Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,501
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,462 | Reviews: 1,071
4.26/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle popped at Yazoo's Embrace the Funk Fest

Great Tawny Port color and nice lacing from a thin cap of head

The aroma of this sour is out of control: tobacco, catty, ashy, faint vanilla, dark fruit, red grape, apple skin, slightly buttery - every bacteria listed on the bottle is represented here.

The flavor is great and balanced with a surprisingly mild tang. I was expecting a wallop, but it is mild and restrained...even a little subtle. Cookie spiciness, leather, acetobacter?? Very dry finish with no residual sugar to fuck everything up

The mouthfeel is vibrant and lively carbonated. Feels great on the tongue.

Thanks to ETF Fest for this sample!

4.45/5  rDev -1.1%

375cc cork and caged bottle, batch 004x1, poured into a Russian River snifter at cellar temperature and quaffed today, 5/4/2013

Aroma: Punched in the face with sourness. Tart cherries, raspberry and blackberry all jammed together. A lot of it reminds me of a good red wine (I assume Cabernet) that's gone sour. And definitely sour grapes, vinegar with a touch of earthiness. That part is like being in a barn, but subdued. I'm thinking that's the Brett funk. Full bodied nose for sure. (4)

Colour: Pours a very dark, opaque reddish brown body with minimal head, though one gets mesermized looking at the film on the surface that's got tons of tiny bubbling and bubbling in spots. It's really cool. The collar is actually quite thick, dense and white. The lacing is superbly thick like the collar, but quickly falls back into the collar. Otherwise, a tasty appearing dark ale. (4)

Flavour: Damn! This is why I love wild ales. Refreshing quantities of tart dark fruits- cherry, raspberry, blackberry, plus some honey and a good bit of the underlying brown ale malts. A good bit of vinegar hits in the middle of the experience, which rather accentuates the sweet and sour clash here. There's even a little bit of oakiness and smokiness in the finish. Overall a very complex, tasty blend of sweet fruits and malt, sourness and even more sour funkiness accentuated by some earthy oak. Truly a pleasure to quaff. (4.75)

Mouthfeel: Thinner medium bodied brew with excellent, and I truly mean excellent carbonation. It fizzes all over my mouth, coating my palate with pure sourness and earthy funk. It truly feels like a thicker, sour wine yet it brings more to the table than a merlot that's been sitting out for too long. The carbonation is fantastic and the finish is stunningly fizzly and clean yet it leaves my palate with a nice oaky, earthy aftertaste that I savor. There is absolutely no indication that this beer is a 10%. None. It's almost perfect. (4.5)

Overall: Another awesome AWA by Russian River. It's definitely a beer that any wine lover would enjoy, and absolutely a beer that any sour lover will love. It borrows a lot of characteristics of the used Cabernet barrels, but the base malt really makes itself known amidst all the sour, dark-fruity and earthy funkiness. There's a lot going on here that comes together very well, and it's truly an excellent bottle of beer to drink. (4.5)

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

4.51/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Yet another Russian River beer using Brett. Ugh. I HATE Brett. Of course, the last Russian River beer we drank, also a sour beer, that used Brett was amazing. I hope this one is, too. Sheryl asked me what Brett was. For those of you that don't know, Brettanomyces is a wild yeast strain that is known for having earthy flavors. Think about a barnyard… now lick the ground. That is what that yeast strain is famous for. Some like it… I don't.

Today's beer is aged in red wine barrels, specifically cabernet sauvignon barrels. Not a big wine guy, but know enough about the stuff to recall the flavor of the stuff. Hopefully some of those notes carry over here, too. I like sour beers, and I hope this one delivers. After this bottle, only one more Russian River beer on the list!

In the Glass: It almost looks like Diet Coke in the glass. It is thin, near black, and leaves a very thin white head. No lace to speak of, and the bubbles are so tight that you would think this is soda. I like Diet Coke, so maybe I will like this beer. I actually hope I like this beer, as the typical breadwinners for them aren't that impressive.

Nose: I could smell this as I was pouring it, and all I could smell was sour notes. When smelling the beer itself, it has some dirty/earthy flavors, but I guarantee that is from the yeast. The sour is obvious, but not overwhelming. It smells good. Speaking of smelling good, I REALLY want to start a company making scented candles. They would all smell like beer! Imagine coming home to a house smelling like your favorite IPA! That, or I could just sprinkle hope around the house. Either way!

Flavor: Based on what I was smelling, I didn't expect it to be this sour. But the sourness keeps coming until you swallow. It's a bit too cold, but the sourness is pretty intense. If you don't like sour beers, BEWARE! This is candy tart and leaves a lingering finish that is, with each swallow, just as tart. I like it!!!

I am getting some of those wine barrel notes toward the end. I am sure that some of that are the currants used in the brewing process, but some of those full-bodied characteristics that I expect when drinking a glass of red wine are shining through. It says on the bottle, "4 to 8 months" in regards to the time spent in the barrels. I wonder how the brewmaster decides just how long to age each batch.

Mouthfeel: The first half of the palate is bored, but when the sour flavors start to kick in toward the back of the palate, things begin to get interesting. As this beer is heating up, the sour is starting to become lip sucking sour; almost too much to bear. This is NOT a beer that you will drink more than 1 or 2 of in one sitting. The ABV, coming in at 10.5%, is hidden, so even if you could drink a lot of this, you wouldn't be able to!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste hangs around for a few minutes, and for the first handful of sips, remains quite sour. I would love to give a sip of this to someone that never drinks craft beer just to see his or her reaction. Tom, a buddy from Old Town, is starting to get into craft beer. I bet he would like this offering.

That is two Brett beers in a row that I have enjoyed. Maybe my palate is coming along. Speaking of Brett, I am texting Jazz, a beer nut from Total Wine, and he is sitting at World Of Beer. He goes to ASU and it's close… forgive him. He said someone just turned in an appellation and said her favorite beer was Blue Moon. Ha! I laughed.

Anyway, well done Russian River. You have outdone yourself yet again. We need to plan a trip to California so we can start visiting some of these brewing companies. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company