Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,572
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,641 | Reviews: 1,090
3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Enormous thanks to msubulldog25 for his generosity on this one. This was basically a gift, in that I didn't trade for it, and he simply offered it. Wotta guy.

Poured a fluffy, audibly crackly head. Color borders on black, but is more of a very, very dark brown.

Aroma is mostly wood and extremely young grapes. Has a generally vinous, weedy, unripe and exotic smell. You know you're in for something unique just by smelling it.

Flavor is exceedingly vinous and acidic. Lots of young dark fruit, mostly berry. Wood is present but subtle and supportive only. Tartness in both flavor and feel (makes the mouth pucker). Quite dry and spritzy, like champagne. Lightly pasty like an intense red wine, but that could just be the tartness talking. The feel is something to get used to, but if reviewing to style, it's wonderful.

I have to be in the mood for this sort of beer (which has a lot in common with an Oud Bruin), and it's generally not the sort of thing I'd reach for if given many other choices, but the quality and character is clearly on a high level. Very glad to have tried it.

On tap at RR

Pour was a deep ruby with bright amber orange. Little to no head.

Lots of currants up front. Nice sourness really blends well with the currants. Light oak and dark grape really blend well. There was. A strong vanilla presence that really irked me. I have had consecration many times, every batch, and this is the first time I have tasted this. Not sure if it is a tap thing. I was not digging it.

Lots of carbonation with a very dry feeling.

This was my first time having this on tap. Id hate to score this low if it is a one off because it destroys from the bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Red and fizzy. This was sour, like a beer brewed with warhead candy. The taste crosses the line of tart to sour, its much like a white wine or champagne. It was hard to pick out much of the flavor over the sourness, but it was certainly different and enjoyable. I would love to drink this again, but not tonight. The flavor is intense, and while fun, does not promote drinking much of it.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a bottle, Batch 006.

A: Absolutely no head when poured from the bottle. You can see a very small amount of bubbles collected at the bottom of the glass, but other then that, no carbonation really looking at it. The color is a deep mahogany red.

S: I don't get as much of the currants as some have described. I'm getting more of a balsamic sour funk with deep fruit notes. As it warms you also definitely get the wine barrels it was aged in. Very dry funk to the nose.

T: For 10% this beer is definitely very drinkable. However the taste doesn't quite wow me. I had a Supplication earlier in the year and despite this beer's amazing description, I found Supplication to be more complex in the flavor. But that's just me. The taste is a really nice tart sour up front, but it finishes with a fruity sweet character. Figs, cherries, and some musty wine notes are all present.

M: Very lightly carbonated and tart on the back of the palate.

O: Overall I enjoyed this beer, but it didn't wow me the way I thought it would. Still, for an American Wild Red Sour Ale I found it to be quite pleasant. I will have to branch out and try the other wild ales Russian River makes because both Supplication and Consecration were very unique and interesting beers.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

poured from a not full liter growler into a duvel tulip.

I got this ale, what, 4 days ago. I was a little disappointed that the tender left about an inch of air, but fortunate enough to get a growler of this delicious liquid (how do you spell beverege?).

Pours a deep purplish red. I poured from a height to revitalize some carbonation, though the ceramic plug Did give a nice pop. The off white foam disappeared almost immediately.

Smells like wine vinegar, slight dill, maybe a tinge of cranberry or some tart red berry.

The mouthfeel is soft across the palate and coats the lips like a soft red wine. Theres the dill again and sourness that gives way to more of the cranberry/currant tones. Theres a bit of sugar that I can actually feel light up endorfins, but the ale finishes somewhat dry. Makes the saliva glands leak with the sourness.

3.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into a tulip. Nice clear ruby dark red color. A small off white head is here. Not much lacing at all.

Nice aroma of plum. There is just a bit of sweetness to balance out the tart aroma.

The flavor mimics the aroma almost exactly. There sour flavor is nicely balanced here, allowing for a nice malt flavor to shine through. The complexity of the plum flavors are nicely accompanied by a bit of spiciness.

The body is light to medium, and the carbonation is softer than a lot of other wild ales (because of the relatively high ABV). This is very good, but not one of my favorites from Russian River. Still, this gives a unique flavor that one can't find elsewhere. I still look forward to trying this one again (hopefully soon).

