1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,140 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
harrymattcody

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev -19.9%

From a bottle received in a trade.

A murky brown with shades of red results from he pour. Nothing too crazy forms on top and the result is no lace to speak of. Not a problem, though, with barrel aging and so forth. Aromas of tobacco, leather anwood dominate with maybe a hint of fruit. Taste is a pretty spot on regarding the nose and that's where it loses me. Consecration is definitely a quality brew but those tastes just aren't for me. A nice feel in the mouth with just enough carbonation to keep it lively.

Probably not something I'll come back to in the near future, but I can see the appeal and appreciate the quality that Russian River puts out.

09-25-2011 13:39:35 | More by harrymattcody
airohead2001

3.55/5  rDev -20.6%

Part V of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I've had this one before, but having it at the end of this tasting makes it all the better.

Appearance is dark red with very little head. The smell is bourbon, cherries, vanilla, and raspberries. As good as the smell is, the taste is quite a letdown - lemons, sour grapes, slight biscuit, bitters, and booze; really though, none of these flavors meld into anything too good. The drinkability is fair, but the sourness and the overall blandness of the taste makes one glass of this beer just plenty.

02-02-2011 03:01:38 | More by airohead2001
Cavery

3.55/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip, small bottle carefully poured. Shared last weekend with SundaySour.

Batch: shamefully I forgot to note; it's always important!

A: Light brown sugar with a filmy head and no lacing. A solution of brown sugar and maple syrup. Looks very scotch like! Soft dark reds and lighter shimmering shades dominate.

S: Up front cherry skins and dried gojji berries. Wood acidity is prominent, but not too invasive. Fresh split raisins in dark cane sugars, not too sweet, and featuring a rapid dryness.

T: Acidic woods, red wine vinegars, and sprits of lime juice. A light lingering lime salt flavor with white citrus connective tissues, but not quite rinds. The currents really tang the finish, and bitter in the mouth. Each sip relieves astringency with refreshing sweetness.

M: Light flat body that has all its sensations overwhelmed by tartness. Not much here, flavor sensations thwart subtle mouth feels. Fairly wet in the mouth, light aspirin comes very late; leaves a bit of a cotton mouth.

O: I've had this a few times, and this wasn't the strongest showing. I wish I had made note of the batch as it was really quite a bit more acidic than I ever had before. This was my first time out of the bottle, but even then the youth of the wood and harshness of young currents pillaged the palate. This beer is much better in different batches, but I would say that the taste character is fairly the same. There was a bit more lime/vinegar than I'd like, as the flavors are already acidic and bold enough. By no means a crap or unexciting beer, but I dreamed of acidic remedies after this one.

07-09-2011 03:06:36 | More by Cavery
champ103

3.53/5  rDev -21%

A big thanks to Dajtai007 for sharing this with me an several other BA's.

A: Pours a dark reddish/brown color. A small white head forms, and recedes in a second. Light lace is left behind.
S: Sweet malt, and tart fruits. I don't get much else.
T: Very sweet and tart fruits. Kind of vinegary. Caramel apples. I enjoy the tartness, but overall there is not a lot here.
M/D: A medium body that is very crisp and perfectly carbonated. Not hard to drink, but not something I want to reach for again and again.

Not bad at all. I have had this many times, and it is about time to put my thoughts down. Very enjoyable, but Russian River have a lot better Wild Ales IMO. Still very much worth a try.

08-09-2010 02:09:42 | More by champ103
DocJitsu

3.53/5  rDev -21%

Pours an opaque caramel color with no head. Tart apple and Belgian yeast aromas. Ok, so I'm not a wild fan at all. I mean, as much as I want to get it, I just don't. Have you ever picked up a sack of apples that have fallen off the tree? The sack was left outside all night. You went out the next late afternoon and picked them up. The movement stirred the honey bees inside. You stuck your head in the sack. This beer tastes like that apple sack smells. I do enjoy how after the beer disappears from the palate and I lick my lips, there's a sweet taste that, subsequently, appears on the tongue. I'm still developing my palate for the wilds. Bear with me.

04-04-2012 04:12:01 | More by DocJitsu
alcstradamus

Washington

Thanks for the trade Christian

Pours a very dark shade of brown, looks black in low light. A solid two fingers of very lively head rises up but falls quickly, leaving a thick persistent collar around my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is very mild funkiness, tart apples, caramel, grapes, a hint of oak barrel as well.

Taste is a mouth puckering mash of grapes, apple skin, strong oak presence, vinegar, caramel, and dirt. Very complex but the oak comes through a tad too much leaving a dryness on the palate that I don't care for. Medium bodied and like I said very dry. This is a very impressive beer but not really my cup of tea quite yet (still so/so about sours).

