Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,381
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -12%

Deep red brown, it has a small pale tan head, fizzy, soon thinning to a ring.

Aroma is rich fruity sour fruits, vinegary turned plums, caramelised prunes, wet earth, wet dark bread. It is excellent.

Taste is good but not as exciting as the aroma. It has tart-sour fruits and wood up front, light winy sweetness. It is very drinkable, has a good, lively feel. However, it is rather one-dimensional and not interesting, lacking in complexity or depth of character and thus gets somewhat boring rather quickly.

Offa, May 11, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Millerbuffoon for this 375mL brown glass cork and caged number. Batch 004X3.

Pours a ruddy, reddish brown, mostly clear with very thin head. Nose smells sour right off the bar (yes, I know sour is not a smell). Wine barrels and red wine vinegar, plus raisins soaking in vodka come to mind, a hint of smooth leather and a suggestion of cranberry.

Palate is vinegar sour right off the bat. Flavors of leather, dried cranberry, used wine barrel, earthen clay and plum mix together. Good complexity, quite sour, long finish, but rather still (in terms of carbonation).

Not my favorite RR sour. Still love me that Temptation. I will say that the AVB is really well hidden... This is FFO Flemish reds.

SFLpunk, Aug 11, 2011
3.94/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Received as an extra in a trade. Recent batch (July). Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a slightly hazy ruby garnet hue with a fizzy one finger head that fades nearly immediately. Hard swirls produce fleeting wisps.

S - Currants, vinegar, wine barrels, light funk, faint alcohol. Quite pleasant. Not too sour though.

T - Taste is considerably more sour than the nose. Powered smarties, currants, cherries, light leather. Oak tanins, a faint chocolate. The fruits almost come across as syrupy. The flavour is there, but...I just don't like it. I like black currants too so I'm kind of confused as to why I'm not digging the taste.

M - Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Nice and crisp, alcohol hidden quite nicely.

O - Overall, I'm not sure if its the syrup like flavour aspects of this or what but I'm just not digging it. I want to like it, hell, I want to love it. Unfortunately though, I do not.

rudzud, Dec 10, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Batch 005x2E poured into a chimay chalice.

Nice pop when the cork is released. Pour is quite lively, sort of the opposite of a big thick stout. Absolutely no head at all on this. A bit disconcerting but seems like it's not unusual. Carbonation is soda pop high. Color also is light brown soda. Quite light, almost orange when held to light. Fairly clear, the sediment has settled nicely at the bottom of the bottle.

Aroma has a nice mix of sour and sweet. Green apple cider, candy sweet tarts (yes, my vocabulary for describing this style is quite limited).

Very dry tart flavor. Not sour as such. Cider comes to mind again. Quite nice but not what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is very light and makes this easily drinkable. And the abv is completely hidden almost to the point that I would BS. Not in any way does this present like a 10% beer.

A bit disappointing and one dimensional after Supplication. Not sure if there is a recommended drinking temp for this style but a bit more sour kick comes through as it warms and it gets more of an overall presence which helps define the beer. Would like to try another bottle some day as this ones now gone. Enjoyable but didnt leave much of an impression.

joecast, May 13, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Batch 013113 printed on the bottle. I must say, I'm rather excited about this beer, as it is the first RR brew I am having, and have heard nothing but good things about them. I will try to not let that influence my rating.

I poured slowly per the bottle's instructions. I receive a half finger of dull tan colored head that dissipates almost as soon as I'm done pouring. This leaves no froth on top, but a constant flow of bubbles is noticed on the surface. No lace.

It smells of red wine, cherries and raspberries.

The taste is red wine and raspberries. You get a little funk as well, almost like a light dank woodiness. The alcohol is well disguised.

This is rather light bodied. It goes down quickly and leaves a film on your tongue.

CFHMagnet, Jul 26, 2013

Batch 006

A: Pours a reddish/chestnut brown with mahogany highlights. Very thin head that dissipates quickly. Thin lacing and low carbonation.

N: Apple juice, red grapes, maybe blackberries, oak, vanilla and a hint of Brett. You can also smell the Cabernet Sauvignon aromas left over from the barrel aging.

T: Very big tartness upfront which makes it hard to identify what I'm tasting. Possibly a mix between vinegar, red wine and lactic acid. This is followed by a sharp acidic fruitiness of apple cider, red grapes/wine and what could only be the Currants. There is also some raspberry going on. Wood/barrel/saw dust becomes apparent in the finish along with some tobacco that seems to balance everything out in the end.

M: Light-medium bodied, tart, sour, clean and very dry.