3.94/5  rDev -12.4%

batch 006x2E

A: deep brown, almost no head

S: red wine, grapes, some funk saying "hello" in the background

T: vinegary sour in tandem with lemon-peel like bitterness. sourness is not overwhelming. some alcoholic warmth in throat. lingering sweetness from alcohol

M: dry, but flavors (alcohol sweetness) lingers on your tongue for a while.

O: great sipper. I notice alcohol strength in my throat, but does not feel like it in my mouth due to its dryness. This beer is not sessionable.

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Batch 005x2E poured into a chimay chalice.

Nice pop when the cork is released. Pour is quite lively, sort of the opposite of a big thick stout. Absolutely no head at all on this. A bit disconcerting but seems like it's not unusual. Carbonation is soda pop high. Color also is light brown soda. Quite light, almost orange when held to light. Fairly clear, the sediment has settled nicely at the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma has a nice mix of sour and sweet. Green apple cider, candy sweet tarts (yes, my vocabulary for describing this style is quite limited).

Very dry tart flavor. Not sour as such. Cider comes to mind again. Quite nice but not what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is very light and makes this easily drinkable. And the abv is completely hidden almost to the point that I would BS. Not in any way does this present like a 10% beer.

A bit disappointing and one dimensional after Supplication. Not sure if there is a recommended drinking temp for this style but a bit more sour kick comes through as it warms and it gets more of an overall presence which helps define the beer. Would like to try another bottle some day as this ones now gone. Enjoyable but didnt leave much of an impression.

poured into a tulip

A.

A dark maroon color, when held up to the light you get the reds to come out. Its relatively clear and a head that is pretty much non existent.

S.

Funky sour smell with some wine characteristics. Musty smell, a little oak, and some dark fruit like cherries coming out. (the currants I'd imagine). I've been on a lambic kick lately and I love the aroma of this as it similar, yet different.

T.

A sour dominant beer. The first taste you get is sourness and it lingers for quite awhile. The other flavors are hard to pickup because of the sourness, but I get a little fruity red wine in there with a dry finish.

M.

light bodied. Carbonation is there (but doesnt look like it from the appearance) You get the acidic feeling on the tongue and a nice dry finish.

D.

A little low in this category because of cost, availability, ABV, and taste. I think the taste is good, but not so good that I have to try another.

3.92/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance is a great ruby red color, almost mahogany. Bit worried about the lack of head though, almost like the secondary fermentation in the bottle didn't happen. No head, no pop when cork came out of the bottle.

Smell is malt that gives way to sourness, bit of funk. Dark fruits.

Taste is sourness all over, tart fruit, bit of vinegar. Pretty heavy malts mixed in, but overpowered by the sour and fruits. Touch of vanilla and oak.

Mouthfeel is full and thick, not helped by the lack of carbonation.

Drinkability is great for such a big beer, and even despite the carbonation.

I feel bad because my only experience with this beer is with lack of carbonation, so I can't tell if it's the beer or just the bottle.

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%

Batch 013113 printed on the bottle. I must say, I'm rather excited about this beer, as it is the first RR brew I am having, and have heard nothing but good things about them. I will try to not let that influence my rating.

I poured slowly per the bottle's instructions. I receive a half finger of dull tan colored head that dissipates almost as soon as I'm done pouring. This leaves no froth on top, but a constant flow of bubbles is noticed on the surface. No lace.

It smells of red wine, cherries and raspberries.

The taste is red wine and raspberries. You get a little funk as well, almost like a light dank woodiness. The alcohol is well disguised.

This is rather light bodied. It goes down quickly and leaves a film on your tongue.

Thanks peacebone116!

Batch 004x1

A: Amber/Mahogany, bubbly. The etched "D" at the bottom of my Duvel tulip is having a field day. Never seen this thing work so hard. A little tornado in my glass. A thin white cap and a thick ring remains.

S: Red wine vinegar, lactic sour goodness, tinge of alcohol. Good, not terribly complex.

