Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,080 | Hads: 4,742
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%

Batch # 004X2

A: Golden-amber, with mahagony tones. Clear though bottom of bottle has a slight haze. Little to no foam.

S: The first whiff gives one the indication of a very special brew. Oak barrel influenced, soured, semi-dark fruits. It's inviting and mysterious.

T: First impression is refreshingly tart and dry. The after taste is unbelieveably enticing but I can't separate the various flavor notes. It's a complex blend of taste sensations, and all morphing together then separting, but in the end very inviting. Never would guess the high abv in tastings.

D: RR has taken beers to a different level, which I mean in the most respectfull way. The aroma is as almost as attractive as the taste. As a fan of Imperial Stouts and big IPAs, at times I don't think I have the sosphistication for sours and wild ales, but this brew is easy to understand. The subelty of the complexity of this brew is the amazing skill of the brewer. So, the downside of loving RR is the difficulty in obtaining. Joy of the hunt. (1,017 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The Sept 2012 bottle pours with little head but a decent ring of lace atop a body the colour of American Mahogany. The nose leads with lactic acid, wine, and funk and is balanced by the smell of currants. When you take a sip the beer explodes with a lactic sourness rounded by the oak and a slight astringency from the tannins. Currants and acrid vinous notes hold the middle leading to a slightly sweet finish. With lively and sparkling carbonation, this is a great sour. (472 characters)

Like Supplication on steroids, you get flavors of cherries, oak, chocolate, cognac and sour citrus with a deep, caramelly malt backdrop. Appearance is a deep, dark amber with almost no light penetration or head. Thick, chewy mouthfeel and a deep, vinous smell. Worth over penny. A perfect beer. (294 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle 002X1 picked up at RRBC tasted with davejanssen and zaplt. poured in tulip glass.

Aroma- oak (cinnamon, woody), dark fruit, sour, dark crystal malt, sweet, alcohol (subtle). great aroma.

App- clear, fine tan head. dark brown/red color.

Taste- sweet fruity malt to sour dry finish. oak is present. lots of complex sourness and currants come through. better than on tap.

Mouthfeel- dry enough but sweet and some alcohol is present. fine med/high carb.

Overall- very good, more oak and less sour than on tap at RRBC and Toronado. one of my favorites RR beers. (569 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.6%

poured in to a snifter bottle from batch 2

A- dark crimson darkest sour i have yet to see an i love it of white head yet does not stick around

S- sour grapes, currants, cranberries the brett starts seeping though super funky (barnyard wet hey) and a little oak

T- freaking amazing just like the smell sour grapes, currants, ect funk and oak one of the most complex sours i have had and very balanced

M- carbonation great and really dry

D- perfect i would not know this had a 10% ABV

overall one of the best beers i have ever had russian river really knows what they are doing when it comes to sours i cant wait to try the rest of them (645 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brown with a slight ruby tint. No head to speak of.

Smells tart, followed by fruit; cherries and currants, with strong vinegar.

Taste definitely follows the nose, with strong fruitiness and vinegar tartness. Too much brett... Hints of cherries and currants, but mostly vinegar. Alcohol noticeable, but not strong at all.

Highly acidic feel, with some carbonation. Not too smooth, but that's a sour for you.

After all the hype, including the price, I was unimpressed. I was expecting an eye-opening sour experience, and I got what I consider an average experience. Maybe some more aging would have improved it; I don't know. Just underwhelming all around. (673 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

I've had a fair amount of this stuff by this point, so I think it's time to buck up and write a review!

I think the weakest part of this brew is it's appearance. It pours an almost root beer brown and it's head leaves a bit to be desired. while it's plenty carbonated, the bubbles are a bit large, almost soapy in nature. as this one goes down, the lace left is a bit runny. It's still an attractive beer though, so the fact that this is it's weakest point really speaks to it's strength overall.

The nose is sweet and tart together. sour cherries poke their head out first and give way to a sweet and mild bubblegum.

