2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,155 | Reviews: 1,004 | Show All Ratings:
laituegonflable

Australia

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a murky, Hellish red colour, brown mostly but with an ominous red tinge. Modest beige head sinks to a rim at the top. Lace is fairly nice, sticky sheets but not very clingy. Bit of cloud in the body. Nice colour, otherwise fairly impressive.

Lots of character on the nose - mostly sweet, with lots of fruit, berries and currants on there. A very sweet, almost creamy character comes up behind, a bit of caramel sweetness, some light toffee and some light milk chocolate notes. Also on there is funk, a hint of leather, pongy brie, barnyard animal notes. Lots of oak as well, and even some vanilla. Funk is slight - just a nice whisper lingering at the back of the nose, which is not just very nice - it's divine in fact. Superbly complex but balanced, just gives a lot without demanding. Incredible.

Taste is sour all over that. Starts off quite acidic, with a sharp citric twang to it, and the flavour of that continues to the mid without ever going overboard and being puckering, or painful. It's almost like the mid is 'cut off' by the flavour of the currants, which comes through fairly late but just in time it seems to clip off the puckering sourness. Really impressive effect with tart, underripe berries on the front, really seems painful, then a sweet-but-tart currant character and plenty of rich, fruity flavours on the back - prunes and currants and a big brandy alcohol warmth. Hints of oregano and other mixed herbs as well complete a really excellent, interesting palate profile. It gives you all the power of the funk but without the intensity or harshness. A challenging brew, but very, very enjoyable.

Slick and dry on the feel, really. Lots of body but never thick or syrupy, goes down well and although the puckering flavour is so expertly cut off, the sensation is still there, and the mouth feels a little sucked dry at the end. Good for the style though.

An excellent, extremely thirst-quenching, interesting, pleasant, beer. I could go on. An excellent choice to be my #500 review.

02-12-2010 05:04:44 | More by laituegonflable
webmanspidey

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Excited to finally try this one... I've had this aging for about a year.

This is a corked 750 mL bottle poured into a large snifter. A dark translucent ruby red color, initially very fizzy and well carbonated with around an inch of head. The head dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell is a sour and tart mix of cranberries, cherries, roses, and lemon.

A really powerful taste in this one. Cranberries and lemon are the dominant flavors to me, but also has some smoky flavors, rose petals, currants, wine, and vinegar-like acids. Alcohol blends in so well here it is very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy and well carbonated. Awesome drinkability.

This had a lot of hype around it and lived up to my expectations. Delicious and interesting.

04-04-2010 23:48:40 | More by webmanspidey
STEG

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A big thanks to enelson for this one. Poured a plum mahogany color into a tulip, one finger khaki head that recedes quickly. Smell is currants and raisins up front with slight tobacco notes and some sour apple in there too really wonderful complex stuff. Taste is wonderful, sour, but not too sour it could be compared to sour plum juice with brett there really is too much complexity here to identify. Mouthfeel is light and slightly oily. Very little alcohol presence makes this extremely drinkable.

07-17-2010 23:39:04 | More by STEG
stonelis

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap. deep dark red in color. First taste was a blast of sour cherry. Carbonation was a bit odd, kind of like a mellow champagne. citrus, lemon. This beer was just amazing as it warmed there was flavors of oak, rum, brandy. This beer is a real treat for the taste buds, sensations of all types. A slightly sour finish. My wife even liked this one and she hates beer!

08-23-2010 21:25:19 | More by stonelis
deapokid

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Tried on tap at Monk's "Speakeasy" on Wednesday 8/18. Review from notes.

This highly sought after sour pours a reddish brown with amber hues and an impossibly deep body. Carbonation is modest, as is the head and lacing. Takes on a bronzy red wine vibe when held to the light. It's incredibly attractive and arousing.

Aromas are a Sour Patch Kids fan's dream come true. Vinegar, tart berry, a blanket of musk and a whiff of a brown ale's buttery notes are equally on display. The whole package is striking, as is the profound blast of sour that stings the nose from first sniff.

Flavor is like biting into a Warhead hard candy (in the best way). Face puckering sour cherries, Belgian brown ale malt, an oakey wood barrel musk and the fruity sweetness of a Flanders Red all perfectly round out the flavor.

This is the best of the style (in my humble opinion) and I think the delicate balance is the reason. It moves so smoothly from tart blast to malt to musk without ever losing focus or leaning on the sourness as a crutch.

It's also criminally easy to drink for its bombastic 10%. It's even easier to consume on tap and (after trying it at a bar and from a bottle) it just feels so vibrant and flavorful right from the keg.

