Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,096 | Hads: 4,853
4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

375 ml bottle.

A: Brown pour, ruby highlights, thin, off-white to tan head faded pretty quick but left decent lace.

S: Funky, sour, lactic tang, dark fruit, black currant, cask wood. A huge nose with the promise of great things to taste.

T: Incredibly sour, tangy, oaky. Black currant, dark, bready malt, barnyard, brett bitterness, lacto tanginess, vinous, tobacco leaves.

M: Highly carbonated, satisfying. The carbonation balances the intense sourness well.

D: Incredible. Amazing. Easily rivals anything brewed in Belgium. Brewing brilliance at its finest. I wish it were more widely available.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Corked and Caged 750ml bottle. Batch 001x2. Very loud noise upon pulling the cork, look out!! Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Had a reddish brown color to it with a thin head that reseeded quickly. No lacing.

S. Sour smell with red wine hints and currants

T. This was my first ever sour and its quite amazing, I must say. This definitely got better as it warmed. Just an explosion of red grapes, sour notes and wood notes. Very complex.

MF. Champagne like carbonation to it.

D. This is a highly drinkable beer, can hardly even taste the alcohol. This was an amazing beer for me, definitely gonna be looking for many more sours now. Well worth the 23 dollar price tag.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Reviewing from Notes. This whale , for me at least, was shared with me by a generous friend and new to trading techster82. It was his first sour and first beer trade.

A nice introduction to both Id say..

Batch001X4 - 750ml Caged and Corked.

A -Dark and Deep Red, Almost brown and fairly opaque. Very little head if any.

S - Lots of sourness, dark and sweet candy. I pick up some new fruit and slight oak as well.

T - Just amazing. I not completely versed in how these tend to age but I find the sourness fades a bit and the fruit becomes more evident. The currants, fig, and candy notes were outstanding and really stood up the brett/lacto nicely. The oak tends to develop nicely and become more prevalent with aging. It was only a bit but I felt like the oak was there on the finish. I was surprised it had any left but the carbonation was perfect.

M - Perfect. The carbonation wasn't low but just the way I prefer for this style.

What a great vintage and an even better way to share with friends. Thanks techster82

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to Vissai for this new beer!

Poured from a bottle into my tulip

A: Great ruby red color with little head that fades quickly.

S: I love the sour aroma with this one. I do get traces of the Cab coming through.

T: Ok the sickly sweet sour notes are fantastic here. This is a great taste for sure with the wine coming in strong on the background.

M: Slight carbonation but this beer masks the high alcohol level for sure.

O: I seriously enjoyed this beer more than I thought it would. After sharing this one with some family, I think I'll come back to this one again soon.

4.99/5  rDev +13.2%

Serving Type- Poured on tap at Russian River Brewery

Appearance- Dark ruby red color, two finger white head the goes away very quickly

Smell- Dark cherries, funk, sour, neutral oak, just an amazing sour smell

Taste- WOW, Dark cherries, funk, sour, neutral oak tannin in the back of the palate, the BEST sour I have ever had and using Cab Barrels for aging is genius and comes through in a vinnus character

Mouthfeel- Tart, sweet, dry

Overall- The BEST Sour I have ever had and one of the top 5 beers I have ever had

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle from Batch 3 poured into a tulip glass.

A - Translucent chestnut, fizzy head, no retention or lacing.

S - Small amount of brown sugar, dry vinous, small notes of dark fruit, sour funk.

T - First glass full was overpowered by brett funk and tart. Not the expected lemon zest tart like a gueze, dry vinous tart from the carbarnet grapes. Taste failed to capture the complexity of the nose... until the second pour. Each sip brought different complexities, brown sugar and dark sweet fruits (date, fig). Palate ends with strong dose of oak.

M - Fizzy carbonation, good for this style, light bodied.

D - Delicious, complex wild ale, far exceeded my expectations. Yet, between the ABV and dry finish, finishing this big bottle was a bit laborious.

