2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Ratings: 3,152 | Reviews: 1,004 | Show All Ratings:
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -44.1%

8 oz pour served on tap in a chalice at Saraveza.

Not much to look at. Barely any bubbles at all, let alone head. Dark reddish amber, almost brown see-through body. Zero lacing.

Things get more interesting right away with the first sniff. Massive tart/sour fruit- cherry, fermenting wine- and vinegar smells up front. Once it warms up, small hints of other aromas appear: oak, some sweetness and a teaser of the brett to come. Quite interesting.

In the mouth, the sour flavors once again dominate at first, but things develop quickly as the beer warms up. Some of these things are more pleasant than others. Sour cherryish flavors on the edges of the tongue, overwhelming nasty brett funkiness up the middle as I swallow (I have cultivated an appreciation for milder funkiness that complements the other flavors in a beer, but the brett is simply too strong here for my taste). Hints of sweet currant and oak all around. Sour lingering aftertaste. The brett basically ruins this beer for me.

The moderate-light carbonation is certainly more than I would have thought based on the looks of it. Really makes all that sourness tingle all over the tongue. Dry and sour finish leaves me wanting a sip of water after every swallow. Probably would have rated the feel a lot higher if the brett didn't linger all over the palate threatening to activate my gag reflex.

Drinkability is not good. I like the sourness, but the overpowering brett nastiness severely limits extended enjoyment for me.

Overall impression: Definitely doesn't live up to the hype for me. Hopefully the Supplication and Temptation I recently traded for are better. This much brett has no place in beer! (at least not the beer going into this mouth)

02-19-2009 22:39:10 | More by PDXHops
PeprSprYoFace

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Grabbed some bottles of this from my local supplier La Bodega. Thanks for carrying some sweet stuff in a beer wasteland such as Riverside.

Poured into my Russian River Barrel aged snifter. Pours a nice looking dark brown with a thick tan head that dissapated to about 1/4" and stayed there. Not alot of sticky lacing though.

Smells of alot of bret funk with tart cherries and some oak. Smells like this is gunna be awesome.

Taste is wonderful hands down best sour I have had so far. You can really taste the wine notes from the barrels and the oak and bret mixed with the malts is sublime. Wonderful

Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. Couldn't ask for more.

Drinkability is high and usually I can't drink that many sours in a row but I could drink the entire 750 by myself but I'm being nice and sharing it with a buddy. Glad I bought a couple.

02-19-2009 07:15:16 | More by PeprSprYoFace
kleffman

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

First had this beer in Santa Rosa when I left a bar I was in telling my girlfriend I "had to go to the bathroom" but I really went down the street to Russian River. Incredible decision making.

Pours a clear reddish amber color with little head. Aromas of sour fruit, woody tannins and wine characters blend well with dark sour fruit flavors, oak and red wine. A drying, tart finish full of wonderfully balanced flavors rounds it out very well. High drinkability for a beer that is 10% alcohol. You would never know it. I could drink an awful lot of this beer, and thankfully have had it 3 times now. Fantastic.

02-19-2009 06:35:36 | More by kleffman
DrDogbeer

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Huge thanks to swnicholson for the chance to try this gem. Poured into a tulip. Pours a murky brown with a very active, but thin head. Smell is of ripe fruits- I get prunes, rasberry, and the like. Some sugary alcohol and vinegar as well. Taste is not as sour as I had imagined. Really smooth flavor, actually. Again, some dark fruits, and smooth rich wine flavor. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Some active carbonation in the mouth, but overall very smooth and rich. Not my fave RR, but very good.

02-17-2009 16:41:12 | More by DrDogbeer
Sandstone

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Another Russian River homerun.

Having long been a lover of sours, I couldn't have been more excited to try this beer. Thankfully my girlfriend indulged me and we made the pilgrimage up to Toronado's for Russian River TION night.

The first sip of this beer, I knew I was in for something special. I've had beers that tried to toe the line between beer and wine before (Craftsman's Cabernale... I'm looking at you) but never have I had one that did it this successfully.

I took a sip and handed it to my girlfriend, the wine snob to my beer geek, and waited for her verdict.

"Wow, this is really good."

"Yeah, I know!"

Trying to describe this beer, it is just so difficult to do it justice. The flavors are many and layered. Probably one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

My attempt: Notes of black currant, sour cherry, oak, all with a perfect touch of acid and funk that compliments the beer, rather than defines it.

