Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,339
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
bbeane

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Batch 003X1

A- Poured into PALM snifter... Starts with a weak fizzy head that is gone almost as quickly as it appears. Beer is a dark crimson color, almost as red as a wine

S- Smells great... first wiff is sweet, sour, and funky. After some swirls of the snifter, a bit more booze is present

T- Tastes amazing. Sweet and sour at the same time, and extra funky tasting. Has a very subtle woody taste that lingers throughout and an ever so little amount of booziness coming through in the finish

M- Medium body with medium carbonation... leaves that great sour funky taste clinging in your mouth

D- If I could afford to drink this all the time I would, as it is an amazing beer. That being said, don't be afraid of the price tag... it's worth every $$$ IMO

CHEERS!!

12-09-2010 01:48:38 | More by bbeane
unclejimbay

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Consecration is a dark Belgian style ale aged in American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Not only do we use Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, & Pediococcus, we also add currants to beer while it is aging in the barrels.

Thanks to troywhittaker for gifting this bottle during Rare Beer Night 9/2010.

Appearance is tawny amber in color with off white head that slowly fades to thin lace.
Smells of aging fruit, red wine, dash of vinegar.
Taste as it smells with solid caramel and dark fruit malt support. Less sour quality that expected, perhaps this is more vident with age. Alcohol is well hidden and light tart sourness works as a respectable distraction.
Medium body, medium+ lively carbonation.
Very drinkable as a mellow and malt balanced sour. This may chnage over time, but much more enjoyable and approachable than I expected.

12-08-2010 18:06:09 | More by unclejimbay
Estocker

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a deep, dark scarlet. Not much head but a thin lace shows up later.

Smells like a sour wine but made with currants. There is a bit of a grape aroma that I'm detecting as well, but it's mostly sour currants and I'm okay with that.

Tastes like a sour-lovers dream. One of the sourest beers I've ever had, tart currants and grape-skins invade the pallet and the wine barrels come through in the taste as well.

For 10%, this is one of the most drinkable beers I have come across, and I will continue to do whatever I can to get my hands on this even if I have to drive 300+ miles every month.

12-08-2010 06:21:51 | More by Estocker
Slatetank

Served on-tap in a tulip at TJ's Restaurant and Drinkery's 7th Anniversary.

A deep crimson color with blood red/copper hues and light orange accent with good clarity for the style. The cap of beige appears when swirled in the tulip, the bead is ultrafine-pin sized bubbles with gentle spots of lace sticking.
The smell of currant and dark wine grapes is immediate when the glass nears my nostrils, there is a sublte sour scent which combines with spice and mild oak aspects but there is mild sweet odors adding to the complex sour aroma w/ mild currant/berry and grape aroms.

The feel is so highly acidic it seems astringent and sharp up front. The sour lingers and makes me pucker and then the acidity and slight alcohol move forward only after a spice tinge do you get any type of sweetness, the effervescence is moderately high. The flavor mirrors the nose and mouthfeel with sweet tarts and bitter grape flavors with a dash of currant sweetness and slight tannic fruit skin elements. The light sour apple flavor adds dimension to the depth of sour and acidic tastes going on here.

This is not a wild ale for the faint of heart, it is strong puckering and I consider it only above average drinkability-wise overall, just not something I could see have many back to back of, a good wild brew and I guess Vinnie has us spoiled because this is great, just not outstanding like his other American Wild ales.

12-06-2010 17:27:25 | More by Slatetank
Chincino

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer on-tap at the Russian River Brewing Company in Santa Rosa, CA in August 2010 as part of a sampler of the beers they had on-tap that day.

The beer was amber in color and smelled of berries and spice. The beer's alcohol content was well-hidden in this beer. It was tart, but no strong bitter aftertaste.

This beer is very different from its counterparts Damnation and Supplication and I would rank it second amongst the three. I would definitely recommend this beer-so good! Enjoy!

12-05-2010 17:37:21 | More by Chincino
orangesol

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

Served on-tap into a mini pint at TJ's 7th Anny. Party. Number one of three in my Russian River flight. An amazing party with amazing beers.

