Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,339
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
ADZA

Australia

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Another exciting brew i get to sample im stoked and it pours a light reddish/brown sherry hue which starts off with the carbonation look of a beer with a frothy two finger head but it quickly recedes to look like a fine wine with no head left or lacing whatsoever,the aroma is a combination of dried red berries,figs,oak and of course currants,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated and to be honest the mouthfeel is a cross between wine and beer and flavours of red currants,cab sav,tobacco,oak and red grape sourness all come through combined rather nicely and the dry sourness right at the finish really makes it very drinkable for me as i do like my lambics and its 10%ABV is nowhere to be found it is so well hidden its not funny and overall if this is what AWA's taste like i think i might have found a new favourite style,highly recommend cheers.

12-01-2010 05:04:25 | More by ADZA
Jemonster

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Red-brown color. Fine carbonation. Like a light root beer color and slightly opaque. No head to speak of. Attractive.

S: Sour as expected with a currant scent. For someone who hasn't has currants, it's a sweet plum/fig/raisin smell. Very pleasant. With the wood scent, it can even be compared to sweet baked beans.

T: A sour smack in the face right from the start, which is great, since I like sour beers. This beer is sour, followed by tartness, followed by more puckering sourness. The currants can be tasted right as the beer passes my lips, but that is all. The yeast/bacteria combination delivers a crazy funkiness that tastes like nothing else I've ever had. There is barely any sweetness. I can't believe this is 10% ABV because I don't detect ANY alcohol.

M: Crisp and bubbly. I was expecting it to be heavier but it is fairly clean due to the acidity as well.

D: I would like to say I could drink these all day, but the acidity would probably wear out my tongue. Since I only have the privilege to drink one, I can only assume.

11-30-2010 02:05:30 | More by Jemonster
InspectorBob

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at Eulogy Belgian Tavern, Olde City during their sour week.

Poured into a tulip, dark ruby red color with about one finger of hesd which dissipates quickly leaving very little if no lacing.

Aromas of dark fruit, cherry/fig. Red wine gone bad.

Taste is sour and tart. A slight bit of sweetness for balance.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied with some carbonation, dry, very dry.

Very drinkable, you hardly notice the 10% ABV on the finish. Becomes more funky as it warms. I like this beer...

11-28-2010 17:09:50 | More by InspectorBob
beerhan

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, batch 3x3 with almost no head but still retains carbonation. One of the most aromatic beers I have ever had. Smells like an entire bouquet of berries and wine and a bit of wood. Tastes very very tart and has a hot after taste. Lots of wine flavoring that comes through in every sip. This is very drinkable for being so strong but it is still a sipper because each sip needs to be enjoyed and savored on a special occasion.

11-28-2010 16:18:46 | More by beerhan
mfunk9786

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

From notes (2010 Capone's Black Friday event). Menu noted that this is from Vintage Batch 002:

A: Hardly any head, beautiful dark ruby red. Sort of like an expensive wood used to make high-dollar furniture.

S: Smells like sour candy. Strong cherry, sugar, red wine vinegar, very slight oak.

T: TASTES like sour candy! It's amazing, considering the time it spent in an oak barrel, how little the oak is present, and how little edge it actually took off. Many people who tried it at my table compared the taste to challenging one another to keep several Warhead candies in their mouths at once. Hardly any funk detectable, more like a lambic than anything.

M: Maybe it's because I had a well-aged batch, but there was no alcohol heat, burn, no sign of the 10% whatsoever. The sugary candy characteristics might make your back teeth hurt, though.

D: It's really a lovely flavor, but it is not a beer that should be paired with dinner, nor is it one that you should expect to finish a glass (however small) of within a short period of time. It is far more interesting than any dessert wine I've ever had in my life though, which makes it well worth its high price by default.

A lovely beer, and it definitely makes me want to try Supplication - I'm curious as to what a year or so more oak aging does to this formula.

11-28-2010 01:21:09 | More by mfunk9786
beachbum1975

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Growler from a recent trade with sholland119. Thanks VERY much, Scott!