This is going to be a tough beer to find, but trust me, the search will be worth it. This is one of those breakthrough beers that really pushes a new style to the forefront.

02-17-2009 08:41:21 | More by Sandstone
HopHead84

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Russian River. A silly bar pour leaves the beer nearly spilling out of the glass. No head. The beer is a dark, dark reddish purple.

The nose is of tart raspberries and plums with a touch of vinegar. The currants work very nicely in the beer. This is reminiscent of the Toronado 20th. There are faint alcohol notes, but it relatively well hidden for 10%. Much like the aroma, the flavor is of ripe, tart raspberries and those delicious currants again. There is a nice medium level of sourness to Consecration. The finish is dry and slightly puckering, with just a touch of alcohol.

This is a medium-full bodied sour with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is vinous. This is the closest thing I've had to Toronado. I'd love to do a side by side comparison of the two. The alcohol is well hidden, which leads to a damn drinkable strong sour. I'm glad I stocked up on this.

02-17-2009 06:52:41 | More by HopHead84
session1979

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this back at GABF so I decided to crack a bottle of this as a Valentines gift to myself. Offered some to the wifey but she isn't a big fan of sours.

A: After the CO2 bomb settled it poured a beautiful dark red with a bubbly light red colored head.

S: Smell was funky, sour, tanic and full of a sweet acidity. Very appealing, so much so that it was hard to let it warm for more than a few minutes before taking the first sip.

T: Big cherry fruit sourness hits the edges of your tongue. Then sweet notes follow and tame it ever so much. The finish was soooo long and dry and the taste turned to grape skins. One of the best finishes I have ever experienced.

M: Light body due to the massive carbonation. As it should be for this style.

D: Very, VERY drinkable. I shared it with two others but could easily enjoy the bottle all to myself despite the high ABV.

Overall: I have loved each of the RR sours for what they offer and amazingly they are all different. This one is a welcome introduction into the world of dark sours and I absolutely loved it. An ace.

02-15-2009 20:47:43 | More by session1979
slayer3604

4.65/5  rDev +4%

a- A malted straw color, with a minimal head that disipates very quickly because of the high acidity of this brew!

s- Like saltwater taffey, which sounds weird, maybe it is because i was staring at some when i was smelling it (at verdugo bar, ca). very very weird and cool smell. insane funk, and barnyard!

T- Lemon grass, citrus (beyond lemon...like afterthought of grapefruit)...and maybe even a little cranberry tart to it as well. so deep. it lingers like nobodys mom.

M- tangy, medium bodied, full of flavor, and as mentioned before, lingering! Very acidic and leaves a buttery film on your teef.

D- I could drink this all day, except for the fact that it will give you a headache from the acid...or at least me haha.

02-15-2009 05:39:20 | More by slayer3604
largadeer

Appearance: 750ml corked and caged bottle, batch 001x4, into a Russian River 'Tion tulip. Pours a beautifully clear chestnut amber with crimson highlights. Incredible color on this stuff, especially when held to the light. The head rises high but is short lived, receding to a ring rather quickly.

Smell: Vinous and chocolatey, big fruit overtones and woody tannins. Restrained funkiness; rather clean actually. Hints of spiciness and alcohol. A touch of raspberry and vanilla sweetness appears at warmer temperatures.

Taste & mouthfeel: Tart fruitiness quickly followed by woody tannins, earth and dry red wine. Hints of chocolate and caramel are present beneath it all, the last remnants of Salvation, perhaps? This all leads into a tart, dry and juicy finish with a blast of black currant. Consecration has nailed the beer/wine hybrid more than any other Russian River beer. While it's good stuff, I do find it a bit overwhelming. 9 times out of 10 I'd rather drink Supplication or Temptation.

02-14-2009 05:00:18 | More by largadeer
DoubleJ

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

A brand new Russian River sour, and one that's high in alcohol. Had some on-tap at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles. On to the beer:

Poured into a tulip, Consecration is a dark red-violet beer with little head retention, leaving no lacing on the glass, but the latter wasn't expected from much. The aroma is a beautiful thing. Sweet vinegar, akin to what you'd find in ketchup or barbecue sauce. Pickel juice. Notes of oak and barrel. Slight underlying sweetness underneath it.