A - Pours deep amber with a thin film of white head that leaves minimal lacing down the glass.

S - Strong tartness up front, strongest of the three. Hints of spices, berries, and oak. Aroma's don't linger for long but they leave a lasting impression.

T - Not the first time I have had this one. Starts with a bit of spice from the currents quickly giving way to a blast of strong tartness. Finish is a lingering funk with a bright acidic note. I prefer the other two, supplication and temptation, but I still like this one a lot. Still one of my favorite wild's.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Tart finish lingers but not for too long. It wears you down after a full glass.

D - Fairly high. I really like this one but when you put all three of these together you really see how different they really are. I would rank this one last out of the three but it is still so good that you can not go wrong. Glad I have a few bottle of this in the cellar.

12-05-2010 03:14:25 | More by orangesol
jneiswender

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Had this beer on tap at Toronado's in San Fransico. Served in a wine glass cool.

A-Garnet body and a white wisp of a head.

S-Sour fruit smell, fruit stone

T-Sour, fruit stone and quite dry

M-Light

D-Good. Nice representation of the style. I would drink this again.

12-04-2010 01:23:12 | More by jneiswender
cbarrett4

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from tap at Belmont Station into snifter ~ comparison tasting with Consecration, Supplication, and Temptation.

This was my personal favorite of the trio. This is one strong mother! Absolutely amazing.

The appearance is lovely with a dark, deep hue and decent carbonation for a barrel aged sour/brett beer.

Nice aromas of currants, oak, spice, and red fruit delightfully frame the funky brettanomyces core.

The palate is lovely and takes the drinker through a magical land of red fruits, tart cherries, fig, and yeast. Lots of complexity and many layers of flavor evolve and change as the beer slightly warms towards room temperature.

The beer has a lovely medium body, with just a slight overbearing kick of alcohol (hence the 4.5 not 5.0 for mouthfeel). A little more body or slightly less alcohol perhaps? Nonetheless, near perfection here.

So delicious and packed with flavor that you can't put the glass down! And I recommend that you NOT put your glass down if you won't want to share! (as I found out)

12-02-2010 23:24:05 | More by cbarrett4
ADZA

Australia

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Another exciting brew i get to sample im stoked and it pours a light reddish/brown sherry hue which starts off with the carbonation look of a beer with a frothy two finger head but it quickly recedes to look like a fine wine with no head left or lacing whatsoever,the aroma is a combination of dried red berries,figs,oak and of course currants,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated and to be honest the mouthfeel is a cross between wine and beer and flavours of red currants,cab sav,tobacco,oak and red grape sourness all come through combined rather nicely and the dry sourness right at the finish really makes it very drinkable for me as i do like my lambics and its 10%ABV is nowhere to be found it is so well hidden its not funny and overall if this is what AWA's taste like i think i might have found a new favourite style,highly recommend cheers.

12-01-2010 05:04:25 | More by ADZA
Jemonster

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Red-brown color. Fine carbonation. Like a light root beer color and slightly opaque. No head to speak of. Attractive.

S: Sour as expected with a currant scent. For someone who hasn't has currants, it's a sweet plum/fig/raisin smell. Very pleasant. With the wood scent, it can even be compared to sweet baked beans.

T: A sour smack in the face right from the start, which is great, since I like sour beers. This beer is sour, followed by tartness, followed by more puckering sourness. The currants can be tasted right as the beer passes my lips, but that is all. The yeast/bacteria combination delivers a crazy funkiness that tastes like nothing else I've ever had. There is barely any sweetness. I can't believe this is 10% ABV because I don't detect ANY alcohol.

M: Crisp and bubbly. I was expecting it to be heavier but it is fairly clean due to the acidity as well.

D: I would like to say I could drink these all day, but the acidity would probably wear out my tongue. Since I only have the privilege to drink one, I can only assume.

11-30-2010 02:05:30 | More by Jemonster
InspectorBob

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at Eulogy Belgian Tavern, Olde City during their sour week.

Poured into a tulip, dark ruby red color with about one finger of hesd which dissipates quickly leaving very little if no lacing.

