Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,572
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,632 | Reviews: 1,090

batch number 003x1. pours a hazy ruby brown color with good tan head and good lacing. lots of lively fizzy carb almost reminds me of a soda pop. hints of wine and oak are apparent. maybe a bit of fizzy fruityness as well. light body, thin slick texture, and very long flavor duration. finishes a wonderful sweet and tart. couldn't ask for a better brew. hard to tell between this and supplication which i like better. wouldn't change anything about either of them. i guess for now they'll have to both remain tied a top my list of favorite beers.

I am overwhelmed with appreciation for this tasty beverage. Pours dark amber/ruby (my lighting is not very good) with almost nonexistent white head. Feels very smooth in my mouth, and mouth-puckeringly sour. With grape, floral, and oak tones, it almost tastes like a fine red wine--maybe a Syrah?--and I mean that in a good way.

My favorite RRB sour.

A: Nice head that quickly disappears. Small bubbles line the rim of the glass. Dark mahogany color.

S: Incredible. Ive had this many times and I look forward to the aroma just as much as the flavor. Its sour, tart, tangy, winey, dark grapes, cherries and berries.

T: This is a full-on pucker face sour bomb. Its red wine, cherries, oak and vanilla deliciousness.

M: Full, carbonated, tingly, explosive. Like pop rocks candy.

O: My favorite sour as the interplay between the intense tang/funk/fruit/oak is just perfect.

Perfection. If I had to choose between drinking milk or Consecration for the rest of my life I think my brain would implode from the sheer impossibility of deciding. If Jesus really did turn all that water into wine, it was really Consecration.

Seriously, this beer is the f'n best thing ever. The pour comes out the same shade of brown as the bottle's label. It reminds me of root beer in its appearance and slight carbonation bubbles steadily rising. There isn't a whole lot of brett funk in the aroma, but more of a wine aroma. A friend said 'paint stripper'. I said that's the smell of 'awesome'. I can't write a review that would adequately describe the taste of this brew, or do it any justice. It's tart, sour, but not overly so. Your mouth waters after each drink, begging for one more taste. It has the perfect balance, allowing you to drink this endlessly. Despite being a heavy-hitter at 10% ABV, you do not taste it at all. The warmth from it comes through, but that is it. Consecration finishes with an dryness that finishes its statement of 'Yes, you are drinking the most epic shit ever'.

Bottled on 2/11/14. Opened on 8/15/14

A - Amber red with a tiny bit of clarity, a touch of head.

A - Oak from the barrel, wine, cherries

T - Strong ale, with an oaky wine barrel flavor. It does not get any better than this

M - Medium body, oily slick

O - Incredible beer! One of my favorites of all time

Really enjoyable! Fizzy champaign like carbonation makes it a fun feel. You can taste the Cab from the barrel, the 10% is covered well. Cherries, very nice amount of sourness. A+

On-tap at R.R. I've never given out a perfect score till now!

A: A great cross between a wine and a beer. It's a ruby red like a Cab but has the transparency of a beer. No head

S: Tart cherries, oak and Wine. I thought it was just oak-aged but the brewery says aged in Cabrenet barrels. You can tell and I loved it!

T: From the first sip I feel in love with this beer. The tartness of the cherries reminds me of the Belgian Red from N.G. but that's where it ends. Then it transitions to an interesting wild ale taste that totally works. I get a lot of wine sharpness in the finish and man it's fantastic!

The mouthfeel and drinkability speak for themselves. I would happily drink these till I couldn't see anymore and damn near did! This was there best beer in my opinion! Other than the price there is nothinhg wrong with this beer in my opinion! One of the best beers (better than Abyss and KBS) I've ever had!

It gets no better than this, currently my favorite beer ever.

Like Supplication on steroids, you get flavors of cherries, oak, chocolate, cognac and sour citrus with a deep, caramelly malt backdrop. Appearance is a deep, dark amber with almost no light penetration or head. Thick, chewy mouthfeel and a deep, vinous smell. Worth over penny. A perfect beer.

4.99/5  rDev +10.9%

Serving Type- Poured on tap at Russian River Brewery

Appearance- Dark ruby red color, two finger white head the goes away very quickly

Smell- Dark cherries, funk, sour, neutral oak, just an amazing sour smell

Taste- WOW, Dark cherries, funk, sour, neutral oak tannin in the back of the palate, the BEST sour I have ever had and using Cab Barrels for aging is genius and comes through in a vinnus character

Mouthfeel- Tart, sweet, dry

Overall- The BEST Sour I have ever had and one of the top 5 beers I have ever had

4.98/5  rDev +10.7%

Batch 001

A: A dark ruby brown with a pure white head that disappeared very quickly.

