Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,572
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,629 | Reviews: 1,090
4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Barrel aged 6 months in oak with currants. Brett, sacc, pedio, and lacto cultures. Batch 002x2. Maroon label with a black and white line drawing of a spear, I assume the lance of Longinus. My fiance carried this back from Cali for me. Poured at 49° into a snifter. 1/8th inch head settles out instantly to a bubbly ring. The body of the beer is sorta a tawny port color, a reddish-orange in the deepest spots. Sweet oaky nose, some fruit, smells like a fruit forward red wine, not a lot of sour in the nose, maybe just a hint. The body is good, spritzy carbonation, lightly coating, lightly puckering. Flavor comes on strong with cherries, currants, very tart, a nice long rolling tartness, just a faint bit acetic, which I like in small quantities. Lots of oak, woody and dry, not vanilla, perhaps they used non-American barrels. As it's warmed slightly I'm picking up the brett in the nose, a kinda spicy chemical-leather. It's coming forward in the taste too, again, leathery and earthy melding into the sour fruits. The alcohol is really well hidden on this beast. It's an intense beverage to be sure, but well balanced, the tartness is just right, no real sign of the booze, goes down easily all things considered. I wish I had more of this stuff...

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Was lucky enough to score a bottle

The cork was the loudest cork ive ever heard and damn near flew out of my hand when i opened it. The instant sour fruit smell was heavenley, It pours a dark amber color, The taste is absurdly complex so much so im sure you could find almost any flavor you looked for. This and the brabant have mad me officaly change my favorite style from ris to american wild, an absolute must have for an ba

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a deep, dark scarlet. Not much head but a thin lace shows up later.

Smells like a sour wine but made with currants. There is a bit of a grape aroma that I'm detecting as well, but it's mostly sour currants and I'm okay with that.

Tastes like a sour-lovers dream. One of the sourest beers I've ever had, tart currants and grape-skins invade the pallet and the wine barrels come through in the taste as well.

For 10%, this is one of the most drinkable beers I have come across, and I will continue to do whatever I can to get my hands on this even if I have to drive 300+ miles every month.

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Poured a dark amber color with a nice 3/4 inch light brown head.

S: RIght off the bat, I could smell a lot of funky Bretty smells. You can also smell a little but if the currant and fruityness that goes into the sour

T: Very effervescent, and extremely tangy and sour. You can definitely taste the sourness from the currents and the oaky flavor lingers as an aftertaste.

M: Medium body, yet very light, enjoyable, effervescent mouthfeel

D:10%??? Doesn't feel like 10% at all, extremely easy to drink!

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into Duvel Tulip glass. Batch 002x3

Pours a pleasing woody red/brown, 1 finger head quickly diminishes without lacing. Nothing out of the ordinary for a wild ale.

Smells amazing, black cherries and funky oak. It's highly reminiscent of a great Gueuze I sampled in Belgium - perfectly aged.

The taste is awesome. My girlfriend calls it a cross between sour gummy worms and red wine. I get what she means - there's a pleasant fruitiness, but it's not overly sour, more a tart sweetness, balanced with the minimal beer undertones. A wild that even the Belgians would drink proudly.

The slight bite on the mouthfeel is all that keeps this from a 5, there. It's well rounded with a puckering start that gives way to a mouthwateringly-sweet finish

I'd drink more if they weren't 20 each ;). This is a beer I cannot think of a food to pair with. It stands alone to be tasted, enjoyed on its own merits.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Batch 2x1 - 750 ml bottle

A: Dark reddish brown in color and clear. Carbonated enough to create a small white head.

S: Very sour smell, typical for a Russian River sour. The currants and cabernet aromas come through loud and clear.

T: Excellent. Very tart and sour, but is palate pleasing. The fruit currants are definitely noticeable as is the flavor from the cabernet sauvignon oak barreling.

M: Feels bubbly feel and medium bodied.