O: Complex, but I feel my sour taste buds just haven't developed as of yet. Comes off a little bit harsh and is focused more on red wine flavors. I do enjoy some of the flavors though especially the woodiness and the tobacco in the finish. The nose smells absolutely phenomenal. I will respect it for what it is.

justintcoons, Sep 16, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

bomber, corked and caged, into a snifter. Split with airohead2001, many thanks buddy!

A: Medium brown with ruby red. one finger off white head that fades supper fast into nothingness. No lacing.

S: There's a lot of sweet fruit smells in this beer. It is intense smelling, pleasant, and complex. There's tart cherry smell, a little cinnamon, some alcohol at the finish. To me this smells a lot like Wisconsin Belgian Red actually, but with a little bit more funk perhaps. I don't get much oak for this being oak aged.

T: Unfortunately this beer smells much better than it tastes. It's pretty one-dimensional in terms of the sweet fruits. Also, I feel that the high level of carbonation masks the flavors

M: This beer has a very high level of carbonation and is definitely on the thin side. Both of which are appropriate for the style, but also large in part define the beer. Nice aftertaste.

D: For a 10% ABV beer, the ABV is undetectable and the beer goes down easy. The drinkability is somewhat limited by the high carbonation in my opinion, as I feel that if I drank this too fast or in too high of quantity I would get the hiccoughs or an upset stomach. Overall, an interesting beer though, that I am glad I got the opportunity to try. If I was blind folded though, you'd be hard pressed to convince me this wasn't champagne.

glazeman, Oct 16, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance is a great ruby red color, almost mahogany. Bit worried about the lack of head though, almost like the secondary fermentation in the bottle didn't happen. No head, no pop when cork came out of the bottle.

Smell is malt that gives way to sourness, bit of funk. Dark fruits.

Taste is sourness all over, tart fruit, bit of vinegar. Pretty heavy malts mixed in, but overpowered by the sour and fruits. Touch of vanilla and oak.

Mouthfeel is full and thick, not helped by the lack of carbonation.

Drinkability is great for such a big beer, and even despite the carbonation.

I feel bad because my only experience with this beer is with lack of carbonation, so I can't tell if it's the beer or just the bottle.

gtn80, Nov 24, 2010

Thanks peacebone116!

Batch 004x1

A: Amber/Mahogany, bubbly. The etched "D" at the bottom of my Duvel tulip is having a field day. Never seen this thing work so hard. A little tornado in my glass. A thin white cap and a thick ring remains.

S: Red wine vinegar, lactic sour goodness, tinge of alcohol. Good, not terribly complex.

T: Wow, lots of tannins. Really getting the Cabernet barrel and grapes. Mouth puckering sourness and vinegar once again. Not as lively as Supplication; fittingly "darker" all around and Im not just referring to appearance. 10% huh? I cant taste it.

M/D: Prickly, medium bodied. I can feel the 10%, but I cant taste it, that must count for something. A top sour, just not as "vibrant" as some others I have had.

zoolzoo, Aug 03, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: This pours a dark brown color with a hint of ruby at the edges. No carbonation apparent from no head - uh oh.

Smell: Black currants, vinegar, with a nice oak barrel character. An obvious tart character accompanies a light raisin aroma.

Taste: Sweet balsamic vinegar, black currants, and a rich oaky bite. Some dark fruit flavor complement. The finish is quite tart.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied for what I expect from a sour. Tart and puckering, with a little bit of residue on the tongue. Pretty flat, maybe I got a leaky bottle?

Drinkability: Something I definitely enjoy, and a change of pace from my normal hoppy beer. Sour and enjoyable.

KickInTheChalice, Feb 22, 2011

On tap at RR

Pour was a deep ruby with bright amber orange. Little to no head.

Lots of currants up front. Nice sourness really blends well with the currants. Light oak and dark grape really blend well. There was. A strong vanilla presence that really irked me. I have had consecration many times, every batch, and this is the first time I have tasted this. Not sure if it is a tap thing. I was not digging it.

Lots of carbonation with a very dry feeling.

This was my first time having this on tap. Id hate to score this low if it is a one off because it destroys from the bottle.

hooliganlife, Aug 17, 2010

Poured into a Tulip

A: A dark brown with little clarity (same color as the bottle its sold in). There is a half inch ring of head with around the outer ring of my glass and some whispy trails of bubbles through the middle. The Duvel D at the bottom of my glass is creating a swirl of carbonation in the middle that makes the bubbles look like clouds of a hurricane.

S: Acidic sour, some cherry "tang", as well as some earthy oak notes.

D: Sour vinegar with a hint of tartness, slight earthy flavor on the finish. Like the Cabernet barrels the beer is aged in it has a similar finish, earthy and puckering. Sour not dry.

