Consecration | Russian River Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,117 | Ratings: 5,021
4.17/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Too much Cabernet. Barrel character DEF comes out strong. Maybe time will do justice. But, no heat:l Very cab forward sour worthy of the claim. not my kind of sour though. Regardless, def worth the try. Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pours out a clear deep mahogany color with blood red hues. Head is off-white and has little retention. No lacing on this one. Beautiful color though.

S - Sour funkiness hits your upfront comprised of sour grape and green apple. Also noticeable are oak and vinegar.

T - Lots of sour dark fruits. Lots of vinegar. Very red wine like. The oak come through very nicely with a touch of funk in the finish that sorta lingers for a bit.

M - Medium bodied and very bubbly. Goes perfect with everything thats going on. Like a red wine spritzer.

O - Completely awesome. I love how the wine barrel aging really played a part.

Batch 004X4 graciously shared by Deuane

A - Dark brown body with some ruby highlights...it's alive...the carbonation is crazy in this one...some sediment is suspended and floating around...the head was small and white and didn't stick around for long...with a swirl it comes back but vanishes just as quickly...all that's left is a small bead around the top

S - You can smell that this one is going to be tart...it's very fruity with tart cherries, grapes, raisins, and currants...the grapes bring out a very pronounced winey characteristics...not many woody aromas

T - There's the tartness I was waiting for...full on tart and sourness that makes you pucker up nicely...the currants really blend in nicely (I actually tried a dried currant along side the beer because I did not know what they tasted like)...again the tartness comes back...the finish is wine like and flavored with currants

M - Medium bodied...tart with dark fruits (currants, grapes)...nice carbonation

D - I was happy to finally try a beer from Russian River...and I'm starting to get used to trying wild ales...the tartness level in this one was apparent from the first sniff and very apparent as you swallow...I liked trying a dried currant along side because it really helped me pinpoint the currant flavor in the beer...again, a big thanks to Deuane for sharing this one with me

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%

I had this on tap at Capone's during the Sunday morning event that occurred on March 29th 2008.

The color was purplish brown in color with a copper hue when held up to the light. The liquid was all but crystal clear. The head was a thin and tan. What head was present hung around for most the time I spent consuming my Pliny the Younger. When it finally did recede it left a very thin tan collar. After each sip a few tight tan bubbles would cling randomly to the side of the glass.

Full Disclosure Note: Before proceeding with the rest of my review I must come clean and state that this is my first sour beer review. Not a bad one to start with, I guess.

The initial aroma was a huge hit of sour. My first impression of this aroma was red wine vinegar. After taking several more deep breaths over the liquid, I began to become accustomed to the sour notes and began to pick up several more complexities in the aroma. Grapes and sour cherries came through next. A musty, funkiness characteristic came through on the finish.

I must admit, as with the nose, I did not appreciate my initial taste. Very strong acidic nature, more like balsamic vinegar that the red wine vinegar from the nose. I said to those at the table with me, that this would go well with some olive oil and garlic and would make a nice salad dressing (quite honestly, this may be true, albeit it a waste). After growing accustomed to the sourness, as with the nose, I become to pick out quite a bit more complexity. There were some woodsy, oaky notes, as well as the grapes and sour cherries from the nose. The funkiness is prevalent middle to end. There is no hops to be found here. The finish is sour and dry.

This beverage has a medium body and a light but tingly effervescence for carbonation. Overall, it is very dry and astringent. The finish leaves the pallet dry and jowls drawn in from the astringency.

I would have to say that sour beers are an acquired taste and I have not yet fully acquired it. This was drinkable, I suppose. If it wasn't kicked in 70 minutes, I might have ordered another to assist my palate in the acquisition.

Thanks for Reading

Drank on 04/29/10
Poured from 750ml bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - The beer pour a dark red. Looks similar to a red wine. Has very minimal white head that faded away rather quickly. Virtually no lacing while drinking.

S - The smell is very interesting with lots of unique flavor profiles. I can smell the wine barrels that it was aged in. It has hints of oak and a stronger alcohol as well such and bourbon maybe. It has a very tart smell to it as well with dark sweet fruits in the mix.

T - I had one half glass with dinner and enjoyed it but it didn't seem that sour/tart to me from what I had read about this beer, but when I poured myself a full glass later in the evening the second glass seemed much more tart/sour. I can definitely taste the red wine from the barrel aging along with some oak. Has sweet fruit tastes to it as well. I can't distinguish the individual fruits though. I can also taste the current in the beer. The beer is very tart and dry on the back half. It is quite tasty but is definitely a sipping beer.

