Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,095 | Hads: 4,848
4.23/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, served in a wine glass (we were on vacation). Reddish pour with a strong white head that dissipated fast. The cabernet and currents comes through strong on the nose and the flavor. Sweet, its a sipper. This is an awesome offering, but I think the cab/currants came through a little strong. This kind of reminds me of a sweet port - great for an after dinner sip, but nothing I would want with food.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

What I love about the beer is the tart flavor doesn't fall off at the back of the drink. It's a full flavored sour which tells me these guys know what the hell they're doing.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A — Beautiful ruby color. Slight head that quickly drops to lacing, and then to nothing at all.

S — Rich aroma that is distinctly red wine. To be honest, I don't know my wine like I know my beer, but it is definitely what it claims to be.

T — Not too sour, but strong flavors of red wine and dark fruits. Comes together into a very balanced, though complex, flavor. Having said that, it isn't quite my thing. More of a personal palate than anything imperfect or wrong with the beer. My cabernet loving girlfriend absolutely adores this beer.

M — Well carbonated, medium body. Very drinkable.

O — For a lover of red wines and sour beers, I would imagine that this is absolutely incredible. As for myself, I am merely the latter, and as such I do enjoy this, but not as much as some might.

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aromas of tart cherries and sour fruit. The taste follows the nose, very tart but not overpowering. In fact the tartness is perfect for my taste. One of my favorite wild ales.

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Deep amber-red color. Very very slight sediment. Foam head dissipates quickly.

Smell - Sour cherries and citrus. Reminds of of red wine.

Taste - Follows the smell.

Feel - Tart, dry. Disguises the high alcohol volume dangerously well.

Overall - excellent sour. If all of them were this good, I would drink that style all the time.

4.07/5  rDev -7.7%

375mL bottle served into an oversized tulip. November 2014 bottle.

Impressive rush of carbonation and head that fizzes and seems as if it will quickly recede, does, but then remains as a quarter finger of thick, light khaki-colored foam. Dark brown color with light amber hues. Fizzy carbonation visible. 4.75

From afar, I perceived some vinegary notes and they're there for sure on the nose, but accompanied by an oaky red wine aroma. Caramelized sugar factors in too. 4

Some vinegary qualities on the flavor too, but light and contained. Light hints of brown sugar and red wine are in the mix. 4

Tart and to some degree sour. Light vinegar and acidity. Drinks with a wine-like quality with a silky body and a dry finish. 4.25

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There is a lot to say about this beer. Nice brett and lactic twang on the nose, bout not a lot in the way of fruit. Taste is similar. Certainly vinous. In comparison to Belgian beers, it is a bit like Rodenbach Grand Cru with some added brett (that's a compliment). Overall, a great beer with plenty of added complexity from the oak. My only complaint is that for a fruit sour, I'd like to see the currants shine through more.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a great, complex sour from RR. the cab barrels play off of the base sour perfectly. the currents, the oak, the red wine were all there flavor wise. very drinkable for a sour. i need more.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am by no means a sour aficionado; rather, label me a neophyte at best. I AM, however, a big wine lover (cabs especially) and the cab barrel influence in this beer really strikes me, as do the currants. The ABV is hidden very well. This is one of the better dark sour ales I've ever had. Seek and enjoy!

4.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hands down one of the best sours I've ever had. Red Wine Barrel really compliments the taste. Very complex and worth every penny. I need more of this is my life. soooo good.

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the best sour I've ever had. I joked that it tasted more like red wine than beer after each sip, but it really does combine the best of both very effectively. It's sweet and it's sour and it's easy to smell all the complex goings-on from the currants fermenting in the oak barrels. I'd drink this again and again.

4.91/5  rDev +11.3%

Looks a little thinner than expected - light loose head forms and fades immediately.

Copper/Amber color, absolutely clear.

Nose is bright with deep aroma of currant and black cherry.

Sour is huge, lots of pucker and an extra bitter aspect comes through big. A lot of depth and character. Brilliant bright fruit mixed with dark ripe fruit. Sour, abrasive in some aspects and delicate in others.