I've had bottled & corked Consecration on multiple occasions, but this is my first RR sour in a growler format. Batch #4.

Poured a gorgeous, clear root beer brown with light tan edges. Despite sitting in a growler for 2 weeks, I got a 1/2 inch, white head with compact bubbles. The head fizzled out quickly leaving a fine ring of fizz around the edges of my Lost Abbey tulip.

I got sour cherries, apple cider and new oak on the nose. There was also hints of figs and strawberries. Rich and stong, very nice.

Wow, what a beer. Complex, full bodied and masterfully balanced. The flavor hits you big at first, then fades quickly leaving a faint and pleasing oak film in the aftertaste. There are so many flavors swirling around in the sourness that it's hard to identify them! Like the nose, the predominant flavors are sour cherries, apple cider and new oak.

The champagne yeasts in this beer work perfectly. Not too much, not too little.

I am officially ready to move to the San Diego area so I can have RR sours on a regular basis.

11-26-2010 00:47:36 | More by beachbum1975
UTCengOwl

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a Great Divide balloon glass as a Thanksgivng dessert. From a bottle labeled Batch 004x5

The beer has somewhat of a head when poured, but it quickly dies down. The beer itself is a rich, deep red and is wonderfully clear.

The smell of the beer is vinegar, but ther are also some sweet fruits that go along with it. Interesting.

The taste is wonderfully complex. An initial hit of sweetness and dark fruits. Followed by a bite of acetic acid which mellows out into a smooth finish. I typically hate acetic acid in a beer, but this is more of a refreshing burst instead of a lingering unpleasantness. Excellent depth.

The weight on my mouth is great. The beer spreads to all of the parts of my mouth and coats my tounge with a varie of colors. For being an acetically dominated sour beer, this is wonderfully drinkable. I normally can't handle these, but the finish here is so inviting that I can't help but drink more. I'm finding it harder and harder to not fall in love with Russian River. They need to start distributing to Texas!

11-25-2010 23:57:56 | More by UTCengOwl
LordAdmNelson

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%

Whoa way darker than I thought it would be... a ruddy cherrywood brown color with moderate tan head. I guess it makes sense since this is a kriek-esque brew, but it just surprised me. Smell is tart with some cherries, a bit of funk, some leather. Taste follows suit, a bit tart, but not as tart as some other RRs I've had, with nice cherry flavor that flirts with medicinal flavors (not overpowering thank God). Decent malt to it, a bit of an oak touch on the finish as well. MF was medium-light, dry finish, about normal for a sour. I was pretty surprised that this one was 10%, pretty easy drink. Worth a try, but at $17 a bottle, I find it hard to justify when I can get other fruit lambics that are almost just as good (or just as good) for half the price. Rose de Gambrinus, for example, (I know it's raspberries and not cherries) is every bit as good as this guy, in my opinion.

11-24-2010 15:33:47 | More by LordAdmNelson
gtn80

Maine

3.93/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance is a great ruby red color, almost mahogany. Bit worried about the lack of head though, almost like the secondary fermentation in the bottle didn't happen. No head, no pop when cork came out of the bottle.

Smell is malt that gives way to sourness, bit of funk. Dark fruits.

Taste is sourness all over, tart fruit, bit of vinegar. Pretty heavy malts mixed in, but overpowered by the sour and fruits. Touch of vanilla and oak.

Mouthfeel is full and thick, not helped by the lack of carbonation.

Drinkability is great for such a big beer, and even despite the carbonation.

I feel bad because my only experience with this beer is with lack of carbonation, so I can't tell if it's the beer or just the bottle.

11-24-2010 01:54:01 | More by gtn80
sitarist

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks thedindaniel.

Batch 004X2.

Pours the color of cherry stained wood...A half an inch of head falls to hardly a ring...Spots of lacing slide back into the liquid. As I pour this beer tart aromas fill the room, and you can hear the carbonation fizzing away.

It is vinous...I smell sour cherry, leather, oak, and farm yard scents...Just like Temptation, I smell a faint hint of pickles...It reminds me of a good balsamic salad dressing. As it warms more of the farm funk comes out.