This is a complex beer to say the least... flavors of those sour cherries come out right at the front, giving way to red grape tannins and then grapefruit. There's a real bite to it, both of the grapefruit and warhead variety... it really is wonderful and ends up sweetening substantially as it warms and the cabernet shines through.

overall, I'd say this is an extremely light, very drinkable beer... almost indescribably so considering it's heavy hitting ABV... you wouldn't know it was 10%. (1,115 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Sampled this as part of my own personal taste test. I had both Consecration and Supplication at the same time. This poured a dark brown with a white head, it was sampled out of a tulip glass. The aroma was intensely sour with a lot of dark fruits mixed in. The taste was just an outright assault of sourness which I enjoyed very much. It was very aggressive while still having a nice balance between the sourness and the acidity. The body was very light, this didn't taste like a 10%abv beer. However, I don't see myself being able to have more than 2 of these since sour beers can tear apart the stomach after having too many. I could see this being too aggressive for some, those people would probably enjoy Supplication more since that was the more mellow of the two. (770 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got to try this thanks to rencelas. Poured into Schlafly large tasting glass. Pours dark brown with a reddish tint. Smell like plum and cherries. Taste is very sour but very enjoyable. I could share a 750ml of this but not drink one by myself. Overall a great first sour for me from RR. (286 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap today at Saraveza in Portland.

While I will state up front that I prefer Supplication, having this on tap was a real treat. It is my #2 Russian River sour.

On the initial whiff, you get light sour cherry / , currant-sweetness . It is surprising how sweet it smells compared to the taste. You can detect hints of the funk and sour to come, but it takes a moment to develop. Nice and musty, complex, and very pleasant aroma.

My only complaint is that it is a bit effervescent, at least straight from the tap, which affects the mouth feel and taste just a bit. I found that by holding it in my mouth and swirling a bit, it really reduces tha carbonation and brings out the flavor.

It is impossible to tell this is 10% just by drinking it. No alcohol hits the palate whatsover. Amazing drinkability on this one.

Love this and all of the RR sours. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up... (917 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

375 ml bottle.

A: Brown pour, ruby highlights, thin, off-white to tan head faded pretty quick but left decent lace.

S: Funky, sour, lactic tang, dark fruit, black currant, cask wood. A huge nose with the promise of great things to taste.

T: Incredibly sour, tangy, oaky. Black currant, dark, bready malt, barnyard, brett bitterness, lacto tanginess, vinous, tobacco leaves.

M: Highly carbonated, satisfying. The carbonation balances the intense sourness well.

D: Incredible. Amazing. Easily rivals anything brewed in Belgium. Brewing brilliance at its finest. I wish it were more widely available. (602 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Corked and Caged 750ml bottle. Batch 001x2. Very loud noise upon pulling the cork, look out!! Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Had a reddish brown color to it with a thin head that reseeded quickly. No lacing.

S. Sour smell with red wine hints and currants

T. This was my first ever sour and its quite amazing, I must say. This definitely got better as it warmed. Just an explosion of red grapes, sour notes and wood notes. Very complex.

MF. Champagne like carbonation to it.

D. This is a highly drinkable beer, can hardly even taste the alcohol. This was an amazing beer for me, definitely gonna be looking for many more sours now. Well worth the 23 dollar price tag. (683 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Reviewing from Notes. This whale , for me at least, was shared with me by a generous friend and new to trading techster82. It was his first sour and first beer trade.

A nice introduction to both Id say..

Batch001X4 - 750ml Caged and Corked.

A -Dark and Deep Red, Almost brown and fairly opaque. Very little head if any.

S - Lots of sourness, dark and sweet candy. I pick up some new fruit and slight oak as well.

T - Just amazing. I not completely versed in how these tend to age but I find the sourness fades a bit and the fruit becomes more evident. The currants, fig, and candy notes were outstanding and really stood up the brett/lacto nicely. The oak tends to develop nicely and become more prevalent with aging. It was only a bit but I felt like the oak was there on the finish. I was surprised it had any left but the carbonation was perfect.

