Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,480
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros

3.52/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours an opaque caramel color with no head. Tart apple and Belgian yeast aromas. Ok, so I'm not a wild fan at all. I mean, as much as I want to get it, I just don't. Have you ever picked up a sack of apples that have fallen off the tree? The sack was left outside all night. You went out the next late afternoon and picked them up. The movement stirred the honey bees inside. You stuck your head in the sack. This beer tastes like that apple sack smells. I do enjoy how after the beer disappears from the palate and I lick my lips, there's a sweet taste that, subsequently, appears on the tongue. I'm still developing my palate for the wilds. Bear with me.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Batch 007 Poured into wine glass

A: Thin white head that disappears quickly, reddish orange-brown color, decent to good carbonation,

S: Cab sauv, black currants, lemon zest, vinegar, funkiness

T: Spices, tart and sour, tabacco, black currants, Cab, earthy and funky

M: Full-bodied, good prickly carbonation, smooth, good aftertaste

O: Very good stuff, a very drinkable sipper sour

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Batch 7 poured into a snifter.

A- Clear dark brown/ maroon with a very small head that disapates.

S- prunes, vinegar, citrus, alcohol, and vanilla.

T- vinegar, Chardonnay comes through, bitter citrus, some dark fruits, and yeast.

M- bitterness lingers, alcohol not very present on my palate, and nice carbonation.

O- the first time I had this beer I did not know what I was drinking. Several months later i now understand what a sour beer is I appreciate them much more. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. I've had Sanctification, Beatification, and Temptation this week and this beer is just as awesome.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Goose Island chalice

A: Pours a ruddy brown color. There is some light tan foam as I pour but it disappears quickly.

S: The smell is lightly fruity and sweet. There is a little bit of tangy vinegar as well. Some citrus/apple.

T: Very tart. The currants are luscious and tangy. A slight vinegar flavor complements this nicely. There is a mild vinous and sour grape character that increases as the beer warms. A good amount of barnyard funk, wet hay, but its much more tart than funky. There is also a lactic sourness that permeates the flavor and leaves my mouth watering. I can taste a lot of different tangy fruit flavors like apple, citrus and grapefruit. Cannot taste the alcohol at all.

M: Small amount of carbonation is effervescent and playful. Light bodied and mouthwatering.

O: A very good sour beer. There are a lot of dimensions to this beer; it covers sour, tart, funky, vinegar and tangy. The fruit flavor is also vibrant.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to jtd1969 for hooking me up with a bottle of this.

Poured into a Southern Tier tulip. Pours a dark ruby, amber color with a thin layer of fizzy, white head that quickly fizzles away. The nose has notes of grapes, alcohol, and currants. The smell is quite spicy and fruity with a significant amount of the alcohol coming through. The flavor is very tart and sour. It makes my cheeks pucker immediately. The currants come through as do some fruits like red grapes and maybe raspberries. There is a juice or wine characteristic to it. The alcohol really isn't too noticeable. It adds some warmth as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, a bit viscous, smooth, and has a bubbly carbonation.

This is my first Wild Ale. I'm impressed. It's complex, drinkable, smooth, refreshing, but a sipper. If RR was available around NC I would have this more often for sure.

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%