This is a fantastic beer.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A — Pours a deep and clear ruby hue into the glass. There is a bright white thin head on top of the glass that fades to a thin layer and leaves some clingy lacing.

S — Bright and complex. Wonderful notes of cabernet and black currant sweetness. Great dry oak character as well.

T — Great depth of complexities, wonderful tart and astringent notes of currants, dark fruits. Great barrel character and nice notes of cabernet. Super sour, dry, and lightly bitter.

M — Medium bodied, high carbonation, great drinkability.

O — Just fantastic, one of the best, a true landmark beer.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: ruby brown and clear, with a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin veil. Very small bubbles; spritzy. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but this is a beer, and from this beer's appearance, I knew it would be good.

Aroma: stone fruit and sour.

Taste: nice and sour. Tart, but not mouth puckering so. Tartness is upfront, which fades to a dry finish at which point the Brett funk arrives. The Brett funk is subdued. I can't detect any of the currants. The beer is wonderfully smooth for being 10% ABV. No alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium.

Overall: this is probably the highest rated beer I've tried. Honestly, I think this beer is overhyped. It is good - very good - but not deserving a BA score of 4.5/5.0. Of the sours I've tried recently, I prefer (in order) Crooked Stave Sentience, Trinity Red Swingline and Boulevard Love Child #3 (cellared 1 year).

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Wow! Awesome ruby color, thin lacing for a head, some cherry and currant aromas. Slight pucker, dark stone fruit flavors, but amazing finish that is dry and melts away the sourness. Manages to have a fizzy and light mouthfeel without too much tartness. Reminds me of La Folie, but I think this trumps it based on how smooth it finishes.

4.72/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You would think that this beer would taste horrible. I mean who mixes wine and beer? But no surprisingly great! The smell of the grapes that give a sweet but yet spicy smell mixed with the malts and hops of the beer make a great pair. This is not for the average beer drinker. But if you love wine and not beer this is your perfect medium.

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2014 bottle.

Look: Looks like cola. Steady stream of tiny bubbles. No head.
Smell: Sweet and tart.
Taste: Salty, sweet, and tart. Nice barrel with faint wine notes.
Feel: Thin and watery. Short to medium finish that has a substantial amount of lather.

Overall - Sours aren't my cup of tea, but this one is solid. I like Sang Royal or Noir a bit better.

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My extremely good and awesome buddy Jon Passow, who as of a few months ago became the Manager of Barrel Room Operations at Anderson Valley Brewing Company, sent me this in a package from northern, CA a few months ago along with some other awesome beers from Russian River. This is the last beer from that package and I was saving it until tonight. Poured out of a 12.68 oz bottle into one of my tulip glasses. POP! goes the cork as I pulled it out of this bottle. This beer pours a clear, dark amber color with somewhat bright ruby and copper highlights when help up tot he light. This beer appears to be quite carbonated indeed, as even about 5 minutes or so to after being poured there is still a nicely audible hiss of the fizz created from the many streams of bubbles a rapidly rising to the beer's surface. The head/carbonation/foam reminds me a lot of soda pop being poured into a glass, only the hiss of the fizz lasts much, much longer here than it ever has with any soda pop I ever poured into a glass. Had a slightly off white/tan head about 1/3 of an inch thick. Aromas of roasted currant and a slight caramel malt presence along with a nice hint of oak and cherry and cranberry tart. The taste is pretty much the same, with a slight toasted caramel sweetness that gives way to currants and a nice cranberry and cherry tart sweetness along with a nice musty funk that gives way to subtle vinegar and an even subtler hint of salt. In some ways I'd say the flavor profile is laid back in a sense here, and it works very well. It certainly has a fair amount of sourness to if, but it is not in your face overwhelming your taste buds and making a huge fuss about it. Has a clean and dry finish and the sour tartness likes to hang out on the back of the tongue in the aftertaste. This is one beer that I wish my glass was never ending of. To quote my good friend Passow "This is a beer that is so good that you can drink it in bed and it will lull you to sleep." Has a crisp, slightly prickly, yet smooth and frothy, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. Simply an excellent beer all around! Much thanks to my friend for sending this one to me!