M - Perfect. The carbonation wasn't low but just the way I prefer for this style.

What a great vintage and an even better way to share with friends. Thanks techster82 (1,024 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Vissai for this new beer!

Poured from a bottle into my tulip

A: Great ruby red color with little head that fades quickly.

S: I love the sour aroma with this one. I do get traces of the Cab coming through.

T: Ok the sickly sweet sour notes are fantastic here. This is a great taste for sure with the wine coming in strong on the background.

M: Slight carbonation but this beer masks the high alcohol level for sure.

O: I seriously enjoyed this beer more than I thought it would. After sharing this one with some family, I think I'll come back to this one again soon. (581 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +13.9%

Serving Type- Poured on tap at Russian River Brewery

Appearance- Dark ruby red color, two finger white head the goes away very quickly

Smell- Dark cherries, funk, sour, neutral oak, just an amazing sour smell

Taste- WOW, Dark cherries, funk, sour, neutral oak tannin in the back of the palate, the BEST sour I have ever had and using Cab Barrels for aging is genius and comes through in a vinnus character

Mouthfeel- Tart, sweet, dry

Overall- The BEST Sour I have ever had and one of the top 5 beers I have ever had (522 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle from Batch 3 poured into a tulip glass.

A - Translucent chestnut, fizzy head, no retention or lacing.

S - Small amount of brown sugar, dry vinous, small notes of dark fruit, sour funk.

T - First glass full was overpowered by brett funk and tart. Not the expected lemon zest tart like a gueze, dry vinous tart from the carbarnet grapes. Taste failed to capture the complexity of the nose... until the second pour. Each sip brought different complexities, brown sugar and dark sweet fruits (date, fig). Palate ends with strong dose of oak.

M - Fizzy carbonation, good for this style, light bodied.

D - Delicious, complex wild ale, far exceeded my expectations. Yet, between the ABV and dry finish, finishing this big bottle was a bit laborious. (754 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. Very nice looking beer. Labeled a wild ale and its def a solid sour beer. Not a huge fan of sour beer at this point but i can handle them. This beer is awesome. 10% stands out but the taste is so good. The smell is outstanding.

I believe its worth the hype. His beer would just get better with age. Rating may be higher if i had my wild ale/sours under my belt. Comparing this with Brux, another wild ale. Brux is avg at best, brrr is $$$.

A- (472 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

By the time it was served to me there was no head. Left no lacing. Dark cherry red. Really a beautiful looking brew.

Berry juices and lemonade to the nose.

Definitely get berry and fruit juices up front, later some wine characteristics. Then a bitter taste, like lemon juice. I was in awe after my first sip. Alcohol is hidden well, especially at 10%. Awesome.

Very carbonated, but man this beer is smooth. Could definitely slam the whole bottle. But might be in a little trouble. Will buy this again whenever I see it. Absolutely worth the money. Worth searching for. Very new to the style of wild ales but this was one hell of a start. (686 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

To be quite honest, I had mixed feelings about plunking down $22 for a 750ml bottle, but I wisely listened to a friend who said it was more than worth it. Batch #002x1.

A - Initial carbonation was high with a 2-3 finger head that dissapated quickly. Nice and dark like a fine brandy.

S - Funky and sour! Hard to believe there aren't any cherries in this one. I get a red wine vinegar, green apple, oak and sour grapes. This is gonna be good!!

T - Wow! Just like it smells, sour green apples, a hint of red wine vinegar and dark bitter cherries. I tried like hell but could not pick up the vanilla mentioned by other reviewers. Un-Godly well balanced!

M - Carbonation seemed high when I popped the cork, but was perfect on my palate. Dry and oh so tart with just the perfect acidity.

