Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,574
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,643 | Reviews: 1,091
4.14/5  rDev -8%

Its days like this that I wish I had a tulip glass.

Pours like a shaded version of burnt sienna. Head generated quickly resembles that of a Soda, and disappears just as fast. Zero Lacing

Smell blasts scents of pine and berries. Smells like a Spring morning.

Tastes tart, but no overpowering - with a really hard to define flavor profile (sour, bitter, hint of sweet). Aftertaste leaves something to be desired. Mouthfeel lacking.

Very good beer.

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

Batch 001x2

Cork removed with a good pop, which let some mist out of the bottle along with scents of fruits.

A: Poured into an oversized tulip wine glass. Beer is amber/brown, with reddish highlights. High clarity. Khaki head dissipates quickly, no lacing stays on glass as beer disappears.

S: Initial smell was that of cherries. More sour than sweet most of the time. Lots of oak with just a touch of funk. As the beer opens up and warms 20 minutes later, more aromas of sweetness are present. My final glass from the bottle smelled even better with cabernet scents surfacing. Bottle says currants were used in this beer. I have never had currants knowingly, but I'm guessing there like cherries. Overall, impressive.

T: Sour cherries dominate, oak is present throughout. The cherries/ currants are sour most of the time, but the sweetness is almost there, almost noticeable, but never really makes its way completely. Beer is perfectly tart and acidic, Alcohol is hidden well. Long finish for a beer. Is this beer still?, or a beer wine hybrid. Lots of complexity and layers to this beer, which got better over the course of the bottle. Amazing.

M: High carbonation which contributed to a thicker body and mouthfeel. I enjoyed the amount of carbonation in this one. Clean finish.

D: Consecration is an amazing beer. Highly drinkable. I can not wait to have another bottle of this stuff, and see how it evolves with some cellaring.

4.14/5  rDev -8%

A- Pours dark brown with a big, fizzy, tan head made up of large bubbles.

S- Delicious dark fruit, the currants are really noticeable. Tartness for sure. Grape as well, a definite wine smell.

T- Quite sour and lots of fruit at the beginning. Really delicious on the finish: the cabernet and brett meld to form a wonderful buttery tart taste.

M- Excellent soft mouthfeel with spritzy carbonation.

D- Drinkability is inhibited by the intensity of the acidity, which is really accentuated by the tartness of the currants. Of course its delicious, although not my favorite RR beer, but difficult to drink a whole bottle in one sitting.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

750mL, Batch 03X2, 2008 I believe so this ones a few years old, poured into a DFH signature glass.

Pours a very dark garnet color, almost ruby when held to the slight, lots of small champange sized bubbles that settled into a nice collar. The nose is restrained but inviting, sour dark fruits, figs and dates. Earthy, damp, musty are things that came to mind. The flavor is unquestionably more sour, very acidic, chalky, very dry. Has almost a chocolately, earthy component, not unlike characteristics I get from some belgian quads, definitely interesting. Oak from the barrel aging is also noticable. High ABV with this one compared to some other Russian River wild ales, the body is a little more full, the malt a little more perceived. After having this fresh on tap at the brewpub and after a couple years in the bottle, I prefer the older and bottled version.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

I was in San Diego for Beer Week and SD Taproom had a Russian River tasting. I was in pursuit of Pliny the Elder but got there too late. The only beer left was the Consecration. I am not generally a big fan of the sour beers but this was fantastic. The high alcohol was well-hidden under the many layers of flavor. One of the best beers I have ever had. I can't wait to get the chance to try other beers from this brewer

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

Split a bottle with my lady. Batch 1x003.

Pour gives a lovely ruddy ruby color with mild bubbles that don't stick around, I guess they were feeling shy.

Smell of a nice sour Cabernet.

The taste is wonderful, sour, funky, fruity. Currants up front then the sour acidity followed by the leathery brett.

Mouthfeel is again wonderful, good carbonation.

I could drink this again and again and again. However, this ranks behind Supplication and Beatification for me.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought at 7-11 in Highland Park, Calif. Batch 002X1.

Pop open the bottle and notice the scent of cherries. A very good smell. Poured a dark red color into a glass. Slight head on top with lots of tiny bubbles bursting on top. A very nice sour taste on the first sip. Not overwhelming with a nice sour back end.