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: A very clear yet dark ruby to tawny depending on angle and light. Very interesting. What little head fizzled off immediately much like a cool soda pop.

Smell: Roasty Currant up front. Little yeast funk. Little oakyness.

Taste: Tart. Dark Fruits. Hard caramel. Little bit of leather. Musty. There is so much going on in this beer. Wow. The alcohol is a little hot on the finish but overall a great job of masking/incorporating it into the flavor profile.

Feel: Finish is medium-dry to Dry. Pretty silky soft Cab tannin. Lovely.

Overall: Delightful, delicious, adventurous and unique. A special brew that will often occupy my beer fridge.

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Reddish brown, dark but great clarity, plenty of fine carbonation, fizzly champagne-like tan-red head that makes a quick exit and leaves only a collar.

S: Cherry and cranberry, tart. Some red wine notes come through, although it smells lighter than cabernet sauvignon to me (but my wine palate sucks).

T: Bright cherry, red grape, mild puckering sourness, some tartness/funk. Very light woody note, like cork. Flavors last a decent while, but not long enough. Pretty dry.

M: No gritty saccharine or syrup, just crisp prickly carbonation. Too easy to drink.

O: Incredible fruit flavor, good funk, and decent puckering ability. The lack of that outright sourness is my only personal gripe, if you can even call it that. Otherwise just about a perfect representative of the style, and still damn good (possibly unequaled) in my book.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared by Ben last night, thanks man. Batch 008, bottled in 2011. Sheeeeitttt.

This one pours a clear dark red, with a small head, and no lacing.

This one smells super tasty, cherries, currants, red wine vinegar, oak, and red wine.

This has clearly aged very nicely, it's nuts that it's 10% ABV, you wouldn't know. So much sour dark fruit here, lots of currants, and a nice sour cherry flavor as well. There's some dry mustiness, along with a pretty puckering sourness, about a 7/10 on the unofficial sour scale. So. Good.

This is light bodied, with a crisp, super tart, and very juicy mouthfeel, along with a moderate but lively level of carbonation.

Probably the best sour I've had from Russian River, it was just so enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The first few sips were not fantastic for me but thought it was a completely different experience as it opened up and warmed. Loved the 2nd half as the barrel came through. Very enjoyable.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: Bottle (11.06.14)
Consumed: 5.24.15

A: 4.5 Pours a clear, reddish-brown. The one-inch, light tan head lasts about a minute leaving good lacing.

S: 4.5 Love the aromas coming off this beer. A bit of funk comes in first, but after the beer has a chance to open up for a couple minutes, currents, cherries (with a slightly medicinal aroma), oak, vinegar, and even a bit of chocolate come through.

T: 4.5 Like the nose, there is a really pleasant fruitiness playing off the dark malts and oaky tannins. The flavor is somewhat tart, but what’s really impressive is how the acidity and sweetness go back and forth.

M: 4.75 Perfect carbonation and very clean feeling. The body is rich enough to feel substantial, while the slightly dry finish leaves you wanting another sip.

O: 4.5 Consecration is consistently one of my favorite sours and never disappoints. With all the great flavors and aromas going on, you could really sit and contemplate this beer for a long time; but it’s also so easy drinking, you could just sit back, take it all in, and enjoy. As much as I enjoy the bottles, I think I prefer this beer slightly when on draught.

4.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opaque brown/reddish draft pour with off white foam. Sour cherry nose. Red wine and sour cherries with a little funk from yeast. Medium mouthfeel, tongue is bathed in tart funky fruit. This is simply terrific.

Wow. What a fantastic beer. Enjoyed with a salmon salad lunch, and this was by far the star of the show. Immediately, the ruby color had me excited. Normally I am not a fan of sour beers, this was traded to me. Wine was strong on the nose, great smell. Tasted and felt amazing. Absolutely does not drink like 10%, very well crafted. I will always be searching this beer out.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company