Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,425
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 006.

Appearance - Pours with a hint of a brown head that's gone in a flash. Nothing after that. Looks flat as hell. The body is a dark ruby red. Looks like a glass of cabernet.

Smell - Acidic and lactic sour aromas. Oak. Strong red wine presence. Distinctly cabernet, too. I'm amazed how well the wine comes through. Sour fruits round out the flavor. Cherries and I suppose currants, but hell if I've ever actually smelled currants.

Taste - Like the flavor, but with a more pronounced acidity. Sour at first. Not puckering, but it's sustained throughout the drink. Lots of sour fruits followed by a ton of cabernet. The finish of the beer is dry, but the wine character overwhelms the dryness leaving it with a vinous character in the end.

Mouthfeel - It's not a light sour by any means. In fact it gets kinda tough to drink after a while. Medium-low carbonation doesn't help. It feels like I'm drinking a sour glass of wine more than a beer.

Overall - Interesting flavors, but a huge sour ale that gets sluggish and repetitive as I drink it. Tasty, but not something I could drink all the time.

4.28/5  rDev -4.7%

I give reluctant props to the local sports team which purchased this brew for me.

The beer, poured into a tulip glass, gave a reddish brown hue with a modest head. The head rapidly disappears, giving a better look at the beer. The initial taste immediately caused me to think of a tart lemon candy. Though as the flavor develops, one can sense sour red fruit flavors that are rounded by oak chips. There are a certain vinegar notes, typical of a sour present. The spiciness leads well into the aftertaste which ends the experience on a dry note. The modest level of carbonation allows the flavors to linger and develop. Of course, this is improtant because Consecration is a complex beer.

4.63/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a deep brownish red color with a tiny tiny head that disappears immediately. Huge alcohol legs too. I know it's 10% but it looks much higher

S: Divine. Really get sour oak upfront and a bit of dark fruitiness. Lots of earthy funkiness to it. Also get the smell of rotten cherries sort of at the end, sounds weird, but it's actually quite pleasant

T: Think of every red fruit you've ever had( cranberries, cherries, etc) now add vinegar and dip it in oak chips. That's pretty much how this tastes. Possibly the most balanced flavor from any RR sour ale. I really picked up the funk in the taste more than the smell also.

M: For a beer that looks nearly flat it has quite a carbonation bite and that couples really well with the tartness. Very dry finish

Overall this is a splendid ale from RR. It's probably my favorite wild ale that I've had from them (this or Beatification, totally different though) I usually try to keep these in stock because of how available they are, just finally got around to reviewing it. Great fresh or aged too, the bottle I had was one of the newer batches though, 007

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

3.53/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours an opaque caramel color with no head. Tart apple and Belgian yeast aromas. Ok, so I'm not a wild fan at all. I mean, as much as I want to get it, I just don't. Have you ever picked up a sack of apples that have fallen off the tree? The sack was left outside all night. You went out the next late afternoon and picked them up. The movement stirred the honey bees inside. You stuck your head in the sack. This beer tastes like that apple sack smells. I do enjoy how after the beer disappears from the palate and I lick my lips, there's a sweet taste that, subsequently, appears on the tongue. I'm still developing my palate for the wilds. Bear with me.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company