M: Slick, lightly carbonated mouth.

D: I enjoyed this beer and the fact that it really resembled a wine, minus the carbonation. I would gladly have another but for the ABV which at 10 is very high. While I don't notice the alcohol presence in the taste or scent I am sure I will feel it after my first glass.

SiepJones, Oct 25, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

had this beer on friday night. Sat down with several freind and tried all the RR sours! I am new to sours and willing to give them a chance. Why not start with some of the best?

reviewed from notes.

Appearance: light brown bodied beer with redish highlights. White whispy head with lots of small bubbles.

Smell: Cranberries, oak and wine.

Taste: Cranberries and currant. Tannins and oak. Moderate sour taste of vinegar takes over the taste and finish of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Prickly and clean mouthfeel.

Overall: Interesting sour beer. Not my favorite sour we had that night, but its decent!

4DAloveofSTOUT, Aug 15, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

375ml, batch 004x2. Poured into an over sized wine goblet. Received as a super generous extra from Plenum, thanks a ton man!

A - Pours a dark brown with red tint. Very clear and bubbly. No real head to speak of, but there's some nice action going on around the edges of the glass.

S - Tons of currants, cherries, and oak. The finish is very musky and funky.

T - Extremely sour. This is probably the most sour beer I've ever had, even more so than the Belgian lambics and guezes I've tried. Cherries and oak. The sourness masks a lot of the fruit flavors, but the brett funk is on full display. Delicious.

O - This was a very good beer and I'm glad I got to try this. Its not on par with the belgian sours, but this is a very impressive american wild. It was my first RR'ion beer and from what I read this is the bottom of the tier. Can't wait to try some of the other ones.

davey101, Jun 30, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

Clear light caramel red color. Color made me think of a light bourbon. Very light head that dissipates quickly. Lots of soda like carbonation.

Very sour fruity aroma. Taste is a tangy, fruity and sour, with oak undertones. Can definitley taste the currants. Nice light flavors are still able to slip through the sour flavors.

Nice light body. Easy to drink with a dry red wine like finish.

IronLover, Jun 02, 2010

poured into a tulip

A.

A dark maroon color, when held up to the light you get the reds to come out. Its relatively clear and a head that is pretty much non existent.

S.

Funky sour smell with some wine characteristics. Musty smell, a little oak, and some dark fruit like cherries coming out. (the currants I'd imagine). I've been on a lambic kick lately and I love the aroma of this as it similar, yet different.

T.

A sour dominant beer. The first taste you get is sourness and it lingers for quite awhile. The other flavors are hard to pickup because of the sourness, but I get a little fruity red wine in there with a dry finish.

M.

light bodied. Carbonation is there (but doesnt look like it from the appearance) You get the acidic feeling on the tongue and a nice dry finish.

D.

A little low in this category because of cost, availability, ABV, and taste. I think the taste is good, but not so good that I have to try another.

cetherid, Jan 05, 2011

udubdawg, Sep 19, 2014

Russian River- Consecration

A- Deep plum reddish purple with a good foamy head.
S- Sweet red grapes, plums, sour mix and scoops of sugar.
T- Sour red grapes, black currant, plums, and a sour citrus.
M- Very sour and dry. Sweet sugary fruit finish.

Overall- good sour dry feel with a nice black currant flavor. 1 or 2 would be good at dessert.

NJpadreFan, Mar 15, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 006.

Appearance - Pours with a hint of a brown head that's gone in a flash. Nothing after that. Looks flat as hell. The body is a dark ruby red. Looks like a glass of cabernet.

Smell - Acidic and lactic sour aromas. Oak. Strong red wine presence. Distinctly cabernet, too. I'm amazed how well the wine comes through. Sour fruits round out the flavor. Cherries and I suppose currants, but hell if I've ever actually smelled currants.

Taste - Like the flavor, but with a more pronounced acidity. Sour at first. Not puckering, but it's sustained throughout the drink. Lots of sour fruits followed by a ton of cabernet. The finish of the beer is dry, but the wine character overwhelms the dryness leaving it with a vinous character in the end.

Mouthfeel - It's not a light sour by any means. In fact it gets kinda tough to drink after a while. Medium-low carbonation doesn't help. It feels like I'm drinking a sour glass of wine more than a beer.

Overall - Interesting flavors, but a huge sour ale that gets sluggish and repetitive as I drink it. Tasty, but not something I could drink all the time.

Alieniloquium, Apr 09, 2012
3.88/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap into a Chimay goblet at the Bier Stein in Eugene.

Beautiful dark red color, quite similar to the bottle. No head whatsoever. Very unique looking beer.

Smell is black cherry a little booze, overall surprisingly subtle, and I would have expected a little more funk.