Red wine vinegar leads the way with hints of sour cherry and currant jelly...the flavors are pleasant and well balanced...sour but not too sour.

A mild citric acid bite...a fizzy carbonation that reminds me of pop-rocks...it has a medium body, and dry finish.

A dam good, well crafted beer. I could only drink one or two in a sitting, but I sure would like to have a cellar full of this treat. Another beer that will remain on my wants list.

11-22-2010 04:54:02 | More by sitarist
beertunes

Washington

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

I'm not sure what style glass this was served in, it was kind of a cross between a flute and a tulip. Poured a reddish mahogany with about 1/2 inch of off-white head that had medium retention and light lacing.

Grapes and wine! That is what dominated the nose, and there were traces of malt, spice and yeast in the background. Oh yes, this is mouth-puckeringly sour brew. Tart, tangy and sour, they wine flavor wasn't as strong as the had led me to expect.

The body was good, although a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good for a sour and the beer stayed puckerific to the last drop.

Overall, a good beer, a must try if you see it.

11-20-2010 21:19:58 | More by beertunes
grittybrews

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Batch 004x5. Poured a muddy ruby-mahogany into a tulip with a thin finger of off-white, quick-receding head. Vivid aroma of tart cherry, apple, funk, peppery spice, and a bit of oak.

Moderate carbonation and a dry, prickly, slick mouthfeel. Sour up front with cranberry and balsamic notes, apple, leather, and a hint of vanilla and tobacco on the finish before returning to a lingering, puckering cherry tartness. Alcohol is almost completely masked.

Temptation is probably my all-around favorite from Russian River, but this and Supplication are right up there as well. A wonderful treat to savor slowly!

11-20-2010 06:19:21 | More by grittybrews
Chizoad

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Have had this on many occasions, and it is a classic. Every time on-tap though, and like Temptation, I suspect it's better in the bottle with a little age on it.

Small bit of foam but rapidly dissipates, leaving no lacing. Very pretty, clear brown beer with edges having a light amber hue.

Heavenly smell that hints at wine, salt, sourness, oak, slight malt. The taste is nearly identical, and has depth to it that makes you want to take more and more sips. Not overwhelmingly sour either which keeps the mouthfeel well balanced. Perfect carbonation.

Highly drinkable. I would give this a 5 but it can get sour and a little cloying after a while.

11-14-2010 23:40:25 | More by Chizoad
stimulus

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into a tulip. Batch 004, bottling #4.

A: Pours a clear amber with virtually no head.
S: Funk from the Brett, and sourness from dark fruits.
T: Sour currants with funkiness from the brettanomyces and a smooth oak finish.
M: Light body with a medium carbonation.
D: Very drinkable. Sour, but no trace of alcohol. Pretty good.

11-11-2010 01:49:59 | More by stimulus
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to screamforme for sending this one east to me.. Thanks, Mark!

Poured into a Duvel tulip... A fairly clear soft brownish amber with a short lived head that fades to a ring...

Really loving the aromas here... A slightly tart vinous aspect... Some straight out funk... I think maybe even some green apple and hints of chocolate? Whatever, it smells terrific... Very intriguing...lots of leather and earthiness as well..

Bracingly sour at first but quickly into a medley of leather, tart green apples, hints of chocolate, barnyard funk, and vinousness... Carbonation level is perfect for this beer... Crisp and sharp with a dry finish... I'm not an expert on sours or anything but this is amazing... There's quite a bit going on behind the curtain of sourness present and it changes all the time.. Very very nice...

I really loved this brew a lot... If this was available here, I'd always have some for sure... Its all I was hoping it would be... Better than Supplication which is the only other RR sour that ibe had... Was sad to see this 375ml bottle go... Could easily drink another one if the ABV didn't get me...

11-09-2010 23:06:19 | More by Tilley4
Feedbacker

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

12.68 fl oz bottle, 04x04.

