1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,148 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
paulxqx

A loud pop when the cork popped.
Poured into a medium sized tulip glass.
Small head that disappeared quickly

The color was like a golden red, it looked heavenly.

The smell is remarkable! One of the most complex smells of any beer I have tried. It smelled like a fine cabernet sauvignon wine. Slightly sour, currants.

The flavor explodes the second it hits your lips! Such a remarkable complicated flavor,.. but in a good way. Tastes like a rich wed wine, sour, fruity, slight hints of vanilla.

Someone else reviewing this beer said that it has champagne like carbonation, I think that is pretty accurate. A little wetter though.

Extremely drinkable! I would not mind drinking on this year around. Every sip is fulfilling and rewarding. Complete perfection.

If you are lucky enough to get your hands on this you will not be dissapointed

03-12-2009 01:34:58 | More by paulxqx
kaseydad

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let the first Consecration experience begin.

Let it warm a little in the 750 ml and finally popped the top, went in for a sniff and was met by foam slowly pouring out and directly into the nostril and some on the floor. If I didn't have four more bottles I would have been pissed.

Pours a beautiful burgundy red and also a little brown with a nice small ring of foam around the snifter.

A slight vinegar aroma with whiffs of cherry as well. Currants are also present. Awesome!

Whoa! The taste is something I have never experienced before. Off the first sip I have a brain explosion of different things. There are so many things going on with this beer that it is hard to express. I taste subtle vinegar, cherries and a lil ol school funk. There is a slight acidity on the swallow but not unpleasant in the slightest. Very complex but amazing! It makes my mouth water at the finish...almost making me want to drink more to satisfy the craving. I oblige.

The drinkability for me is very high as the alcohol hides well in this beer for a 10%er.

Awesome, amazing beer that everyone should try at least once for the experience. This beer deserves the praises and ratings it has received. Very well done from one of my favorite Nor Cal breweries.

03-12-2009 01:14:16 | More by kaseydad
jwjon1

Delaware

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Don't know where to start, other than: holy cow this is a heck of a beer! Beautiful brick red--and though not fined or filtered to my understanding, certainly was quite clear. TONS of red fruit in this one, and I keep coming back to cranberry in both the nose and mouth. Nice and tart, no perception of alcohol, phenomenal bacteria cultures smelling of heaven for wild freaks like me. Extremely tight and very present carbonation--champagne like in character, and probably a function of slow, cool fermentation at the hands of a master craftsman. CO2 tightness could trick you into tasting mineral content in this one. But that's about the only wine reference I'd make: there really isn't cab character here, and the only fruit I get is coming from that added by the brewer and not from grapes. Moreover, the mouthfeel is very much so a light sparkler and not a muscular cab or tannic or hoppy brew. And this is a good thing! Nor is there overwhelming oak: the barrels were either neutral or only lightly toasted, or washed. Either way, big thumbs up for selecting barrels that let the beer shine. It's clearly paying to come from a family of winemakers and have friends in the biz (both for barrel sources and experience with oak).

More recent bottles indicate some signs of wine oxidation/stewed fruit. Nevertheless, if you consider yourself a sour fiend and enjoy fruited ales, do yourself a favor and seek this one out. Killer beer!

03-12-2009 00:52:34 | More by jwjon1
macktbone

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Served at the brewery on PTY release day 2-2-09.
Batch 2

A- Red hue with whiskey like body. Heaven help you if that's what you expect.

S- Sour grapes, lime, a touch of rum.

T- Tart cherries, sour patch kids, mold, oaky finish compared to batch 1.

M- Crisp and Clean.

D- IF you like sours this 10% beauty will bathe you in joy and happiness. It makes me smile.

Images of Friar Tuck and RobinHood flow from the glass. Just think of making a sour mead between battles with the sheriff of Nottingham. Arrows and barrels everywhere, the beer conjurs such strong emotion response.

Let us fight a revolution for the Hop Nation.

Keep in mind I wrote this at the brewery towards the end of a very long Russian River day. Thought I should re-write it a month later and laugh about it again.

03-10-2009 23:27:22 | More by macktbone
zminor

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

750 ml poured into a Bruery tulip glass

A- A beautiful almost totally opaque amber. Very hard to see through unless right next to a light.