Aromas of dark fruit, cherry/fig. Red wine gone bad.

Taste is sour and tart. A slight bit of sweetness for balance.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with some carbonation, dry, very dry.

Very drinkable, you hardly notice the 10% ABV on the finish. Becomes more funky as it warms. I like this beer...

11-28-2010 17:09:50 | More by InspectorBob
beerhan

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, batch 3x3 with almost no head but still retains carbonation. One of the most aromatic beers I have ever had. Smells like an entire bouquet of berries and wine and a bit of wood. Tastes very very tart and has a hot after taste. Lots of wine flavoring that comes through in every sip. This is very drinkable for being so strong but it is still a sipper because each sip needs to be enjoyed and savored on a special occasion.

11-28-2010 16:18:46 | More by beerhan
mfunk9786

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

From notes (2010 Capone's Black Friday event). Menu noted that this is from Vintage Batch 002:

A: Hardly any head, beautiful dark ruby red. Sort of like an expensive wood used to make high-dollar furniture.

S: Smells like sour candy. Strong cherry, sugar, red wine vinegar, very slight oak.

T: TASTES like sour candy! It's amazing, considering the time it spent in an oak barrel, how little the oak is present, and how little edge it actually took off. Many people who tried it at my table compared the taste to challenging one another to keep several Warhead candies in their mouths at once. Hardly any funk detectable, more like a lambic than anything.

M: Maybe it's because I had a well-aged batch, but there was no alcohol heat, burn, no sign of the 10% whatsoever. The sugary candy characteristics might make your back teeth hurt, though.

D: It's really a lovely flavor, but it is not a beer that should be paired with dinner, nor is it one that you should expect to finish a glass (however small) of within a short period of time. It is far more interesting than any dessert wine I've ever had in my life though, which makes it well worth its high price by default.

A lovely beer, and it definitely makes me want to try Supplication - I'm curious as to what a year or so more oak aging does to this formula.

11-28-2010 01:21:09 | More by mfunk9786
beachbum1975

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Growler from a recent trade with sholland119. Thanks VERY much, Scott!

I've had bottled & corked Consecration on multiple occasions, but this is my first RR sour in a growler format. Batch #4.

Poured a gorgeous, clear root beer brown with light tan edges. Despite sitting in a growler for 2 weeks, I got a 1/2 inch, white head with compact bubbles. The head fizzled out quickly leaving a fine ring of fizz around the edges of my Lost Abbey tulip.

I got sour cherries, apple cider and new oak on the nose. There was also hints of figs and strawberries. Rich and stong, very nice.

Wow, what a beer. Complex, full bodied and masterfully balanced. The flavor hits you big at first, then fades quickly leaving a faint and pleasing oak film in the aftertaste. There are so many flavors swirling around in the sourness that it's hard to identify them! Like the nose, the predominant flavors are sour cherries, apple cider and new oak.

The champagne yeasts in this beer work perfectly. Not too much, not too little.

I am officially ready to move to the San Diego area so I can have RR sours on a regular basis.

Serving type: growler

11-26-2010 00:47:36 | More by beachbum1975
UTCengOwl

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a Great Divide balloon glass as a Thanksgivng dessert. From a bottle labeled Batch 004x5

The beer has somewhat of a head when poured, but it quickly dies down. The beer itself is a rich, deep red and is wonderfully clear.

The smell of the beer is vinegar, but ther are also some sweet fruits that go along with it. Interesting.

The taste is wonderfully complex. An initial hit of sweetness and dark fruits. Followed by a bite of acetic acid which mellows out into a smooth finish. I typically hate acetic acid in a beer, but this is more of a refreshing burst instead of a lingering unpleasantness. Excellent depth.

The weight on my mouth is great. The beer spreads to all of the parts of my mouth and coats my tounge with a varie of colors. For being an acetically dominated sour beer, this is wonderfully drinkable. I normally can't handle these, but the finish here is so inviting that I can't help but drink more. I'm finding it harder and harder to not fall in love with Russian River. They need to start distributing to Texas!

