Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,094 | Hads: 4,842
2.9/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my trusty Darkness snifter.

Batch 003 from a 750ml bottle.

Let me start by saying I know people go apeshit for this beer. I get that I am possibly a minority on not liking this style. The fact is, I rate a beer based on how it tastes to me. Style aside.

Pours a reddish ice tea color with a bit of off white head. Brett sour funk with a bit of vanilla note. Incredibly sour and tart. Puckering even. After I'm done praying this sip gets over with I do notice a booze bite on the backend. Overly tart and something I really don't wish to have again.

I'm getting stinkeye from the crowd on this one. Maybe rightfully so. Last I checked though I don't get mad if you dislike the ipa or stout in your glass.

3.04/5  rDev -31.1%

375ml poured into a flute - fridge - batch 004x4

Appearance: Pours a dark red, but mostly brown color with absolutely no head. This might be a bad bottle. It is a little cloudy but shows no other signs of life.

Smell: Medicinal, cabernet, currant and not much else. I suppose there is a little bit of tobacco.

Taste: Sticky sweet but also sour and acidic. A tart taste of currant and other dark fruits is met with that typical cabernet taste. Some wood and plenty of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very unlively, with no carbonation, but lots of flavor and wine inspiration. Medium to heavily bodied. Tart, acidic, sweet and woody.

Drinkability: This beer had so much hype around it that it pains me to begrudge it so much. It needs more attention to detail. Head, head retention, aroma, mouthfeel all need to be seriously reconsidered before releasing to the public. I feel like this beer was sold just to get it out of the brewery for some $$$.

3.15/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a nice reddish brown that turns to a beautiful deep ruby when held in front of a light. Almost no head is present, but a bit of lacing is left behind. The carbonation is easily visible, and never dies down by the time the beer is finished.

Smells solid. Sour up front, with a hint of oak and some different fruits (can't pick out which fruits specifically from the nose.)

Taste just isn't up to par with the smell or the expectations. I will say that this is only my second sour, with the supplication I had two days earlier my first. The supplication was absolutely incredible, and is probably my favorite beer now. This one, though, just doesn't do it for me. The sourness doesn't take up enough of the fruity characteristics and instead reminds me almost of pure vinegar. There is a slight fruity sweetness to it which saves it from being really bad, but the vinegar flavor is too prominent to make it anything more than average. I really wanted to like this one as much as supplication, but it just wasn't even close. Real disappointment.

Batch 003x1.

3.29/5  rDev -25.4%

Pours a deep crimson hued plum color with a very small bright purple head. Very little retention and chunky, slippery lacing. Amazing colored brew.

The smell is more vinous than anything. There is a strong concord grape driven smell up front with a fairly reserved funk. I'm liken this to a funky welches grape juice. I enjoy that the oak is not a dominating odor.

The flavor is loaded with grape, current and plums. There is a firm acidity reminiscent of white wine vinegar that covers up a lot of the underlying funk. The funkiness starts to emerge more as the puckering subsides. Once again there is a very vinous quality to this brew. There is no hint in the taste that Consecration sits at a hefty 10%.

The mouthfeel is very light and the carbonation ample and vibrant. There is a lactic thickness on the back end, but the acidity helps to cover and keep it light feeling.

Overall, I feel this brew lacks a complexity that I like in a wild. I enjoy this brew immensely, but this 750 is going to be a chore to polish off.

3.33/5  rDev -24.5%

On-tap at Tustin Brewing Company; a ten-ounce serving poured into a Chimay goblet.

A: Clear, reddish-amber color with a small amount of white head that quickly diminishes to a patchy residue and ring of foam.

S: Weak ascetic odor with slight urea. While it sounds repulsive, the overall mildness of the smell keeps it from being overpowering.

T: Taste begins very sour and also fruity. The taste of wine is diminished and blends well with the other flavors of currants and stone fruits. An aftertaste rapidly sets in consisting of strong, assertive oak and bready yeast. The flavor of the yeast is noticeable in every sip and I find myself looking forward to it--not what I expected to find in this beer. There is no flavor of alcohol detectable.

M: Viscosity is thin but not watery or distracting. Moderate carbonation could be less, as it seems to exhaust the palate by the end of the serving.

