Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,304
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
PEIhop

11-20-2011 02:12:46 | More by PEIhop
THECPJ

Delaware

Reviewed from notes 1/10/2011

A: sour cherries, very tart, semi-sweet

Ap: amber-red with a small white to off-white head (the top layer of the glass only) that dissipated very quickly. absolutely no lacing.

B/T: moderate carbonation, lots of tiny bubbles dancing on my tongue

Af: definitely sour! taste like tart cherries, a little bit of sweetness in the mix

O: sour cherry sippin' beer

Cheers!

Brewed: 6/18/2008
Bottled: 4/1/2009
Primary: Abbey Ale Yeast
Conditioning: Rockpile

A: Deep chestnut brown, very bubbly, tan head, no retention, only a hint of leg.

S: Nice sour aroma with plenty of dark fruit, brown sugar, a little brett & funk, fairly woody.

T: Plenty of dark fruit and currants, a pleasant sourness (a light mix of Brettanomyces, lactobacillus & other funk), hints of cocoa and dry-roasted nuts, wood.

M: Very dry, very bubbly, with only a slight acidity.

D: A remarkably good drinker.

10-18-2009 03:25:27 | More by Derek
zestar

06-01-2013 05:27:14 | More by zestar
dirtylou

Washington

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

750ml bottle, split and paired with some fetalicious

Batch 001x1

appearance: slightly alarming label - poured into a few new glarus flutes, dark garnet-mahogany body, active fizzy tan head that recedes to nothing very quickly. active carbonation present

smell: lovely - cranberry, tart cherry, oak, currants, vanilla, funky brett

taste: I was a big fan of this one on my SF trip this past winter and am glad to have another bottle downstairs after this one. Tart fruits dominate the palate - cranberry, black cherry. The cabernet barrels provide a really nice vinous body with highlights of sharp oak and vanilla throughout. Russian River is my favorite domestic brewery - that's for sure.

mouthfeel: tart and lively, vinous with active carbonation

drinkability: good

06-28-2010 14:10:54 | More by dirtylou
HopHead84

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Russian River. A silly bar pour leaves the beer nearly spilling out of the glass. No head. The beer is a dark, dark reddish purple.

The nose is of tart raspberries and plums with a touch of vinegar. The currants work very nicely in the beer. This is reminiscent of the Toronado 20th. There are faint alcohol notes, but it relatively well hidden for 10%. Much like the aroma, the flavor is of ripe, tart raspberries and those delicious currants again. There is a nice medium level of sourness to Consecration. The finish is dry and slightly puckering, with just a touch of alcohol.

This is a medium-full bodied sour with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is vinous. This is the closest thing I've had to Toronado. I'd love to do a side by side comparison of the two. The alcohol is well hidden, which leads to a damn drinkable strong sour. I'm glad I stocked up on this.

02-17-2009 06:52:41 | More by HopHead84
TurdFurgison

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Batch 001X2 bottle, corked and caged, purchased from Monk's Cafe 4 months ago. The beer is hazy, dark reddish brown with a 1-finger off-white foam that quickly dissipated to a thin ring around the glass. Much darker than I initially expected. The aroma is sour and acidic with a strong raisin character. There's much more dark fruit than I normally get in a wild ale, I think I smell plums and a touch of alcohol also. I like everything about the aroma except the alcohol, maybe it can't be helped due to the high ABV. The taste is not as sour as feared or hoped, but crisply tart. Lots of raisins, plums, some sweet and tart cherries, very very good. More in-your-face than Belgian wild ales, this has more evident alcohol and bolder flavors overall. Medium body but the rich flavors and threat of 10% tempers the drinkability a bit.

07-02-2009 01:10:11 | More by TurdFurgison
dmorgan310

Panama

05-16-2014 03:52:05 | More by dmorgan310
billab914

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Lost Abbey stemware glass. It poured a brownish/deep red color with a very fizzy and active head to it. The head settled down very quickly, almost like a cola.

The aroma shows off an acidic sourness as well as some fruity notes to it. The currents give it a tart and dry fruitiness that is very nice. The sourness is sharp with moderate acidicness. Just a hint of the woody, barrel character comes through.