I will revisit this again next year and see if my opinion has changed.

08-17-2009 04:13:50 | More by alcstradamus
Blanco

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

amber brown color with a thin white head. no lacing whatsoever. Head fades to nothing rather quickly. smell is capital Potent of funky sourness. I don't know how to describe the taste, but it's intensely sour, with dark fruit notes. zingy mouthfeel.

overall: the lesser of all the RR sours, but still not bad. price was $22 a bomber (Batch 3) which is much lower than prices for others.

03-20-2011 02:42:29 | More by Blanco
Stunner97

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance- light brown in color with little to no head or foam, only very small amount of bubbles to be seen slowly streaming

Smell- little bit of funk and tartness on the nose, currants, can really almost smell the tartness

Taste- you get a little bit of the wine and oak, also a little bit of the currant, but the predominant flavor is just strong sharp sourness, you really don't taste the alcohol at all but the funk and sour is strong,

Mouthfeel- very light and crisp, sour and tart feel, just very light and crisp

Overall/drinkability- while this beer was better then many of the other sours I have tried it still just is not my thing, i just simply don't get it, i can appreciate the complexity and strong flavors of this beer but to me these are just super hard to drink, i mean when i say this beer is sour its super super sour like lemonhead sour, certainly a unique experience but for me just not enjoyable really beyond the novelty

02-09-2012 21:49:03 | More by Stunner97
Airyk12

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brown with a slight ruby tint. No head to speak of.

Smells tart, followed by fruit; cherries and currants, with strong vinegar.

Taste definitely follows the nose, with strong fruitiness and vinegar tartness. Too much brett... Hints of cherries and currants, but mostly vinegar. Alcohol noticeable, but not strong at all.

Highly acidic feel, with some carbonation. Not too smooth, but that's a sour for you.

After all the hype, including the price, I was unimpressed. I was expecting an eye-opening sour experience, and I got what I consider an average experience. Maybe some more aging would have improved it; I don't know. Just underwhelming all around.

05-04-2011 08:12:01 | More by Airyk12
BZero007

3.45/5  rDev -22.8%

Had a bottle of this the other night for a tasting. Pours a dark cola Burgundy into a Snifter, carbonation is clearly scene but not overwhelmingly. Minimal head retention with a small but nice amount of lace. The aromas coming form the beer are very complex, black currants, cherry's and Tobacco every so slightly. Was a mind opening taste for everyone at the tasting and actually for a couple people their first addiction. Taste is a sour that leaves your mouth a bit dry. Flavors of cherry's were dominate for me not others, with black currants and a hint of oak in the back ground. I am not a big fan of sours but this beer did well for being a sour and converted people in the tasting to sour lovers. Mouth feel is like drinking a very dry and tart wine and I wouldn't be surprised if some was used int he brewing. This type of beer is definitely a slow and sip drink, at least for me. It is a very interesting beer and would recomend anyone to give it a try at least once!

03-18-2009 02:26:49 | More by BZero007
hwwty4

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to GRC1313 for leaving this at my house after a pretty profound Saison tasting.

Poured a new 375ml into my Dogfish Head snifter. Fairly positive its the first batch in the new 375's but I have already recycled the bottle without looking at it. This beer pours a prune brown with just a hint of a tan head that leaves no lacing. Very little carbonation leaving no bubbles. The aroma is extremely fruity. Tart organic cherry juice with prunes and dates mixed with just a hint of fresh oak. It terms of tartness, most of it seems to coming from a lactic twang. The flavor is much the same. Sour cherry juice dominates the flavor profile. Hints of fig and date come thorough behind the cherry. Oak comes through at the very tail of the profile. Major lactic acid presence. It really feels one dimensional. This is really one of those beers that no matter how dirty your teeth are, they come out feeling clean. The mouthfeel is very full for a sour. Really enjoyable. It really feels full on the palate and finishes extremely dry. Great. I've been lucky enough to have every batch of Consecration. While it is a good beer, I dont think its in the realm of Russian Rivers other sours or in the top echelons of American Wilds.

Serving type: growler

10-13-2010 02:22:16 | More by hwwty4
drcarver

3.38/5  rDev -24.4%

I am not a huge fan of sour ales. Let's start with that.

A - pours medium brown with a small head. Head recedes leaving little lacing on down and some traces down the side.

S - sweet smell of wine dominates. grapes and tanins with little alcohol at the end.

T/M - overwhelmingly sour throughout though sweet at the front. bits of fruitiness. a leathery taste towards the back. leaves a steel like feel to the tongue but have a clean finish.

O - its sour alright.

