2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,175 | Reviews: 1,004 | Show All Ratings:
Cedromar

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Split a bottle with my lady. Batch 1x003.

Pour gives a lovely ruddy ruby color with mild bubbles that don't stick around, I guess they were feeling shy.

Smell of a nice sour Cabernet.

The taste is wonderful, sour, funky, fruity. Currants up front then the sour acidity followed by the leathery brett.

Mouthfeel is again wonderful, good carbonation.

I could drink this again and again and again. However, this ranks behind Supplication and Beatification for me.

04-05-2009 22:48:26 | More by Cedromar
notyourdadsbeer

Colorado

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured froma 375ml bottle into a tulip at Euclid Hall.

A: Pours a rich dark brown similar to a dark scotch or whisky with no head whatsoever. Lacing is lean if at all. Reminds me of a glass filled with a spirit.

S: Intense tart and sour notes. Currents are dominate for main flavor but oak is present as well. Touch of sweetness similar to vanilla pop up here and there but overall this is a very sour beer.

T: Clean and balanced but still quite tart and sour. Big sour and tart notes hit the palate up front with current as the fruit. Current is very dominate but the entire flavor is clean and balanced with just a touch of oak and wood.

M: Full bodied and clings to the palate, front to back, from start to finish. There is zero carbonation, the bite from this beer comes from the sour affects of yeast and barrel aging.

D: This is an amazing sour. The barrel aging in Cabernet barrels with currents truly gives you a puckering affect that's sour and tart from start to finish. This isn't over done on sour instead is incredibly balanced for how intense and big this beer is.

03-29-2011 04:53:07 | More by notyourdadsbeer
Wreckoncile

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

Batch 006 Poured from 375ml into Chimay goblet

A - Poured like a cocacola at first; fizzy with a quickly appearing and quickly diminishing head leaving no lacing. Also similar in color, although hazy. At first, I was planning on rating the appearance much lower due to the lack of a stable foam, but what it revealed when it disappeared was the most active fluid surface I'd ever seen on a beer, bubbles wisping around and dancing carbonation on the surface that showed me an active beer. Makes me feel like I'm about to drink a living thing, which I really dig.

S - Strong upfront dark cherry tartness with a very muted malty note underneath that seems to tessellate perfectly in place with the tartness. An almost tannic like red wine aroma as well, that reveals a bit of sourness at the end of the tart.

T - Very wine-like in flavor, as could have been expected, with an extremely sour bite to finish it off. The sourness chased away the dark fruit notes I got in the nose, but that doesn't bother much, as the sourness accentuates the citrusy flavor of the hops. No hoppy bitterness, preserving the flavor of the hops, while allowing all the bitterness to flow from its sourness. Altogether solid flavor profile that beguiled me at first and commanded my full attention.

M - Crisp and effevescent, and yet somehow still managed to be silky... I'm really not sure how this overall texture was pulled off, but its one of a kind. Hides it's booziness well in the medium body.

O - This particular beer confused me more than anything. Granted, I've not had much experience with sours to date, but I still imagine this has greater depth than most. I'd say its sourness in taste overpowered some of the darker fruits that the scent gives off, and the final product ends up tasting a bit like a carbonated grapefruit juice without any sweetener. But there is much more here. As it warmed, I felt that the malt I detected in the nose came out a bit more, but the yeastiness was seemingly lost in the sour. I enjoyed this, and have a bottle in the cellar that I look forward to revisiting in a year's time to see how it changed.

08-10-2011 03:12:42 | More by Wreckoncile
wogreen

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%

Batch 005X1E

A - reddish brown, 1st pour was very clear, though the bottom definitely had some murkiness

S - a very pungent sour smell

T - sour cherries, a hint of wine flavors. id note that i originally drank 1 from this same batch 1 year ago and the wine notes are much more pleasant and mellow than they i remember

M -tannin-like mouthfeel, tart though again mellower than i remember

O - a phenomenal sour if you like sours, a nice blend that blends the best of wines and beers

03-11-2013 23:46:07 | More by wogreen
liquidcraft

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Red and fizzy. This was sour, like a beer brewed with warhead candy. The taste crosses the line of tart to sour, its much like a white wine or champagne. It was hard to pick out much of the flavor over the sourness, but it was certainly different and enjoyable. I would love to drink this again, but not tonight. The flavor is intense, and while fun, does not promote drinking much of it.

06-02-2010 11:54:15 | More by liquidcraft
dwagner003

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap, out of bottles fresh and out of bottles with 8-10 months of aging. On tap, which is the basis for this rating, it was one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had the pleasure of smelling/drinking.