S- Richly textured plums and currants; the Cabernet comes through very strongly. Like smelling a fruity, carbonated Cab.

T - Ahhh. Wow. Sour currants, some dark cherry, and maybe hints of plum. Perfectly balanced.

M/D- Really solid - the carbonation matches very well. Light, crisp feel that seems like a combination between a fine Cab Sav and a fantastic beer. I could drink this all day.... try it with some Jalapeno jack cheese.

03-10-2009 05:25:09 | More by zminor
Wetpaperbag

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

A- This was a 6oz pour in chalice with almost no head. Dark cranberry red in color. This looks tasty.

S- There really isn't much of a smell, but there is a slight metallic smell, with a bit of a slight acid smell.

T- This is where the magic happens. Very tasty, loads of sour cherry, with a touch of the currants. As this warms up its more of a sour Cabernet Sovereign. For me the sourness is tasty and mostly cherry.

M- Great feeling mouthfeel, good amount of carbination, not too much but just exactly what you would want.

D- Very easy to drink, almost too drinkable. But after 3 6oz glasses it does start to get a bit heavy in your stomach, but it is still tasty to say the least and super drinkable for 10%.

03-10-2009 03:38:45 | More by Wetpaperbag
Silenus89

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Corked and Caged 750ml bottle. Batch 001x2. Very loud noise upon pulling the cork, look out!! Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Had a reddish brown color to it with a thin head that reseeded quickly. No lacing.

S. Sour smell with red wine hints and currants

T. This was my first ever sour and its quite amazing, I must say. This definitely got better as it warmed. Just an explosion of red grapes, sour notes and wood notes. Very complex.

MF. Champagne like carbonation to it.

D. This is a highly drinkable beer, can hardly even taste the alcohol. This was an amazing beer for me, definitely gonna be looking for many more sours now. Well worth the 23 dollar price tag.

03-10-2009 03:18:49 | More by Silenus89
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours from caged and corked 750 ML bottle(Batch 001X2) a clear amber brown with a very spritzy head of foam. When it's spritzy, I know it's not going to last very long and it didn't. The bubbles surfacing to the top are keeping a small island afloat, so to speak. Hehe..the foam reminds me of pixels on a computer screen...

The smell is just as I remember from the samples I had at last year's GABF...Cabernet Sauvignon notes dominate with big notes of vanilla and oak and fruit that *is* currants. I love red currants on buttered toast and the smell here totally reminds me of that.

The taste is deliciously both sweet and tart up front. Maybe a bit more intense than I remember from the 1 oz samples but hey, I love that it is and I love the fact that I now have 25.4 oz, give or take a few as I've just taken a few sips, to take my time with and savour. The foam is now gone but I can still see the lively carbonation throwing up....errr...tossing...err..the bubbles are still making their way to the top nearly smack damn in the center of the glass.
Back to the taste. I'm now getting a pretty big kick from the Brett(sorry, I have a hard time spelling it out) and I'd be amiss if I didn't say there's a fair amount of caramel malt here, hence my first sentance on taste. Gee wiz this is so damn tasty and there's so much going on with the flavours, I can't describe them all properly.

Medium mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation, a plus in my book, it finishes with big sour and Brett notes. Wonderful!

Drinkability? 10%abv and I cannot taste it or feel it during or after the swallow. No warming for me at all but I *know* that when I finish this big bottle, I'll feel that all is right with the world, if that makes any sense. ;^)

Bottom line: A superb! American Wild Ale that I fell in love with from my very first sip. A must try for anyone who favours the style!

Finally..a big Thank You goes out to The Wine Underground in Englewood CO for making this available online!

03-08-2009 18:12:02 | More by Bitterbill
SickBrew

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

My folks brought this back from their "Wine" tour in norther CA along with a few select beers.

Uncorked a 750 ml bottle with my bro-in-law over the weekend and decanted the brew into a couple of oversize wine glasses. It pours a ruby brown and is capped by a finger of off white head that dissipates to a subtle ring. Nose immediately reminds me of beers like The Dissident. Sour, fruity twinges pop up each nostril just daring for another whiff. Aromas are however, a bit milder than some other, almost overpowering sour ales.

