Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,324
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Gary779

BlackWolfsburg

11-18-2011 02:49:37 | More by BlackWolfsburg
HURTemHIZZY

3.08/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a nice reddish brown that turns to a beautiful deep ruby when held in front of a light. Almost no head is present, but a bit of lacing is left behind. The carbonation is easily visible, and never dies down by the time the beer is finished.

Smells solid. Sour up front, with a hint of oak and some different fruits (can't pick out which fruits specifically from the nose.)

Taste just isn't up to par with the smell or the expectations. I will say that this is only my second sour, with the supplication I had two days earlier my first. The supplication was absolutely incredible, and is probably my favorite beer now. This one, though, just doesn't do it for me. The sourness doesn't take up enough of the fruity characteristics and instead reminds me almost of pure vinegar. There is a slight fruity sweetness to it which saves it from being really bad, but the vinegar flavor is too prominent to make it anything more than average. I really wanted to like this one as much as supplication, but it just wasn't even close. Real disappointment.

Batch 003x1.

05-25-2010 04:46:20 | More by HURTemHIZZY
Risser09

3.08/5  rDev -31.3%

375ml poured into a flute - fridge - batch 004x4

Appearance: Pours a dark red, but mostly brown color with absolutely no head. This might be a bad bottle. It is a little cloudy but shows no other signs of life.

Smell: Medicinal, cabernet, currant and not much else. I suppose there is a little bit of tobacco.

Taste: Sticky sweet but also sour and acidic. A tart taste of currant and other dark fruits is met with that typical cabernet taste. Some wood and plenty of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very unlively, with no carbonation, but lots of flavor and wine inspiration. Medium to heavily bodied. Tart, acidic, sweet and woody.

Drinkability: This beer had so much hype around it that it pains me to begrudge it so much. It needs more attention to detail. Head, head retention, aroma, mouthfeel all need to be seriously reconsidered before releasing to the public. I feel like this beer was sold just to get it out of the brewery for some $$$.

08-08-2010 01:45:31 | More by Risser09

JWalterWeatherman

06-20-2014 22:02:01 | More by JWalterWeatherman
BDLbrewster

3.3/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a deep crimson hued plum color with a very small bright purple head. Very little retention and chunky, slippery lacing. Amazing colored brew.

The smell is more vinous than anything. There is a strong concord grape driven smell up front with a fairly reserved funk. I'm liken this to a funky welches grape juice. I enjoy that the oak is not a dominating odor.

The flavor is loaded with grape, current and plums. There is a firm acidity reminiscent of white wine vinegar that covers up a lot of the underlying funk. The funkiness starts to emerge more as the puckering subsides. Once again there is a very vinous quality to this brew. There is no hint in the taste that Consecration sits at a hefty 10%.

The mouthfeel is very light and the carbonation ample and vibrant. There is a lactic thickness on the back end, but the acidity helps to cover and keep it light feeling.

Overall, I feel this brew lacks a complexity that I like in a wild. I enjoy this brew immensely, but this 750 is going to be a chore to polish off.

11-09-2009 02:09:59 | More by BDLbrewster
psuKinger

3.33/5  rDev -25.7%

500 mL bottle, corked and caged, split with my buddy Griff and poured into my two belgian Petrus snifter glasses. Review done from my notes from last night.

A: Pours a murky-brown color with an off-white head that dissipated quickly.

S: The nose is of pure sweetness and funk.

T: Tart fruits and sourness. Lots and lots of sourness. I'm trying to pick up on other things here... pick out certain types of tart fruits, but I'm struggling. Maybe some very mild cherry, but it's tough to tell as this is just overwhelmingly sour to me.

Taste also has a vinegar-red-wine sourness that you get if you open up a bottle of red, don't finish it, put it in your refrigerator for a week or so, then take it back out and drink it.

I will say this, the 10% ABV is very hidden here. I don't pick up on any alcohol presence at all.

M: This beer finishes sour. I'm not sure what else to say about this.

D: It was fun to try... a lot of fun to try. But it's not terribly drinkable for me. I wouldn't have wanted another one that night, and I don't think I would be interested in trying it again until some time passes. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never try it again, just not anytime in the next several weeks.

12-20-2010 15:20:51 | More by psuKinger
beagle75

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev -25.2%

On-tap at Tustin Brewing Company; a ten-ounce serving poured into a Chimay goblet.

A: Clear, reddish-amber color with a small amount of white head that quickly diminishes to a patchy residue and ring of foam.

S: Weak ascetic odor with slight urea. While it sounds repulsive, the overall mildness of the smell keeps it from being overpowering.