My first impression of the taste was it was very intensely acidic upfront. But what sour isn't acidic? Bits of tartness show through, as do assorted, overripened fruits. There's a long lasting, pleasant aftertaste of vinegar on the palate. The high alcohol presents a faint, but noticable boozy aspect with a sharp pinch towards at the back of the line.

A good sour, but I'm not as big of a fan as everyone else seems to be. But I have had heard several accounts say the bottled version is ten times better than the draft version I sampled Maybe I need to sample the bottle someday for its optimal performance.

02-13-2009 17:13:53 | More by DoubleJ
JWD

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked these up on the Consecration/ PTY release day.

A- Outstanding ruby reddish dark brown color with a frothy tan head on it.

S- i think i am wine tasting, very strong red wine hint here, little funky and definently going to make you pucker!!

T- Great, I have had all but the ultra rare RR sours and this is my favorite right there with beatifacation, This offering bring so much more to the table, Starts sweet fruit wine and leaves you sour and dry, tons of changes here.

M- High carb and all else it what is to be expected.

D- Love it, i could have 2 750s easy, great sipper that improve as it warms.

Overall, great RR offering that i will be stocked up on for a while if i can resist the temptation to drink, so far i am not doing good and at $25 a bottle i cannot afford any more!!

02-13-2009 05:01:31 | More by JWD
m1ked

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%

Picked a bottle from South Bay Drug....top notch spot.

A- A near gusher once uncorked. Pours with the appearance of coke-a-cola with a monster 2 inch tan foamy head that hangs around for a while. No lacing observed. Small tan ring left behind. When held up to the light, a clear rusty garnet color. A couple lone streamers noted.

S- The obvious upfront vinegary sour tang with an appreciable presence of sour fruit and raspberries. Subtle woodiness, cinnamon. Mmm smells yum.

T- Once again....Tangy vinegar, sour cherry raspberry...I guess that must be the currants. Sour apple, with longstanding tangy sour. Subtle wood that gives off some phenolic hints.

M- Smooth mild body with great carbonation that continues to bubble until it is all gone. Leaves your mouth dry but your salivary glands working overtime.

D- Another great tasting sour from RR. You have to be able to appreciate sours to appreciate this excellant sour. I have only recently started venturing into the wonderful world of sours. I am glad to have had this opportunity.

02-12-2009 05:14:46 | More by m1ked
MiScusi

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Served in a Chimay chalice at Hollingshead's Deli.

There is nothing glamorous about this beer's appearance. It's murky maroon'ish brown looking but there's nothing really off putting about it either, hence it's fine. What my nose and tongue pick up is a very sour cherry-like presence. This is followed by a dry tannic finish, very woody. The high alcohol is not really noticeable and the mouthfeel is a pretty light consistency. This beer is so easy to drink it's dangerous at 10%.

02-11-2009 06:19:22 | More by MiScusi
aforbes10

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at Russian River. Pours dark, but not cloudy, just shimmering and purple to deep red. Almost no head, just a ring of light purple bubbles. Smells of tart cherries, red wine esters, alcohol. Nose is rich and inviting. Taste is supremely delicious. Sour, wine-like fruit flavor...lots of tart cherries, lip smackin'! Chocolate malt lingers beneath, but the feature is the big sourness that's just everywhere. I also get some currants and raspberries in there too. Sourness doesn't decrease much as i drink more, which i've found to be the case with other sours, it just sticks around and makes every sip a great and interesting experience. Drinks like a dream...a fantastic and memorable beer.

02-09-2009 19:12:23 | More by aforbes10
Overlord

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Wow.

Pours a clean amberish brown that glistens with a wicked orange tint when held to light. Tight frothy white head belies the brew's color.

Smell is heavy on the funk, acidic fruit, and oak. The taste is just heavenly. So smooth, so dangerously drinkable. Crazy oak, just the right amount of funk, a definite acidic sourness that's offset by the light sweet notes of barely-ripe-currants and vinegary citrus. There's a real vinous/wine undercurrent that provides an interesting base. Touching off the wine base is a cherry/raspberry (is that what currants taste like?) bite.

Just fantastic. Great champagne-esque bubbly mouthfeel. Russian River has hit the perfect blend of sour and sweet fruit.