I been hearing how good this beer is and I'm glad I tried it. Also glad the price I paid for wasn't wasted (It's a wee bit up there). Overall, this is a very good beer with a nice sour taste. The carbonation is caused by the refermenting in the bottle and it definitely shows in the glass and the way it pops in your mouth. I could drink another one easily but I'm gonna have to break my piggy bank for that. Wow, look at the fizz of that second pour and the smell. This is good!

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

From 750 mL, enjoyed with da wife.

A: Dark caramel amber color, piling up a decent lace of foam that fizzes down to just a thin film.

S: Sour funkiness, a bit of dark fruit, slight malt. Inviting.

T: Delicious and comforting. Rich but not heavy with tart fruit, malt, and a small touch of caramel. Lovely.

M: Cuts nicely on the palate and has cleansing acidity. Easy to drink.

D: Though 10%, it goes down nicely.

One of my favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +1.1%

Had this several times before, this time was on tap at Pizzeria Basta, Boulder CO.

The head on this beer dissappates quickly, and leaves a few bubbles hanging desperately around the rim and in a Rorschacht pattern in the center that looks like a monkey-cow kind of thing. THe color is like copper and the heart of a big piece of amber.

The smell is amazing, oaky, slightly winey, with some beautiful funk, kind of like if Aretha Franklin sat in with George Clinton and the P-Funk Allstars and did something slow.

The taste is sour cherries wrapped in oak magic, with a tart tang like underripe strawberries in some fantasy world where they were actually something to look forward to. The carbonation is perfect and cleanses and elevates the chorus of flavors.

This beer drinks really well, wish I hadn't finished the last of the keg. To all the Boulderites before me, I salute you, to all those who didn't partake, you missed out. Can't wait to have this again, but I did see a bottle a few days ago...

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

By far the best sour I've had. Incredible.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from Beachwood BBQs cellar. Consecration #2. Bottle 2x1.

A: Beautiful deep cabernet reddish brown with a nice one finger head upon pouring that diminishes almost immediately. Leaves little to no lacing as you drink it down.

S: Unbelievable nose of oak, currants, leather, dark fruits, slight brett funk, and vinegar.

T: Exactly what I was hoping for! It follows in the footsteps of the nose but is so much more complex. It starts off with a nice tart and vinegar sourness with a hint of leather that mellows into plum, currant, chocolate, truffle earthiness, cherries, and cranberry. It finishes with a little tinge of oak and red wine. There is a nice warming effect mid taste from the alcohol that does not burn or linger. Just enough to let you know its 10% abv.

M: Medium-full body with the perfect amount of carbonation. Coats your tongue and pallet perfectly so you can pick up on all of the nuances.

O: Such a fantastic beer. I'm glad I had one of the older batches that has had time to develop. I could see this beer having a more upfront sourness and vinegar taste. Since it had time to mellow out a bit the sourness is quite faint and upfront. It allows the flavors of the dark fruits, chocolate, and oak to really shine in the finish!

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Small corked & caged bottle, poured into a glass. Pours a deep, dark reddish amber with off-white head that subsides almost immediately. Vinegar, booze, and fruit are evident in aroma. Vinegary flavor combines with a sharp lemony acidity. Dry fruity finish. Light on the palate and has an almost champagne-like carbonation. Very tart, sour, complex. Drinkable for an ale of this strength. VERY enjoyable!!!

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Beer was shared three ways (hobojon and DaveJanssen) poured meticulously and artistically into a tulip La Chouffe glass. Batch - 002X1

Appearance - The color was a deep dark amber, surprisingly clear. Lighter head with a lack of lacing.

Smell - Complex with initial sweetness slowly enveloped by a fruity (raisin), and bready smell with a strong funk ensuing. The sour funk (which I described as barnyard) was not too overwhelming, but quite pleasant)

Taste - The first sip knocked me off my feet. Many layers of flavors - Amazing layers of sweetness/funkiness/mild malt. Tart/sour funk very apparent after first sip - wonderfully balanced - the sweetness was very strong, more so than expected but well balanced with the sour funk and malt and countless other tastes words cannot portray. Wine character and oak evident from aging.