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. Very nice looking beer. Labeled a wild ale and its def a solid sour beer. Not a huge fan of sour beer at this point but i can handle them. This beer is awesome. 10% stands out but the taste is so good. The smell is outstanding.

I believe its worth the hype. His beer would just get better with age. Rating may be higher if i had my wild ale/sours under my belt. Comparing this with Brux, another wild ale. Brux is avg at best, brrr is $$$.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

By the time it was served to me there was no head. Left no lacing. Dark cherry red. Really a beautiful looking brew.

Berry juices and lemonade to the nose.

Definitely get berry and fruit juices up front, later some wine characteristics. Then a bitter taste, like lemon juice. I was in awe after my first sip. Alcohol is hidden well, especially at 10%. Awesome.

Very carbonated, but man this beer is smooth. Could definitely slam the whole bottle. But might be in a little trouble. Will buy this again whenever I see it. Absolutely worth the money. Worth searching for. Very new to the style of wild ales but this was one hell of a start.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft, poured into a wine glass.

Appearance: ruby brown and clear, with a light tan head that fades quickly to a thin veil. Very small bubbles; spritzy. I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but this is a beer, and from this beer's appearance, I knew it would be good.

Aroma: stone fruit and sour.

Taste: nice and sour. Tart, but not mouth puckering so. Tartness is upfront, which fades to a dry finish at which point the Brett funk arrives. The Brett funk is subdued. I can't detect any of the currants. The beer is wonderfully smooth for being 10% ABV. No alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: light-medium.

Overall: this is probably the highest rated beer I've tried. Honestly, I think this beer is overhyped. It is good - very good - but not deserving a BA score of 4.5/5.0. Of the sours I've tried recently, I prefer (in order) Crooked Stave Sentience, Trinity Red Swingline and Boulevard Love Child #3 (cellared 1 year).

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

To be quite honest, I had mixed feelings about plunking down $22 for a 750ml bottle, but I wisely listened to a friend who said it was more than worth it. Batch #002x1.

A - Initial carbonation was high with a 2-3 finger head that dissapated quickly. Nice and dark like a fine brandy.

S - Funky and sour! Hard to believe there aren't any cherries in this one. I get a red wine vinegar, green apple, oak and sour grapes. This is gonna be good!!

T - Wow! Just like it smells, sour green apples, a hint of red wine vinegar and dark bitter cherries. I tried like hell but could not pick up the vanilla mentioned by other reviewers. Un-Godly well balanced!

M - Carbonation seemed high when I popped the cork, but was perfect on my palate. Dry and oh so tart with just the perfect acidity.

D - This is actually very scary. I did not even get a hint of alcohol here. 10%? It could be 2% and I would not have noticed. Yet even with alcohol taking a backseat, it was so satisfying that I wanted to prolong drinking this like no other.

Overall, I don't see many sours coming close to this. Vinnie hits it on the head once again. May be arguably the best to come out of Santa Rosa ever.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Had at Monk's Cafe in Philly

A: Vinous purple with a head that quickly dissipates.

N: Dark fruit, and quite vinous. I'm starting to see a trend here. The oak aging, currants, and cabernet are all showing themselves.

T: Deep fruit flavors, with a nice sour undercurrent running through it. Lot's of wine characteristics here. Dark red wine and tannins being tasted upon exhale. After swallowing, pleasant ripe fruit odors fill the mouth.

Overall, a very nice beer - one of the most compley I've tasted. Very full bodied, with sour flavors playing 2nd fiddle to the fruit and oak. I'd love to see some age on this beer, where hopefully some of the fruit will calm down a hair, allowing the brett/sour to show through.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Big thanks to jyoungsbcp for hooking me up with this trade, I have been looking forward to this beer for a while, and warming myself up to sours (falling in love with them). Poured into my trusty DFH signature glass.

A: A reddish brown that is dark but surprisingly clear. A quarter inch or less of an off white head

S: Smells kind of like someones apple cider went bad. Sour apples with a bunch of funk.