**As I continue to drink this, the theme of this beer is "balance." Just perfectly in harmony.

02-09-2009 08:35:19 | More by Overlord
francisweizen

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml, corked and caged bottle, batch 1. Consumed 02/06/2009 at the city beer store PTY release. Thanks for sharing, madorb.

Dark raspberry rust with a nice off-white head of clingy foam that lasts and provides the viewer with legs and sheets of lace.

The aromas is somewhat similar to the toronado 20th, however, this is sharper with a definite big fruit nose up front from the currant. Also, the acidity is cleaner and less muddled than the 20th.

The taste is BIG and sour. When I found out that this was 10%abv, I was honestly shocked, as this drinks like a thirt quencher. The flavors are of big fruit, oak, and brett funk with a lovely mid palatte biscuit malt punch, and the faintest dead green dry hop in the background. This drinks like heavenly juice.

The mouthfeelis like lightly carbonated wine, when swished in the mouth extra carbonation is released smoothly hitting every single taste bud in your mouth, and making those buds sing with the joyous flavors of this nectar.

Drinkability is perfect. I can and will drink this one all day, thank god this is a somehwat bigger batch than we usually get for these RR wild ale releases. A few choice Bay Area retailers got up to 20 cases of this stuff, and even though the brewpub itself is almost sold out, there will be a second batch released in a few months....Also, this will be on tap at the Toronado on Tuesday night, and kegs may find their way to other sleect draft account in the bay area as well.

Another masterwork from Vinnie and Co.

Na Zdrowie.

02-08-2009 19:12:16 | More by francisweizen
bifrostguard

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Deep burgundy in color with almost no head or lacing to speak of. The light that did make it through highlighted the deep red color and made it interesting to look at.

S - Currants, cherries, mild funk, wood and awesome. I had a good feeling after smelling this one.

T - Yeah. It's good. Not really a big fan of sours but I thought Consecration was the best of the style I have had. Not overly sour or sweet. Currants keep the flavor in check on the fruity side allowing me to be able to pick out vinegar, brown sugar and wood flavors as well. Some notes of tobacco, leather and wine are noted as well.

M - Much like a good wine. Medium bodied and only slightly drying.

D - Effing awesome at the bar. I gave this a perfect as it made me think twice about getting another Younger, but it ultimately lost. I will have this every chance I get.

02-04-2009 04:20:05 | More by bifrostguard
antilogic

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Served on tap at O'brien's TION night in a Chimay Goblet, with Vinne himself.

Color was a dark burgundy red, aroma had wine and fruit notes. Taste was great. Not too sour, very drinkable, lots of wine characteristics, dark fruit, kurants or cherries. Medium in body, light, if any head, almost no alcohol noticeable for 10%, delicious! I'll be trying to get a few bottles of this one...

02-02-2009 05:58:11 | More by antilogic
paytoplay

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Heavy influence of currants and cabernet / oak flavors. Blue and red berry fruits. Cassis, seemless and very balanced. Long finish and almost thick silky texture. Zero alc noticable. Tried from Keg at O'Briens Russian River nite. Not sure aging this would be helpful in developing more complexities?

02-01-2009 00:16:17 | More by paytoplay
Halcyondays

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours darker than a beet red, with a small cap of white foam.

S: Got some interesting cherry and wine notes, but wanted a bit more. Some chocolate in there too.

T: Heavy balsamic vinegar and wine character, almost had a rancid fruit characteristic, in a good way though. Fig and dark fruit notes. Not light on the funk. Sweetness comes out in the finish to the beer which I liked. Not the greatest flavour for me, but certainly interesting.

M: Upfront acidity, then the mouthfeel lightens up a bit, a little too thin at times.

D: An intriguing beer from Russian River. I don't think I liked it as much as everyone around me did, but I enjoyed trying it.

Edit - I've had this beer a few times since the original review, still not wowed, but I've found myself liking it more and more. Upping the taste score to a 4 (from 3.5).

01-31-2009 05:16:29 | More by Halcyondays
OStrungT

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a dark mohogany color. My wife said it has a slight purple tint to it, but I didnt see it. I might need glasses though. It boasts a light tan head. The head fades slowly, leaving a nice lacing.