08-11-2011 18:50:14 | More by drcarver
beagle75

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev -25.1%

On-tap at Tustin Brewing Company; a ten-ounce serving poured into a Chimay goblet.

A: Clear, reddish-amber color with a small amount of white head that quickly diminishes to a patchy residue and ring of foam.

S: Weak ascetic odor with slight urea. While it sounds repulsive, the overall mildness of the smell keeps it from being overpowering.

T: Taste begins very sour and also fruity. The taste of wine is diminished and blends well with the other flavors of currants and stone fruits. An aftertaste rapidly sets in consisting of strong, assertive oak and bready yeast. The flavor of the yeast is noticeable in every sip and I find myself looking forward to it--not what I expected to find in this beer. There is no flavor of alcohol detectable.

M: Viscosity is thin but not watery or distracting. Moderate carbonation could be less, as it seems to exhaust the palate by the end of the serving.

D: This beer is truly a challenge, both in terms of alcohol content as well as flavor. It is most similar to another Russian River sour, Supplication. Neither drinks as easily as some other American-brewed sour brown ales such as The Bruery's Oude Tart or Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja. Be warned before you open a large bottle of this beer for yourself--you would have to love sours unconditionally to enjoy all 750 ml.

06-17-2010 23:22:36 | More by beagle75
psuKinger

3.33/5  rDev -25.5%

500 mL bottle, corked and caged, split with my buddy Griff and poured into my two belgian Petrus snifter glasses. Review done from my notes from last night.

A: Pours a murky-brown color with an off-white head that dissipated quickly.

S: The nose is of pure sweetness and funk.

T: Tart fruits and sourness. Lots and lots of sourness. I'm trying to pick up on other things here... pick out certain types of tart fruits, but I'm struggling. Maybe some very mild cherry, but it's tough to tell as this is just overwhelmingly sour to me.

Taste also has a vinegar-red-wine sourness that you get if you open up a bottle of red, don't finish it, put it in your refrigerator for a week or so, then take it back out and drink it.

I will say this, the 10% ABV is very hidden here. I don't pick up on any alcohol presence at all.

M: This beer finishes sour. I'm not sure what else to say about this.

D: It was fun to try... a lot of fun to try. But it's not terribly drinkable for me. I wouldn't have wanted another one that night, and I don't think I would be interested in trying it again until some time passes. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never try it again, just not anytime in the next several weeks.

12-20-2010 15:20:51 | More by psuKinger
BDLbrewster

3.3/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a deep crimson hued plum color with a very small bright purple head. Very little retention and chunky, slippery lacing. Amazing colored brew.

The smell is more vinous than anything. There is a strong concord grape driven smell up front with a fairly reserved funk. I'm liken this to a funky welches grape juice. I enjoy that the oak is not a dominating odor.

The flavor is loaded with grape, current and plums. There is a firm acidity reminiscent of white wine vinegar that covers up a lot of the underlying funk. The funkiness starts to emerge more as the puckering subsides. Once again there is a very vinous quality to this brew. There is no hint in the taste that Consecration sits at a hefty 10%.

The mouthfeel is very light and the carbonation ample and vibrant. There is a lactic thickness on the back end, but the acidity helps to cover and keep it light feeling.

Overall, I feel this brew lacks a complexity that I like in a wild. I enjoy this brew immensely, but this 750 is going to be a chore to polish off.

11-09-2009 02:09:59 | More by BDLbrewster
HURTemHIZZY

3.08/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a nice reddish brown that turns to a beautiful deep ruby when held in front of a light. Almost no head is present, but a bit of lacing is left behind. The carbonation is easily visible, and never dies down by the time the beer is finished.

Smells solid. Sour up front, with a hint of oak and some different fruits (can't pick out which fruits specifically from the nose.)

Taste just isn't up to par with the smell or the expectations. I will say that this is only my second sour, with the supplication I had two days earlier my first. The supplication was absolutely incredible, and is probably my favorite beer now. This one, though, just doesn't do it for me. The sourness doesn't take up enough of the fruity characteristics and instead reminds me almost of pure vinegar. There is a slight fruity sweetness to it which saves it from being really bad, but the vinegar flavor is too prominent to make it anything more than average. I really wanted to like this one as much as supplication, but it just wasn't even close. Real disappointment.

Batch 003x1.

05-25-2010 04:46:20 | More by HURTemHIZZY
Risser09

3.08/5  rDev -31.1%

375ml poured into a flute - fridge - batch 004x4

Appearance: Pours a dark red, but mostly brown color with absolutely no head. This might be a bad bottle. It is a little cloudy but shows no other signs of life.