Poured into an Urthel tulip glass. A deep red in color, not quite as dark as but definitely resembling a nice red wine. The smell is intensely winey and funky, the wild yeasts not being concealed in the slightest. The taste acidic, sour and funky, with the currants coming through. Very carbonated, fairly light mouthfeel considering the 10% ABV. I can easily put back more than a few of these, and have done so in the past.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers and definitely my favorite sour ale. It's a little pricey here in Philadelphia, but it's worth every penny.

11-08-2010 23:00:47 | More by Feedbacker
bamadog

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

I received this particular bottle (004x002) in a trade some time ago, and I had been waiting for a good enough reason to drink it... I figured that celebrating a night when I knew I could sleep in until 9:00 AM the next day was worth drinking it for. Review is from notes taken on 11/4/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: This beer opens to a huge pop -- pours a coppery/mahogany color and starts with a one finger, off-white head that fades quickly to nothing other than a few thin wisps that seem to slither around the surface, caused by the carbonation bubbling up from beneath; body is quite clear and shows plenty of carbonation; a couple of lone spots of strands of lacing are left behind along with an oily residue.

Smell: Wonderfully tart and sweet at the same time - smell is reminiscent of cherry, but also has some of the label-mentioned currants as well; bit of a sour, brett funkiness; slight hint of oaky vanilla in the back as well; the sourness becomes much more present as it continues to warm.

Taste: Wow. This beer is pretty amazing; lots of very tart fruity aspects that make me pucker immediately, yet soothes very quickly; a smooth oakiness with a sweet lingering hint of vanilla to it lies underneath; the funk present in the nose is not especially perceptible in the mouth; this beer is reminiscent of red wine in the finish with a bit of a lingering sour aftertaste; for being 10%, the alcohol is really undetectable.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight and it is slick and oily on the palette; leaves a thick, sticky coating on the roof that is counteracted by a strong mouthwatering sensation caused by the sourness and carbonation -- really quite excellent; belly is left warm from the ABV and acidic sourness.

Drinkability: Definitely a bit of a rare treat here -- glad I've got a 750 mL bottle stashed away still for another special occasion; amazing beer, but at 10% and a higher acidity, I do feel it is good in drinkability, but not great.

11-06-2010 00:58:58 | More by bamadog
nkersten

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottle batch 004x02 poured into Oerbier tulip. A hazy dried blood redish brown with an off white fizzy head that disappears quickly. Not an attractive beer. Smell is sour fruit, cherry pits, sugary sour candy, a hint of wine oakiness and funk. Taste is not nearly as complex as the smell - sour grapes at first, followed by a hint of alcohol and some wet oak. Mouthfeel is puckering at first, light body with prickly carbonation and a dry finish. Pretty drinkable, though not the best batch of consecration I have had.

11-03-2010 03:46:40 | More by nkersten
boomer31

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

Loved batch 2 but didn't review it. Review taken from batch 4

A - Transparent ruby red with a white ring around the glass.

S - That funk nose of brett and slight vinegar.

T - Right away this is more fruity than I recall. Currants, maybe but the citrus really stands out. Wood and dry tartness in the back. At 10% you don't get any of the ABV.

M - Highly carbed, light on the palate but dry and tart.

D - Fruity but tart. A very solid Wild, one of the best I've had. Sharing a bottle is probably a very good idea.

I'm still trying to get my palate for wilds but this one is right up there all the other wilds I've had, tart, dry and fruity.

11-03-2010 01:39:30 | More by boomer31
brendan13

Australia

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Poured into a tulip glass a very dark copper/amber colour with a thin beige head that falls away almost immediately.
S - Light balsamic vinegar, horsey/barnyard funk, lots of dark fruit aroma, light vanilla oakiness.
T - Much the same as the taste really. An amazing blend of flavours.
M - You can feel the prickling acidity on your tongue - wow. Takes the award for the lightest body beer with the highest flavour I've ever had.
D - 10% is hardly noticeable. While the flavour is amazing I couldn't drink, or afford, much of it. A rare treat & very happy I bought 2 bottles.