11-25-2010 23:57:56 | More by UTCengOwl
LordAdmNelson

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Whoa way darker than I thought it would be... a ruddy cherrywood brown color with moderate tan head. I guess it makes sense since this is a kriek-esque brew, but it just surprised me. Smell is tart with some cherries, a bit of funk, some leather. Taste follows suit, a bit tart, but not as tart as some other RRs I've had, with nice cherry flavor that flirts with medicinal flavors (not overpowering thank God). Decent malt to it, a bit of an oak touch on the finish as well. MF was medium-light, dry finish, about normal for a sour. I was pretty surprised that this one was 10%, pretty easy drink. Worth a try, but at $17 a bottle, I find it hard to justify when I can get other fruit lambics that are almost just as good (or just as good) for half the price. Rose de Gambrinus, for example, (I know it's raspberries and not cherries) is every bit as good as this guy, in my opinion.

11-24-2010 15:33:47 | More by LordAdmNelson
gtn80

Maine

3.93/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance is a great ruby red color, almost mahogany. Bit worried about the lack of head though, almost like the secondary fermentation in the bottle didn't happen. No head, no pop when cork came out of the bottle.

Smell is malt that gives way to sourness, bit of funk. Dark fruits.

Taste is sourness all over, tart fruit, bit of vinegar. Pretty heavy malts mixed in, but overpowered by the sour and fruits. Touch of vanilla and oak.

Mouthfeel is full and thick, not helped by the lack of carbonation.

Drinkability is great for such a big beer, and even despite the carbonation.

I feel bad because my only experience with this beer is with lack of carbonation, so I can't tell if it's the beer or just the bottle.

11-24-2010 01:54:01 | More by gtn80
sitarist

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks thedindaniel.

Batch 004X2.

Pours the color of cherry stained wood...A half an inch of head falls to hardly a ring...Spots of lacing slide back into the liquid. As I pour this beer tart aromas fill the room, and you can hear the carbonation fizzing away.

It is vinous...I smell sour cherry, leather, oak, and farm yard scents...Just like Temptation, I smell a faint hint of pickles...It reminds me of a good balsamic salad dressing. As it warms more of the farm funk comes out.

Red wine vinegar leads the way with hints of sour cherry and currant jelly...the flavors are pleasant and well balanced...sour but not too sour.

A mild citric acid bite...a fizzy carbonation that reminds me of pop-rocks...it has a medium body, and dry finish.

A dam good, well crafted beer. I could only drink one or two in a sitting, but I sure would like to have a cellar full of this treat. Another beer that will remain on my wants list.

11-22-2010 04:54:02 | More by sitarist
beertunes

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

I'm not sure what style glass this was served in, it was kind of a cross between a flute and a tulip. Poured a reddish mahogany with about 1/2 inch of off-white head that had medium retention and light lacing.

Grapes and wine! That is what dominated the nose, and there were traces of malt, spice and yeast in the background. Oh yes, this is mouth-puckeringly sour brew. Tart, tangy and sour, they wine flavor wasn't as strong as the had led me to expect.

The body was good, although a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good for a sour and the beer stayed puckerific to the last drop.

Overall, a good beer, a must try if you see it.

11-20-2010 21:19:58 | More by beertunes
grittybrews

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Batch 004x5. Poured a muddy ruby-mahogany into a tulip with a thin finger of off-white, quick-receding head. Vivid aroma of tart cherry, apple, funk, peppery spice, and a bit of oak.

Moderate carbonation and a dry, prickly, slick mouthfeel. Sour up front with cranberry and balsamic notes, apple, leather, and a hint of vanilla and tobacco on the finish before returning to a lingering, puckering cherry tartness. Alcohol is almost completely masked.

Temptation is probably my all-around favorite from Russian River, but this and Supplication are right up there as well. A wonderful treat to savor slowly!

11-20-2010 06:19:21 | More by grittybrews
Chizoad

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Have had this on many occasions, and it is a classic. Every time on-tap though, and like Temptation, I suspect it's better in the bottle with a little age on it.

Small bit of foam but rapidly dissipates, leaving no lacing. Very pretty, clear brown beer with edges having a light amber hue.