T: Wow, lots of tannins. Really getting the Cabernet barrel and grapes. Mouth puckering sourness and vinegar once again. Not as lively as Supplication; fittingly "darker" all around and Im not just referring to appearance. 10% huh? I cant taste it.

M/D: Prickly, medium bodied. I can feel the 10%, but I cant taste it, that must count for something. A top sour, just not as "vibrant" as some others I have had.

3.91/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This pours a dark brown color with a hint of ruby at the edges. No carbonation apparent from no head - uh oh.

Smell: Black currants, vinegar, with a nice oak barrel character. An obvious tart character accompanies a light raisin aroma.

Taste: Sweet balsamic vinegar, black currants, and a rich oaky bite. Some dark fruit flavor complement. The finish is quite tart.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied for what I expect from a sour. Tart and puckering, with a little bit of residue on the tongue. Pretty flat, maybe I got a leaky bottle?

Drinkability: Something I definitely enjoy, and a change of pace from my normal hoppy beer. Sour and enjoyable.

3.9/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a Tulip

A: A dark brown with little clarity (same color as the bottle its sold in). There is a half inch ring of head with around the outer ring of my glass and some whispy trails of bubbles through the middle. The Duvel D at the bottom of my glass is creating a swirl of carbonation in the middle that makes the bubbles look like clouds of a hurricane.

S: Acidic sour, some cherry "tang", as well as some earthy oak notes.

D: Sour vinegar with a hint of tartness, slight earthy flavor on the finish. Like the Cabernet barrels the beer is aged in it has a similar finish, earthy and puckering. Sour not dry.

M: Slick, lightly carbonated mouth.

D: I enjoyed this beer and the fact that it really resembled a wine, minus the carbonation. I would gladly have another but for the ABV which at 10 is very high. While I don't notice the alcohol presence in the taste or scent I am sure I will feel it after my first glass.

3.9/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Millerbuffoon for this 375mL brown glass cork and caged number. Batch 004X3.

Pours a ruddy, reddish brown, mostly clear with very thin head. Nose smells sour right off the bar (yes, I know sour is not a smell). Wine barrels and red wine vinegar, plus raisins soaking in vodka come to mind, a hint of smooth leather and a suggestion of cranberry.

Palate is vinegar sour right off the bat. Flavors of leather, dried cranberry, used wine barrel, earthen clay and plum mix together. Good complexity, quite sour, long finish, but rather still (in terms of carbonation).

Not my favorite RR sour. Still love me that Temptation. I will say that the AVB is really well hidden... This is FFO Flemish reds.

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Looks like blackberry soda.

S - Can definitely sense the currants and Cab barrels. Little worried it wont have a strong ale taste though.

T - Yeah, in my honest opinion it's a little lacking in the beer/ale flavor. It tastes like a dry soda. It's not bad, very drinkable, but I would love to try a stout aged in Cab barrels. I'm not a huge sour advocate, but if that is your thing, try this! You will like.

M - Very carbonated. Adds to the soda feel. No head. Reminds me of a Lindemans.

O - Obviously a very high quality offering but not for everyone. If you are into Lindemans or sours this is a must try.

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%

had this beer on friday night. Sat down with several freind and tried all the RR sours! I am new to sours and willing to give them a chance. Why not start with some of the best?

reviewed from notes.

Appearance: light brown bodied beer with redish highlights. White whispy head with lots of small bubbles.

Smell: Cranberries, oak and wine.

Taste: Cranberries and currant. Tannins and oak. Moderate sour taste of vinegar takes over the taste and finish of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Prickly and clean mouthfeel.

Overall: Interesting sour beer. Not my favorite sour we had that night, but its decent!

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%

375ml, batch 004x2. Poured into an over sized wine goblet. Received as a super generous extra from Plenum, thanks a ton man!

A - Pours a dark brown with red tint. Very clear and bubbly. No real head to speak of, but there's some nice action going on around the edges of the glass.

S - Tons of currants, cherries, and oak. The finish is very musky and funky.

T - Extremely sour. This is probably the most sour beer I've ever had, even more so than the Belgian lambics and guezes I've tried. Cherries and oak. The sourness masks a lot of the fruit flavors, but the brett funk is on full display. Delicious.