A must try!

08-25-2010 04:06:28 | More by deapokid
Cmack15

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

appearance: deep mahogany color

aroma: malty sweetness, yeasty, oak notes

taste: starts with the malty sweetness that fades into the sour but not funky clean and crisp, tart

mouthfeel: light carbonation and light body

wow just a superb beer one mof my all time faves. The 10% abv is well hidden I could see this being a session beer but it is not, because you need to savor it

cheers

05-01-2011 16:34:41 | More by Cmack15
themind

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If you like Cabernet Sauvignon this beer is for you! Looks awesome period! mouth watering. The aroma is an amazing wine, sour mix. The taste is the best BA wine brew I have ever had. I truly feel this beer is incredible. It's like an awesome beer and wine were mixed perfectly. A top notch, World Class beer that the brewmasters at RR should be proud of. I would buy this again in a second. Just wow! awesome beer!

Bottom Line: Amazing beer period! the only bad part is I am an IPA fiend!

11-01-2013 03:24:33 | More by themind
PeprSprYoFace

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Grabbed some bottles of this from my local supplier La Bodega. Thanks for carrying some sweet stuff in a beer wasteland such as Riverside.

Poured into my Russian River Barrel aged snifter. Pours a nice looking dark brown with a thick tan head that dissapated to about 1/4" and stayed there. Not alot of sticky lacing though.

Smells of alot of bret funk with tart cherries and some oak. Smells like this is gunna be awesome.

Taste is wonderful hands down best sour I have had so far. You can really taste the wine notes from the barrels and the oak and bret mixed with the malts is sublime. Wonderful

Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. Couldn't ask for more.

Drinkability is high and usually I can't drink that many sours in a row but I could drink the entire 750 by myself but I'm being nice and sharing it with a buddy. Glad I bought a couple.

02-19-2009 07:15:16 | More by PeprSprYoFace
rye726

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to our friends at Russian River for their amazing beers to Colorado.

Consecration pours a rich redwood color and holds a silky tan head. Excellent lace and retention.

The nose is quite complex with spicy alcohols, funky farmyard yeast, tart currants, oak, bourbon, vanilla, cabernet grapes, and musty soil.

The taste is a superbly balanced blend of cabernet, ripe grapes, sour currants, oak and an earthy funk.

Body is refreshing yet full and a crisp carbonation enhances the vast variety of flavors. Nice dry finish. I could enjoy this ale any time.

02-27-2009 04:36:26 | More by rye726
ccrida

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

750ml bottle (batch 001X3) poured into my large St. Feullien goblet (I was gonna go with one of the Russian River glasses, but they're all pretty ugly and none of them have the nucleation etching like this one), Consecration is a brilliant ruby with an off-white head that is pretty quick to settle to a thick skim, leaving light lace.

Smell is vinous, tart dark berries, caramel, not overly rich, even at cellar temp, but very nice. The constant crackle keeps it lively and enticing without overwhelming.

Taste is very nice. Immediately it reminds me of Oerbier Special Reserve, probably my favorite beer of all time. Which makes it all the harder for me to overlook that fact that I buy that for few less dollars for an equal volume, and that it comes from drastically further distance from a brewery that ages it for at least an extra year or so before release. Still, value is not a factor in taste, and on that accord there are very few that pale. Like most Flanders style beers, especially the stronger ones, I really wish I'd had this with the massive rib eye au poivre I had earlier, rather then splitting the Shiraz with my wife. Consecration is more overtly fruity (then the De Dolle), and is not that funky, although it's obviously pretty young, but is nevertheless fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium light, a crisp creamy carbontion, with just enough maltiness to keep it from being to thin. Very digestible, and the coating of the tannins on the mouth is pleasant and really ties in the wine barrel aging.

Drinkability is high, as this is about as good as it gets for me taste wise. My only ding is the cost, in that comparable beers in it's class (the aforementioned De Dolle, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien, etc...) are quite a bit less, and they all come from another continent, not a days drive south of me. Still, this is a masterful beer that I'm glad to see will be somewhat regularly available, demanding a high proportion of my beer budget until they ramp up and price down! In fact, the more I contemplate this beer, the more impressed I am, perhaps one of the best I've ever had - again, only the De Dolle being on par. Wow, this beer is just an incredible mind blower. As I worked though it, I had to bump it up to a 5, in spite of the price, because it was just so dang good, in spite of the young age!