Heavenly smell that hints at wine, salt, sourness, oak, slight malt. The taste is nearly identical, and has depth to it that makes you want to take more and more sips. Not overwhelmingly sour either which keeps the mouthfeel well balanced. Perfect carbonation.

Highly drinkable. I would give this a 5 but it can get sour and a little cloying after a while.

11-14-2010 23:40:25 | More by Chizoad
stimulus

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a tulip. Batch 004, bottling #4.

A: Pours a clear amber with virtually no head.
S: Funk from the Brett, and sourness from dark fruits.
T: Sour currants with funkiness from the brettanomyces and a smooth oak finish.
M: Light body with a medium carbonation.
D: Very drinkable. Sour, but no trace of alcohol. Pretty good.

11-11-2010 01:49:59 | More by stimulus
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to screamforme for sending this one east to me.. Thanks, Mark!

Poured into a Duvel tulip... A fairly clear soft brownish amber with a short lived head that fades to a ring...

Really loving the aromas here... A slightly tart vinous aspect... Some straight out funk... I think maybe even some green apple and hints of chocolate? Whatever, it smells terrific... Very intriguing...lots of leather and earthiness as well..

Bracingly sour at first but quickly into a medley of leather, tart green apples, hints of chocolate, barnyard funk, and vinousness... Carbonation level is perfect for this beer... Crisp and sharp with a dry finish... I'm not an expert on sours or anything but this is amazing... There's quite a bit going on behind the curtain of sourness present and it changes all the time.. Very very nice...

I really loved this brew a lot... If this was available here, I'd always have some for sure... Its all I was hoping it would be... Better than Supplication which is the only other RR sour that ibe had... Was sad to see this 375ml bottle go... Could easily drink another one if the ABV didn't get me...

11-09-2010 23:06:19 | More by Tilley4
Feedbacker

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

12.68 fl oz bottle, 04x04.

Poured into an Urthel tulip glass. A deep red in color, not quite as dark as but definitely resembling a nice red wine. The smell is intensely winey and funky, the wild yeasts not being concealed in the slightest. The taste acidic, sour and funky, with the currants coming through. Very carbonated, fairly light mouthfeel considering the 10% ABV. I can easily put back more than a few of these, and have done so in the past.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers and definitely my favorite sour ale. It's a little pricey here in Philadelphia, but it's worth every penny.

11-08-2010 23:00:47 | More by Feedbacker
bamadog

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

I received this particular bottle (004x002) in a trade some time ago, and I had been waiting for a good enough reason to drink it... I figured that celebrating a night when I knew I could sleep in until 9:00 AM the next day was worth drinking it for. Review is from notes taken on 11/4/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: This beer opens to a huge pop -- pours a coppery/mahogany color and starts with a one finger, off-white head that fades quickly to nothing other than a few thin wisps that seem to slither around the surface, caused by the carbonation bubbling up from beneath; body is quite clear and shows plenty of carbonation; a couple of lone spots of strands of lacing are left behind along with an oily residue.

Smell: Wonderfully tart and sweet at the same time - smell is reminiscent of cherry, but also has some of the label-mentioned currants as well; bit of a sour, brett funkiness; slight hint of oaky vanilla in the back as well; the sourness becomes much more present as it continues to warm.

Taste: Wow. This beer is pretty amazing; lots of very tart fruity aspects that make me pucker immediately, yet soothes very quickly; a smooth oakiness with a sweet lingering hint of vanilla to it lies underneath; the funk present in the nose is not especially perceptible in the mouth; this beer is reminiscent of red wine in the finish with a bit of a lingering sour aftertaste; for being 10%, the alcohol is really undetectable.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and it is slick and oily on the palette; leaves a thick, sticky coating on the roof that is counteracted by a strong mouthwatering sensation caused by the sourness and carbonation -- really quite excellent; belly is left warm from the ABV and acidic sourness.

Drinkability: Definitely a bit of a rare treat here -- glad I've got a 750 mL bottle stashed away still for another special occasion; amazing beer, but at 10% and a higher acidity, I do feel it is good in drinkability, but not great.

11-06-2010 00:58:58 | More by bamadog