D: This beer is truly a challenge, both in terms of alcohol content as well as flavor. It is most similar to another Russian River sour, Supplication. Neither drinks as easily as some other American-brewed sour brown ales such as The Bruery's Oude Tart or Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja. Be warned before you open a large bottle of this beer for yourself--you would have to love sours unconditionally to enjoy all 750 ml.

3.34/5  rDev -24.3%

500 mL bottle, corked and caged, split with my buddy Griff and poured into my two belgian Petrus snifter glasses. Review done from my notes from last night.

A: Pours a murky-brown color with an off-white head that dissipated quickly.

S: The nose is of pure sweetness and funk.

T: Tart fruits and sourness. Lots and lots of sourness. I'm trying to pick up on other things here... pick out certain types of tart fruits, but I'm struggling. Maybe some very mild cherry, but it's tough to tell as this is just overwhelmingly sour to me.

Taste also has a vinegar-red-wine sourness that you get if you open up a bottle of red, don't finish it, put it in your refrigerator for a week or so, then take it back out and drink it.

I will say this, the 10% ABV is very hidden here. I don't pick up on any alcohol presence at all.

M: This beer finishes sour. I'm not sure what else to say about this.

D: It was fun to try... a lot of fun to try. But it's not terribly drinkable for me. I wouldn't have wanted another one that night, and I don't think I would be interested in trying it again until some time passes. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never try it again, just not anytime in the next several weeks.

3.36/5  rDev -23.8%

I am not a huge fan of sour ales. Let's start with that.

A - pours medium brown with a small head. Head recedes leaving little lacing on down and some traces down the side.

S - sweet smell of wine dominates. grapes and tanins with little alcohol at the end.

T/M - overwhelmingly sour throughout though sweet at the front. bits of fruitiness. a leathery taste towards the back. leaves a steel like feel to the tongue but have a clean finish.

O - its sour alright.

3.4/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRC1313 for leaving this at my house after a pretty profound Saison tasting.

Poured a new 375ml into my Dogfish Head snifter. Fairly positive its the first batch in the new 375's but I have already recycled the bottle without looking at it. This beer pours a prune brown with just a hint of a tan head that leaves no lacing. Very little carbonation leaving no bubbles. The aroma is extremely fruity. Tart organic cherry juice with prunes and dates mixed with just a hint of fresh oak. It terms of tartness, most of it seems to coming from a lactic twang. The flavor is much the same. Sour cherry juice dominates the flavor profile. Hints of fig and date come thorough behind the cherry. Oak comes through at the very tail of the profile. Major lactic acid presence. It really feels one dimensional. This is really one of those beers that no matter how dirty your teeth are, they come out feeling clean. The mouthfeel is very full for a sour. Really enjoyable. It really feels full on the palate and finishes extremely dry. Great. I've been lucky enough to have every batch of Consecration. While it is a good beer, I dont think its in the realm of Russian Rivers other sours or in the top echelons of American Wilds.

3.47/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brown with a slight ruby tint. No head to speak of.

Smells tart, followed by fruit; cherries and currants, with strong vinegar.

Taste definitely follows the nose, with strong fruitiness and vinegar tartness. Too much brett... Hints of cherries and currants, but mostly vinegar. Alcohol noticeable, but not strong at all.

Highly acidic feel, with some carbonation. Not too smooth, but that's a sour for you.

After all the hype, including the price, I was unimpressed. I was expecting an eye-opening sour experience, and I got what I consider an average experience. Maybe some more aging would have improved it; I don't know. Just underwhelming all around.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

amber brown color with a thin white head. no lacing whatsoever. Head fades to nothing rather quickly. smell is capital Potent of funky sourness. I don't know how to describe the taste, but it's intensely sour, with dark fruit notes. zingy mouthfeel.

overall: the lesser of all the RR sours, but still not bad. price was $22 a bomber (Batch 3) which is much lower than prices for others.