The taste starts off with a sharp acidic bite to it with more of the moderately sweet current fruitiness coming through. As you get closer to the finish more sour and tart flavors come through. The currents leave a grape/wine like dry, tartness on the palate. It's great in how the sweet and tart flavors both come through so well in it. It's definitely one of the more tart and sour beers of the style I've had.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied overall, and more heavy then most I've had in the style. Carbonation is very high and sharp. Drinkability is good, it had some excellent flavors to it and some great complexity. As I said before I loved how it had both sweet and tart flavors at the same time. The currents were also excellently done. Very tart and sour too. Excellent beer overall.

12-14-2010 01:37:55 | More by billab914
afsdan

Colorado

03-22-2014 19:27:27 | More by afsdan
xnicknj

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

on tap at Monk's in philly. review from notes.

A - A lovely copper brown color with golden hues and barely any head or lacing.

S - Remarkably cherry and tart, along with some hints of alcohol and red wine.

T - Highly sour and acidic up front, but the sweeter currant flavors quickly balance the taste before an amazingly unique wine flavor starts to kick in. Smacking of dark fruit, oak, and red wine, the ale quickly warms you as the 10.5 abv is almost nonexistent until finally creeping in towards the finish, creating a rush of boozyness which isn't overwhelming.

M - Bubbly, sticky, tart, and dry.

D - Possibly one of the easiest drinking wild ales I've ever had, especially at 10.5%. You can sense the alcohol in the finish, but it's tough to only have one, especially on tap.

These are expensive, and worth every penny. Absolutely delicious, refreshing, vibrant, exciting, and pleasant to drink. I only wish we could get RR in NJ, but at least Philly is within striking distance.

08-27-2010 22:38:11 | More by xnicknj
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 22/4/12 batch 006

A clear light ruby red when held to the light with just a thin film foe head that falls quickly and leaves zero lace, I like the color

S funky strawberry and cassis with some oaked vinous notes with some vinegar, smells pretty good and I'd never guess it's 10%

T I prefer the taste with more sour vinegar and the cassis is easier to pick up, more vinous notes leaves me wondering if there was still wine in the barrel, I pick up on the subtle barrel notes but its the liquid grape that I can taste

M sour and leaves my mouth tingling just a little, still no heat and a slickness left behind, pin prick bubbles work well

O perhaps I was a little hard on the smell, it may have been closer to great then good, I'm more impressed by how they made a 10% BA brew that has no booze anywhere

I see a trend developing with Russian River, great stuff being brewed!! yet another big thank you too Rutager for sending me this one along with many others

04-23-2012 02:41:18 | More by wordemupg

08-27-2013 23:38:31 | More by GraduatedCashew
ccrida

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

750ml bottle (batch 001X3) poured into my large St. Feullien goblet (I was gonna go with one of the Russian River glasses, but they're all pretty ugly and none of them have the nucleation etching like this one), Consecration is a brilliant ruby with an off-white head that is pretty quick to settle to a thick skim, leaving light lace.

Smell is vinous, tart dark berries, caramel, not overly rich, even at cellar temp, but very nice. The constant crackle keeps it lively and enticing without overwhelming.

Taste is very nice. Immediately it reminds me of Oerbier Special Reserve, probably my favorite beer of all time. Which makes it all the harder for me to overlook that fact that I buy that for few less dollars for an equal volume, and that it comes from drastically further distance from a brewery that ages it for at least an extra year or so before release. Still, value is not a factor in taste, and on that accord there are very few that pale. Like most Flanders style beers, especially the stronger ones, I really wish I'd had this with the massive rib eye au poivre I had earlier, rather then splitting the Shiraz with my wife. Consecration is more overtly fruity (then the De Dolle), and is not that funky, although it's obviously pretty young, but is nevertheless fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium light, a crisp creamy carbontion, with just enough maltiness to keep it from being to thin. Very digestible, and the coating of the tannins on the mouth is pleasant and really ties in the wine barrel aging.

