Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,080 | Hads: 4,753
3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

Had a bottle of this the other night for a tasting. Pours a dark cola Burgundy into a Snifter, carbonation is clearly scene but not overwhelmingly. Minimal head retention with a small but nice amount of lace. The aromas coming form the beer are very complex, black currants, cherry's and Tobacco every so slightly. Was a mind opening taste for everyone at the tasting and actually for a couple people their first addiction. Taste is a sour that leaves your mouth a bit dry. Flavors of cherry's were dominate for me not others, with black currants and a hint of oak in the back ground. I am not a big fan of sours but this beer did well for being a sour and converted people in the tasting to sour lovers. Mouth feel is like drinking a very dry and tart wine and I wouldn't be surprised if some was used int he brewing. This type of beer is definitely a slow and sip drink, at least for me. It is a very interesting beer and would recomend anyone to give it a try at least once! (977 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -19.6%

A big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing this with me an several other BA's.

A: Pours a dark reddish/brown color. A small white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, and tart fruits. I don't get much else.
T: Very sweet and tart fruits. Kind of vinegary. Caramel apples. I enjoy the tartness, but overall there is not a lot here.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and perfectly carbonated. Not hard to drink, but not something I want to reach for again and again.

Not bad at all. I have had this many times, and it is about time to put my thoughts down. Very enjoyable, but Russian River have a lot better Wild Ales IMO. Still very much worth a try. (693 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance- light brown in color with little to no head or foam, only very small amount of bubbles to be seen slowly streaming

Smell- little bit of funk and tartness on the nose, currants, can really almost smell the tartness

Taste- you get a little bit of the wine and oak, also a little bit of the currant, but the predominant flavor is just strong sharp sourness, you really don't taste the alcohol at all but the funk and sour is strong,

Mouthfeel- very light and crisp, sour and tart feel, just very light and crisp

Overall/drinkability- while this beer was better then many of the other sours I have tried it still just is not my thing, i just simply don't get it, i can appreciate the complexity and strong flavors of this beer but to me these are just super hard to drink, i mean when i say this beer is sour its super super sour like lemonhead sour, certainly a unique experience but for me just not enjoyable really beyond the novelty (949 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours an opaque caramel color with no head. Tart apple and Belgian yeast aromas. Ok, so I'm not a wild fan at all. I mean, as much as I want to get it, I just don't. Have you ever picked up a sack of apples that have fallen off the tree? The sack was left outside all night. You went out the next late afternoon and picked them up. The movement stirred the honey bees inside. You stuck your head in the sack. This beer tastes like that apple sack smells. I do enjoy how after the beer disappears from the palate and I lick my lips, there's a sweet taste that, subsequently, appears on the tongue. I'm still developing my palate for the wilds. Bear with me. (656 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks for the trade Christian

Pours a very dark shade of brown, looks black in low light. A solid two fingers of very lively head rises up but falls quickly, leaving a thick persistent collar around my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is very mild funkiness, tart apples, caramel, grapes, a hint of oak barrel as well.

Taste is a mouth puckering mash of grapes, apple skin, strong oak presence, vinegar, caramel, and dirt. Very complex but the oak comes through a tad too much leaving a dryness on the palate that I don't care for. Medium bodied and like I said very dry. This is a very impressive beer but not really my cup of tea quite yet (still so/so about sours).

I will revisit this again next year and see if my opinion has changed. (733 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -18.5%

A huge thanks goes out to MadVermin who sent this as part of our trade! Seems a little short filled unfortunately.

Appearance - Much darker than the other Russian Rivers I've had. No head or froth upon pouring at all. The carbonation is hard to judge on this. Overall, an opaque deep red and brown color. Looks quite sweet and honestly a little flat.

Smell - A little sweeter side to the traditional sour smell of Russian River beers. Some light cherry and perhaps some other fruits as well. Light lemon in the distance. Definitely a heavy oak flavor all-throughout.

Taste - Sour and tart on the front. I immediately notice the translation of light cherries from nose to mouth. A fairly heavy lemon zest throughout; while retaining a certain amount of sweet fruit.The power of the lemon, ethanol, and carbonation are perhaps a little to much and cause some sort of upset in my throat. I very oddly taste chocolate in my mouth after the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - My initial response after my first drink was that this was a heavy-bodied beer. But it soon mellowed out to be pretty average-medium bodied. Sour and tart with a hint of sweetness. Heavy carbonation becomes clear upon my first drink. Slight sourness left on the lips. Nice to sip and enjoy. Ethanol is hidden quite well but stands out at times. I think I would prefer sanctification over this one. (1,372 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle. Bottled on 08/11/14. Enjoyed 02/22/15. I had heard nothing besides greatness about the Russian River Brewing Company, and with an interest in sours, I knew I had to try Consecration. Ended up scouting this guy out and shelling over $16 for a 375 ml bottle! Damn! The most expensive beer I have ever purchased to date (by far!).

