Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,096 | Hads: 4,852
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer has a champagne like quality to it. Very effervescent. Black currants come through with a deep tart berry character. Nice sour, but once is enough for me.

2.5/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I think I must have gotten a bad bottle because this tasted like old cork and vinegar. Definitely this bottle has been oxidized and stored improperly in some way (or perhaps sat on a warm loading dock too long)

4.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle obtained in a trade and poured into a snifter. Pours a slight amber color with minimal head.Nice aromas of cherries and Ruby Port. The taste is very complex with cherries and funk. The flavors are quite interesting. The feel is smooth and somewhat sour. This is a fascinating beer and easy to drink despite the higher ABV. Cheers!

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep red with brown tones in the thicker part of the glass. Surprisingly clear when held to the light. Tan head is nice at the pour, but subsides quickly. Aromas of Cherry, currant, caramelized sugar, raspberry, oak, cabernet, ... flavor is the same but adds just enough malty sweetness, balsamic, leather, tobacco, citrus, earth, vanilla and maybe a touch of cocoa.. not extremely sour, but very complex and drinks like 7% rather than 10% ABV. Mouthfeel is on the med-light side with high carbonation, but coats your tongue with lacto and pedio goodness. Overall I could drink this every day with a steak and be a happy camper. A+

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle pour into a shaker pint glass.

I've been excited about this beer for a couple of months; I bought one one a trip to SF in early September and wanted to let it age a little longer.

The color is nice, a dark amber with a decent sized head. There are definitely cabernet notes to the aroma. The taste is heavily influenced by the cabernet barrels. I get hints of the wine, and there is definitely a note of the wood in there.

I love the idea of a dark sour, and this is stellar in flavor. It is incredibly tangy with just a hint of sweetness. The refermenting in the bottle has made Consecration very effervescent; it's so bubbly it stings my mouth a bit!

Overall, a top notch sour.

3.96/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured out of the bottle into a Belgian style tulip glass. I have been aging this beer in my cellar for 8 months and finally opened this weekend. Pours a deep brown with deep red hues. Smell was very pungent which over powered the taste of the beer....which had some complex layers of currant, oak and napa cab. I have had many sours from russian river and I think this was my least favorite of them all.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown with red and orange hues. Definitely get oak and red wine character on the aroma with currants and some citrus. Oak jumps out on the taste which I like and I'm surprised how prominent the dark fruits are considering this is a year old. Lots of wine flavor with dry finish with lots of oak tannins. The citrus adds brightness and complexity. The alcohol is present in a nice way adding heft and a little edge without ever taking center stage. Mouth feel is medium to full and very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Similar tasting to Supplication, but I think I prefer this one a little more. Maybe it's my imagination, but it's not quite as acidic as Supplication is and therefore I found it to be easier to drink. Still, both are excellent sours.

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark murky brown with a fluffy yet fizzy tan head that dissipates to a thin cap. Delicious rich aromas of oak, wine, raspberries, and vanilla. Lots of oak up front, almost astringent, flavors of berries and cherry with a very tart finish. Fairly viscous and medium bodied. Excellent stuff, only complaint is I wish the astrigency from the oak would be toned down.

4.09/5  rDev -7.3%

It was really a very good sour for me. The wine barrels they used may not be a favorite of mine yet it was a very drinkable brew and was gone before I knew it. At 10% it definitely did not present itself as it was that boozy. I would have another if given the opportunity however I would not seek another out.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

What a sour! Pours dark reddish with head dissipating quickly.. Aromas are out of this world, first sip was outstanding and will never forget.. Kept sipping on this bad boy for awhile and cud never figure out were the 10 ABV is coming from. Excellent beer world class!!

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, served in a wine glass (we were on vacation). Reddish pour with a strong white head that dissipated fast. The cabernet and currents comes through strong on the nose and the flavor. Sweet, its a sipper. This is an awesome offering, but I think the cab/currants came through a little strong. This kind of reminds me of a sweet port - great for an after dinner sip, but nothing I would want with food.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

What I love about the beer is the tart flavor doesn't fall off at the back of the drink. It's a full flavored sour which tells me these guys know what the hell they're doing.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A — Beautiful ruby color. Slight head that quickly drops to lacing, and then to nothing at all.

S — Rich aroma that is distinctly red wine. To be honest, I don't know my wine like I know my beer, but it is definitely what it claims to be.