3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

Had a bottle of this the other night for a tasting. Pours a dark cola Burgundy into a Snifter, carbonation is clearly scene but not overwhelmingly. Minimal head retention with a small but nice amount of lace. The aromas coming form the beer are very complex, black currants, cherry's and Tobacco every so slightly. Was a mind opening taste for everyone at the tasting and actually for a couple people their first addiction. Taste is a sour that leaves your mouth a bit dry. Flavors of cherry's were dominate for me not others, with black currants and a hint of oak in the back ground. I am not a big fan of sours but this beer did well for being a sour and converted people in the tasting to sour lovers. Mouth feel is like drinking a very dry and tart wine and I wouldn't be surprised if some was used int he brewing. This type of beer is definitely a slow and sip drink, at least for me. It is a very interesting beer and would recomend anyone to give it a try at least once!

3.52/5  rDev -20.2%

A big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing this with me an several other BA's.

A: Pours a dark reddish/brown color. A small white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, and tart fruits. I don't get much else.
T: Very sweet and tart fruits. Kind of vinegary. Caramel apples. I enjoy the tartness, but overall there is not a lot here.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and perfectly carbonated. Not hard to drink, but not something I want to reach for again and again.

Not bad at all. I have had this many times, and it is about time to put my thoughts down. Very enjoyable, but Russian River have a lot better Wild Ales IMO. Still very much worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance- light brown in color with little to no head or foam, only very small amount of bubbles to be seen slowly streaming

Smell- little bit of funk and tartness on the nose, currants, can really almost smell the tartness

Taste- you get a little bit of the wine and oak, also a little bit of the currant, but the predominant flavor is just strong sharp sourness, you really don't taste the alcohol at all but the funk and sour is strong,

Mouthfeel- very light and crisp, sour and tart feel, just very light and crisp

Overall/drinkability- while this beer was better then many of the other sours I have tried it still just is not my thing, i just simply don't get it, i can appreciate the complexity and strong flavors of this beer but to me these are just super hard to drink, i mean when i say this beer is sour its super super sour like lemonhead sour, certainly a unique experience but for me just not enjoyable really beyond the novelty

3.52/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours an opaque caramel color with no head. Tart apple and Belgian yeast aromas. Ok, so I'm not a wild fan at all. I mean, as much as I want to get it, I just don't. Have you ever picked up a sack of apples that have fallen off the tree? The sack was left outside all night. You went out the next late afternoon and picked them up. The movement stirred the honey bees inside. You stuck your head in the sack. This beer tastes like that apple sack smells. I do enjoy how after the beer disappears from the palate and I lick my lips, there's a sweet taste that, subsequently, appears on the tongue. I'm still developing my palate for the wilds. Bear with me.

3.53/5  rDev -20%

Thanks for the trade Christian

Pours a very dark shade of brown, looks black in low light. A solid two fingers of very lively head rises up but falls quickly, leaving a thick persistent collar around my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is very mild funkiness, tart apples, caramel, grapes, a hint of oak barrel as well.

Taste is a mouth puckering mash of grapes, apple skin, strong oak presence, vinegar, caramel, and dirt. Very complex but the oak comes through a tad too much leaving a dryness on the palate that I don't care for. Medium bodied and like I said very dry. This is a very impressive beer but not really my cup of tea quite yet (still so/so about sours).

I will revisit this again next year and see if my opinion has changed.

3.57/5  rDev -19%

A huge thanks goes out to MadVermin who sent this as part of our trade! Seems a little short filled unfortunately.

Appearance - Much darker than the other Russian Rivers I've had. No head or froth upon pouring at all. The carbonation is hard to judge on this. Overall, an opaque deep red and brown color. Looks quite sweet and honestly a little flat.

Smell - A little sweeter side to the traditional sour smell of Russian River beers. Some light cherry and perhaps some other fruits as well. Light lemon in the distance. Definitely a heavy oak flavor all-throughout.

Taste - Sour and tart on the front. I immediately notice the translation of light cherries from nose to mouth. A fairly heavy lemon zest throughout; while retaining a certain amount of sweet fruit.The power of the lemon, ethanol, and carbonation are perhaps a little to much and cause some sort of upset in my throat. I very oddly taste chocolate in my mouth after the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - My initial response after my first drink was that this was a heavy-bodied beer. But it soon mellowed out to be pretty average-medium bodied. Sour and tart with a hint of sweetness. Heavy carbonation becomes clear upon my first drink. Slight sourness left on the lips. Nice to sip and enjoy. Ethanol is hidden quite well but stands out at times. I think I would prefer sanctification over this one.

