Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,612
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,088 | Hads: 4,802
3.75/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from strang. Batch 008. From notes.

A - Deep red colour, cloudy with one finger of light brown head that fizzled away fast. Quite effervescent. No lace, no retention.

S - Grapes, plums, Brett, some wood, lemon candy, mustiness.

T - Tart with grapes and not much else. Musty, tart, lemons, not much 'dark' to speak of, it's mostly just a Brett assault. Maybe a tiny bit of dark fruit was there. No alcohol.

M - Strong carbonation, medium to full body, puckering tart finish.

O/D - Enjoyed it. Too bad there couldn't be more malt complexity with the Brett dialed back. Carbonation was also a bit much and made tasting a bit difficult. Not bad for a wild ale though and was pleasant to drink, but didn't seem to break new ground for the style .

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a relatively clear crimson red in color with some heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and some ruby red highlights. The beer has a finger and a half tall fizzy yet creamy tan head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to heavy aromas of tartness/sourness with dark fruit (cherries and currants) and heavier smells of red wine and oak.

T: Moderately tart upfront with some vinous notes, hints of balsamic vinegar, and a moderate amount of sour cherries. Light to moderate flavors of oak and red wine along with some dark fruits (currant). Moderately tart which lingers in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Relatively dry in the finish with a heavy amount of acidic prickliness.

O: Reminds me more of drinking a slightly tart red wine than a beer (so to speak) but it is definitely an enjoyable experience. Due to the tartness, it was one that I needed to enjoy by sipping rather slowly but it is definitely a phenomenal beer. Nice job of balancing the sourness with the red wine flavors.

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is very dark crimson red in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger and a half high dark beige head that gradually died down, leaving wispy lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of Cabernet Sauvignon wine barrels are present in the nose along with a slight amount of sourness.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the wine isn't as prominent and there are also notes of oak and hints of cherries.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little acidic on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a good balance for an barrel aged beer and doesn't seem too winey.

Thanks dagsy for the amazing extra

Pours a deep ruby with soda like off white head. Smells like vinagar with some fruity tones. Tastes like tart plums and blackberries with a little bit of oak and a slight alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is light with fairly high carbonation. I had this beer years ago and hated it but I think I just got a bad bottle...this was very suprising.

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got the last of these available at my local bottle shop. I was super pumped as I had heard so much about it.

So I was a little disappointed when I first tasted it. The cherries were great but that weird wine after taste just didn't fit. As the beer warmed in my hand, the flavors started to meld. By the end, the beer was closer to 50/55 degF and the flavors which seemed so disparate were working together. And I was wishing I had another.

I don't know what temp RussiannRiver suggests to drink this, but if/when I drink this again, I will start closer to the temp I drink wine. It made a world of difference to me.

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sampled in a goblet from a 375ml bottle purchased while on business in the bay area.

A - Reddish brown and hazy with a limited head. Lots of bubbles but no accumulation.

S - Lots of sour cherries.

T - A very sour and tart start with a vinous finish. Great complexity. The sourness and the wine notes play off and compliment each other. The 10% alcohol is barely noticeable.

M - A mouthpuckering bite and a carbonation that delivers and disperses the flavors nicely.

D - Complex and addicting. I love this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a tulip
Batch# 013113

A- Pours hazy amber brown with no head at all. Lots of visible carbonation. Some alcohol legs.

S- Sours cherries. Oak. Wheat. Lemongrass. Dark fruit. An impressive nose on this brew.

T- An intense sourness unlike any other. A very puckering beer. A big hay flavor sweeps over this beer, A herbal, grassy flavor to it. A sour cherry flavor to this beer, maybe a little plum and fig as well. This beer is almost like biting into a lemon, a lot of lemon flavor. A great barrel flavor as well, a touch of oak. Imagine a sour champagne. Hides the 10% well

M- Sour as hell. Strong in terms of alcohol feel. An intense beer.

O- This is a fantastic Beer. Strong, and really gives force to the term "sour". A delightfully complex and unique beer.

4.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Pours a deep red with very little head that doesn't linger for more than a few seconds. Definitely has a unique smell of raisin, Cabernet wine, champagne and sour dark fruits like prunes or dates. Initial taste is one of a rolling bubble champagne but complex taste where I really got some of the red wine flavors. Overall very delicious and a fairly heavy hitter for a wild on the alcohol content.

4.54/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12.68 oz. (375 mL) bottle purchased at Ales Unlimited in San Francisco, bottled on 1/31/13, poured into my FFF Teku glass and drank over ~30 minutes.

A: 4.5 - dark (almost blood) red-brown coloration, moderate clarity, quickly dissipating yellow fizzy suds that resolves in seconds to a thin glass lacing, moderare alcohol legs for 10.00% on swirling that reagitates the carbonation

S: 4.75 - lots of cabernet and tannin, lactobacillus sour notes, alcohol aromas that are actually more present in the aroma than the taste

T: 4.5 - as expected, little-to-no hop flavors or bittneness; initial flavors that I'm pulling out are sweet malts with sour flavors on the back end, pleasing aftertaste of sour grapes and tannins; little-to-no alcohol flavors, which is impressive for a 10.00% American wild ale

M: 4.25 - high carbonation that pops flavors into your mouth; lightly bodied; again, the alcohol remains well-masked in the mouthfeel

O: 4 5 - one of the better American sour ales brewed with a concoction of yeast and bacteria; there are some really nice flavors and aromas imparted by the aging in cabernet savignon barrels; however, I am a little underwhelmed after seeing a 99 rating on BA; I picked it up for $13.99 in SF, which, to be frank, is too steep for the quality and have seen it for as much as $30.00 in D.C., which, to be franker, is insane

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a fairly clear dark amber with an ephemeral head. No lace. No bubbles.