T — Not too sour, but strong flavors of red wine and dark fruits. Comes together into a very balanced, though complex, flavor. Having said that, it isn't quite my thing. More of a personal palate than anything imperfect or wrong with the beer. My cabernet loving girlfriend absolutely adores this beer.

M — Well carbonated, medium body. Very drinkable.

O — For a lover of red wines and sour beers, I would imagine that this is absolutely incredible. As for myself, I am merely the latter, and as such I do enjoy this, but not as much as some might.

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aromas of tart cherries and sour fruit. The taste follows the nose, very tart but not overpowering. In fact the tartness is perfect for my taste. One of my favorite wild ales.

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Deep amber-red color. Very very slight sediment. Foam head dissipates quickly.

Smell - Sour cherries and citrus. Reminds of of red wine.

Taste - Follows the smell.

Feel - Tart, dry. Disguises the high alcohol volume dangerously well.

Overall - excellent sour. If all of them were this good, I would drink that style all the time.

4.07/5  rDev -7.7%

375mL bottle served into an oversized tulip. November 2014 bottle.

Impressive rush of carbonation and head that fizzes and seems as if it will quickly recede, does, but then remains as a quarter finger of thick, light khaki-colored foam. Dark brown color with light amber hues. Fizzy carbonation visible. 4.75

From afar, I perceived some vinegary notes and they're there for sure on the nose, but accompanied by an oaky red wine aroma. Caramelized sugar factors in too. 4

Some vinegary qualities on the flavor too, but light and contained. Light hints of brown sugar and red wine are in the mix. 4

Tart and to some degree sour. Light vinegar and acidity. Drinks with a wine-like quality with a silky body and a dry finish. 4.25

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There is a lot to say about this beer. Nice brett and lactic twang on the nose, bout not a lot in the way of fruit. Taste is similar. Certainly vinous. In comparison to Belgian beers, it is a bit like Rodenbach Grand Cru with some added brett (that's a compliment). Overall, a great beer with plenty of added complexity from the oak. My only complaint is that for a fruit sour, I'd like to see the currants shine through more.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a great, complex sour from RR. the cab barrels play off of the base sour perfectly. the currents, the oak, the red wine were all there flavor wise. very drinkable for a sour. i need more.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am by no means a sour aficionado; rather, label me a neophyte at best. I AM, however, a big wine lover (cabs especially) and the cab barrel influence in this beer really strikes me, as do the currants. The ABV is hidden very well. This is one of the better dark sour ales I've ever had. Seek and enjoy!

4.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hands down one of the best sours I've ever had. Red Wine Barrel really compliments the taste. Very complex and worth every penny. I need more of this is my life. soooo good.

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the best sour I've ever had. I joked that it tasted more like red wine than beer after each sip, but it really does combine the best of both very effectively. It's sweet and it's sour and it's easy to smell all the complex goings-on from the currants fermenting in the oak barrels. I'd drink this again and again.

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%

Looks a little thinner than expected - light loose head forms and fades immediately.

Copper/Amber color, absolutely clear.

Nose is bright with deep aroma of currant and black cherry.

Sour is huge, lots of pucker and an extra bitter aspect comes through big. A lot of depth and character. Brilliant bright fruit mixed with dark ripe fruit. Sour, abrasive in some aspects and delicate in others.

This is a fantastic beer.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A — Pours a deep and clear ruby hue into the glass. There is a bright white thin head on top of the glass that fades to a thin layer and leaves some clingy lacing.

S — Bright and complex. Wonderful notes of cabernet and black currant sweetness. Great dry oak character as well.

T — Great depth of complexities, wonderful tart and astringent notes of currants, dark fruits. Great barrel character and nice notes of cabernet. Super sour, dry, and lightly bitter.

M — Medium bodied, high carbonation, great drinkability.

O — Just fantastic, one of the best, a true landmark beer.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: ruby brown and clear, with a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin veil. Very small bubbles; spritzy. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but this is a beer, and from this beer's appearance, I knew it would be good.

Aroma: stone fruit and sour.

Taste: nice and sour. Tart, but not mouth puckering so. Tartness is upfront, which fades to a dry finish at which point the Brett funk arrives. The Brett funk is subdued. I can't detect any of the currants. The beer is wonderfully smooth for being 10% ABV. No alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium.

Overall: this is probably the highest rated beer I've tried. Honestly, I think this beer is overhyped. It is good - very good - but not deserving a BA score of 4.5/5.0. Of the sours I've tried recently, I prefer (in order) Crooked Stave Sentience, Trinity Red Swingline and Boulevard Love Child #3 (cellared 1 year).

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company