Drinkability is high, as this is about as good as it gets for me taste wise. My only ding is the cost, in that comparable beers in it's class (the aforementioned De Dolle, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien, etc...) are quite a bit less, and they all come from another continent, not a days drive south of me. Still, this is a masterful beer that I'm glad to see will be somewhat regularly available, demanding a high proportion of my beer budget until they ramp up and price down! In fact, the more I contemplate this beer, the more impressed I am, perhaps one of the best I've ever had - again, only the De Dolle being on par. Wow, this beer is just an incredible mind blower. As I worked though it, I had to bump it up to a 5, in spite of the price, because it was just so dang good, in spite of the young age!

Edit - I had to pop an 06 Oerbier Special Reserve to compare with the last glass of the Consecration, these notes are all from the perspective of the De Dolle:

a-much larger head, more lace, duller, murky body
s-much drier, more mineral, bright
t-less complexity, more (very clean) alcohol, less depth, more wood, less tannins. RR is fruitier, DD is earthier, and has less depth.
m-a bit less carbonation but still hanging strong, lighter, drier.
d-good, but I'm shocked to see I prefer the RR in the shootout. The oakiness is a bit much, it hasn't gotten overly funky like I'd hope with the age, and the depth doesn't match the RR. I like a sweeter beer, or more sour, but the aged DD reminds me of the disappointing 05 Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien I had on xmas eve, which was also over oaked and not that sour.

03-08-2009 08:18:34 | More by ccrida
Zaphog

07-08-2013 22:40:45 | More by Zaphog
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 10% ABV, Serve in a tulip, Batch 003X1.

Thanks to Wisconsinality for bringing this one to the RR tasting!

A - Despite the tall pour, absolutely no head and no bubbles on top of the still slightly dirty brown amber color. Mahogany in the deep parts. The head could possibly be removed from the alcohol level.

S - Dark fruit holds up a lightly toasted amber malt aroma. The currants add a nice blend of fruitiness to the red wine hint that increases in strength as it warms up. The wine blends very well with the wild aroma of damp barrel and barnyard funk.

T - Very sour with a strong, almost overpowering tart funkiness. The cab barrel aging is almost overshadowed fully. Slightly fruitiness from the currants in the background blend well with the wine very nicely.

M - Medium-bodied with a strong sour-tart texture that's almost a bit too much. The lingering finish lasts forever and is fairly crisp with a harsh but complex kick.

D - This beer is fantastic but, damn, the sour finish and resulting sensation is harsh, even for a guy who loves sours. I'm thoroughly enjoying it but it is a a bit much to drink. Sharing the bottle is perfect.

06-17-2010 21:50:53 | More by BeerFMAndy
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

06-24-2013 16:10:40 | More by liamt07
tobelerone

Connecticut

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I believe this was batch 004, but I can’t be sure. Pours a reddish brown hued body, with almost no head, and no lacing at all. Looks more still, by far, than expected. Strange.

Aroma is packed with prominent oak, mustiness, funk, sweet currants and sour cherries, slight vinegar underneath. Taste has all this and more; it’s fruity, sour, a bit tart and oaky. Not an over-the-top sour warhead-type beer, just well integrated sourness with the oak and a touch of vinegar. The currants are fairly subtle, with more tart cherry flavor than anything else. Definite must and funk; vinous, slightly sweet, very complex.

Medium bodied with low carbonation; I would have preferred a crisper, livelier, and cleaner feel, although the finish is quite dry. Interesting beer to be sure, curious about the stillness of this particularly bottle. Very good, but not as appealing as Supplication, Sanctification, or Temptation for my money.

04-24-2012 16:24:31 | More by tobelerone
GarthDanielson

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip, the beer pours a deep, dark amber color that appears to be clear, and starts with an inch of bubbly head that quickly vanishes down to nothing. The beer smell is an uncanny comparison to a light merlot. The currants are definitely apparent when you raise the glass to your nose. The beer has good carbonation throughout drinking, which helps to keep the heavy flavors light in mouth. The beer is sour on the tip of the tongue, and continues down the tongue, almost puckering at points. Dark fruit flavors abound throughout the mouth, with a slight peppery spice every once in a while. Very tasty, and again, the lightness and crispness provided by the steady carbonation make this a nice, smooth drink. The beer leaves a sour grape-type flavor in the mouth after each sip, but light. The sour aftertaste and the lingering finish pucker the mouth a bit, and it begs for another sip. Delicious!