It's a deep reddish-brown color with almost no head. As it sits, there are absolutely no bubbles on top. The smell hits you immediately and it's just unreal. It smells sour, but there is so much more in there. Wonderfully warming oaky notes with some sweetness in the background. You can smell it from across the table.

The initial taste is that of tartness, but just wait a few seconds. Your palate is bathed with this sweetness that is perfectly subtle. The oak erupts and you can taste all those years that these barrels were filled with Cabernet. I don't taste the currants exactly, but I am sure they are contributing to the subtle sweetness.

If it wasn't for my preference towards sweeter Belgian tripels, the taste would be a 5 as well. I cannot imagine many better Wild Ales than this.

This was FAR superior to the bottled versions. I'd buy bottles again, but I will always order it if it's available on tap.

04-01-2013 03:54:30 | More by dwagner003
cavemanlawyer

Oregon

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap today at Saraveza in Portland.

While I will state up front that I prefer Supplication, having this on tap was a real treat. It is my #2 Russian River sour.

On the initial whiff, you get light sour cherry / , currant-sweetness . It is surprising how sweet it smells compared to the taste. You can detect hints of the funk and sour to come, but it takes a moment to develop. Nice and musty, complex, and very pleasant aroma.

My only complaint is that it is a bit effervescent, at least straight from the tap, which affects the mouth feel and taste just a bit. I found that by holding it in my mouth and swirling a bit, it really reduces tha carbonation and brings out the flavor.

It is impossible to tell this is 10% just by drinking it. No alcohol hits the palate whatsover. Amazing drinkability on this one.

Love this and all of the RR sours. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up...

01-28-2011 00:54:25 | More by cavemanlawyer
rwmiscik

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Amazing beer. Russian River proves to be the best American sour producer there is with ever sour they make. Consecration is an amazingly well crafted beer and Vinnie has one of the greatest palates ever to be able to taste this beer out of the barrel and know whether it is time to bottle it yet. Consecration blows my mind every time I drink a bottle.

07-02-2011 15:52:42 | More by rwmiscik
JimmyTango

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To me this is everything geat about Roddenbach Grand Cru time a thousand... more complexity, more sourness, more leather, more better. Clear brown with a dark red tint. Amazing! Currants, jucy, sour, balanced, tobacco, oak, and clove. Its hard for me to describe just how much you’ll like it. Subtle and delicious but crazy complex. Get it!

05-02-2012 22:11:30 | More by JimmyTango
funkyaudio

Pours out dark brown black with thin brown foam which quickly falls. Smells is sweet and funky with some wood. Taste is fizzy with nice tartness. Great sour cherry notes with some funk present. Dry finish with great sticky sweetness. One of their best beers.

09-20-2012 05:04:47 | More by funkyaudio
BeerZombies1

Nevada

American wild ale
10% ABV

APPEARANCE: Gorgeous colors in this beer. Deep ruby mahogany, with a burnt orange rim variation. Little to no head with very light lacing.

AROMA: Nice and sour fruit right away. The Cabernet barrel explodes with notes of oak, currants, black cherry jam some barnyard funk rounds it out.

TASTE: Very tart lots of green apples which I didn't get on the nose. Fades rather quickly into the currant and cherries. Definitely getting that Cabernet flavors and nice oakiness.

MOUTHFEEL: Oddly enough without having a head on the beer there is a lot of prickly carbonation. Medium bodied slight oily feel maybe due to the Cabernet barrels.

OVERALL: Great, easily approachable sour. Wine drinkers will really appreciate the complex flavor profiles. Thoroughly enjoyed this, I think sharing the bottle was the way to go. The high ABV is hidden well and makes it almost to easy to drink.

RATING: 4/5 Zombie Heads!

03-07-2014 10:07:05 | More by BeerZombies1
SFBeerGuy

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Poured a murky deep brown with exceptionally lively carbonation which left a tan/caramel colored soda-like head that came and went very fast. Carbonation ribbons did not cease until the end of the drink.

S- Intoxicating and complex. Seemingly imbibed with some sort of dark magick. Alcohol is present here but not overwhelming. Bites the nose with a tangy ripeness of dried fruit. Dates, raisins, currants, dark earth spice and black pepper. Smoke. Just a hint of sweet caramel appears when swirled. Truely complex. I don't think I am qualified to describe this in its fullest.

T- A fragile malt background wants to get through the sourness of this beer. Its there but is overpowered by sour grapes, cranberries, and apricot. Dried currants shine through here as well. This ale becomes more balanced and less aggressive to the senses as it warms up.