3.57/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle. Bottled on 08/11/14. Enjoyed 02/22/15. I had heard nothing besides greatness about the Russian River Brewing Company, and with an interest in sours, I knew I had to try Consecration. Ended up scouting this guy out and shelling over $16 for a 375 ml bottle! Damn! The most expensive beer I have ever purchased to date (by far!).

A: Murky/turbid due to being fermented in the bottle. Amber to slightly purple color. Very nicely carbonated. Poured pretty foamy, but the head died off rather quickly.

S: First impression was a very strong alcohol smell followed by wine/currants. Light Cabernet aroma. Surprisingly to me, this beer doesn't pack whole lot of aroma.

T: Currants, oak, and wine were the first flavors I distinguished. You can definitely tell that this is aged in Cabernet barrels. Not very sour compared to other sour beers I have had before. Not overpowering at all. Sweet, but not too much so. Dry funky flavors pull their way though--I'm thinking it's the Brettanomyces. Dry finish. Champagne-like effervescence. Tamarind notes found in the aftertaste.

M: Leaves the tongue with a tannic feel. Must be from the barrel.

O: Overall, this beer is very dry, very oaky, very wine-like, lightly acidic, with a strong alcohol taste. I hate to sound sacrilegious, but this beer really didn't do it for me. It just wasn't what I was looking for. If I really wanted all of those wine flavors, I might as well have gone with wine. I have found a few Belgian sours to be more pleasurable and interesting to me, but it is obvious that many people get very excited about this beer, so I couldn't not recommend it. At this price point though, I think I'll be holding off for a while before reevaluating this interesting creation.

3.57/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip, small bottle carefully poured. Shared last weekend with SundaySour.

Batch: shamefully I forgot to note; it's always important!

A: Light brown sugar with a filmy head and no lacing. A solution of brown sugar and maple syrup. Looks very scotch like! Soft dark reds and lighter shimmering shades dominate.

S: Up front cherry skins and dried gojji berries. Wood acidity is prominent, but not too invasive. Fresh split raisins in dark cane sugars, not too sweet, and featuring a rapid dryness.

T: Acidic woods, red wine vinegars, and sprits of lime juice. A light lingering lime salt flavor with white citrus connective tissues, but not quite rinds. The currents really tang the finish, and bitter in the mouth. Each sip relieves astringency with refreshing sweetness.

M: Light flat body that has all its sensations overwhelmed by tartness. Not much here, flavor sensations thwart subtle mouth feels. Fairly wet in the mouth, light aspirin comes very late; leaves a bit of a cotton mouth.

O: I've had this a few times, and this wasn't the strongest showing. I wish I had made note of the batch as it was really quite a bit more acidic than I ever had before. This was my first time out of the bottle, but even then the youth of the wood and harshness of young currents pillaged the palate. This beer is much better in different batches, but I would say that the taste character is fairly the same. There was a bit more lime/vinegar than I'd like, as the flavors are already acidic and bold enough. By no means a crap or unexciting beer, but I dreamed of acidic remedies after this one.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

375 ml Batch III poured into a snifter. "Consecration is a dark Belgian style ale aged in American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Not only do we use Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, & Pediococcus, we also add currants to beer while it is aging in the barrels"

Appearance: Clear and deep rust brown with a small, dark, "soda" head that fizzed away rather early and left no lacing whatsoever. 3/5

Aroma: Fruity with strongest notes of cherries and some currants with warmth. But the aroma, in my opinion, was eclipsed by intense, one-dimensional sourness. Decidedly funky nonetheless. 3.5/5

Taste: A clean and intensely sour beer, with minor hints of the base beer. Unfortunate, in my opinion. Wood is felt, but mostly mouth puckering sour, and that's it. Well, the funk is unmistakable, but for a sour brownish ale, Supplication was definitely better. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Like its other brethren, medium bodied, yet quite clean with a long, oaky finish. 4.5/5

Overall, my least favorite among the bunch and only because the base beer, and fruit, seem to have lost to sourness & funk. Did too many cooks (bugs) ruin the broth? 3.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

From a bottle received in a trade.