M - Mouthfeel is medium to high amounts of carbonation with a lighter body to the beer. Good for the style but you can't take very large sips of it.

D - This beer hides its ABV well, but is not something that I can drink a lot of in a sitting. Because it is so tart it much be sipped and savored so I don't think I would have more than a glass or two at a time. Its refreshing for the first glass but after that the ABV starts to hit you. Good beer overall and for the style.

Thank you Victor!

A: Poured a reddish-brown hue (similar to prune juice) with a big white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S: Currents, cherry and perhaps grapes.

T: Tart right off the bat, which is then slowly balanced out by the cheery/raspberry like flavor profile. Very sugary in the sense, almost like a sour sweet tart, that could also be best compared to a good champage or carbonated wine.

M: A nice medium-body beer that is nicely carbonated.

D: One of the best sours I've had the chance to try, with the alcohol nearly invisible.

Overall: A great beer! The sour and fruity notes are very nicely balanced, and the smell was impressive as well. I can't wait to cellar one of these and try it again. A must try. Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to GRG1313 for the opportunity. Batch 004X2 served in my CL tulip at 53 degrees. Pours a translucent reddish-brown with a loose, quarter inch off-white head that quickly disperses towards the shoulders leaving a broken, sudsy skim across the surface. No lacing on this one. Fantastic nose - oak, buttery notes, currants and a vinous quality all interwoven into a complex palate of aromas. Taste follows nose - no real surprises here. The flavors are refreshingly tart and the alcohol seems non-existent, despite the 10% abv indicated on the label. Mouthfeel is light in body with a carbonation that falls just short of lively. The tartness lightly stimulates the salivary glands along the sides of the cheeks and there is also a slight acidic burn that lingers on the lips between quaffs. Not much more to say - a solid American wild with a great deal of complexity. Another impressive beer from this brewer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: deep ruby red, smooth head.

S: Sweet-tart candy, more on the tart side. Cherries.

T: Sour cherry candy. That is the foremost thing that popped out to me. Some citrusy, woodyness appears at the back.

M: Vinegary aftertaste, but not really objectionable. Lip piucker sourness.

D: Wierd, but the sourness makes you want to go back for more. Certianally interesting, and, even refreshing. Need have a cold water after this, but, nice, in a wierd way.

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance: Pours out a medium amber color with about a finger of off-white head forms that has pretty average retention and minimal lacing. Some carbonation is present, but not a whole lot.

Smell: Funk and mustiness are present, but not real strongly. A bit of sourness as well, and quite a bit of oak, along with some darker fruit character; possibly plum and/or currant.

Taste: The plums and currants come out first, followed by strong mustiness and acidity. Out of Temptation, Supplication and Consecration, this beer is assuredly the most sour. A definite lactic sourness noted that is biting, and combines with the oak character very nicely. This is absolutely the highlight of this beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer is definitely medium bodied, but is lacking a bit of carbonation for my taste. Fairly low for the style, but still good. Overall, a good wild ale that really satisfies if you're looking for something sour. I wish the other aspects of this beer were as good as the taste, because it is good.

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Tanish brown, 1/2 head with some lacing.

SMell - Cherries, oak whiskey. Yeast and alcohol

Taste - Sour cherry, thin and dry. This really reminds me of a table wine. The oaked whiskey and yeast sour this even more.

Mouthfeel - Its thin, dry, and sour. Whole mouth is soured. Palette gets numbed from the alcohol, better eat and have water after this one.

Drinkabilty - The alcohol is masked good, this is a session beer, and quite good for a sour ale. I could drink this again, its not the sour monster then supplication is. Wine drinker would enjoy this for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Light, almost Red-copper, lightens up to a more golden brown when in direct light. Tried in a snifter

S: Initial sour tones. Replaced with definite oaky wine signatures. Fruity smells interlaced as well. After opening up the richness of the oaky-wine and fruit aromas become more prevalent, blends with the alcohol

T: Sour-sweetness overrides all first flavors and sensations. As is opens up the oak and cabernet remnants become nicely apparent and equalize the sour beginning.
NOTE: Truly my initial impression was shock. The sourness was so strong that I almost fell aghast. Yet, with patience its true oak and cabernet personality began to show itself. Sweeter taste after breathing

Mouthfeel: The lack of strong carbonation is taken over by the sourness and tannins from the oak conditioning. Again, after opening up the richness becomes more apparent, but never surpasses the sour blast. The alcohol did not produce strong warmth

Drinkability: This beer was my first funky American Wild Ale that was conditioned in cabernet oak casks. The sourness was honestly overpowering at first, both through the smell and taste (more so with the taste). However, as the beer opened up the aromas firstly became very exciting and did the beer's conditioning absolute justice. The taste took longer to come around, but as I began to realize the complexity I wanted nothing but more.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Big thanks goes out to ipa247 for this one. Hell of a fine trader.

batch #1. 750ml. Cork, cage, etc.