Edit - I had to pop an 06 Oerbier Special Reserve to compare with the last glass of the Consecration, these notes are all from the perspective of the De Dolle:

a-much larger head, more lace, duller, murky body
s-much drier, more mineral, bright
t-less complexity, more (very clean) alcohol, less depth, more wood, less tannins. RR is fruitier, DD is earthier, and has less depth.
m-a bit less carbonation but still hanging strong, lighter, drier.
d-good, but I'm shocked to see I prefer the RR in the shootout. The oakiness is a bit much, it hasn't gotten overly funky like I'd hope with the age, and the depth doesn't match the RR. I like a sweeter beer, or more sour, but the aged DD reminds me of the disappointing 05 Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien I had on xmas eve, which was also over oaked and not that sour.

03-08-2009 08:18:34 | More by ccrida
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours from caged and corked 750 ML bottle(Batch 001X2) a clear amber brown with a very spritzy head of foam. When it's spritzy, I know it's not going to last very long and it didn't. The bubbles surfacing to the top are keeping a small island afloat, so to speak. Hehe..the foam reminds me of pixels on a computer screen...

The smell is just as I remember from the samples I had at last year's GABF...Cabernet Sauvignon notes dominate with big notes of vanilla and oak and fruit that *is* currants. I love red currants on buttered toast and the smell here totally reminds me of that.

The taste is deliciously both sweet and tart up front. Maybe a bit more intense than I remember from the 1 oz samples but hey, I love that it is and I love the fact that I now have 25.4 oz, give or take a few as I've just taken a few sips, to take my time with and savour. The foam is now gone but I can still see the lively carbonation throwing up....errr...tossing...err..the bubbles are still making their way to the top nearly smack damn in the center of the glass.
Back to the taste. I'm now getting a pretty big kick from the Brett(sorry, I have a hard time spelling it out) and I'd be amiss if I didn't say there's a fair amount of caramel malt here, hence my first sentance on taste. Gee wiz this is so damn tasty and there's so much going on with the flavours, I can't describe them all properly.

Medium mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation, a plus in my book, it finishes with big sour and Brett notes. Wonderful!

Drinkability? 10%abv and I cannot taste it or feel it during or after the swallow. No warming for me at all but I *know* that when I finish this big bottle, I'll feel that all is right with the world, if that makes any sense. ;^)

Bottom line: A superb! American Wild Ale that I fell in love with from my very first sip. A must try for anyone who favours the style!

Finally..a big Thank You goes out to The Wine Underground in Englewood CO for making this available online!

03-08-2009 18:12:02 | More by Bitterbill
peabody

Kentucky

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours out a dark reddish clear brown with one finger of white suds and lots of lacing.
Smell is just the best. Sour grape and cherry and dewberry and a slight lemon zest. Something in the back like a sweet soad pop. Grape?
Bubbley wine and vinegar sugar in a complex malt.
This one is over the top. Can't tell it's a
10%er. Burst of lemon and dry candy sour green apple candy and a very strong raspberry/grape sourness. The cab and the wood really come through.
Mouthfeel is just perfect. Clean enough and dirty at the last. The aftertaste lasts and lasts.
Drinkablilty is great here. I love this. Perfect.

03-21-2009 23:00:18 | More by peabody
SidVicious619

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured this one into a Tulip Glass that looked like Dark Raspbeery rust with an off white head lacing and some sticky foam. Big fruit nose you wouldn't believe from the currant. notes of tart cherries, esters and red wine. I'm a Gueuze fan so the Sourness hit the spot. Flavors of Sour Cherries, oak, funk and some dry hops is in the background. Feels like a lightly carbonated red wine which made every sip one to remember. Hats off to Russian River!

06-11-2009 05:43:22 | More by SidVicious619
brentk56

Batch 002x01

Appearance: Pours a tawny brown with, dare I say it, currant highlights; the beer opened with an explosive sound and, though I feared a gusher, it poured with a nice head that dissipated rather quickly, leaving the occasional splotch of lace

Smell: Sour balsamic vinegar, toned down with sweeter elements of cherries, currants and a massive quantity of oak and leather

Taste: Starts out sweet but puckery with developing sour fruit flavors of currants, figs, green apples and tart cherries as well as leather, cocoa and loads of horseblanket; after the swallow, the wood really comes through to complement the potpourri of flavor into the long, persistent finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, silky smooth, with a puckering mouthfeel but relatively low carbonation

Drinkability: A stunningly bold achievement; may be the best thing Russian River produces

01-23-2010 20:08:05 | More by brentk56
ptykozoon

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

The cork comes off with a very small pop. I can smell the magic already as it is very pungent. Pours a lovely dark cranberry red, disappointingly however no head on this particular bottle.