Mouthfeel - Generally high carbonation but not unpleasant. Sweet and full considering.

Drinkability - Lovely beer - one of the most drinkable soured beers I have ever tried. Will gladly recommend to experienced beer lovers and inquiring minds concerning innovative soured beers. Go Russian River go!

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a dark ruby with a foamy head that doesn't linger long and settles to a ring for the rest of the drink. Smell is of light sour note of currant. Taste is clean, sour, currant again with nice full oak flavor that balances well to the finish leaving a great aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good as well with pleasant carbonation, a great sour. Drinkablility is lower simply because of the 10% ABV but could easily have a couple of snifters of this.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Had a sample of this at Hops & Pie, in a Great Divide tulip. Thanks Leah!

A: reddish brown, with a light sheet of head.
S: a little barnyard, along with currants, and oak.
T: currants, integrated oak, and again a bit of barnyard.
M: nice and sour, with good acidity. An excellent food beer.
O: Reminds me of wine, and that's a good thing. Very food-friendly, and nuanced similarly to a Cabernet with a bit of age on it.

I have only tried a few of the Russian River offerings, to-date, but would definitely seek this out again. Fantastic stuff!

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a bottle, Batch 006.

A: Absolutely no head when poured from the bottle. You can see a very small amount of bubbles collected at the bottom of the glass, but other then that, no carbonation really looking at it. The color is a deep mahogany red.

S: I don't get as much of the currants as some have described. I'm getting more of a balsamic sour funk with deep fruit notes. As it warms you also definitely get the wine barrels it was aged in. Very dry funk to the nose.

T: For 10% this beer is definitely very drinkable. However the taste doesn't quite wow me. I had a Supplication earlier in the year and despite this beer's amazing description, I found Supplication to be more complex in the flavor. But that's just me. The taste is a really nice tart sour up front, but it finishes with a fruity sweet character. Figs, cherries, and some musty wine notes are all present.

M: Very lightly carbonated and tart on the back of the palate.

O: Overall I enjoyed this beer, but it didn't wow me the way I thought it would. Still, for an American Wild Red Sour Ale I found it to be quite pleasant. I will have to branch out and try the other wild ales Russian River makes because both Supplication and Consecration were very unique and interesting beers.

4.56/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: A very clear yet dark ruby to tawny depending on angle and light. Very interesting. What little head fizzled off immediately much like a cool soda pop.

Smell: Roasty Currant up front. Little yeast funk. Little oakyness.

Taste: Tart. Dark Fruits. Hard caramel. Little bit of leather. Musty. There is so much going on in this beer. Wow. The alcohol is a little hot on the finish but overall a great job of masking/incorporating it into the flavor profile.

Feel: Finish is medium-dry to Dry. Pretty silky soft Cab tannin. Lovely.

Overall: Delightful, delicious, adventurous and unique. A special brew that will often occupy my beer fridge.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Batch 005x2F brewed 12/1/2009 bottled 10/17/2010

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a chalice. The corked came out easily with a nice 'pop.' Fizzy rusty head of about an inch quickly dissipated. Reddish, brown color with a slight cloudiness.

Aroma of red wine, musty wet wood and leather. Mouthwatering. Lively carbonation that leads into a fruity, tartness followed by leather and earth. Dark fruits. Finish is long and smooth, yet acidic at the same time. Perfectly balanced sourness. In a blind taste taste, I could not tell if this was 4% or 10% abv. Amazing.

A very complex beer.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

#20, something special from the fridge for the World Cup final.

Big thanks to Stevefinny for this. 750ml Batch 002x01. Poured into a tulip.

A: Brownish maroon with a head that disappears like a scared turtle's. Nothing great, but the resurgence of effervescent bubbles is pretty cool. 4.0

S: Brett nosebomb with tart cherry and oak. Again, not overwhelming but still pleasant. 4.0

T: Tart fruitiness with a dry, oaky finish. Initial taste has a domineering sweet funk, but the oak comes on strong and dry at the end. Great balance between two opposing tastes. 4.5

M/D: Big carbonation and effervescence keep such a great clean taste. I love the thickness of a stout, but this is the complete opposite and so well done that I really appreciate it just as much. The 10% is essentially nonexistent. I couldn't drink this every day, but the complexity and style is something I would enjoy on a semi regular basis. 4.5/4.5

Wow! What a beer.. Had on draft at BLAH, can't wait to do that again, best sour drink I ever had.. Well it's the only one but I am going to hold all sours to this standard.