Smell: Medicinal, cabernet, currant and not much else. I suppose there is a little bit of tobacco.

Taste: Sticky sweet but also sour and acidic. A tart taste of currant and other dark fruits is met with that typical cabernet taste. Some wood and plenty of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very unlively, with no carbonation, but lots of flavor and wine inspiration. Medium to heavily bodied. Tart, acidic, sweet and woody.

Drinkability: This beer had so much hype around it that it pains me to begrudge it so much. It needs more attention to detail. Head, head retention, aroma, mouthfeel all need to be seriously reconsidered before releasing to the public. I feel like this beer was sold just to get it out of the brewery for some $$$.

08-08-2010 01:45:31 | More by Risser09
TheDudeRules

2.85/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my trusty Darkness snifter.

Batch 003 from a 750ml bottle.

Let me start by saying I know people go apeshit for this beer. I get that I am possibly a minority on not liking this style. The fact is, I rate a beer based on how it tastes to me. Style aside.

Pours a reddish ice tea color with a bit of off white head. Brett sour funk with a bit of vanilla note. Incredibly sour and tart. Puckering even. After I'm done praying this sip gets over with I do notice a booze bite on the backend. Overly tart and something I really don't wish to have again.

I'm getting stinkeye from the crowd on this one. Maybe rightfully so. Last I checked though I don't get mad if you dislike the ipa or stout in your glass.

05-23-2011 19:10:22 | More by TheDudeRules
ibbjamin

2.78/5  rDev -37.8%

Paid $23.99 for a 750ml bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Batch 001X3. Poured into a large wine glass.

Upon cracking the cage n corked bottle, the beer spilled rather quickly out of the top of the bottle. Beware to have a glass ready with this one! Perhaps it was shaken a bit as upon pouring as the head is quite small actually. Quite fizzy, this off white head dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Carbonation is quite tricky/deceiving. Color is deep ruby red. Its darkness leads to this being nearly opaque. No retention.

Smells of wild yeast funk and very fine tart cherries. Also a grape complexity added a la aging in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Mildly sweet, yet certainly much more on the sour side. Even some breadiness from the yeast.

Sour to the taste buds resulting in strong astringency. Funk, sour cherries, some grape. Not as complex as the nose. A bit too sour for my liking.

Very dry mouth, astringent. Light to medium bodied. Light carbonation. As dry as some champagne I've had, which for me, is not a positive quality I'm looking for in a beer.

04-08-2009 01:59:38 | More by ibbjamin
MrMcGibblets

2.58/5  rDev -42.3%

Disclaimer: still not a fan of sours, but will try to keep this in mind while reviewing. Batch 005x1e
A: deep clear amber w/dark ruby highlights. Similar to the color of an old madeira. Little to no head dissipates immediately and cannot be roused back by swirling. No lacing. Served in tulip glass.
S: dark stone fruit and red wine dominate. Some funkiness and earthiness but those characteristics are not overpowering.
T: very little residual sweetness present. Mostly dry and sour. Nose carries over into the taste. Very mich like drinking a lightly carbonated tannic red wine, although the sourness is more vinegary than tannic. Some oak/vanilla noted which is a nice layer of complexity here.
M: this must be the lightest bodied 10% beer I've ever had by a mile, due to the high attenuation. Sourness lingers. more CO2 would've helped, as there is very little.
O/D: for the style, I am sure this is a great achievement. But I can't see having very much of this and would need to be in the mood for it. This probably would be a great pairing for some food/dishes, and as a component of such as well, although the cost would be prohibitive in the latter case.
I'm certain some lovers of this beer and/or sours will report this review (much like my review of thomas hardy's old ale). To these people i can only say i tried to be open-minded and enjoy having my own opinion, and that i prefer beer to wine.

01-29-2012 03:25:50 | More by MrMcGibblets
Airliebeer

Oregon

2.58/5  rDev -42.3%

I had a chance recently to review Russian River Brewing Consecration which the owner/operator of Yeasty Beasty in Monmouth, Or. had presented me. These are my impressions:

The bottle feels good to handle. It has a retro vibe with the neck bulging slightly in the middle. The lip of the bottle is thickened so as to accommodate the champagne-style cork made necessary, I suppose, by the in bottle fermentation. The color and labeling are not intrusive and add to the air of subdued refinement.

The first taste showed the cabernet casking strongly. So strong in fact, that I could not find the ale underneath. A second taste revealed a finely crafted, but very complex brew. One that was beyond my meager abilities to dissect. I could not pick apart the strong cabernet taste from a hint of something I am still trying to put a name to, and the ale I knew lay behind the fine carbonation. There didn’t seem to be any top hit of hops.