Smell is strong, complex and inviting; wine, cherries & other fruits, a dessert sweetness and a touch of oak.

This is probably my favorite sour as of now and arguably my favorite beer. Im getting the aforementioned smells, which all work together just perfectly. Balance is immaculate, with the sweetness outweighing the sour by just a tad. Absolutely unbelievable taste, words can't do justice. Pricing is usually $12 for a small bottle which is quite a bit but I'd pay Vinnie whatever he asks of me. Taste is always the most important category to rate and this deserves no less than a perfect score.

Mouthfeel on this particular bottle is less than exceptional as the carbonation is lackluster, however I don't believe this to be the norm, as usually the corks explode rather nicely. Even without the added benefit of carbonation this brew still feels incredibly solid in the mouthfeel dept. It literally is the perfect density, not to light or to heavy. Aftertaste is godly; which is unbelievable for a sour, notorious to have you running for a glass of water.

Drinkability is off the charts, I'll drink this 10% beer all day anyday. Bravo.

08-20-2010 04:07:29 | More by ptykozoon
eclaycamp

Kansas

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I've had the opportunity to have this on three separate occasions. Once at GABF, and twice at home with some bottles I was able to find while out there. The beer at first is unassuming. It pours a cloudy, hazy, mahogany with a small, tiny head. Then you smell it. Smell is oaked funk. Very sour, with a sufficiently huge aroma. First taste is an explosion on the tongue, with a huge sour note exploding outwards midway through the first taste. Wow. That's really all I can say. Must be tasted to be believed. The standard bearer for sour beers. . Pliny gets all the press but this beer deserves all the accolades - and more. Most assuredly up there with my favorites of all time.

04-08-2011 23:26:18 | More by eclaycamp
alaimoa

Connecticut

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours a deep red with very little head that doesn't linger for more than a few seconds. Definitely has a unique smell of raisin, Cabernet wine, champagne and sour dark fruits like prunes or dates. Initial taste is one of a rolling bubble champagne but complex taste where I really got some of the red wine flavors. Overall very delicious and a fairly heavy hitter for a wild on the alcohol content.

05-26-2013 18:18:52 | More by alaimoa
steadydose

Batch 001x2

Cork removed with a good pop, which let some mist out of the bottle along with scents of fruits.

A: Poured into an oversized tulip wine glass. Beer is amber/brown, with reddish highlights. High clarity. Khaki head dissipates quickly, no lacing stays on glass as beer disappears.

S: Initial smell was that of cherries. More sour than sweet most of the time. Lots of oak with just a touch of funk. As the beer opens up and warms 20 minutes later, more aromas of sweetness are present. My final glass from the bottle smelled even better with cabernet scents surfacing. Bottle says currants were used in this beer. I have never had currants knowingly, but I'm guessing there like cherries. Overall, impressive.

T: Sour cherries dominate, oak is present throughout. The cherries/ currants are sour most of the time, but the sweetness is almost there, almost noticeable, but never really makes its way completely. Beer is perfectly tart and acidic, Alcohol is hidden well. Long finish for a beer. Is this beer still?, or a beer wine hybrid. Lots of complexity and layers to this beer, which got better over the course of the bottle. Amazing.

M: High carbonation which contributed to a thicker body and mouthfeel. I enjoyed the amount of carbonation in this one. Clean finish.

D: Consecration is an amazing beer. Highly drinkable. I can not wait to have another bottle of this stuff, and see how it evolves with some cellaring.

03-06-2009 15:22:05 | More by steadydose
popery

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

What can I say? It's incredible. I'm going to strictly edit myself in this review, so I don't get too gushy. Giving two 4.5's feels wrong, and the five in flavor seems a bit low. At any rate, the beer pours a translucent auburn with nice lacing. There are notes of red wine, currants (of course), cherries, malt and a wonderful sour like an incredible vinegar. The flavor is similar. The sour bites nicely. There's actual malt presence behind all of the fruit and sourness. The fruit flavors are refined and elegant. The whole thing is a wonderful experience. I can't imagine how they could improve on this flavor profile. The sourness blends with the fruit and malt at just the right level. There's also a dry oak flavor that keeps any possible sweetness in check. It drinks like a beer with half as much alcohol content. Bravo to everyone at Russian River.

06-12-2009 06:31:28 | More by popery
roadhouse

750ml bottle (thanks to route66pubs!) into a 22 oz. brandy snifter

Pours a deep ruby red color with a one inch off-white head. It falls down to a half inch cap which holds up very well. No lacing is left behind though.

Aroma is full of wonderful funk, sour like green apples, currants definitely come through but blend in with a general dark fruit character. Oak is also slightly noticeable.