O: Another great wild ale from Russian River. I have been lucky enough to have multiple vintages of Consecration. I am partial to the earlier batches of this beer, batches 1 and 2 being my favorites. Later batches are very similar, but don't seem to have the same levels of oak and fruit flavor.

The Cabernet Sauvignon barrels impart such a delicious flavor into this dark sour. Perfect level of tart.

4.93/5  rDev +9.6%

One of my favorite sours. Has a wine flavor

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Have had this many times on tap. Lets talk about a Saraveza pour. Ruby hue with a beige head. Tart, funky tones, with oak and yeast on the nose. Well carbonated which balanced the alcohol and tart, sour characteristics. I could feel the alcohol going down my esophagus which was pretty warming. Some flavors of oak and wild yeast which was noticeable but not as smooth and tart/sour as I would hope. And the currants were very subtle and in the background mostly and a little in the finish.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A very well balanced sour barrel aged beer. A wonderful fragrance amazing taste with a nice sour hint at the end.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Ruby red and dark mahogany color. Head dissipates fast, with minimal lacing.
S: Huge red wine and rye smell, with dried fruits. Absolutely phenomenal smell, unlike anything I've ever had before.
T: Huge cabernet sauvignon taste, dry like wine with woody taste (from barrels).
M: Huge carbonation, plays well with other nuances of the beer.
D: AMAZING. By far best beer I have ever had. For $17 for a 375mL it was totally worth it. Thank you Russian River.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer is awsome. It has a base beer of its Salvation and aged in Silver Oak Cab barrels. It is not over the top sour, but just perfect. It does have a cab after taste and a wine like feel. The Salvation does not seem to come through too much or at all and is about a percent higher than it.

Wonderful beer and wish it was bottled

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Had this back at GABF so I decided to crack a bottle of this as a Valentines gift to myself. Offered some to the wifey but she isn't a big fan of sours.

A: After the CO2 bomb settled it poured a beautiful dark red with a bubbly light red colored head.

S: Smell was funky, sour, tanic and full of a sweet acidity. Very appealing, so much so that it was hard to let it warm for more than a few minutes before taking the first sip.

T: Big cherry fruit sourness hits the edges of your tongue. Then sweet notes follow and tame it ever so much. The finish was soooo long and dry and the taste turned to grape skins. One of the best finishes I have ever experienced.

M: Light body due to the massive carbonation. As it should be for this style.

D: Very, VERY drinkable. I shared it with two others but could easily enjoy the bottle all to myself despite the high ABV.

Overall: I have loved each of the RR sours for what they offer and amazingly they are all different. This one is a welcome introduction into the world of dark sours and I absolutely loved it. An ace.

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent trip out to the RR brewpub in Santa Rosa. $22/bottle, but after trying a few glasses of the stuff at the pub I knew it was well worth the price.
I poured it into my Russian River goblet and was greeted by the tangy smell of Brett and the other wild yeast that Russian river uses to make their sours pack the punch they do. The color is deep, deep red, almost purple. Aromas of sour fruit, currents mainly, waft from the glass. The taste is just as lively and tangy as the smell, perhaps even more so. There's also a good deal of wine flavors here, in addition to the yeast and fruit elements. Surprisingly drinkable for a ten percent beer. This was the beer that made me fall in love with sours, and every time I drink it the moth puckering sensation reminds me of why I will never look at beer the same way again. This is an absolute must for sour fans, and highly, highly recommended for adventurous souls looking to break away from the usual.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a snifter, many thanks to augustgarage for my first Russian River brews. Batch 005X1F.

A- Pours a cloudy yellow brown with a small, quickly dissipating head.

S- Great aromas here. A mediocre amount of brett funk, and lost of red wine and oak. There is a very small presence of vinegar that is welcoming.

T- The brett really shines through in the taste. The perfect amount of tart and no alcohol at all. Hints of oak and red wine again.

M- Perfectly dry and full. Medium carbonation.

D- This is easily the most drinkable sour I have tried. There is no appearent alcohol and such wonderful flavor.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

not what i thought.. definitely a different styled ale.