M- Light, active, cleansing. Seems to leave no part of the mouth unaffected.

D- Share this one with someone. An ale which needs to be experienced by many. This ale is definitely not for all but is an excellent example of true artistry at work. Beers (and breweries) like this give me hope for the industry and make me proud to say I am a beer drinker (and maker). Thumbs up for originality and passion. My hat is off to you Vinnie.

05-08-2009 03:30:42 | More by SFBeerGuy
punkindrublic50

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

04-14-2010 18:05:46 | More by punkindrublic50
Rimbimhoot

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Bottled on 7/18/13. Poured into Bruery snifter.

Appearance is dark ruby, mahogany, clear but hard to see through. No head.

Smell is dark fruits, mild red wine, sweet fruit snacks, red berries.

Taste is dark fruit, currants, red wine tannins, tart, some oak character.

Mouth feel is medium light, dry finish like a wine. Prefect amount of light carbonation.

Overall this is another fantastic sour from Russian River. The flavor profile keeps changing with each sip. Will seek out again

10-27-2013 22:21:22 | More by Rimbimhoot
Sandstone

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Another Russian River homerun.

Having long been a lover of sours, I couldn't have been more excited to try this beer. Thankfully my girlfriend indulged me and we made the pilgrimage up to Toronado's for Russian River TION night.

The first sip of this beer, I knew I was in for something special. I've had beers that tried to toe the line between beer and wine before (Craftsman's Cabernale... I'm looking at you) but never have I had one that did it this successfully.

I took a sip and handed it to my girlfriend, the wine snob to my beer geek, and waited for her verdict.

"Wow, this is really good."

"Yeah, I know!"

Trying to describe this beer, it is just so difficult to do it justice. The flavors are many and layered. Probably one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

My attempt: Notes of black currant, sour cherry, oak, all with a perfect touch of acid and funk that compliments the beer, rather than defines it.

This is going to be a tough beer to find, but trust me, the search will be worth it. This is one of those breakthrough beers that really pushes a new style to the forefront.

02-17-2009 08:41:21 | More by Sandstone
Bcaulin

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep reddish brown color -- has some ruby highlights when held up to the light. Nice big light khaki head -- very nice carbonation. It's not a big mess of head, but a careful pour is necessary to keep this one in check.

Blown away by the amount of wine and grape in the nose. I wasn't expecting a big hit from the Cab Barrels, but it is there for sure, and it matches perfectly with the sour berry smells. The oak balances it out a little.

Taste is over the top -- perfect combination of sour bite and fruity, oaky smoothness. They don't seem like things that necessarily go together, but this one has it all. Aside from the chewy and viscous feel, you could have convinced me this had half the ABV it does -- so perfectly hidden away.

Could easily down this one quickly, but it would be such a shame to get to the end any faster than necessary. This is the type of beer that makes you want to go back and rethink some previous ratings -- completely redefined what the style can be.

04-28-2009 03:21:11 | More by Bcaulin
hopjuicer

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

The last of the bottles I brought back from my honeymoon in Portland.

750 ml bottle poured in a tulip.

Pours a dark brown/amber. Nice and foamy thick head, about two inches. Cork popped pretty hard when I opened it. Could see a little bit of moisture around the cork, I think it must have vented just a little.

Smell is heavenly. Very tart and sweet, floral, hints of oak and cherries.

Taste is all sour to begin, but is quickly followed by sweet fruit flavors, cherries, currants, grapefruit, and apples.

Excellent beer. Wish it was readily available in Illinois.

10-07-2010 01:11:58 | More by hopjuicer
metal850

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours red-brown, with slight haze and a light haze that quickly drops to nothing.

S: Vinous, particularly white wine and oak, with a nice sourness and slight funk.

T: Sour and funky, the funk is incredible complex, acetic, sweet brett flavor, just amazing, lingering grape skin aftertaste and a slight alcoholic warming.

M: Medium carbonation and a light body for such a big beer.

O: Delicious, such a complex funk.

08-28-2011 21:59:25 | More by metal850
mtwentz

Washington

3.95/5  rDev -11.6%

poured from a not full liter growler into a duvel tulip.

I got this ale, what, 4 days ago. I was a little disappointed that the tender left about an inch of air, but fortunate enough to get a growler of this delicious liquid (how do you spell beverege?).

Pours a deep purplish red. I poured from a height to revitalize some carbonation, though the ceramic plug Did give a nice pop. The off white foam disappeared almost immediately.