D - This is actually very scary. I did not even get a hint of alcohol here. 10%? It could be 2% and I would not have noticed. Yet even with alcohol taking a backseat, it was so satisfying that I wanted to prolong drinking this like no other.

Overall, I don't see many sours coming close to this. Vinnie hits it on the head once again. May be arguably the best to come out of Santa Rosa ever. (1,181 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

Had at Monk's Cafe in Philly

A: Vinous purple with a head that quickly dissipates.

N: Dark fruit, and quite vinous. I'm starting to see a trend here. The oak aging, currants, and cabernet are all showing themselves.

T: Deep fruit flavors, with a nice sour undercurrent running through it. Lot's of wine characteristics here. Dark red wine and tannins being tasted upon exhale. After swallowing, pleasant ripe fruit odors fill the mouth.

Overall, a very nice beer - one of the most compley I've tasted. Very full bodied, with sour flavors playing 2nd fiddle to the fruit and oak. I'd love to see some age on this beer, where hopefully some of the fruit will calm down a hair, allowing the brett/sour to show through. (720 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Big thanks to jyoungsbcp for hooking me up with this trade, I have been looking forward to this beer for a while, and warming myself up to sours (falling in love with them). Poured into my trusty DFH signature glass.

A: A reddish brown that is dark but surprisingly clear. A quarter inch or less of an off white head

S: Smells kind of like someones apple cider went bad. Sour apples with a bunch of funk.

T: Tastes like sour apples with a bunch of sour, funk and sour funk. A sharp sour finish to it.

M: Smooth, but well carbonated. Acidic.

D: I am in love with sours. At 10% this is way up there when it comes to sours, goes down incredibly easy. (655 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Amazing beer. Russian River proves to be the best American sour producer there is with ever sour they make. Consecration is an amazingly well crafted beer and Vinnie has one of the greatest palates ever to be able to taste this beer out of the barrel and know whether it is time to bottle it yet. Consecration blows my mind every time I drink a bottle. (352 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: No head at all glowing amber mahogany in color
S: Fresh and a bit funky (funky fresh) cherry
T: Fantastic Cab, Cherry taste... 7/10 sourness
M: Nice and grippy but also refreshing
O: really liked it, very unique but to the point, very good bench mark for sours from russian river

Tried one after a little bit of age, much more of the current taste cherry falls in the background, as it warms you taste that base beer more, most definitely a good ager (455 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Barrel aged 6 months in oak with currants. Brett, sacc, pedio, and lacto cultures. Batch 002x2. Maroon label with a black and white line drawing of a spear, I assume the lance of Longinus. My fiance carried this back from Cali for me. Poured at 49° into a snifter. 1/8th inch head settles out instantly to a bubbly ring. The body of the beer is sorta a tawny port color, a reddish-orange in the deepest spots. Sweet oaky nose, some fruit, smells like a fruit forward red wine, not a lot of sour in the nose, maybe just a hint. The body is good, spritzy carbonation, lightly coating, lightly puckering. Flavor comes on strong with cherries, currants, very tart, a nice long rolling tartness, just a faint bit acetic, which I like in small quantities. Lots of oak, woody and dry, not vanilla, perhaps they used non-American barrels. As it's warmed slightly I'm picking up the brett in the nose, a kinda spicy chemical-leather. It's coming forward in the taste too, again, leathery and earthy melding into the sour fruits. The alcohol is really well hidden on this beast. It's an intense beverage to be sure, but well balanced, the tartness is just right, no real sign of the booze, goes down easily all things considered. I wish I had more of this stuff... (1,255 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Was lucky enough to score a bottle

The cork was the loudest cork ive ever heard and damn near flew out of my hand when i opened it. The instant sour fruit smell was heavenley, It pours a dark amber color, The taste is absurdly complex so much so im sure you could find almost any flavor you looked for. This and the brabant have mad me officaly change my favorite style from ris to american wild, an absolute must have for an ba (429 characters)

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company