Cork pops out with a huge dupontesque BOOF! Pours a nice clear red ruby brownish color with a nice fizzy light tan head that actually retains well, by style standards. After a couple minutes it reduces to only a skim over the surface with a pretty good size ring around the edges of the glass. Leaves little lacing, but a good amount for the style.

Nose has subtle black currant and a lot of flemishy lacto tartness and funk. Oak is also apparent in the nose as is a cherry type of sweetness, likely from the currants.

Hmmm. Not as wildly sour as I was expecting, thats for sure, but certainly a tart beer. Really this is like a beefed up flemish ale, without heavy vinegar as is often found, although it is there. The currants are actually pretty noticeable in the flavor, as the sourness is not overbearing or terribly palate raping. The finish is brutally dry, but the sweetness of the added fruit does balance it out. This really is seemingly a nice cross between flemish styles and real american wild ale. Excellent balance. The oak does definitely make its presence known, especially right before the finish as well as in the aftertaste. Aftertaste lingers with slight vinegar, currant, and lacto mouth pucker.

Mouthfeel is right where it oughta be. Hard to argue any point of this really. There could be a tiny touch more carbonation, that is really my only qualm.

Drinkability is simply outstanding, both for the style and for the abv. It could be improved upon, but not a hell of alot.

Overall a fine beer, and a really interesting (at least IMO) melding of styles. I like the flemish lick that the addition of currants and barrel aging provide, and the fact that it doesn't get too flemish on us and forgoes having too much vinegar barf flavor. An impressive and incredibly complex and educational beverage. One i will be sure to cellar, and enjoy again in the future. Excited to see how this batch 2 is...Great beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

HUGE Thanks to DmanGTR for this. Been dying to try some RR stuff!!

A: Pretty clear considering, and a beautiful deep copper amber. The head consists of larger white bubbles, which soon dissipate to a ring of white bubbles.

S: Sweet and fruity with sour backing it up. With a hint of caramel. There is a slightly syrupy smell mixed in with a lovely sour scent.

T: The first sip is a sour punch in the face. There is a nice fruit flavor in the finish that I rather enjoy.

M: Medium thin body, very high carbonation, and puckering. The finish is fairly dry.

D: Very nice indeed. This beer could define the category.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A - Shimmering ruby-like color, very turbid, murky, rusted metal, apple cider.

N - Cider vinegar-like acidity, massive tart cherries, red wine vinegar and lots of winey notes folds into an almost clove-like suggestion, possibly whole nutmeg, green peppercorn, maybe figs or rose hips; the nose roams wildly and is pretty perfumy not like a Supplication which was more subtle. Wafting herbal aromas balanced with sour milk, wet and old hay, top soil.

T/M - Wow...teeth chattering tartness, cloying sour and irony mouthfeel; blackberries, raspberries, black peppercorn and figs; lemon skin, much more drying tannins in a lasting finish than the Supplication; leather strap, blackcurrants.

D - Not sure if I could drink more than one of those but this is definitely the most interesting sour beer I have had. I think I prefer the sessionable enjoyability of Supplication. We had both of these back-to-back in a recent sour tasting.

Batch 006 Poured from 375ml into Chimay goblet

A - Poured like a cocacola at first; fizzy with a quickly appearing and quickly diminishing head leaving no lacing. Also similar in color, although hazy. At first, I was planning on rating the appearance much lower due to the lack of a stable foam, but what it revealed when it disappeared was the most active fluid surface I'd ever seen on a beer, bubbles wisping around and dancing carbonation on the surface that showed me an active beer. Makes me feel like I'm about to drink a living thing, which I really dig.

S - Strong upfront dark cherry tartness with a very muted malty note underneath that seems to tessellate perfectly in place with the tartness. An almost tannic like red wine aroma as well, that reveals a bit of sourness at the end of the tart.

T - Very wine-like in flavor, as could have been expected, with an extremely sour bite to finish it off. The sourness chased away the dark fruit notes I got in the nose, but that doesn't bother much, as the sourness accentuates the citrusy flavor of the hops. No hoppy bitterness, preserving the flavor of the hops, while allowing all the bitterness to flow from its sourness. Altogether solid flavor profile that beguiled me at first and commanded my full attention.