A: Murky/turbid due to being fermented in the bottle. Amber to slightly purple color. Very nicely carbonated. Poured pretty foamy, but the head died off rather quickly.

S: First impression was a very strong alcohol smell followed by wine/currants. Light Cabernet aroma. Surprisingly to me, this beer doesn't pack whole lot of aroma.

T: Currants, oak, and wine were the first flavors I distinguished. You can definitely tell that this is aged in Cabernet barrels. Not very sour compared to other sour beers I have had before. Not overpowering at all. Sweet, but not too much so. Dry funky flavors pull their way though--I'm thinking it's the Brettanomyces. Dry finish. Champagne-like effervescence. Tamarind notes found in the aftertaste.

M: Leaves the tongue with a tannic feel. Must be from the barrel.

O: Overall, this beer is very dry, very oaky, very wine-like, lightly acidic, with a strong alcohol taste. I hate to sound sacrilegious, but this beer really didn't do it for me. It just wasn't what I was looking for. If I really wanted all of those wine flavors, I might as well have gone with wine. I have found a few Belgian sours to be more pleasurable and interesting to me, but it is obvious that many people get very excited about this beer, so I couldn't not recommend it. At this price point though, I think I'll be holding off for a while before reevaluating this interesting creation. (1,747 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip, small bottle carefully poured. Shared last weekend with SundaySour.

Batch: shamefully I forgot to note; it's always important!

A: Light brown sugar with a filmy head and no lacing. A solution of brown sugar and maple syrup. Looks very scotch like! Soft dark reds and lighter shimmering shades dominate.

S: Up front cherry skins and dried gojji berries. Wood acidity is prominent, but not too invasive. Fresh split raisins in dark cane sugars, not too sweet, and featuring a rapid dryness.

T: Acidic woods, red wine vinegars, and sprits of lime juice. A light lingering lime salt flavor with white citrus connective tissues, but not quite rinds. The currents really tang the finish, and bitter in the mouth. Each sip relieves astringency with refreshing sweetness.

M: Light flat body that has all its sensations overwhelmed by tartness. Not much here, flavor sensations thwart subtle mouth feels. Fairly wet in the mouth, light aspirin comes very late; leaves a bit of a cotton mouth.

O: I've had this a few times, and this wasn't the strongest showing. I wish I had made note of the batch as it was really quite a bit more acidic than I ever had before. This was my first time out of the bottle, but even then the youth of the wood and harshness of young currents pillaged the palate. This beer is much better in different batches, but I would say that the taste character is fairly the same. There was a bit more lime/vinegar than I'd like, as the flavors are already acidic and bold enough. By no means a crap or unexciting beer, but I dreamed of acidic remedies after this one. (1,621 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

375 ml Batch III poured into a snifter. "Consecration is a dark Belgian style ale aged in American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Not only do we use Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, & Pediococcus, we also add currants to beer while it is aging in the barrels"

Appearance: Clear and deep rust brown with a small, dark, "soda" head that fizzed away rather early and left no lacing whatsoever. 3/5

Aroma: Fruity with strongest notes of cherries and some currants with warmth. But the aroma, in my opinion, was eclipsed by intense, one-dimensional sourness. Decidedly funky nonetheless. 3.5/5

Taste: A clean and intensely sour beer, with minor hints of the base beer. Unfortunate, in my opinion. Wood is felt, but mostly mouth puckering sour, and that's it. Well, the funk is unmistakable, but for a sour brownish ale, Supplication was definitely better. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Like its other brethren, medium bodied, yet quite clean with a long, oaky finish. 4.5/5

Overall, my least favorite among the bunch and only because the base beer, and fruit, seem to have lost to sourness & funk. Did too many cooks (bugs) ruin the broth? 3.5/5 (1,130 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

From a bottle received in a trade.

A murky brown with shades of red results from he pour. Nothing too crazy forms on top and the result is no lace to speak of. Not a problem, though, with barrel aging and so forth. Aromas of tobacco, leather anwood dominate with maybe a hint of fruit. Taste is a pretty spot on regarding the nose and that's where it loses me. Consecration is definitely a quality brew but those tastes just aren't for me. A nice feel in the mouth with just enough carbonation to keep it lively.