S: Very sour aromas coming off. There was the aroma of grapes, sour apple, and esters.

T: Very rich grape, caramel, and apple flavors. There is a perfectly balanced sour flavor to go along with the sweetness from the other flavors.

M: Very heavy for a sour with excellent carbonation.

O: Consecration that has been aging for 5 years is the single best sour available. Better then the 6 Cantillons, Duck Duck Gooze, Cable Car, and 8 Cascade beers I've had.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Was lucky enough to score a bottle

The cork was the loudest cork ive ever heard and damn near flew out of my hand when i opened it. The instant sour fruit smell was heavenley, It pours a dark amber color, The taste is absurdly complex so much so im sure you could find almost any flavor you looked for. This and the brabant have mad me officaly change my favorite style from ris to american wild, an absolute must have for an ba

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

6/19/11 Batch 005X1F. Finally got around to reviewing this beer after many times having it.

Pours a deep amber red. Off the of the pour the head dissipates almost immediately. The smell is that deep funk that we have all come to love with wild ales. A bit of cherry comes off the nose also. Taste is a mouth puckering sour with loads of tart cherry. The mouthfeel is light and playful, but not flat by any means. Quite and exceptional beer from an exceptional brewery.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured froma 375ml bottle into a tulip at Euclid Hall.

A: Pours a rich dark brown similar to a dark scotch or whisky with no head whatsoever. Lacing is lean if at all. Reminds me of a glass filled with a spirit.

S: Intense tart and sour notes. Currents are dominate for main flavor but oak is present as well. Touch of sweetness similar to vanilla pop up here and there but overall this is a very sour beer.

T: Clean and balanced but still quite tart and sour. Big sour and tart notes hit the palate up front with current as the fruit. Current is very dominate but the entire flavor is clean and balanced with just a touch of oak and wood.

M: Full bodied and clings to the palate, front to back, from start to finish. There is zero carbonation, the bite from this beer comes from the sour affects of yeast and barrel aging.

D: This is an amazing sour. The barrel aging in Cabernet barrels with currents truly gives you a puckering affect that's sour and tart from start to finish. This isn't over done on sour instead is incredibly balanced for how intense and big this beer is.

On Tap @ Monk's Cafe

Look: Deep crimson, slight haze, thin head with little lacing

Smell: Brett funk, dark fruit, caramel, oak, and malt

Taste: Up Front: Lemon zest, white grape, malt. Finish: brett funk, oak at the end

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a light/medium carbonation. It got even creamier as it warmed up!

Drinkability: Tart, incredibly smooth, and refreshing! Does not get more drinakble than this?

Overall Impression: This was the first Wild Ale I've had since Victory's Wid Devil - a beer I disliked so much I almost dumped it. Almost. Having said that, I was unsure how this would beer would go over with me. Upon the first sip, my skepticism was gone! This is without a doubt the most complex beer/ale I've ever tasted!!! First the aging in Cabernet Sauvignon Barrels was obvious. The brett was a perfect compliment to the complexity of this amazing ale. It's kinda like a cross between a wine and a beer, and not a cheap version of either. If this is not Nectar of the Godz, I don't know what is.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

This is one of the best beers I've had. Pours a dark reddish brown with some cloudiness. My gentle pour left a substantial head that fell away to a tan lacing in my Westy chalice.

Rich boozy alcohol with some great sour brett yeasties. Slight vinegar and a good amount of oak in the aroma.

Huge mouthwatering explosion of flavor here. This brew is holding nothing back. Wave of sweet vinous and dark fruit hit first, then the wave of sour goodness. Great barnyard phenolic funk, all sorts of great yeast esters. Wonderfully tart and crisp, like biting into a granny smith apple. Finish arrives with some rich oakiness and the alcohol lingers with its warmth. This is an A+ beer in every respect. It reminds me of a sour quad. The alcohol isn't overkill, it really adds to the experience at its current level. The level and balance of sour to sweet to spice is so perfect that I want to drink this...not just sip it. It's incredibly drinkable and the aftertaste keeps pulling me back in. Mouthfeel is completely full and satisfying.

Hell yes!

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer is awsome. It has a base beer of its Salvation and aged in Silver Oak Cab barrels. It is not over the top sour, but just perfect. It does have a cab after taste and a wine like feel. The Salvation does not seem to come through too much or at all and is about a percent higher than it.

Wonderful beer and wish it was bottled

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Dark burgundy color the head is bubbly and quickly dissipates, lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Smells of oak, red wine, barnyard, lots of funk, and berries or in this case currants.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated medium body. Feels very similar to a sparkling wine or champagne.