Taste is much like the smell, black cherry with great smooth sourness up front. Hardly any funk present. Finishes with complex sourness and a subtle aftertaste.

Surprisingly fizzy, the texture that you would expect from a 10% beer. You can smell the alcohol, but it is completely masked in the flavor.

I have yet to fully enjoy a sour experience, so maybe its just not my thing.

YOOJ, Feb 15, 2010
3.86/5  rDev -14%

A - Looks like blackberry soda.

S - Can definitely sense the currants and Cab barrels. Little worried it wont have a strong ale taste though.

T - Yeah, in my honest opinion it's a little lacking in the beer/ale flavor. It tastes like a dry soda. It's not bad, very drinkable, but I would love to try a stout aged in Cab barrels. I'm not a huge sour advocate, but if that is your thing, try this! You will like.

M - Very carbonated. Adds to the soda feel. No head. Reminds me of a Lindemans.

O - Obviously a very high quality offering but not for everyone. If you are into Lindemans or sours this is a must try.

samtrillo, Mar 10, 2014
3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

After an unreasonably arduous brewday, I need something good to relax me and the funk was calling me. Poured into a tulip. Batch 003x4.

Cork pull gave a spirited pop, but then the beer inside got pissy and decided to spill out a bit over the top. Not really overcarbonated, but given the day I just had, I'm not surprised that this beer was out to get me. Anyway...

4.0 A: Dark mahogany color and hazy. Looks like I might have gotten the yeast in an uproar. Two fingers of fizzy off white head that acts and falls like the head on a can of Coke.

4.0 S: Nose is pleasant, but pretty simplistic for a sour. On the acid front, the only thing that comes through with any power is acetic acid, which could be amplified by the currants. Latic acid is soft if it is even there at all. I can smell the barrel, but wouldn't have any idea that it was Savignon if I didn't read the label. Black currant and cherry fruitiness underlying.

4.0 T: Quite a lot more going on in the taste than in the nose. The first thing that struck me was a tongue paralyzing astringency, but this dies down upon additional sips. Very musky as well. The Cabernet makes an big appearance in the taste and actually this tastes more like a soured wine than a soured beer. Though there is a touch of vinegary-ness, there is a lot more lactic acid, though surprisingly not too tart. Tannins with currant and raisin fruitiness. Though I appreciate complexity, the big bold flavors are each too aggressive on their own and fail to mesh harmoniously.

3.5 M: Lighter medium. Good moderate amount of fizzy carbonation. Astrigency on finish that lingers. Alcohol is noticeable, but seems more like 7% than 10%.

3.5 D: Not bad, but seems like there are too many flavors competing without any direction.

DavoleBomb, May 24, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to BZero007 for sending me this in an epic exchange of Top 100 brews. I hope he enjoyed his, now I'm going to tie into mine!

Batch #2. Pours thick, dark, cloudy red with a bubbly head that falls instantly to the barest of rings. Smells is all sour, funky cherry (or is that currants?).

Taste is like a sour slap upside the head. The sour funk runs up into my nasal passages & clears up the mild cold that started, as well as aiding my arthritis & cataracts. Yeesh! Sour dark fruits, funk, with a dry, tart finish contributed by the wood that sears the top of my mouth & back of my throat.

I think dry & tart covers the mouthfeel, with high carbonation. I can hear it bubbling. Drinkability is high/low. Low because I couldn't have more than half the bomber, high because it's unique & soothing on the tongue. As I move on even a half-bomber is a lot; eight ounces would have sufficed.

Very good beer. Can't say that I'm as enamored of it as the general BA population, but I understand the appeal. A wonderful once-in-a-while treat.

maximum12, Jul 22, 2009

Consecration 09

Hello, pretty little glass... You look dangerous.

Appearance> dark red brown, no head, no bubbles, no lacing

Smell>Sour cherry. Yeasty. Wow. Not my cuppa, but pretty fab for those who like this sort of thing.

Taste> The tart prune "tannins," if you will, strike suddenly... then the sour mash sensation warms up in the hang leaving the imbiber's palette with pleasant, plummy notes in the hang.

Mouf>thin and easy

Drinkability> Wow. That was great and a nice switchup from my usuals at the Toronado, but I couldn't have more than one... more than two would definitely be bad on a weekday.

1759Girl, May 10, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

On tap at Capone's. Pours dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of sweettart candies, oaky notes, and lots of sweet notes. Flavor is very tart and acidic with Brett, light pale malts, a touch of yogurt, and wine-like notes (red grapes). Very flavorful but the palate is a bit wearing over time. Not my favorite type of sour but this was quite good.
9/4/8/3/15 (3.9/5)