T: Tastes like sour apples with a bunch of sour, funk and sour funk. A sharp sour finish to it.

M: Smooth, but well carbonated. Acidic.

D: I am in love with sours. At 10% this is way up there when it comes to sours, goes down incredibly easy.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Amazing beer. Russian River proves to be the best American sour producer there is with ever sour they make. Consecration is an amazingly well crafted beer and Vinnie has one of the greatest palates ever to be able to taste this beer out of the barrel and know whether it is time to bottle it yet. Consecration blows my mind every time I drink a bottle.

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: No head at all glowing amber mahogany in color
S: Fresh and a bit funky (funky fresh) cherry
T: Fantastic Cab, Cherry taste... 7/10 sourness
M: Nice and grippy but also refreshing
O: really liked it, very unique but to the point, very good bench mark for sours from russian river

Tried one after a little bit of age, much more of the current taste cherry falls in the background, as it warms you taste that base beer more, most definitely a good ager

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Barrel aged 6 months in oak with currants. Brett, sacc, pedio, and lacto cultures. Batch 002x2. Maroon label with a black and white line drawing of a spear, I assume the lance of Longinus. My fiance carried this back from Cali for me. Poured at 49° into a snifter. 1/8th inch head settles out instantly to a bubbly ring. The body of the beer is sorta a tawny port color, a reddish-orange in the deepest spots. Sweet oaky nose, some fruit, smells like a fruit forward red wine, not a lot of sour in the nose, maybe just a hint. The body is good, spritzy carbonation, lightly coating, lightly puckering. Flavor comes on strong with cherries, currants, very tart, a nice long rolling tartness, just a faint bit acetic, which I like in small quantities. Lots of oak, woody and dry, not vanilla, perhaps they used non-American barrels. As it's warmed slightly I'm picking up the brett in the nose, a kinda spicy chemical-leather. It's coming forward in the taste too, again, leathery and earthy melding into the sour fruits. The alcohol is really well hidden on this beast. It's an intense beverage to be sure, but well balanced, the tartness is just right, no real sign of the booze, goes down easily all things considered. I wish I had more of this stuff...

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Was lucky enough to score a bottle

The cork was the loudest cork ive ever heard and damn near flew out of my hand when i opened it. The instant sour fruit smell was heavenley, It pours a dark amber color, The taste is absurdly complex so much so im sure you could find almost any flavor you looked for. This and the brabant have mad me officaly change my favorite style from ris to american wild, an absolute must have for an ba

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a deep, dark scarlet. Not much head but a thin lace shows up later.

Smells like a sour wine but made with currants. There is a bit of a grape aroma that I'm detecting as well, but it's mostly sour currants and I'm okay with that.

Tastes like a sour-lovers dream. One of the sourest beers I've ever had, tart currants and grape-skins invade the pallet and the wine barrels come through in the taste as well.

For 10%, this is one of the most drinkable beers I have come across, and I will continue to do whatever I can to get my hands on this even if I have to drive 300+ miles every month.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

A: Poured a dark amber color with a nice 3/4 inch light brown head.

S: RIght off the bat, I could smell a lot of funky Bretty smells. You can also smell a little but if the currant and fruityness that goes into the sour

T: Very effervescent, and extremely tangy and sour. You can definitely taste the sourness from the currents and the oaky flavor lingers as an aftertaste.

M: Medium body, yet very light, enjoyable, effervescent mouthfeel

D:10%??? Doesn't feel like 10% at all, extremely easy to drink!

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into Duvel Tulip glass. Batch 002x3

Pours a pleasing woody red/brown, 1 finger head quickly diminishes without lacing. Nothing out of the ordinary for a wild ale.

Smells amazing, black cherries and funky oak. It's highly reminiscent of a great Gueuze I sampled in Belgium - perfectly aged.

The taste is awesome. My girlfriend calls it a cross between sour gummy worms and red wine. I get what she means - there's a pleasant fruitiness, but it's not overly sour, more a tart sweetness, balanced with the minimal beer undertones. A wild that even the Belgians would drink proudly.