A murky brown with shades of red results from he pour. Nothing too crazy forms on top and the result is no lace to speak of. Not a problem, though, with barrel aging and so forth. Aromas of tobacco, leather anwood dominate with maybe a hint of fruit. Taste is a pretty spot on regarding the nose and that's where it loses me. Consecration is definitely a quality brew but those tastes just aren't for me. A nice feel in the mouth with just enough carbonation to keep it lively.

Probably not something I'll come back to in the near future, but I can see the appeal and appreciate the quality that Russian River puts out.

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

This pours out as a pretty nice wine like Amber Red color. The head vanishes quickly after the pour and just leaves a thing white film on top of the beer. The smell is super tart smelling, very acidic like vinegar. The taste is of sour cherry and stomach acid similar to a Geuze Lambic. The after taste leaves a dry mouthfeel in the back of your tongue. It makes you want another sip but since I'm not into this style too much it's almost unwanted. The mouthfeel is similar to a red wine in my opinion. It's an awesome beer for those who like the Wild Sour Ales but it's just not for me.

3.61/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks again to treyrab and cooljosh for breaking this out at the tasting on night number two of the beer extravaganza weekend. This one was from Batch 2.

A: Deep clear and crisp ruby color, very dark. Thin small wisps of bubbles move upwards for a long time, popping as soon as they hit the surface, leaving no sign that they were ever there.

S: Sour and funky, but to my utmost disappointment, I can't make out a single note, no matter how subtle, of the red wine or the currants. Chocolatey in the in the background, but I can't get past the lack of fruits, dark or otherwise, in the flavor.

T: The taste starts off as tart which then gives in to a bitter dark chocolate character. The two flavor sensations seem to clash a bit, the sour and the bitter just don't jive to well on my pallet. Currants finally manifest themselves in the aftertaste, but it seems like too little too late. There is also a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

M/D: Highly carbonated, this beer tickles the tongue and presents a medium thicker texture than the lighter colored wilds. The alcohol can be felt somewhat, but the sourness is very good. I just wish there wasn't that chocolatey bitterness...it seems to take away from the funky sourness of the yeast strain. The beer is a bit too heavy for my wild taste, too.

BATCH 1: 10/2/10
Deep brown highlighted by mahogany and garnet. Creamy and foamy head with great retention. Lacing is impressive and full.

Very potent aroma of signature RR funk, a balanced pedio sourness, and a base of currants and dark fruits. On the palate, the funk is more pronounced, and the currants really shine. Hints of bitter dark chocolate also come through. This was much better than the mess of Batch1 that I tasted from the keg about a month ago.

Sourness puckers the tongue initially, but otherwise, it is smooth and silky, leaving a syrupy funky taste on the palate. Probably the best batch of Consecration that I have had.

3.63/5  rDev -17.7%

Part V of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I've had this one before, but having it at the end of this tasting makes it all the better.

Appearance is dark red with very little head. The smell is bourbon, cherries, vanilla, and raspberries. As good as the smell is, the taste is quite a letdown - lemons, sour grapes, slight biscuit, bitters, and booze; really though, none of these flavors meld into anything too good. The drinkability is fair, but the sourness and the overall blandness of the taste makes one glass of this beer just plenty.

3.65/5  rDev -17.2%

Ruby and brown body. Thin white head. Low carb.

Nose is bitter, smoky, fruity. I can smell that it has a high ABV.

Taste is boozy, bitter, tangy, fruity and complex. Interesting and somewhat woody.

Mouthfeel is dry and tart. Slightly astringent.

Drinkability is moderate, slightly drying. The bitterness limits drinkability somewhat.

3.65/5  rDev -17.2%

From the 03 batch

A - Very brown, small head with quick dissipation and no lacing. Slightly red, can see through, nice minimal bubble streams add a classy look to this one.

S - Currants, sweet, can defiantely smell the alcohol, almost phenolish. Deep oak on the end.

T - Currants on the front, goes very tart and just doesn't quit. Very dry.

M - Medium light, no carbonation, very dry.

D - Too tart and too much phenol like taste to drink a lot of. In all fairness this might be a better beer than I'm going to end up rating, but it was following two sweeter beers that were both amazing (NG Raspberry Tart and RR Temptation).

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company