Beyond those criticisms, Russian River Consecration is a finely crafted brew. If you are looking for a brew to serve to a group of friends looking to have a few, this may not be it. If, however, you are looking for an immaculately-crafted beer full of surprises, then try this one.

06-21-2013 22:32:39 | More by Airliebeer
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

2.55/5  rDev -43%

Brought this batch 005 bottle back from Colorado Summer of 2010. Allowed it to rest for a year. At last, poured into a New Belgium Globe.

Color is good - a garnet red hue that reminds me of a dark cola. Was denied any type of foam at all even though the cork popped off like a bottle of Dom. I'd prefer to see some bubbles here, but not even as much as a glass hugger. No lace of course. Really blows the appearance for me.

Some serious aromas here - it's best attribute. Red wine, dark fruits, sweet pipe tobacco, and woody. The sourness is evident, but not what I'd call inviting. The alcohol is not at all hidden. All this makes for an interesting aromatic ride.

Now for the deal breaker. RR's description of this beer does not deliver the message of "sour bomb", which it is. The sour takes over all the other components found in the aroma and shoves them out the door which is really too bad. Worst tasting brew I've had in ages.

The feel of this beer is pretty chewy, but also lacks the carbonation to balance it out.

This over-hyped concoction was a major let down for me. After wrestling this thing for several swallows of varied volume...it ended in drain pour. A good brew should not make me pucker and salivate profusely. Consecration lacks the all-important balance I search for in a good brew. Now I can say, "Been there. Done that."

07-04-2012 04:40:44 | More by DelMontiac
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -44.1%

8 oz pour served on tap in a chalice at Saraveza.

Not much to look at. Barely any bubbles at all, let alone head. Dark reddish amber, almost brown see-through body. Zero lacing.

Things get more interesting right away with the first sniff. Massive tart/sour fruit- cherry, fermenting wine- and vinegar smells up front. Once it warms up, small hints of other aromas appear: oak, some sweetness and a teaser of the brett to come. Quite interesting.

In the mouth, the sour flavors once again dominate at first, but things develop quickly as the beer warms up. Some of these things are more pleasant than others. Sour cherryish flavors on the edges of the tongue, overwhelming nasty brett funkiness up the middle as I swallow (I have cultivated an appreciation for milder funkiness that complements the other flavors in a beer, but the brett is simply too strong here for my taste). Hints of sweet currant and oak all around. Sour lingering aftertaste. The brett basically ruins this beer for me.

The moderate-light carbonation is certainly more than I would have thought based on the looks of it. Really makes all that sourness tingle all over the tongue. Dry and sour finish leaves me wanting a sip of water after every swallow. Probably would have rated the feel a lot higher if the brett didn't linger all over the palate threatening to activate my gag reflex.

Drinkability is not good. I like the sourness, but the overpowering brett nastiness severely limits extended enjoyment for me.

Overall impression: Definitely doesn't live up to the hype for me. Hopefully the Supplication and Temptation I recently traded for are better. This much brett has no place in beer! (at least not the beer going into this mouth)

02-19-2009 22:39:10 | More by PDXHops
charlzm

2.48/5  rDev -44.5%

Consumed Saturday, January 7, 2012 at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood, CA in a snifter.

Beer is a dark, plummy brown with no head.

Sweet apricot and plum aroma. Reminds me of a Passover wine as well. Trace of a metallic tang.

Flavor is the same as the aroma but is quite tart as well. Tart as in crazy sour. Weird aftertaste, like fermented figs.

Mouthfeel is ever so slightly thick and flat as Kansas.

I'll let the sour beer lovers have this one, as I'm not in that camp.

01-14-2012 18:41:25 | More by charlzm
PartyHatjo

2.38/5  rDev -46.8%

Purchased a 750 ml bottle at the Cheeky Monk, shared with a friend.

Appearance: Poured into a chalice, dark brown in color with some red overtones. Clarity is poor, small head that dissipates rapidly.

Aroma: Very prominent oak, getting lots of winelike character (from the cabernet barrels). Some burnt sugar character as well as dried fruits. Some horsey brett character also coming through.

Taste: Very acidic up front, like getting punched in the face. There is some complexity of flavor early on, but as you go through the glass, it just becomes more and more like drinking a carbonated cabernet sauvignon.

Mouthfeel: More body than most sours. The wine-like character seems to create massive palate fatigue, coats the tongue

Drinkability: very poor, got through the glass, but could not make a session of this brew.

Overall, not impressed with this beer for the price we paid. Vinny could stand to take some lessons from Peter or make a return trip to Belgium and learn from the masters

09-08-2009 15:19:22 | More by PartyHatjo