T: Taste begins very sour and also fruity. The taste of wine is diminished and blends well with the other flavors of currants and stone fruits. An aftertaste rapidly sets in consisting of strong, assertive oak and bready yeast. The flavor of the yeast is noticeable in every sip and I find myself looking forward to it--not what I expected to find in this beer. There is no flavor of alcohol detectable.

M: Viscosity is thin but not watery or distracting. Moderate carbonation could be less, as it seems to exhaust the palate by the end of the serving.

D: This beer is truly a challenge, both in terms of alcohol content as well as flavor. It is most similar to another Russian River sour, Supplication. Neither drinks as easily as some other American-brewed sour brown ales such as The Bruery's Oude Tart or Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja. Be warned before you open a large bottle of this beer for yourself--you would have to love sours unconditionally to enjoy all 750 ml.

06-17-2010 23:22:36 | More by beagle75
drcarver

3.38/5  rDev -24.6%

I am not a huge fan of sour ales. Let's start with that.

A - pours medium brown with a small head. Head recedes leaving little lacing on down and some traces down the side.

S - sweet smell of wine dominates. grapes and tanins with little alcohol at the end.

T/M - overwhelmingly sour throughout though sweet at the front. bits of fruitiness. a leathery taste towards the back. leaves a steel like feel to the tongue but have a clean finish.

O - its sour alright.

08-11-2011 18:50:14 | More by drcarver
hwwty4

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRC1313 for leaving this at my house after a pretty profound Saison tasting.

Poured a new 375ml into my Dogfish Head snifter. Fairly positive its the first batch in the new 375's but I have already recycled the bottle without looking at it. This beer pours a prune brown with just a hint of a tan head that leaves no lacing. Very little carbonation leaving no bubbles. The aroma is extremely fruity. Tart organic cherry juice with prunes and dates mixed with just a hint of fresh oak. It terms of tartness, most of it seems to coming from a lactic twang. The flavor is much the same. Sour cherry juice dominates the flavor profile. Hints of fig and date come thorough behind the cherry. Oak comes through at the very tail of the profile. Major lactic acid presence. It really feels one dimensional. This is really one of those beers that no matter how dirty your teeth are, they come out feeling clean. The mouthfeel is very full for a sour. Really enjoyable. It really feels full on the palate and finishes extremely dry. Great. I've been lucky enough to have every batch of Consecration. While it is a good beer, I dont think its in the realm of Russian Rivers other sours or in the top echelons of American Wilds.

Serving type: growler

10-13-2010 02:22:16 | More by hwwty4
BZero007

3.45/5  rDev -23%

Had a bottle of this the other night for a tasting. Pours a dark cola Burgundy into a Snifter, carbonation is clearly scene but not overwhelmingly. Minimal head retention with a small but nice amount of lace. The aromas coming form the beer are very complex, black currants, cherry's and Tobacco every so slightly. Was a mind opening taste for everyone at the tasting and actually for a couple people their first addiction. Taste is a sour that leaves your mouth a bit dry. Flavors of cherry's were dominate for me not others, with black currants and a hint of oak in the back ground. I am not a big fan of sours but this beer did well for being a sour and converted people in the tasting to sour lovers. Mouth feel is like drinking a very dry and tart wine and I wouldn't be surprised if some was used int he brewing. This type of beer is definitely a slow and sip drink, at least for me. It is a very interesting beer and would recomend anyone to give it a try at least once!

03-18-2009 02:26:49 | More by BZero007
Airyk12

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brown with a slight ruby tint. No head to speak of.

Smells tart, followed by fruit; cherries and currants, with strong vinegar.

Taste definitely follows the nose, with strong fruitiness and vinegar tartness. Too much brett... Hints of cherries and currants, but mostly vinegar. Alcohol noticeable, but not strong at all.

Highly acidic feel, with some carbonation. Not too smooth, but that's a sour for you.

After all the hype, including the price, I was unimpressed. I was expecting an eye-opening sour experience, and I got what I consider an average experience. Maybe some more aging would have improved it; I don't know. Just underwhelming all around.

05-04-2011 08:12:01 | More by Airyk12
Devi0us

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

04-15-2012 01:07:52 | More by Devi0us
Blanco

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

amber brown color with a thin white head. no lacing whatsoever. Head fades to nothing rather quickly. smell is capital Potent of funky sourness. I don't know how to describe the taste, but it's intensely sour, with dark fruit notes. zingy mouthfeel.

overall: the lesser of all the RR sours, but still not bad. price was $22 a bomber (Batch 3) which is much lower than prices for others.

03-20-2011 02:42:29 | More by Blanco