Probably not something I'll come back to in the near future, but I can see the appeal and appreciate the quality that Russian River puts out. (658 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

This pours out as a pretty nice wine like Amber Red color. The head vanishes quickly after the pour and just leaves a thing white film on top of the beer. The smell is super tart smelling, very acidic like vinegar. The taste is of sour cherry and stomach acid similar to a Geuze Lambic. The after taste leaves a dry mouthfeel in the back of your tongue. It makes you want another sip but since I'm not into this style too much it's almost unwanted. The mouthfeel is similar to a red wine in my opinion. It's an awesome beer for those who like the Wild Sour Ales but it's just not for me. (587 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks again to treyrab and cooljosh for breaking this out at the tasting on night number two of the beer extravaganza weekend. This one was from Batch 2.

A: Deep clear and crisp ruby color, very dark. Thin small wisps of bubbles move upwards for a long time, popping as soon as they hit the surface, leaving no sign that they were ever there.

S: Sour and funky, but to my utmost disappointment, I can't make out a single note, no matter how subtle, of the red wine or the currants. Chocolatey in the in the background, but I can't get past the lack of fruits, dark or otherwise, in the flavor.

T: The taste starts off as tart which then gives in to a bitter dark chocolate character. The two flavor sensations seem to clash a bit, the sour and the bitter just don't jive to well on my pallet. Currants finally manifest themselves in the aftertaste, but it seems like too little too late. There is also a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

M/D: Highly carbonated, this beer tickles the tongue and presents a medium thicker texture than the lighter colored wilds. The alcohol can be felt somewhat, but the sourness is very good. I just wish there wasn't that chocolatey bitterness...it seems to take away from the funky sourness of the yeast strain. The beer is a bit too heavy for my wild taste, too.

BATCH 1: 10/2/10
4.5/4/4.5/4.5/4.5
Deep brown highlighted by mahogany and garnet. Creamy and foamy head with great retention. Lacing is impressive and full.

Very potent aroma of signature RR funk, a balanced pedio sourness, and a base of currants and dark fruits. On the palate, the funk is more pronounced, and the currants really shine. Hints of bitter dark chocolate also come through. This was much better than the mess of Batch1 that I tasted from the keg about a month ago.

Sourness puckers the tongue initially, but otherwise, it is smooth and silky, leaving a syrupy funky taste on the palate. Probably the best batch of Consecration that I have had. (1,970 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Part V of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I've had this one before, but having it at the end of this tasting makes it all the better.

Appearance is dark red with very little head. The smell is bourbon, cherries, vanilla, and raspberries. As good as the smell is, the taste is quite a letdown - lemons, sour grapes, slight biscuit, bitters, and booze; really though, none of these flavors meld into anything too good. The drinkability is fair, but the sourness and the overall blandness of the taste makes one glass of this beer just plenty. (577 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Ruby and brown body. Thin white head. Low carb.

Nose is bitter, smoky, fruity. I can smell that it has a high ABV.

Taste is boozy, bitter, tangy, fruity and complex. Interesting and somewhat woody.

Mouthfeel is dry and tart. Slightly astringent.

Drinkability is moderate, slightly drying. The bitterness limits drinkability somewhat. (337 characters)

From the 03 batch

A - Very brown, small head with quick dissipation and no lacing. Slightly red, can see through, nice minimal bubble streams add a classy look to this one.

S - Currants, sweet, can defiantely smell the alcohol, almost phenolish. Deep oak on the end.

T - Currants on the front, goes very tart and just doesn't quit. Very dry.

M - Medium light, no carbonation, very dry.

D - Too tart and too much phenol like taste to drink a lot of. In all fairness this might be a better beer than I'm going to end up rating, but it was following two sweeter beers that were both amazing (NG Raspberry Tart and RR Temptation). (631 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

I've had every single batch of this beer, multiple times. I am reviewing the latest batch (#5) here, but I will include a summary of all at the end.

A: Pours a clear maroon body with generous light beige head. It fills the glass and leaves some sticky rings of lace down the sides.

S: A good balance of cabernet barrels and currants. The bugs have done their work: funk is represented in a combination of leather and hay; the sourness is primarily lactic, though there is an afterthough of acetic acid. My main request here would be to bump up the brettanomyces presence. The sourness could (and probably will) develop with time, but the funk hasn't hit my desired level.

T: Cabernet grapes, a darker currant presence, and tannins. There's a mild undercurrent of earth and leather. It's also quite sour, with a dominant lactic presence and a touch of vinegar in the finish. This isn't as aggressively sour as batch 4; it has found a better balance. I can't say it's perfect, but to my palate, it is upper-tier.

