Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,451
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Received this brew from 110x0110 (not right) in a recent trade. I've been hella excited to try this brew for quite some time and considering I just got a new job, today is the day. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Batch 001X4

A- Pours a dark reddish brown that is sort of mahogany in color with a fairly prominent one finger foamy head. It dissipates really quickly and doesn't leave a cap or collar but I'm biased. Half point higher because I'm so pumped.
S- Slightly woody and tart with a semi vinous red grape dimension. Earthy and clean at the same time with some apple cider vinegar and raisin bran. Light cherry with a sort of minor musky funk and Brett backdrop. The 10% is no where to be found in the nose.
T- Starts with a lightly tart/sour kick that is amazingly smooth and pleasant. Mushroom and ham (yes ham) add a very earthy funk component that is sort of salty and sweet. Tobacco, leather, teriyaki beef jerky and compost add even more earthy goodness before the Cabernet sets in. Red grapes, prunes and figs are somewhat fruity and raw. The beer hasn't reached totally puckering sour yet but it will eventually. As of now it's just slightly sour and awesome. Finishes with some vanilla and oak and lots of thick black fruity goodness.
M- Medium to light body with a sharp carbonation and pleasant feel. Again, 10% my ass...
D- Wow... This brew is amazing. So earthy and drinkable with a fantastic fruity quality that isn't sweet or bitter. Unlike anything I've tasted to this point. I was expecting a straight up sour with a slight fruity dimension but not so. Awesome stuff, thanks Matt!

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Batch 007

A - Pours a dark red/ruby color with a nice head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring and some lacing.

S - Tart and sour. Definitely pick up on the funkiness of the yeast. Dark fruits. Currants are the most noticeable fruit here. A very nice and strong smell.

T - Great sour notes...I definitely pick up apple and currant notes. Some cherry as well. A little bit of funkyness from the brett too. Very nice and complex. The Cabernet Sauvignon barrels add a nice touch and refined wine characteristic. This is the ideal sour beer - marvelous.

M - Medium bodied, it starts really sour and tart but a note of sweetness is present on the finish. For 10%, this drinks really nicely.

O - Consecration is one of the best sours I have ever had. It's extremely well done and inviting. I would love to have this again!

4.76/5  rDev +6%

I usually never drink a beer with fruit added to the mix (in this case currents), but I love Russian River and constantly tell myself I'm blessed to live close by. So... I bought a 750mL of Consecration - it's not cheap $22 a bottle.

Now for the review....

A: Nice copper/ruby

S: Smells like red wine at first, then you can smell some currants and "regular" beer smells

T: Tart like a sour beer should be. The first thing you test is the sour, then you you can taste the currents, the Cabernet oak barrel, and traditional beer flavors. It leaves I nice finish of sour cherries.

M: Wonderful effervescent feeling on the tongue!

D: I never heard of sour beers until I first started to go regularly to the the Toronado. At first, I didn't like them, but they grow on you quickly.

Consecration is an excellent "sour beer" (aka Brettanomyces). I got my money's worth with this one. The alcohol does not over power it at all, in fact it's subtle.

Consecration is a perfect example of the "new era" of experimental micro-brews.

Beers like this really make you wonder why you ever drank PBR, Bud, or Corona. Consecration is one beer raising and bettering beer's reputation (ruined by the macro brews).

4.76/5  rDev +6%

A- Dark Brown with very little head, if any but huge carbonation visible from a birds eye view! Awesome stuff. This is like watching a storm!

S- In my opinion the least exciting aspect of this beer. I got some citrus, ripe fruits and slight barnyard

T- Ripe cherries, citrus, black berries a winey finish. Delicious.

M- Best part about this beer. Syrupy sugary start followed by a highly carbonated medium dry finish. No alcohol taste. Amazing.

O- I pretty much love everything these guys do, I'm not gonna lie

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to hophead101 for sending me this bottle.

Batch 001x1, sampled June 19, 2010.

The beer pours a clear dark red color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get lots of brown sugar, oak, vanilla and a low amount of tartness. The flavor is brown sugar, medium tartness, dark fruits, vanilla and oak. Medium carbonation and medium mouthfeel. This beer matured into a wonderful drink. It was tried alongside Sanctification, Temptation, Supplication and Beatification and I think this beer was easily the star of the show.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company