Flavor is tart, sour, fruity, acidic, oaky and altogether complex. Besides being a big sour ale, the flavors are a bit difficult to describe and really require an individual palate test. Mouthfeel is medium and supported by some fine carbonation. Overall this is an outstanding beer that masks it 10% ABV. It would go well with some tender hoofed wild game.

03-08-2009 16:52:42 | More by SickBrew
ccrida

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

750ml bottle (batch 001X3) poured into my large St. Feullien goblet (I was gonna go with one of the Russian River glasses, but they're all pretty ugly and none of them have the nucleation etching like this one), Consecration is a brilliant ruby with an off-white head that is pretty quick to settle to a thick skim, leaving light lace.

Smell is vinous, tart dark berries, caramel, not overly rich, even at cellar temp, but very nice. The constant crackle keeps it lively and enticing without overwhelming.

Taste is very nice. Immediately it reminds me of Oerbier Special Reserve, probably my favorite beer of all time. Which makes it all the harder for me to overlook that fact that I buy that for few less dollars for an equal volume, and that it comes from drastically further distance from a brewery that ages it for at least an extra year or so before release. Still, value is not a factor in taste, and on that accord there are very few that pale. Like most Flanders style beers, especially the stronger ones, I really wish I'd had this with the massive rib eye au poivre I had earlier, rather then splitting the Shiraz with my wife. Consecration is more overtly fruity (then the De Dolle), and is not that funky, although it's obviously pretty young, but is nevertheless fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium light, a crisp creamy carbontion, with just enough maltiness to keep it from being to thin. Very digestible, and the coating of the tannins on the mouth is pleasant and really ties in the wine barrel aging.

Drinkability is high, as this is about as good as it gets for me taste wise. My only ding is the cost, in that comparable beers in it's class (the aforementioned De Dolle, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien, etc...) are quite a bit less, and they all come from another continent, not a days drive south of me. Still, this is a masterful beer that I'm glad to see will be somewhat regularly available, demanding a high proportion of my beer budget until they ramp up and price down! In fact, the more I contemplate this beer, the more impressed I am, perhaps one of the best I've ever had - again, only the De Dolle being on par. Wow, this beer is just an incredible mind blower. As I worked though it, I had to bump it up to a 5, in spite of the price, because it was just so dang good, in spite of the young age!

Edit - I had to pop an 06 Oerbier Special Reserve to compare with the last glass of the Consecration, these notes are all from the perspective of the De Dolle:

a-much larger head, more lace, duller, murky body
s-much drier, more mineral, bright
t-less complexity, more (very clean) alcohol, less depth, more wood, less tannins. RR is fruitier, DD is earthier, and has less depth.
m-a bit less carbonation but still hanging strong, lighter, drier.
d-good, but I'm shocked to see I prefer the RR in the shootout. The oakiness is a bit much, it hasn't gotten overly funky like I'd hope with the age, and the depth doesn't match the RR. I like a sweeter beer, or more sour, but the aged DD reminds me of the disappointing 05 Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien I had on xmas eve, which was also over oaked and not that sour.

03-08-2009 08:18:34 | More by ccrida
sonicdescent

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to davod23 and joragan for this one. This far with me, Russian River has batted 1000, will the streak continue?

Pours a very dark red. Head was minimal but I poured it particularly slowly, so that's likely my issue.

Smell is sour cherries and grapes with some nice funk.

Taste is sour cherry and Brett funk. Awesome! Not insanely complex, just damn good.

Mouth is thin to medium with high carbonation.

Insanely drinkable, still waiting to try a bad beer from Russian River.

03-08-2009 03:37:54 | More by sonicdescent
jamesm7485

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Was lucky enough to score a bottle

The cork was the loudest cork ive ever heard and damn near flew out of my hand when i opened it. The instant sour fruit smell was heavenley, It pours a dark amber color, The taste is absurdly complex so much so im sure you could find almost any flavor you looked for. This and the brabant have mad me officaly change my favorite style from ris to american wild, an absolute must have for an ba

03-08-2009 01:23:15 | More by jamesm7485
illidurit

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #600!