Taste: Very complex, this beer tastes great it gives off lots of tannins. The taste of Cabernet Sauvignon is very prevalent in this beer.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable. This beer is sour but not extremely sour, the 10% ABV had me apprehensive on how this beer would taste but this is as drinkable, and perhaps even more so than the Supplication.

Overall: The best wild ale/sour I have ever tasted.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

750ml corked and caged bottle, $21.99 from Vendome in North Hollywood. Batch#002X1.

I have been looking for this beer for a while and it has been on the top of my list of beers wanted. I found it finally, secret stash at Vendome, not even on the shelves. Very sought after, hard to find beer.

Removing the cork comes a loud pop and the bubbles gradual pour over the bottle.

A: Poured into a tulip glass, pours a warm opaque cherry red/brown with a two finger head that rapidly dissipates. Minimal lacing.

S: Cherries, vinegar, red wine, oak

T: Oak, sour vinegar, cherries, ripe red fruit and vanilla- true to the style of the beer, but very well rounded and better than any of the oak barrel aged sours I've ever had.

M: Fills the whole tongue and the entire mouth and holds there. Pleasant sour lingers for a long, long time. What a great texture; very layered, very complex.

D: Easy to drink, slight alcohol burn (in a good way), pleasant pucker.

This is far and beyond my favorite beer to date. Too bad it's so hard to find. Would love to get my hands on a case of this and age it. This one is made to be shared. Just awesome. This is the reason I drink beer.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

a: This was a dark, ruby or mahogany color, almost opaque. Pours with a long lived, fizzy, light tan colored head.

s: Beautiful, prickly fruit aromas. This manages to smell fresh and green, while at the same time smelling musty and dank. I don't have the vocabulary to be more specific than that. The 10% is nowhere to be found.

t: This is difficult to describe, so I'm not going to force it by using words that don't quite fit. This is more wine like than any gueuze and more tart than any wine. Fresh, musty, and tart all at once. Just absolutely perfect.

m: Fizzy, refreshing carbonation and lip smacking tartness.

d: Huge thanks to rallison for the chance to try this one. I think RR achieved exactly what they set out to do with this one.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured at the Russian River & Taco Bonanza into a little chalice.

Pours mahogany in color, barely opaque and no head. Smells delicious.. Slightly vinegar/ tart and sweet. taste is a blast of tart and and mild sweetness. A little vinegar, currants, and slight oak all balanced perfectly. After taste is all oak.. Some vanilla and currants very mild overall. This sour beer leaves me begging for another sip!

Bottle (2009/Batch 2)

Churchill's Pub & Grille
San Marcos, CA

(Aged 2 years)

Dark cherry red and auburn, bordering on brown, with a thin khaki head. Spotted lacing down the glass.

An incredible array of aromas that come together magnificently: sweet cherries and currants provide the primary sweetness, tart, biting, stinging sour notes leap from the glass, all smoothed out by an inviting, welcoming aroma of rich wood, earth, and vanilla.

The taste is just as spectacular as the nose. I've had this beer a number of times, and this 2-year-old version has been by far the standout. The sourness is still there, biting and stinging, balanced with the rich, earthy, and sweet flavors from the fruit, all alongside the rich yet subtle notes from the barrel. There's an underlying sticky toffee sweetness coming through I don't remember in previous versions, and, as always, there isn't the slightest hint of a 10% ABV.

Smooth, light yet full, crisp, and refreshing.

An absolutely perfect, infinitely complex, sour ale. I'm happy Josh ordered this 2-year-old bottle, as I can never keep myself from opening the ones I buy for myself.

An all-time favorite of mine.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter. Nice but brief head with a dark, mahogany body. Smell is (unsurprisingly) currants and dark fruit. The taste is really where this beer shines. Wonderful currant with an extremely tart, dry bite and a pleasant champagne carbonation. One of my favorite beers after the first sip. I'm glad I don't live in the bay area because I'd go broke drinking this.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours the color of peach tea with a thin white head that quickly disappeared. Even in the first pour out of the bottle there is some sediment.

S - The aroma is that of the ultimate wild ale, a complex mixture of sourness, dried fruits, some wine like notes and certainly some oak as well. Not too sour in the smell but certainly inviting.

T - Wow. This beer is a flavor party in my mouth. There is some sourness, some sour grape notes that have mellowed, a strong sweetness and the currants in the aftertaste. An absolutely fantastic beer that every BA should try.

M/D - Mouthfeel is sharp from the sourness and has a bit of the feel of pop rocks. The flavor is so good that it's hard to keep it in the glass. This is exceedingly drinkable and overall an amazing beer.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company