer i would never go for a sour. it is good for the style, but that i think will always be the case

08-13-2009 05:26:33 | More by juhl31
AaronHomoya

3.8/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bought from a small beer store in Paulsbo, WA near Seattle. My first wild ale from Russian River, though I have been a fan of the sour wild ale style from Belgium for while. It's an attractive red, plum, amber color. Carbonation is fairly high and makes it looks just a bit like Dr. Pepper - but in a good way. The smell is really nice. Sour, cherries, alcohol, and a sweet/acid mix. The flavor is similar, but with more dark fruit, a bit of the cabernet and oak. I give it some minus-points because there is a bile-like quality as well that didn't sit well with me. Mouthfeel is nice and lively and it would be very drinkable for me if not for that bile-thing going on in the background.

09-04-2010 16:55:05 | More by AaronHomoya
Chico1985

3.8/5  rDev -15%

First of two 375ml's purchased in Philly last week. The other one is staying in the cellar for a couple years. Batch 004x1, which according to Russian River's website, means this was brewed 3/25/09, and bottled 2/2/10.

Pours a see-through brown, an off-white head quickly fizzles away to a thin ring. Some sediment floating about. No lacing.

Big amount of sweaty funky aromas, cherry and red wine notes, green apple.

Lots of red wine and barrel tastes, sour red grapes. Very prominent oak/wood tastes, funk and barnyard. The fruit is stronger as it warms. Some alcohol here and there. I wasn't very impressed at first but it grew on me enough to give it a 4 for taste about halfway through.

Carbonation is on the high side, feels a bit thin and boozy. A long, dry, sour finish.

Pretty good but underwhelming, definitely not in the league of Supplication or Temptation in my opinion.

09-24-2010 21:15:41 | More by Chico1985
smakawhat

Maryland

3.8/5  rDev -15%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Batch 004X1. Thank you slentz for the trade!

No head off the slow pour, what little there was, was a light tan brown that quickly faded and left the smallest of all collars. Body color is a gorgeous dark red and brown cherry, very wine like looking.

A nice simple tartyness that isn't overpoweringly sour. Cherry like fruit sensation. Not even any heat really coming off for this high abv. Standard funky barnyard to go with it, musty and dank, slightly dry. No sense of oak from this at all.

Classic tart and viscous sour, but sort of boring. Sour cherries also. Almost red wine vinegar but not quite. Sort of one dimensional. Fairly alright for mouthfeel light bodied, warming in the stomach, and coating snap feeling mid palate with some spice. Strangely I get a feeling for summer sausage when having this beer. I want paprika with this.

Overall alright but sort of pedestrian. Feels like a food beer than for casual drinking for me. It will do.

04-14-2011 23:53:54 | More by smakawhat
kojevergas

3.8/5  rDev -15%

375ml brown glass bottle with an intricate cork+steel wire cap served into a hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations were high as this is me second favourite brewery in the world and me favourite in the Americas.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and poor retention. Colour is a dark copper with the potential for overcarbonation, judging by the bubbles. It's appealing in a generic sense.

Sm: Aroma consists of souring hops - which aren't overpowering like some lambics, wine, grapes, mild wood notes, and some lactic notes. Aroma is of moderate to mild strength.

T: A very complex taste, consisting primarily of souring hops but with a wine "shell" around it. Some cedar comes through, particularly from the midpoint through the climax. If berries are present, they're buried. The finish smacks of grapes, which closes out the flavour nicely. No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Very smack your lips pleasant due to the grape finish - sort of a slight Welch's commercial effect. It's smooth and wet all around, but perchance a touch too thick. Overcarbonation is slight but existent.

Dr: It hides its ABV very well, and has some great complex flavours, but does suffer from some minor issues, namely overcarbonation. I could see this getting better with age, but it'd be very difficult to drink more than one. It's nice to kick back and enjoy after returning from work, but sippers only go so far. Excellent value in California.

09-10-2011 04:15:06 | More by kojevergas