Smells like wine vinegar, slight dill, maybe a tinge of cranberry or some tart red berry.

The mouthfeel is soft across the palate and coats the lips like a soft red wine. Theres the dill again and sourness that gives way to more of the cranberry/currant tones. Theres a bit of sugar that I can actually feel light up endorfins, but the ale finishes somewhat dry. Makes the saliva glands leak with the sourness.

Serving type: growler

03-01-2011 05:20:16 | More by mtwentz
brendaniel

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured a dark amber - almost ruby red with minimal head and very little lacing. Beer was extremely aromatic and immediately noticeable once the cork was removed. Smells of a yeasty cabernet, wild cherries, roasty malts and oak. Those aroma characteristics were consistent with the flavor of the brew, some mild tartiness and yeasy flavors - a medium to heavy body, creamy texture and light carbonation ... very interesting. Not one I would continue to pursue due to personal tastes - but a very interesting beer to sample!!

12-11-2011 12:48:59 | More by brendaniel
Patrick2012

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Dark red amber with a quickly dissipating white head.
S: Red Wine, dark aroma. Very Sour smelling and intense.
T: Sour wine, cabernet sauvignon. Intense flavor. Very bitter.
M: Bitter aftertaste sits in your mouth for a while.
O: A delicious Sour Ale by Russian River.

01-01-2013 02:25:21 | More by Patrick2012
myatomicpolygon

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 004x4

Appearance- poured into a wine glass a light amber red with golden honey highlights and a small layer of white head that quickly dissipates and leaves a ring around the glass

Smell- leather, barnyard, slight vinegar, grape tannins, currant

Taste- barnyard funk, wood, and tartness up front with a dry currant finish. good balance and complexity of flavor. the tartness from the bacteria and funk from the brett is put in check by the sweetness from the fruit and the oak.

Mouthfeel- crisp, dry, refreshing, lively

Drinkability- alcohol is well masked, may be a bit too sour and tart for some due to the style...but well balanced with the fruit and easy to drink...but hard to find on the East Coast...and when you do it comes with a high price tag.

01-11-2011 19:54:12 | More by myatomicpolygon
tobin

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at the brew pub

Came to the table with a nice looking dark brown with a thick tan head that dissapated to about 1/4" and stayed there. Not alot of sticky lacing though.

Smells of alot of bret funk with tart cherries and some oak.

Taste is wonderful hands down best sour I have had so far. You can really taste the wine notes from the barrels and the oak and bret mixed with the malts is sublime. Wonderful

Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. Couldn't ask for more.

Drinkability is high and is a beer I wish I had more of!

01-17-2011 20:06:04 | More by tobin
LaPeste

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

750ml corked and caged bottle, $21.99 from Vendome in North Hollywood. Batch#002X1.

I have been looking for this beer for a while and it has been on the top of my list of beers wanted. I found it finally, secret stash at Vendome, not even on the shelves. Very sought after, hard to find beer.

Removing the cork comes a loud pop and the bubbles gradual pour over the bottle.

A: Poured into a tulip glass, pours a warm opaque cherry red/brown with a two finger head that rapidly dissipates. Minimal lacing.

S: Cherries, vinegar, red wine, oak

T: Oak, sour vinegar, cherries, ripe red fruit and vanilla- true to the style of the beer, but very well rounded and better than any of the oak barrel aged sours I've ever had.

M: Fills the whole tongue and the entire mouth and holds there. Pleasant sour lingers for a long, long time. What a great texture; very layered, very complex.

D: Easy to drink, slight alcohol burn (in a good way), pleasant pucker.

This is far and beyond my favorite beer to date. Too bad it's so hard to find. Would love to get my hands on a case of this and age it. This one is made to be shared. Just awesome. This is the reason I drink beer.

06-10-2009 02:11:07 | More by LaPeste
YOOJ

Louisiana

3.88/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap into a Chimay goblet at the Bier Stein in Eugene.

Beautiful dark red color, quite similar to the bottle. No head whatsoever. Very unique looking beer.

Smell is black cherry a little booze, overall surprisingly subtle, and I would have expected a little more funk.

Taste is much like the smell, black cherry with great smooth sourness up front. Hardly any funk present. Finishes with complex sourness and a subtle aftertaste.

Surprisingly fizzy, the texture that you would expect from a 10% beer. You can smell the alcohol, but it is completely masked in the flavor.

I have yet to fully enjoy a sour experience, so maybe its just not my thing.

02-15-2010 20:33:27 | More by YOOJ