M - Crisp and effevescent, and yet somehow still managed to be silky... I'm really not sure how this overall texture was pulled off, but its one of a kind. Hides it's booziness well in the medium body.

O - This particular beer confused me more than anything. Granted, I've not had much experience with sours to date, but I still imagine this has greater depth than most. I'd say its sourness in taste overpowered some of the darker fruits that the scent gives off, and the final product ends up tasting a bit like a carbonated grapefruit juice without any sweetener. But there is much more here. As it warmed, I felt that the malt I detected in the nose came out a bit more, but the yeastiness was seemingly lost in the sour. I enjoyed this, and have a bottle in the cellar that I look forward to revisiting in a year's time to see how it changed.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this beer on tap at Toronado's in San Fransico. Served in a wine glass cool.

A-Garnet body and a white wisp of a head.

S-Sour fruit smell, fruit stone

T-Sour, fruit stone and quite dry

M-Light

D-Good. Nice representation of the style. I would drink this again.

Drank from a 1 pint 9.4 fl. oz./750 ml bottle
Batch 001X3
Acquired in a trade with BrewerB
Served in a tulip

The beer poured a nearly clear, chestnut brown color with orangey-red tinges when held to the light. The frothy, bubbly, light tan, one-finger head displayed terrific retention. Drops of lacing cascaded down the sides of the glass with each sip.

The aroma instantly hit me with a blast of tartness. Quite sour and acidic. Dark, woody and slightly leathery. Berry-like. A touch musty and funky, but the funk was rather restrained (compared to the sourness).

The flaxor profile was quite similar to the nose. Earthy and fruity with distinct oaky, red wine-like notes. (Apparently this was from the Cabernet Sauvignon barrel aging.) Super tart, particularly on the back end. Acidic with notes of balsamic vinegar. A subtle, berry flavor was also noticeable. The finish was very oaky, tannic and dry. As the beer warmed, some caramel malt sweetness appeared up front.

The mouthfeel was light and fluffy. Creamy and frothy with a crisp, sprightly effervescence.

Despite the intense, acidic sourness of this brew, I found it to be quite drinkable. Frankly, I was blown away by the fact that this is a 10% ABV wild ale. Quite impressive alcohol masking.

Although I enjoyed this beer, it was not quite as full-flavored or as complex as I was hoping it to be. Regardless, this is another noteworthy release from Vinny and company at Russian River.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Huge thanks to swnicholson for the chance to try this gem. Poured into a tulip. Pours a murky brown with a very active, but thin head. Smell is of ripe fruits- I get prunes, rasberry, and the like. Some sugary alcohol and vinegar as well. Taste is not as sour as I had imagined. Really smooth flavor, actually. Again, some dark fruits, and smooth rich wine flavor. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Some active carbonation in the mouth, but overall very smooth and rich. Not my fave RR, but very good.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 004x4

Picked this one up in Colorado the previous summer and have been waiting patiently to crack it since. It survived its cage almost getting blown off due to elevation change and an accidental freeze in the fridge...let's see what's in the bottle

A - pours a brownish red with a small head with a ton of bubbling carbonation. More of a deep red with shades of brown.

S - smells of vinegar, sour notes, a bit of brett funk...sour smelling overall

T - starts off with sour notes of lemon that pucker and lock up your mouth. The sourness is cut into by acidic vinegar tones which helped bring down the sourness. On the exhale you can taste the sour flavors and a lot of vinous oak-soaked cab notes on the finish...this taste lingered far down the palate, almost like I washed down my drink with some cab. A bit of brett funk and mushroom hung over everything but it was hard to tell exactly when on the palate it came in. Really nice complexity.

M - Really nice carbonation and good body to it

D - This beer showcases to me why RR is considered one of the top, if not the top, wild ale producer in North America. Really nice complexity that makes this stand out from some of the other sours / wilds I have tried. I am going to have to get some more of this one for sure.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark red in color, 1 finger head at the pour but it is gone in an instant. Not even a lacing of bubbles in my glass.

S - Brett yeast is the predominant aroma. Not much else is coming through but the brett is so overpowering nothing should be able to come through. Smells exactly like Supplication, with a hint of currants in the background.

T - Once again, I haven't had many wild beers, so I can't place the tastes as well as most might be able to, but the sour flavor of the wild yeasts is predominant to me. Dark fruits, specifically the currant and some cherry which could be coming from the yeast.

M - Medium bodied, low carbonation, both expected with this beer. Finish is dry and sour with some sweetness from the fruits.