4.17/5  rDev -7.3%

Drank on 04/29/10
Poured from 750ml bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - The beer pour a dark red. Looks similar to a red wine. Has very minimal white head that faded away rather quickly. Virtually no lacing while drinking.

S - The smell is very interesting with lots of unique flavor profiles. I can smell the wine barrels that it was aged in. It has hints of oak and a stronger alcohol as well such and bourbon maybe. It has a very tart smell to it as well with dark sweet fruits in the mix.

T - I had one half glass with dinner and enjoyed it but it didn't seem that sour/tart to me from what I had read about this beer, but when I poured myself a full glass later in the evening the second glass seemed much more tart/sour. I can definitely taste the red wine from the barrel aging along with some oak. Has sweet fruit tastes to it as well. I can't distinguish the individual fruits though. I can also taste the current in the beer. The beer is very tart and dry on the back half. It is quite tasty but is definitely a sipping beer.

M - Mouthfeel is medium to high amounts of carbonation with a lighter body to the beer. Good for the style but you can't take very large sips of it.

D - This beer hides its ABV well, but is not something that I can drink a lot of in a sitting. Because it is so tart it much be sipped and savored so I don't think I would have more than a glass or two at a time. Its refreshing for the first glass but after that the ABV starts to hit you. Good beer overall and for the style.

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

hand bottle from Joey, thanks a lot! High light of the night for me at our tasting. Amber pour with a nice little head coming off of it. Flavor was up front cranberry, plums, an plenty of tannic wine notes. Very tart, mildly refreshing.

update on the batch 1/04

Starting to overcarbonate, champagne style large bubbles muddle up the complexity of this one. Touches of unwanted acidity are also coming forward, and the fruit has definitely died off a bit as well as the sharp tannic bite from the wine barrels.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Batch 004x5

A: Poured into my La Fin Du Monde tulip. The color is a deep brown with mahogany hues when held up to the light. The half inch of white head I got faded just as quickly as it built.

S: Wow, it packs a tart punch. I can pick up tart cherries and grapes paired with some funk and a definite oak backbone. Really intriguing.

T: Follows the nose almost exactly. Immediate sour and tart cherry notes. Funky Brett and oak follow, but don't completely take over. It all blends together pretty well. A definite bite from the alcohol is present in the finish, which is still just as tart as the start.

M: Loads of carbonation and a light body. Finishes like a dry wine.

D: Fairly drinkable. Still a lot to handle alone. I am new to the sour dept, but this one still leaves me wanting to try more, so that's good. I was a bit worried.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Batch 004X2

Poured into a New Belgium Tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear Mahogany with a very small off white head that vanishes into a fine ring that follows the glass down.

S - I am getting some Brett funk, leather, barnyard, some dark fruit, figs, plum, and a touch of oak.

T - Sour, Tart, Puckering Tart, oakey, and fruity in that order. Sourness starts off on first sip, followed by a nice tartness that increases until it puckers you. Then some of the oak is shining through followed by the dark fruit. Simply amazing. An incredible showcase of flavors.

M - On firt glance your thinking full bodied, but this is really light on the tounge. Very deceiving on carbonation. The sourness makes you feel like it has alot of carbonic bite, when in reality it is very lightly carbed.

O - This is the best sour I have ever had. The complexity is overwhelming. This is so masterfully crafted that it rivals the finest Bordeaux blends. This should be on every beer lovers bucket list.

4.32/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange-amber with thin white head.

Aroma is sharply and brightly funky, not barnyard, but more tart.

Flavor is nicely tart. Sourness is full but not overwhelming. Currant flavor is mild, just the right level of sweetness to add some balance to the tartness. The flavor is simple, straightforward, but right on.

Mouthfeel is dry, with low-medium carbonation.

Overall, an excellent beer. Uncomplicated, enjoyable flavor, with just the right number and combination of notes to hold your interest, without being pretentious or muddled.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company