O - This was a very good beer and I'm glad I got to try this. Its not on par with the belgian sours, but this is a very impressive american wild. It was my first RR'ion beer and from what I read this is the bottom of the tier. Can't wait to try some of the other ones.

3.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Clear light caramel red color. Color made me think of a light bourbon. Very light head that dissipates quickly. Lots of soda like carbonation.

Very sour fruity aroma. Taste is a tangy, fruity and sour, with oak undertones. Can definitley taste the currants. Nice light flavors are still able to slip through the sour flavors.

Nice light body. Easy to drink with a dry red wine like finish.

3.87/5  rDev -14%

On tap at Capone's. Pours dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of sweettart candies, oaky notes, and lots of sweet notes. Flavor is very tart and acidic with Brett, light pale malts, a touch of yogurt, and wine-like notes (red grapes). Very flavorful but the palate is a bit wearing over time. Not my favorite type of sour but this was quite good.
9/4/8/3/15 (3.9/5)

3.86/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle batch 004x02 poured into Oerbier tulip. A hazy dried blood redish brown with an off white fizzy head that disappears quickly. Not an attractive beer. Smell is sour fruit, cherry pits, sugary sour candy, a hint of wine oakiness and funk. Taste is not nearly as complex as the smell - sour grapes at first, followed by a hint of alcohol and some wet oak. Mouthfeel is puckering at first, light body with prickly carbonation and a dry finish. Pretty drinkable, though not the best batch of consecration I have had.

3.86/5  rDev -14.2%

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 006.

Appearance - Pours with a hint of a brown head that's gone in a flash. Nothing after that. Looks flat as hell. The body is a dark ruby red. Looks like a glass of cabernet.

Smell - Acidic and lactic sour aromas. Oak. Strong red wine presence. Distinctly cabernet, too. I'm amazed how well the wine comes through. Sour fruits round out the flavor. Cherries and I suppose currants, but hell if I've ever actually smelled currants.

Taste - Like the flavor, but with a more pronounced acidity. Sour at first. Not puckering, but it's sustained throughout the drink. Lots of sour fruits followed by a ton of cabernet. The finish of the beer is dry, but the wine character overwhelms the dryness leaving it with a vinous character in the end.

Mouthfeel - It's not a light sour by any means. In fact it gets kinda tough to drink after a while. Medium-low carbonation doesn't help. It feels like I'm drinking a sour glass of wine more than a beer.

Overall - Interesting flavors, but a huge sour ale that gets sluggish and repetitive as I drink it. Tasty, but not something I could drink all the time.

3.86/5  rDev -14.2%

On tap into a Chimay goblet at the Bier Stein in Eugene.

Beautiful dark red color, quite similar to the bottle. No head whatsoever. Very unique looking beer.

Smell is black cherry a little booze, overall surprisingly subtle, and I would have expected a little more funk.

Taste is much like the smell, black cherry with great smooth sourness up front. Hardly any funk present. Finishes with complex sourness and a subtle aftertaste.

Surprisingly fizzy, the texture that you would expect from a 10% beer. You can smell the alcohol, but it is completely masked in the flavor.

I have yet to fully enjoy a sour experience, so maybe its just not my thing.

Consecration 09

Hello, pretty little glass... You look dangerous.

Appearance> dark red brown, no head, no bubbles, no lacing

Smell>Sour cherry. Yeasty. Wow. Not my cuppa, but pretty fab for those who like this sort of thing.

Taste> The tart prune "tannins," if you will, strike suddenly... then the sour mash sensation warms up in the hang leaving the imbiber's palette with pleasant, plummy notes in the hang.

Mouf>thin and easy

Drinkability> Wow. That was great and a nice switchup from my usuals at the Toronado, but I couldn't have more than one... more than two would definitely be bad on a weekday.

3.85/5  rDev -14.4%

Russian River- Consecration

A- Deep plum reddish purple with a good foamy head.
S- Sweet red grapes, plums, sour mix and scoops of sugar.
T- Sour red grapes, black currant, plums, and a sour citrus.
M- Very sour and dry. Sweet sugary fruit finish.

Overall- good sour dry feel with a nice black currant flavor. 1 or 2 would be good at dessert.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company