D - Very drinkable, ABV doesn't seem like it's close to 10%. One of the most sour beers I have ever had, but still surprisingly easy to drink and go back for more.

Batch 002x3

Had a sample of this at Night of the Barrels and really liked it, so thanks to msulinski for sending me a bottle.

Pours a dark, red grape-skin color with an off-white head that slowly falls apart into a thin ring around the edges of the glass. Light lacing.

Grapes, vinegar and dark fruits make up the majority of the nose. Somewhat acidic with a light alcohol aroma. Little bit of funk.

The flavor consists of sharp, slightly acidic, tart red grapes, chewy currants, bits of raisin and vanilla. Some warming alcohol and woodiness from the barrels comes through a bit. Nice tartness mixed with a small amount of cherry and plum.

Mouthfeel is carbonated well, maybe a little more than I would like and leads to a little bit of foaminess. Warming alcohol and a bit of mouth puckering tartness.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a big beer at 10% and with 1 year of cellaring it has some sharpness to it. Definitely a sipper, but decently complex and enjoyable to drink.

Overall, this is another winner from Russian River, but maybe not quite on par with Supplication. I remember the sample I had on tap being smoother and a bit fruitier, but that could be due to the fact that this bottle has been aging for about a year. All in all though, this is a tasty beer and one that I hope to have again in the future. Looking forward to trying more Russian River sours.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 001X2 bottle, corked and caged, purchased from Monk's Cafe 4 months ago. The beer is hazy, dark reddish brown with a 1-finger off-white foam that quickly dissipated to a thin ring around the glass. Much darker than I initially expected. The aroma is sour and acidic with a strong raisin character. There's much more dark fruit than I normally get in a wild ale, I think I smell plums and a touch of alcohol also. I like everything about the aroma except the alcohol, maybe it can't be helped due to the high ABV. The taste is not as sour as feared or hoped, but crisply tart. Lots of raisins, plums, some sweet and tart cherries, very very good. More in-your-face than Belgian wild ales, this has more evident alcohol and bolder flavors overall. Medium body but the rich flavors and threat of 10% tempers the drinkability a bit.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Dark caramel color with some red highlights when held to the light, a good inch of foam.

Brett and vinegar on the nose, sweet fruits like raisins, caramel malts, vine, a touch of alcohol, oak, some green apples, nectarine, currants, brown sugar. Quite complex. A slight herbal aroma too.

Big currant and grape flavor, leather, and oak. Quite tart and dry on the tongue. Lemon in the finish. A little better once it warms up. Some bitter citrus flavors in the end, a little nutty and toast in the aftertaste.

A bit thin in the middle, would benefit with some more malt dept.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

A - A fluffy head with large bubbles fades quickly. Foggy crimson color with some darker highlights.

S - The aroma has all the complexity of a Belgian sour along with a decent malt nose. The cab sav and currants blend perfectly to add to the complexity.

T - Great interplay of sour and malt characteristics. Tart as a Rodenbach Grand Cru, but leaves you with a sweet aftertaste with still being dry somehow. Tartness and bubbly carbonation reminiscent of champagne. Subtle oak rounds out the flavor.

M/D - Dry and sticky. Fills out the mouth then washes it clean. Overall, an absolutely fantastic beer! Different aspects of this beer seem to contradict one another, but somehow combines to make one intricate beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Pours a ruby-raisin with blood-amber highlights that grows darker towards the bottom of the bottle. Almost a gusher, huge head.

Smell: A definite tartness with raisins, dates, plums, prunes and lots of berries (blackberry, raspberry) and some black currants. Very jammy. The dark berries are the most dominant part. Also a wine cabernet sauvignon element with some oak undertones that gives off noticeable tannins.

Taste: The acidity hits with a serious punch, more so than any other sour I have had*. My tongue still feels the scorch of citric acid the next day. This is a very, very sour beer. The dark berries dominate (blackberry, raspberry) along with raisins, dark sour cherries, dates, plums, prunes, and black currants. The wine element is here as well, definitely cabernet sauvignon / merlot with oaky undertones and tannins. There is absolutely no vinegar element to this beer, and little funk to speak of - though I wish there was some of both. A bit of balsamic vinegar.

Mouthfeel: Light with a champagne-like carbonation.

This is a very good beer, but there is something holding it back from greatness.

Drinkability: The extreme sour does a good job balancing out the high level of dark fruits; I was shocked to see it is 10% as I felt it but didn't taste it.

*NB: Had the newest batch on 4/7/2011, either they grow much more sour with age or the newer bottles are much less sour and flavorful/bold.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company