M: A bit boozy, but that's accentuated by the vinegary finish (and it becomes especially prominent toward the end of the bottle). Unlike the last batch, this one doesn't produce a constant, undrinkable burn.

O: Batch 5 is an improvement over batch 4. I still think this beer is oscillating, and it peaked with batch 3, but this is a strong showing. I wish the bottles didn't have that slight price increase when they shrank sizes, but oh well. I've had a couple of bottles of this iteration, but I'll probably wait to see if the next one (or, judging by the pattern, batch 7) improves upon it.

Batch #1: by far the most vinegary. This was great in my early days; Consecration was my first sour and it was an immediate love affair. My tastes have changed since then; I don't think I'd like an acetic interpretation anymore. (4.9)

Batch #2: less sour than batch 1. The emphasis was on wine barrel, with a tannic and earthy flavor dominating. I was less enthused about this batch. (4.6)

Batch #3: this tastes like it was made for my palate. Lactic sourness with just a touch of acetic burn in the finish. Good balance of wine barrel to the fruit. Just lovely. (5.0)

Batch #4: really lactic, with initially a mild acetic burn, but it gets pronounced and overpowering by the end of a 375mL. Difficult to finish for one person. Wine-barrel heavy, with tannic, leathery, and earthy flavors coming out. Reminds me of a more sour batch #2. (3.6)

Batch #5: this is on the return path to greatness, though not quite there. Mild lactic sourness, a presence of acetic burn in the finish. Good, but not overpowering, incorporation of wine barrels. Currants are distinct. (3.9)

Batch #6: I lost my notes from when I had this.

Batch #7: This tastes like he's starting to dial in the recipe; it is similar to batch 5, but with less acetic burn. It has a dominant lactic sourness (though it is not palate-destroying or stomach-churning) with a huge buildup of tannic currant and grape skin in the finish. The barrel is really prominent here; the cabernet sauvignon is unmistakable, making the beer taste like a slightly soured wine. Good, not great. (3.63) (3,199 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -16.4%

Shared a 750ml bottle at DLD with friends. Opened up a 375ml since I vaguely remember it before.

A- Pours brown in color, maybe hints of red almost ruby depending on the light. Very little head to speak of though.

S- Very strong notes of vinegar, tartness. Tough to get much else through it. Maybe hints of cherry, but very little.

T- Follows the nose pretty close. Lots of tart, brett, sourness up front and throughout. There is maybe some fruit, cherry taste sprinkled in. The tartness dominates the other flavors though.

M- Medium body, low carbonation. Very acidic and works over your throat.

O- Lots of sourness. The one I had a DLD didn't seem to be as sour, but has some age on it. Wouldn't be able to drink another bottle of this in the same night. Always fascinated with sours like this, try to pull out more flavors, this one was tough to do though. (866 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle, batch 004x4. Sent to me by boatshoes. I was totally stoked to see this one in there.

A- The color of this beer is basically the same color as the label. The carbonation fizzes up a head violently fast. It doesnt even get done gathering before its gone. No lacing, no head, not even any bubbles. Thats not always a bad thing when it comes to a sour though, I suppose.

S- This is a good smelling beer though. Very acidic. Lots of vinegar that stings the nostrils. A healthy dose of horsey funk. A nice woodiness is also apparent. Red wine, currants and glue come in subdominately.

T- Quite sour. The phrase "ass puckering" has been going around this site since Overlord coined it. Its beers like this that keep that phrase alive. Very acidic, one of the more acidic beers Ive tasted. Again, a considerable amount of funk. Lots of old, beat up oak barrel, and cellar door. Tartness that is akin to very under ripe berries. Wow this is strong on wood (to write in a very stream of conscience manner). Vinegar, unripe plum skin. Pretty aggressive.

M- Very biting. Very dry. It leaves a grape juice acidity in the mouth as it strips your palate bare.

D- Very aggressive. I think I feel it trying to upset my stomach. I like it nonetheless. This beer will let you know what it thinks of you, and it doesnt think to highly of your attitude.

This beer in one word: Rancorous. (1,390 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Batch 007

Pours a dark ruby bordering on maroon. What little head there was dissipates right away. Not super inviting but I'm not at all familiar with sours.

Smell is very pleasing if you like wine. Smells much smoother than a mediocre bottle of cab (I'm talking cheap mediocre...not sommelier mediocre). I get a lot of oak and spicy notes. Dark fruit and funkiness.

Sourness is present right away and lingers well into the finish. In between there's bright and tart cherry. As it warms there are very nice oak notes that come out. Some tobacco.

Mouthfeel...The RR website tells me its full bodied but I would call it medium. The sourness may be throwing off my perception but that's how it seems to me.