Poured into a tulip glass. Root beer color with a deep amber tinge. Dark but mostly clear. Nice beige head fizzles out due to the acidity. Aroma is sour raisins and currants with a striking cabernet character that blends into the overall profile better than any other wine barrel-aged beer I've had. A brown sugar note emerges once my nose acclimates to the acidity of the aroma. Maybe even a little bourbon and light alcohol too. Very complex smell. Flavors of jammy wine, berries, raisins, oak, vinegar, brown sugar, and a bunch more I can't even articulate. Definitely improves as it warms up. Ridiculous complexity all around. Mouthfeel is rich and well carbonated with delicate bubbles. A joy to drink. RR just can't miss.

03-07-2009 04:56:25 | More by illidurit
DrewOSU

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Bonus beer consumed at Cincinnati BA RIS tasting on 3/5/2009, hosted by Yetiman420

A: Pours a dark amber to light brown. ½ inch tan and watery head. Sudsy light lacing on side of glass.

S: Sour, musty, tart, cider quality, with a little bit of funk. Big nose.

M/T: Very light mouth feel. Huge pucker to the back of the jaw on first taste, followed by a consistent rush of sour on the tongue. Finishes very dry without aftertaste.

D: Very light and dry, minimal to no aftertaste. Huge drinkability.

03-07-2009 03:28:05 | More by DrewOSU
steadydose

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Batch 001x2

Cork removed with a good pop, which let some mist out of the bottle along with scents of fruits.

A: Poured into an oversized tulip wine glass. Beer is amber/brown, with reddish highlights. High clarity. Khaki head dissipates quickly, no lacing stays on glass as beer disappears.

S: Initial smell was that of cherries. More sour than sweet most of the time. Lots of oak with just a touch of funk. As the beer opens up and warms 20 minutes later, more aromas of sweetness are present. My final glass from the bottle smelled even better with cabernet scents surfacing. Bottle says currants were used in this beer. I have never had currants knowingly, but I'm guessing there like cherries. Overall, impressive.

T: Sour cherries dominate, oak is present throughout. The cherries/ currants are sour most of the time, but the sweetness is almost there, almost noticeable, but never really makes its way completely. Beer is perfectly tart and acidic, Alcohol is hidden well. Long finish for a beer. Is this beer still?, or a beer wine hybrid. Lots of complexity and layers to this beer, which got better over the course of the bottle. Amazing.

M: High carbonation which contributed to a thicker body and mouthfeel. I enjoyed the amount of carbonation in this one. Clean finish.

D: Consecration is an amazing beer. Highly drinkable. I can not wait to have another bottle of this stuff, and see how it evolves with some cellaring.

03-06-2009 15:22:05 | More by steadydose
julian

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: Color is similar to that of a red wine, although not as dark. When held up to a light source, you can definitely notice the clarity but it's a fairly dark beer otherwise. Very effervescent! Lots of little bubbles rushing to the surface. A slow, gentle pour yielded a nice 1 finger nutty tan head that resembled champagne bubbles more than beer, quickly appearing and fading almost as suddenly. Thin layer of patchy foam remains on the surface.

Smell: Right up front you get the whiff of that Cabernet mixed with a mildly tart fruitiness. There's a mild alcoholic nip to it, but not surprising for a 10% ale. Slightly phenolic. Brett funk.

Taste: I really love this beer. There's definitely the flavor and feel of a Cabernet wine at the forefront of every sip, acidic and dry, yet tart and fruity from the added currents. This just gets better after every sip!

Mouthfeel: Starts off bubbly and pricky, and then slightly dry and acidic, but finishes off rather nicely with a sweeter fruity kick. Very good, and probably one of the more complex beers for the mouth to experience.

Drinkability: I can't really tell there's any alcohol in this. It's 10% but you wouldn't know it. It's definitely a pleasure to drink and one of the few Wild Ales I've had the opportunity to try - the other being Ommegeddon (which I rated B+)

03-05-2009 04:19:41 | More by julian
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%

Got this one from Joey and goodspeed94, thanks a ton gents!

750 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a tulip glass. Batch 001X4.