3.8/5  rDev -15.6%

on tap at Saraveza.

EDIT: this was for batch 1; batch 2 and 3 are much better.

A dark reddish brown with no lacing. See-through, can not tell if there is a lot of carbonation from looking at glass.

S lots of tart cherries, wine funk and oak notes.

T Delicious. wine, citrus, and oak is present. very tart at first and then sour on finish. quite enjoyable.

M) Feels great can't complain on the feel of it. Consistent to what a sour should be. Sourness/puckering feeling is enjoyable.

D) I could drink a lot of this but due to how pricey it is I think I'll invest in bottling other sours. Glad I got a few bottles but glad I did not purchase an entire case. It will be very interesting to see how this one ages. A bit over hyped but quite delicious and an enjoyable experience.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A: Dark red amber with a quickly dissipating white head.
S: Red Wine, dark aroma. Very Sour smelling and intense.
T: Sour wine, cabernet sauvignon. Intense flavor. Very bitter.
M: Bitter aftertaste sits in your mouth for a while.
O: A delicious Sour Ale by Russian River.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a dark amber, purplish ruby red color; reminiscent of a wine. Nice one finger slightly off-white head, which retains for several seconds or so.

S: Aromas are revealing a vinous, cabernet, wine ratio which is nicely supplemented by funky notes of figs, oak, cherry, plums, brown sugar, lemon, dark fruits and of course accompanied by sourness. The notes/intricacies on this guy are fantastic

T: Sour, tart, and funk are quite prevailing and pleasing. In keeping with the smell, the taste is that of a vinous, wine feel. Notes are that of grapes, raisins, lemon, cherry, slight vinegar, and a woody oak earthiness feel; very similar to the smell

M: Medium to Full body, medium carbonation, lots of sour funk, the presence of wine, and just an overall complex beer

O: Complex and incredible; being extremely well balanced and very smooth make this out to be a superbly refreshing beverage

3.57/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle. Bottled on 08/11/14. Enjoyed 02/22/15. I had heard nothing besides greatness about the Russian River Brewing Company, and with an interest in sours, I knew I had to try Consecration. Ended up scouting this guy out and shelling over $16 for a 375 ml bottle! Damn! The most expensive beer I have ever purchased to date (by far!).

A: Murky/turbid due to being fermented in the bottle. Amber to slightly purple color. Very nicely carbonated. Poured pretty foamy, but the head died off rather quickly.

S: First impression was a very strong alcohol smell followed by wine/currants. Light Cabernet aroma. Surprisingly to me, this beer doesn't pack whole lot of aroma.

T: Currants, oak, and wine were the first flavors I distinguished. You can definitely tell that this is aged in Cabernet barrels. Not very sour compared to other sour beers I have had before. Not overpowering at all. Sweet, but not too much so. Dry funky flavors pull their way though--I'm thinking it's the Brettanomyces. Dry finish. Champagne-like effervescence. Tamarind notes found in the aftertaste.

M: Leaves the tongue with a tannic feel. Must be from the barrel.

O: Overall, this beer is very dry, very oaky, very wine-like, lightly acidic, with a strong alcohol taste. I hate to sound sacrilegious, but this beer really didn't do it for me. It just wasn't what I was looking for. If I really wanted all of those wine flavors, I might as well have gone with wine. I have found a few Belgian sours to be more pleasurable and interesting to me, but it is obvious that many people get very excited about this beer, so I couldn't not recommend it. At this price point though, I think I'll be holding off for a while before reevaluating this interesting creation.

4.6/5  rDev +2.2%

"Like wine that's gone bad with butter..." according to a friend, but in a very delicious way.
Looks rich and red like wine, smells sweet and fruity like wine, and has a very mild mouthfeel (mainly from the casket I'm sure) but very smooth like wine, and tastes like a sweet wine that's been out a little while, all the while still being a 10% beer that dances on the line of what is considered beer.

That being said, this is an incredibly unique beer that explores the boundaries of what beer can be. I loved it and was very sad when I reached the bottom of my 6 oz pour. Will definitely drink again!