Overall...Not my cup of tea. The beer might've been too young, and I don't know anything about aging sours or the style in general. It's not too harsh or intense. Just not pleasant to me. Gonna stick to PtE for now, but I'm glad I tried it. Any insight to sours is welcome through beermail. (1,000 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

One of the top rated sours in the country and I finally got one from my buddy Randy!

A - Rich burgundy color when poured but is a red-tinged brown color in the glass. Slightly cloudy from the yeast with a nice white head but subsides to nothing after a minute or two.

S - The smell is fruity and very complex. It is vinous with the currants and typical cab grape fruit notes. There is some alcohol, some fruit esters, and some soft Belgian character present. There is some sour and some oakiness but the dark fruit character is true.

T - The first sip just explodes with red wine vinegar! The sour makes you pucker from the front to the back of the palate. After the initial sour punch the complexities come out. There is a fruit character more like Cabernet and not as much like the currants. There is the sweetness of the malt, oak, and some Belgian character but it is very subtle in comparison to the strong sour character.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel with light carbonation. Like a sour soda that has fizz initially but dies down and for 10% ABV it is much more like a wine than a Belgian strong ale.

Overall, a very interesting beer. I was not expecting the full on sour, red wine vinegar, shock to my palate when I first cracked this open. It is a unique experience with a distinct sour and then sweet/complex nature. It is also very thin for what the base beer is and very much like a sour wine. I would not recommend this unless you like sours and have a heart for a bolder sour experience. I could see someone liking it but at an "rAvg: 4.5" I was expecting more flavor and less sour.

Glass- Tulip (1,616 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from bottle (batch005X2F) into snifter glass. Pours a deep reddish-orange-brown color with a small off-white head that dissipates, although there is some visible carbonation throughout. Aroma of sour lemon, tart cherries and other dark fruits (must be the currants), oak, vanilla, and some funk. Flavor of tart cherries and currants, sour lemon, tart apples, oak, vanilla, funk, and a hint of vinegar. The ABV is well masked here. Medium-bodied, with a sour mouthfeel and mellow carbonation. Complex, well-balanced, and interesting. I am not a big fan of sours, but am glad to have tried this one as well as the other RR sours! (634 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Batch 003x001

Pours an amber/brown but when held up to the light comes across as rose.

The smell is very complex with many wine like qualities. Smells sour, raisny, oak, and a slight chocolate background.

The taste is also pretty sour . Oak and age smooth the alcohol out very nicely and make it easy to sip.

This isnt a beer youd want to drink too fast, more so to just enjoy it through out a night and good dinner. I probably wouldnt buy this beer again though due to the high price but Im glad I got to try it once. (523 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours darker than a beet red, with a small cap of white foam.

S: Got some interesting cherry and wine notes, but wanted a bit more. Some chocolate in there too.

T: Heavy balsamic vinegar and wine character, almost had a rancid fruit characteristic, in a good way though. Fig and dark fruit notes. Not light on the funk. Sweetness comes out in the finish to the beer which I liked. Not the greatest flavour for me, but certainly interesting.

M: Upfront acidity, then the mouthfeel lightens up a bit, a little too thin at times.

D: An intriguing beer from Russian River. I don't think I liked it as much as everyone around me did, but I enjoyed trying it.

Edit - I've had this beer a few times since the original review, still not wowed, but I've found myself liking it more and more. Upping the taste score to a 4 (from 3.5). (854 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for this beer. Poured from a Batch 1 750ml corked & caged bottle into a Liefmans lambic glass.

A: "Mahogandy" (red/brown/burgundy) color with a fizzy head that dies down to nothing.

S: Currants and oak - exactly how the beer was meant to smell.

T: Currants and oak - exactly how this beer was meant to taste. I thought this was a little too sweet, a little sour, and a little medicinal.

M: Dry, vinous, and lots of carbonation.

D: Between the acetic value and ABV, I thought this was a little tough to get through by myself.

Overall, the Americans just can't keep up with the European lambic brewers. (631 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

375ml corked and caged bottle. Batch 005X2F...

A - Pours an amber/brown with a one finger tan head that dissipates almost immediately...

S - Smells of various fruits; cherries, green apples, and mixed berries. Don't detect any heat in the scent...

T - The cherries and mixed berries from the scent come through with a little oak. Ends on a tart note with some heat making an appereance. Abv is noticeable, but is not over the top. Very smooth and well ballanced...

M - Medium bodied with lots of carbonation...

O - Not my favorite style, but something I enjoy from time to time. Glad I finally tried this one. Solid example of the style, and something I will be definitely be picking up again...

Cheers... (711 characters)