Pours a deep dark almost blood red with a quick (and quite loud) bubbly two finger light khaki colored head that falls to a thin pillowy layer of foam that lasts throughout. Virtually nothing in terms of lacing, a bit of a disappointment there. Aroma is heavenly; tart fruits, wet tobacco leaves, and rhubarb. Underneath the funk is a touch of chocolate and oak with some dark grapes and fig as well. Taste begins with some leafy greens, dates, and brett. Midway a bit of alcohol comes to the surface with a woody oak flavor and some vinegar. Aftertaste is where the sweetness lingers; bitter cocoa nibs, dark berries, and leather. Just a complex orgasm for the tongue, mmmhmmm. Pretty light and fluffy for a beer at 10% abv, I'm blown away. Lively, puckering carbonation, just a perfect feel in the mouth. Just a wonderful beer. Still no Deviation, but another sour from Russian River that definitely needs to be experienced by all.

03-05-2009 01:51:55 | More by BeerTruth
ThirdLap

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

There are few beers that served as 'eye-openers' for me, that is, they forever turned me on to the style and helped me realize what they were capable of being. Stone IPA, The Elder, and Stone IRS are all examples. Consecration joined this list several months ago, as it was the first wild ale that really caught my attention.

The color is deep ruby-red, with a short-lasting off-white head. I'm working from notes at the moment, but I'm inclined to say the Consecration I've had many times on tap appeared to be a deeper red, almost opaque. I only recently had the opportunity to try it from the bottle, and it appeared a bit more translucent than what I remember having on tap. No lacing remains as the Consecration quickly disappears.

The nose is tart berries, wine, and pure funk.

Consecration is a shock if you are new to the style, so don't try to win any craft beer converts with this one. Huge tartness from the currants are the first thing that hits you, followed by citrus, sweetness, and dark fruits, followed by a sour but clean finish.

Body is medium to full, with the on-draft variety seeming slightly fuller-bodied. Alcohol is present but very well muted for such a huge beer. Carbonation is well-balanced, and the finish is wonderfully clean. Drinkability is through the roof, especially if you're accustomed to the style.

At a recent tasting, I remember a friend's 60+ year-old father continually commenting 'this isn't what beer should taste like' after sampling Consecration for the first time. Not in a mean-spirited or angry manner, but in a rather shocked and confused way. It certainly is different, and far-removed from what most beer drinkers envision beer to be.

The best comparison I can think of is when a person tries something very sour for the first time, for example, a sour candy. Sweetness is expected, but this is the complete opposite! Shocked and slightly turned off, the candy is immediately removed from the mouth. Some time later you found that you actually enjoyed the variation in flavor and the effects it had on your tastebuds.

It's an oversimplification, but it illustrates how sours must be approached. There's a wealth of complexity hidden in them, one that you'll hopefully find just as exciting to explore as any other big beer.

Don't miss this one. As I've said before, Consecration is to wild ales what the Younger is to Imperial IPAs. If sours weren't so darn polarizing, this would undoubtedly be on the top 10.

03-04-2009 09:37:28 | More by ThirdLap
Beerzebub

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 001x01, poured in a big wine glass at 57 F/ 14 C.

Deep garnet color, small beige head, thick drippy rings of lace.

Aroma of sour fruit, earth and leaves like a wet forest floor, and some caramel. Deep, complex, very attractive.

Tastes sour but not overwhelmingly so, with dark fruit and fruity caramel sweetness. Orange peel, black tea and wood join in. Some deep earthy complexity. Outstanding balance and combination of flavors. Eventually some moderate herbal bitterness emerges, and the sweetness fades. Long finish, dry, moderately bitter, moderately astringent, woody, and still somewhat fruity, in a way like raisins and plum skins.

The carbonation is a bit fizzy, but good smooth texture overall. Quite drinkable for what it is.

Great beer, very enjoyable. Little outright funk, but still complex and interesting. I'm looking forward to trying this with some age on it.

03-04-2009 08:20:23 | More by Beerzebub
slaintemhor

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Had this on tap last night at The Horse Brass in Portland, Oregon. Delightfully acetous on the nose! On the palate...piquant, snappy, tannic, broodingly acerbic and redolent of macerated currants. Exquisitely tangy on the back of the palate with a sappy dryness and an extraordinarily long finish. A pleasure to drink!