Taste is sour from the start but there is actually a very slight sweetness in the back that plays very well with the sour. Lots of dark fruit character as well, currants come through again. Some funk and vinegar, but it's mostly pleasant sourness. Oak comes out in the finish. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is light in body due to a nice dryness. Silky going down with nice soft but effervescent carbonation. Very easy to drink.

By far the best sour that I've had the pleasure of drinking. Even better or equal to the Belgian sours. If you enjoy sours, then you absolutely must seek this one out.

06-13-2009 03:22:58 | More by roadhouse
botham

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

liter bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. pours a chestnut brown color with one finger of loose eggshell colored head. poor retention and no lacings.

aroma is mildly sour with dark fruits and notes of cherry, passionfruit and currants. the sour note is mildly vinous with a bit of funk mixed in. the fruit is subtle, but mixes in nicely with the overall profile. the sour character gets more pronounced as the beer warms.

taste is of a vinegar-like sourness with fruit close behind. raspberries, cherries, passionfruit and currants are all present. no alcohol shows, which is good for 10% APV. the brew is lightly effervescent, and just sour enough to sustain the fruit character.

mouthfeel is medium bodied and mildly tart in texture. the brew finishes on a tart ntote with residual berries and currants. nicely proportioned on the palate. the sourness is just strong enough to keep the palate honest.

drinkability is excellent. prefectly proportioned on the palate with a wonderful fruit bouquet and mildly vinous finish that works magic on the palate. this beer is phenomenal. it dances on the palate with a sour character that enhances the drinkability. cheers!

08-20-2009 14:22:33 | More by botham
Sechavar

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Got a bottle of Batch 1 (involuntary response) from Hi Times in Costa Mesa, CA. Smelled like currant jam and a little bit of balsamic vinegar had been smeared right on my upper lip, and I eagerly awaited licking it off. Poured like juice, slightly viscous, thin syrup, like from canned fruit. Little to no head. Tastes like (involuntary response) currants picked at the peak of perfection, crushed by the feet of nubile virgins. And I was licking their feet, gratefully, smacking my lips, licking my lips, leaving it in my mouth just to tease to see how long I could go without swallowing it. When it was finished, I was a little tipsy and begging for more.

10-15-2009 03:38:07 | More by Sechavar
IrieJackalope

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent trip out to the RR brewpub in Santa Rosa. $22/bottle, but after trying a few glasses of the stuff at the pub I knew it was well worth the price.
I poured it into my Russian River goblet and was greeted by the tangy smell of Brett and the other wild yeast that Russian river uses to make their sours pack the punch they do. The color is deep, deep red, almost purple. Aromas of sour fruit, currents mainly, waft from the glass. The taste is just as lively and tangy as the smell, perhaps even more so. There's also a good deal of wine flavors here, in addition to the yeast and fruit elements. Surprisingly drinkable for a ten percent beer. This was the beer that made me fall in love with sours, and every time I drink it the moth puckering sensation reminds me of why I will never look at beer the same way again. This is an absolute must for sour fans, and highly, highly recommended for adventurous souls looking to break away from the usual.

03-21-2010 04:49:40 | More by IrieJackalope
Ambiorix

Kentucky

375 ml bottle.

A: Brown pour, ruby highlights, thin, off-white to tan head faded pretty quick but left decent lace.

S: Funky, sour, lactic tang, dark fruit, black currant, cask wood. A huge nose with the promise of great things to taste.

T: Incredibly sour, tangy, oaky. Black currant, dark, bready malt, barnyard, brett bitterness, lacto tanginess, vinous, tobacco leaves.

M: Highly carbonated, satisfying. The carbonation balances the intense sourness well.

D: Incredible. Amazing. Easily rivals anything brewed in Belgium. Brewing brilliance at its finest. I wish it were more widely available.

12-26-2010 16:58:09 | More by Ambiorix
tony223366

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

From my beer journal. Reviewed on October 18, 2011.

A: Really dark brown amber body. Nice head at first, but it quickly went away. Gorgeous looking beer.

S: Really rich aroma. Cherries and dark fruits followed by the distinct tartness. Oak characters interplay throughout.

T: Rich malts turn quickly over to cherries then right to lactic sourness. Finishes earthy and tannic. Really long finish that just works.

M: Medium body with lots of carbonation.

O: Infinitely drinkable. I have absolutely no idea where these ABVs are hiding. Looked down and it was already half gone. Wish it wasn't so expensive because this is one of my favorite beers of all time.

10-20-2011 07:04:43 | More by tony223366