11-01-2010 10:06:59 | More by brendan13
dragonWhale

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%

How I love the Eastside..

8 oz into a snifter. This is a medley of the gods. Yes, there are currants here, but there is so much more, and it is hardly about the fruit so much as about the magnificence of of the blend. Sharply sour, there is a slight fruit funk to it but blending in well with the minimal malt presence.
The clear amber looks absolutely glorious in the glass, sturdy and lovingly giving its all to you, astute beer drinker. Smells and tastes sharp and slightly fruity, currants. An absolute treasure, a pleasure. It rips its flavor into your throat, forcing you to appreciate or die trying. The alcohol comes out a bit but the sour dominates the profile. This is a magical beast, worthy of all praise.

11-01-2010 00:15:27 | More by dragonWhale
kbanks13

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to Popkas for trading this one to me a little while ago.

Batch 002X003 poured into a Delirium snifter with a color of dark cherry wood with brighter shades of red when held to the light. Loose tan head that is gone in a flash with little lacing. Smells of yeast, must and horse blanket. Lots of wood, cherry and vinous aromas, too. Taste is a wonderful blend of oak and sweet fruits with a tart lemon flavor, like a good red wine but with a sour twist. Not anywhere near overly tart or overly sweet, the two are in perfect balance. Subtle grain characteristic in the background. Clean on the palate with no real lingering tastes. Medium carbonation with a light body that has a sweet flavor but a dry and puckering finish. Drinks surprisingly easy for a 10% ABV beer. I will have to trade for more of this and try it fresh too.

10-31-2010 02:02:48 | More by kbanks13
boMD

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

Have had this many times on tap. Lets talk about a Saraveza pour. Ruby hue with a beige head. Tart, funky tones, with oak and yeast on the nose. Well carbonated which balanced the alcohol and tart, sour characteristics. I could feel the alcohol going down my esophagus which was pretty warming. Some flavors of oak and wild yeast which was noticeable but not as smooth and tart/sour as I would hope. And the currants were very subtle and in the background mostly and a little in the finish.

10-27-2010 20:46:08 | More by boMD
oregone

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Rockin good.
First beer that I'd serve in a proper (read: good) wine glass. And that's how I do.
Just all around excellent with pronounced vinous qualities and aggressive but evolving and complex character. Not as seductive as the Temptation, nor as drinkable, but certainly better than the Supplication which lacks the charm of the former and the strength of this.
Ruby crimson appearance with very active effervescence. Small bubbles.
Smells of hide and the barrels it was aged in. Oak, Northern California Cabernet. New shoes and old cars. Dried tart cherries. Pedro Ximenez sherry.
Feels very crisp in the mouth, which suits this as it could become too intense without the refreshment. I've heard this element of this beer criticized, but I think that it is a good fit here. Refreshing. Pierces the cheeks and a hint of sharpness on the tongue.
Taste is extravagant. Fruit up front, with cherry and currant being predominant. Grapey on the back palate. Earthiness and woodiness weave through.
Very drinkable. Can and have sipped this for hours. The effervescence and tartness pace the consumption, and the quality keeps you coming back for more.

10-26-2010 08:48:16 | More by oregone
SiepJones

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a Tulip

A: A dark brown with little clarity (same color as the bottle its sold in). There is a half inch ring of head with around the outer ring of my glass and some whispy trails of bubbles through the middle. The Duvel D at the bottom of my glass is creating a swirl of carbonation in the middle that makes the bubbles look like clouds of a hurricane.

S: Acidic sour, some cherry "tang", as well as some earthy oak notes.

D: Sour vinegar with a hint of tartness, slight earthy flavor on the finish. Like the Cabernet barrels the beer is aged in it has a similar finish, earthy and puckering. Sour not dry.

M: Slick, lightly carbonated mouth.

D: I enjoyed this beer and the fact that it really resembled a wine, minus the carbonation. I would gladly have another but for the ABV which at 10 is very high. While I don't notice the alcohol presence in the taste or scent I am sure I will feel it after my first glass.

10-24-2010 23:14:42 | More by SiepJones