03-04-2009 05:50:25 | More by slaintemhor
flexabull

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Hopefully a fitting beer for my birthday, (3-3-09... a square root day!) I am thinking this will be a good one to finish off the day.

Pours a dark and bright amber/brown color with a nice solid off white head.

Aromas are of very bright fruits, almost a cranberry like character, sour, tart, and with a faint hint of vinegar. A little lighter than other Russian River sours I have tried, but still quite pleasant.

Taste and character come off on first sip as SUPER dry. Beer then settles into some bright fruit flavors, cherries, currants, and cranberries. Finish is very tart, crisp, and with a light wine like bite, and some nice cider vinegar sourness. The sourness is very nice, I really like how the fruit flavors dominate more than the sourness, which is more like an interesting backdrop. Dang... another top notch tasting sour from Russian River.

Wonderful mouthfeel, maybe a touch to dry. But still has a great full feel.

Drinkability is exceptional. If I didn't notice the bottle, I would have never guessed this beer pushes 10% ABV. It drinks more like a 6% or 7% beer. This is more of a refined sour, not like the big blast of sour you get from something like the Supplication and Beautification. It's like this one is better "put together". Wow... yet another super offering from Vinnie and crew. It's currently my #2 sour from them, Sanctification still wins by a nose though.

03-04-2009 04:50:09 | More by flexabull
PatronWizard

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

Third beer in the line up at Mauerhan's. This one offered up by yours truly. Everyone else here already has one cellared, but it takes big ass balls to open one. Sparse notes, apologies.

Pours a deep burgandy with a decent head.

Smells pretty lovely. Tart, cherries, mouth watering. Big time reminds me of New Glarus Belgian Red.

Then the taste. Still reminds me of the NGBR, but with an added sourness. Sour isn't blatantly up your ass like most, so it's actually enjoyable.

Alcohol is completely invisible and at 10% I would actually buy this again whereas most sours I wouldn't.

Overall: beats Temptation as my favorite sour to date

03-03-2009 05:09:47 | More by PatronWizard
dapper

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Got this one from MSM deli on 6th Ave. At $22 a bottle I had to catch a sample. Pours a deep brown, has an apple cider effect with a fizzy head that evaps quickly. Its aged so it has that barrel smell with hints of fruits and leather. Big carbonation and champagne like feel
in the mouth. Tastes like champagne to me with apple and citrus notes. I enjoy drinking this as it is mellow and bubbly. Overall a decent beer that is worth the price to drink every once in a while.

03-02-2009 00:01:53 | More by dapper
ArrogantB

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

$22 750ml bottle batch 001x02. Red-brown color with almost no head yet it feels fizzy in my mouth. The smell is really quite interesting but subtle. Tobacco, chocolate, barrel, some brett, jam. The flavor is tart, sweet, hmmm... good, but not amazing like Deviation or the other RR barrel-aged beers.

Batch 002x02 06/2009

Pretty damn good, life is short, buy this beer.

Batch 002x02 08/2009

Quite good, smell is slightly dung-ish, lip-smacking sour fruits, good

Batch 001x02 09/2009

More tasty than it was fresh, might be worth saving.

02-28-2009 04:13:16 | More by ArrogantB
riored4v

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a SN Tulip Glass.

Appearance had a thin head that faded real quick down to nothing. No lacing either. Clear, ruby colored body.

Smell was of cherries, currants, slight oakiness and a nice Brett/Wild yeast funkiness.

Taste was amazing. Tart cherries and currant and a nice hint, but smoothing effect of barrel aging. A nice mellow funk/sourness from the Brett/Wild Yeasts. Smooth oakiness from the Cab barrels, alos lend a nice hint of tannins. Lots of tart, dark fruit flavors. Great sourness without being overpowering. More flavorful and complex as it warms up. A very slight sweetness shows in the middle of the drink.

Mouthfeel was of a medium body, well carbonated and crisp finish. Slight dryness.

Drinkability was good even though it is a sour. Very easy to drink and the flavors blend nicely, more-so as it warms up. Doesn't even hint at 10%.

This is by far one of my favorite sours as for as drinkability and flavor goes.

02-28-2009 04:09:07 | More by riored4v