03-03-2011 01:56:31 | More by GarthDanielson
jrallen34

4.3/5  rDev -4%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice. Batch 03.

This pours a light clear brown, very clear in the light. The head is very small with no retention, light lacing.

The aroma is light but pretty complex, especially compared to temptation, which I tasted at the same time. The sour funk is there but there notes of sweet druit, alcohol and wood, which is very pleasant.

The taste is very strange and heavy handed in the beginning. Its like the tannins of a red wine. There are some notes of oak and alcohol. The taste is very sour on the end. **Upon re-review 8 months later, I like it a lot better. The wood really mellows out and starts to show off a little more sweetness in the red wine variety.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, but not entirely drinkable.

Overall, pretty damn good sour, but not world class as its rating and ranking suggest. Worth trying but don't overpay or trade for it.

10-18-2009 01:34:10 | More by jrallen34
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

375ml bottle poured into a HotD Tulip glass.
Batch 006.

A - Pours a cola brown with a lively, foamy tan head. Good retention.

S - Tart cherry, red wine, spices.

T - Woody, red wine, funky, tart.

D - Tons of carbonation, light to medium body, fizzy.

O - Looks like another winner from Russian River.

10-23-2011 03:44:34 | More by HuskyinPDX
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours from caged and corked 750 ML bottle(Batch 001X2) a clear amber brown with a very spritzy head of foam. When it's spritzy, I know it's not going to last very long and it didn't. The bubbles surfacing to the top are keeping a small island afloat, so to speak. Hehe..the foam reminds me of pixels on a computer screen...

The smell is just as I remember from the samples I had at last year's GABF...Cabernet Sauvignon notes dominate with big notes of vanilla and oak and fruit that *is* currants. I love red currants on buttered toast and the smell here totally reminds me of that.

The taste is deliciously both sweet and tart up front. Maybe a bit more intense than I remember from the 1 oz samples but hey, I love that it is and I love the fact that I now have 25.4 oz, give or take a few as I've just taken a few sips, to take my time with and savour. The foam is now gone but I can still see the lively carbonation throwing up....errr...tossing...err..the bubbles are still making their way to the top nearly smack damn in the center of the glass.
Back to the taste. I'm now getting a pretty big kick from the Brett(sorry, I have a hard time spelling it out) and I'd be amiss if I didn't say there's a fair amount of caramel malt here, hence my first sentance on taste. Gee wiz this is so damn tasty and there's so much going on with the flavours, I can't describe them all properly.

Medium mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation, a plus in my book, it finishes with big sour and Brett notes. Wonderful!

Drinkability? 10%abv and I cannot taste it or feel it during or after the swallow. No warming for me at all but I *know* that when I finish this big bottle, I'll feel that all is right with the world, if that makes any sense. ;^)

Bottom line: A superb! American Wild Ale that I fell in love with from my very first sip. A must try for anyone who favours the style!

Finally..a big Thank You goes out to The Wine Underground in Englewood CO for making this available online!

03-08-2009 18:12:02 | More by Bitterbill
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Big thanks to MCLK for this as an extra! Batch 003X3. Served from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Pours a deep reddish brown with a two finger off white head that subsides to one quickly. Lots of carbonation rising to the top and makes a fizzing like a soda. Maintains decent lacing throughout. The aroma is comprised of yeast, bread, sour apple, and grapes. The flavor is of sour apple, grapes, very subtle alcohol, and citrus. It has a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was the first Wild Ale I had tried back at a tasting and it got me interested in the style. This is a very nice blend of flavors all in one package that makes my taste buds jump for joy after every sip. If you have not tried any Wild Ales, this might be a good place to start.

08-05-2010 22:05:57 | More by thagr81us