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

From notes -

Poured into a Russian River glass

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish chestnut brown with lots of carbonation coming from the bottom (almost looks like a sake soda). Almost no head, just a thin layer kept alive from the heavy flow of bubbles.

Aroma: Sour apple and berries, with a hint of sweet wine smell coming from the barrels.

Taste: Sour candy like taste similar to the smell, but making it hard to identify individual flavors. Sour grape, apples, berries, and a wine flavor leading into a sweet finish. The tartness subsides as Consecration warms.

Palette: Smooth, light bodied, and crisp - which is surprising given the amount of carbonation.

Overall: Not as sour or flavorful as New Belgium's La Folie, but better than most other sours I've had - especially given that it doesn't cost near as much as La Folie. A complex blend of fruity flavors but maybe a bit too sour as its a tad over powering. Definitely a contender for one of my favorites.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured froma 375ml bottle into a tulip at Euclid Hall.

A: Pours a rich dark brown similar to a dark scotch or whisky with no head whatsoever. Lacing is lean if at all. Reminds me of a glass filled with a spirit.

S: Intense tart and sour notes. Currents are dominate for main flavor but oak is present as well. Touch of sweetness similar to vanilla pop up here and there but overall this is a very sour beer.

T: Clean and balanced but still quite tart and sour. Big sour and tart notes hit the palate up front with current as the fruit. Current is very dominate but the entire flavor is clean and balanced with just a touch of oak and wood.

M: Full bodied and clings to the palate, front to back, from start to finish. There is zero carbonation, the bite from this beer comes from the sour affects of yeast and barrel aging.

D: This is an amazing sour. The barrel aging in Cabernet barrels with currents truly gives you a puckering affect that's sour and tart from start to finish. This isn't over done on sour instead is incredibly balanced for how intense and big this beer is.

4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

Batch 006 Poured from 375ml into Chimay goblet

A - Poured like a cocacola at first; fizzy with a quickly appearing and quickly diminishing head leaving no lacing. Also similar in color, although hazy. At first, I was planning on rating the appearance much lower due to the lack of a stable foam, but what it revealed when it disappeared was the most active fluid surface I'd ever seen on a beer, bubbles wisping around and dancing carbonation on the surface that showed me an active beer. Makes me feel like I'm about to drink a living thing, which I really dig.

S - Strong upfront dark cherry tartness with a very muted malty note underneath that seems to tessellate perfectly in place with the tartness. An almost tannic like red wine aroma as well, that reveals a bit of sourness at the end of the tart.

T - Very wine-like in flavor, as could have been expected, with an extremely sour bite to finish it off. The sourness chased away the dark fruit notes I got in the nose, but that doesn't bother much, as the sourness accentuates the citrusy flavor of the hops. No hoppy bitterness, preserving the flavor of the hops, while allowing all the bitterness to flow from its sourness. Altogether solid flavor profile that beguiled me at first and commanded my full attention.

M - Crisp and effevescent, and yet somehow still managed to be silky... I'm really not sure how this overall texture was pulled off, but its one of a kind. Hides it's booziness well in the medium body.

O - This particular beer confused me more than anything. Granted, I've not had much experience with sours to date, but I still imagine this has greater depth than most. I'd say its sourness in taste overpowered some of the darker fruits that the scent gives off, and the final product ends up tasting a bit like a carbonated grapefruit juice without any sweetener. But there is much more here. As it warmed, I felt that the malt I detected in the nose came out a bit more, but the yeastiness was seemingly lost in the sour. I enjoyed this, and have a bottle in the cellar that I look forward to revisiting in a year's time to see how it changed.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Red and fizzy. This was sour, like a beer brewed with warhead candy. The taste crosses the line of tart to sour, its much like a white wine or champagne. It was hard to pick out much of the flavor over the sourness, but it was certainly different and enjoyable. I would love to drink this again, but not tonight. The flavor is intense, and while fun, does not promote drinking much of it.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company