The slight bite on the mouthfeel is all that keeps this from a 5, there. It's well rounded with a puckering start that gives way to a mouthwateringly-sweet finish

I'd drink more if they weren't 20 each ;). This is a beer I cannot think of a food to pair with. It stands alone to be tasted, enjoyed on its own merits.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Batch 2x1 - 750 ml bottle

A: Dark reddish brown in color and clear. Carbonated enough to create a small white head.

S: Very sour smell, typical for a Russian River sour. The currants and cabernet aromas come through loud and clear.

T: Excellent. Very tart and sour, but is palate pleasing. The fruit currants are definitely noticeable as is the flavor from the cabernet sauvignon oak barreling.

M: Feels bubbly feel and medium bodied.

O: Another great wild ale from Russian River. I have been lucky enough to have multiple vintages of Consecration. I am partial to the earlier batches of this beer, batches 1 and 2 being my favorites. Later batches are very similar, but don't seem to have the same levels of oak and fruit flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

A: Pours a dark amber, purplish ruby red color; reminiscent of a wine. Nice one finger slightly off-white head, which retains for several seconds or so.

S: Aromas are revealing a vinous, cabernet, wine ratio which is nicely supplemented by funky notes of figs, oak, cherry, plums, brown sugar, lemon, dark fruits and of course accompanied by sourness. The notes/intricacies on this guy are fantastic

T: Sour, tart, and funk are quite prevailing and pleasing. In keeping with the smell, the taste is that of a vinous, wine feel. Notes are that of grapes, raisins, lemon, cherry, slight vinegar, and a woody oak earthiness feel; very similar to the smell

M: Medium to Full body, medium carbonation, lots of sour funk, the presence of wine, and just an overall complex beer

O: Complex and incredible; being extremely well balanced and very smooth make this out to be a superbly refreshing beverage

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

Have had this many times on tap. Lets talk about a Saraveza pour. Ruby hue with a beige head. Tart, funky tones, with oak and yeast on the nose. Well carbonated which balanced the alcohol and tart, sour characteristics. I could feel the alcohol going down my esophagus which was pretty warming. Some flavors of oak and wild yeast which was noticeable but not as smooth and tart/sour as I would hope. And the currants were very subtle and in the background mostly and a little in the finish.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Ruby red and dark mahogany color. Head dissipates fast, with minimal lacing.
S: Huge red wine and rye smell, with dried fruits. Absolutely phenomenal smell, unlike anything I've ever had before.
T: Huge cabernet sauvignon taste, dry like wine with woody taste (from barrels).
M: Huge carbonation, plays well with other nuances of the beer.
D: AMAZING. By far best beer I have ever had. For $17 for a 375mL it was totally worth it. Thank you Russian River.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

This beer is awsome. It has a base beer of its Salvation and aged in Silver Oak Cab barrels. It is not over the top sour, but just perfect. It does have a cab after taste and a wine like feel. The Salvation does not seem to come through too much or at all and is about a percent higher than it.

Wonderful beer and wish it was bottled

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Had this back at GABF so I decided to crack a bottle of this as a Valentines gift to myself. Offered some to the wifey but she isn't a big fan of sours.

A: After the CO2 bomb settled it poured a beautiful dark red with a bubbly light red colored head.

S: Smell was funky, sour, tanic and full of a sweet acidity. Very appealing, so much so that it was hard to let it warm for more than a few minutes before taking the first sip.

T: Big cherry fruit sourness hits the edges of your tongue. Then sweet notes follow and tame it ever so much. The finish was soooo long and dry and the taste turned to grape skins. One of the best finishes I have ever experienced.

M: Light body due to the massive carbonation. As it should be for this style.

D: Very, VERY drinkable. I shared it with two others but could easily enjoy the bottle all to myself despite the high ABV.

Overall: I have loved each of the RR sours for what they offer and amazingly they are all different. This one is a welcome introduction into the world of dark sours and I absolutely loved it. An ace.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company