This beer has a mild tart aroma. I can smell some grapes also. It smells wine like, probably because it is aged in wine barrels, you think? It also smells slightly fruity, with some cherry and black currants. A slight oaky aroma is also present.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Tart, and a little sour, with a slight fruity flavor of grapes, cherries and black currants.

This beer hides the alcohol well. It leaves a tart aftertaste. Carbonation is perfect.

This beer would probably not be the best session beer. It is high in alcohol, and it is easy to forget that since it is so easy to drink.

Overall: This beer is yet another outstanding wild ale from Vinnie and Russian River. I love it, as I expected. If you ever get the chance, do not hesitate to try this beer.

12-23-2008 22:32:17 | More by OStrungT
hopdog

On tap.

Poured a dark brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of dark fruits -dark cherries-, berries, chocolate, and wood. Tastes of grape skins, dark cherries, wood, lightly vinous, chocolate, and funky. Softer body. Nice tart finish.

Wow, I wish I could get a lot more of this one!!!

12-09-2008 03:50:36 | More by hopdog
WeisGuy

On-tap at the brewpub.

a - a dark brown color with a purplelish hue, modest white head with moderate lacing, lots of bubbles on the side and rising to the top

s - good deal of sweet dark berries and some oak along with some sour notes

t - tastes almost like a slightly less sweet and more sour grape kool-aid with some 7-Up thrown in for carbonation, but that doesn't do this beer justice, much more complex with strong oak notes thrown in, maybe it was just the fact that I knew it was aged in cabernet barrels, but the grape and oak definitely came through strong, the sourness was moderate and not as strong as, for example, Beatification or Sanctification, the alcohol really isn't noticeable at all, which is surprising given the 10% abv

m - medium-bodied, fuller bodied than other RR sours, good amount of carbonation, sourness is a little drying on the palate, but the sweetness balances that pretty well

d - quite drinkable despite the 10% advertised abv, the sourness is definitely not as strong and overwhelming on the palate as the other RR sours, particularly the Sanctification that was also on tap tonight, quite complex which keeps the beer interesting for several servings, overall, amazingly drinkable for a 10% abv sour ale

An extremely good beer overall. I haven't reviewed a beer in awhile, but this one warranted a formal review. I didn't find this one quite as good as Beatification (one of my top 3 beers ever), but it's not far behind. The cabernet barrel aging is very well done in that it lends complexity and character to the beer without totally overwhelming all other flavors. It'll be great to see this in bottles eventually.

11-29-2008 06:06:03 | More by WeisGuy
GClarkage

4.47/5  rDev 0%

11/15/08- Had on tap at the Bistro Barrel Aged fest in Hayward, CA.

Presentation- Via the tap into small taster size glasses.

Appearance- Auburn colored pour, slightly murky but ultra fine yeast sightings if any. No real head and slight lace remnents.

Smell- Large amount of sour berries and lots of brett sourness and barnyard notes.

Taste- Unlike other supperb Wild Ales by RR, this one has some serious depth. Or at least thickness and a more fruity base other than just sourness. Cherry, raspberry, blackberry...can't really tell what berry (although I think it's cherry). Very sour with sharp acidic flavor. Winelike taste due to the cab barrels used for aging. Almost seems like some mild sweetness trys to creep in, but can't get it's head through the door.

Mouthfeel- Very full mouthfeel for a Wild Ale. Sharp and ultra clean with a medium crisp carbonation level.

Drinkability- Right up there with all the other Wild Ales Vinnie brews, one of my new favorites. Winner of the fest IMO.

11-17-2008 20:49:53 | More by GClarkage
iowaherkeye

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap @ Russian River. Hot damn am I happy to see this on the chalkboard.Clear ruby brown with a small beige head, fading to a thin ring before long, and swrved in a snifter. Big oak and red wine nose up front with the vinegar and sour apple notes next. Buttery brett and leather peak out stronger as I nose this, and it's hard to pick out the sweet dark fruit that is Salvation in the base beer. Whoo! Flavor is full of tons of sour fruits and berries with a definite dry red wine and oak finish. Sour factor peaked ~ a 6-7,and I wanted to add there was some low earthy bitterness in the backend as well. I'm hard-pressed to find any Salvation in this. Full body with light prickly carbonation--just a little warming in the belly implies the 10%. Really effing good--looks like my Iowa homies are getting one pricey growler!

11-12-2008 07:17:42 | More by iowaherkeye