S - pedio/lacto sourness, big oak, vanilla, currants, pineapple and red wine.

T - follows the aroma. Acetic. Assertive barrel note. Very smooth 10%.

M - light-medium body. Creamy and slightly oily. Dry. Sour, but not super sour.

O - I consider this to be an Imperial Flanders with a twist and a very tasty one. Certainly not the most extreme sour, but that isn't a negative coming from a sour head. Brewed with careful restraint, but far from being bland. Very good beer!

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip glass. Very nice looking beer. Labeled a wild ale and its def a solid sour beer. Not a huge fan of sour beer at this point but i can handle them. This beer is awesome. 10% stands out but the taste is so good. The smell is outstanding.

I believe its worth the hype. His beer would just get better with age. Rating may be higher if i had my wild ale/sours under my belt. Comparing this with Brux, another wild ale. Brux is avg at best, brrr is $$$.

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Consecration pours a gorgeous, deep, ruby red. The head is a slightly tan color but it goes away just as quickly as its poured.

S- Just like its counterpart, Supplication, the wine barrel aging plays a big roll in the smell. Dark, rich, wine notes come through first giving way to the currents added to the mix.

T- Wow. Incredibly sour yet a bit of sweet mellowing on the back end. What a dry taste as well. Cherries, currents, and event an interesting malty sweetness going on.

M- Absolutely no head yet an interesting, effervescent feel to it. Fuller bodied than Supplication yet just as easily drinkable. Still can't get over how dry it is as well. It's in perfect balance.

O- Wonderful beer. Incredibly complex and balanced. So much going on here and yet so simple. Hard to describe but very easy to enjoy...and has an incredible kick at 10.00%... For a wild, I'll take it!.

Serving Type- 12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Thanks for reading.

4.26/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle popped at Yazoo's Embrace the Funk Fest

Great Tawny Port color and nice lacing from a thin cap of head

The aroma of this sour is out of control: tobacco, catty, ashy, faint vanilla, dark fruit, red grape, apple skin, slightly buttery - every bacteria listed on the bottle is represented here.

The flavor is great and balanced with a surprisingly mild tang. I was expecting a wallop, but it is mild and restrained...even a little subtle. Cookie spiciness, leather, acetobacter?? Very dry finish with no residual sugar to fuck everything up

The mouthfeel is vibrant and lively carbonated. Feels great on the tongue.

Thanks to ETF Fest for this sample!

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

375cc cork and caged bottle, batch 004x1, poured into a Russian River snifter at cellar temperature and quaffed today, 5/4/2013

Aroma: Punched in the face with sourness. Tart cherries, raspberry and blackberry all jammed together. A lot of it reminds me of a good red wine (I assume Cabernet) that's gone sour. And definitely sour grapes, vinegar with a touch of earthiness. That part is like being in a barn, but subdued. I'm thinking that's the Brett funk. Full bodied nose for sure. (4)

Colour: Pours a very dark, opaque reddish brown body with minimal head, though one gets mesermized looking at the film on the surface that's got tons of tiny bubbling and bubbling in spots. It's really cool. The collar is actually quite thick, dense and white. The lacing is superbly thick like the collar, but quickly falls back into the collar. Otherwise, a tasty appearing dark ale. (4)

Flavour: Damn! This is why I love wild ales. Refreshing quantities of tart dark fruits- cherry, raspberry, blackberry, plus some honey and a good bit of the underlying brown ale malts. A good bit of vinegar hits in the middle of the experience, which rather accentuates the sweet and sour clash here. There's even a little bit of oakiness and smokiness in the finish. Overall a very complex, tasty blend of sweet fruits and malt, sourness and even more sour funkiness accentuated by some earthy oak. Truly a pleasure to quaff. (4.75)

Mouthfeel: Thinner medium bodied brew with excellent, and I truly mean excellent carbonation. It fizzes all over my mouth, coating my palate with pure sourness and earthy funk. It truly feels like a thicker, sour wine yet it brings more to the table than a merlot that's been sitting out for too long. The carbonation is fantastic and the finish is stunningly fizzly and clean yet it leaves my palate with a nice oaky, earthy aftertaste that I savor. There is absolutely no indication that this beer is a 10%. None. It's almost perfect. (4.5)

Overall: Another awesome AWA by Russian River. It's definitely a beer that any wine lover would enjoy, and absolutely a beer that any sour lover will love. It borrows a lot of characteristics of the used Cabernet barrels, but the base malt really makes itself known amidst all the sour, dark-fruity and earthy funkiness. There's a lot going on here that comes together very well, and it's truly an excellent bottle of beer to drink. (4.5)

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Yet another Russian River beer using Brett. Ugh. I HATE Brett. Of course, the last Russian River beer we drank, also a sour beer, that used Brett was amazing. I hope this one is, too. Sheryl asked me what Brett was. For those of you that don't know, Brettanomyces is a wild yeast strain that is known for having earthy flavors. Think about a barnyard… now lick the ground. That is what that yeast strain is famous for. Some like it… I don't.

Today's beer is aged in red wine barrels, specifically cabernet sauvignon barrels. Not a big wine guy, but know enough about the stuff to recall the flavor of the stuff. Hopefully some of those notes carry over here, too. I like sour beers, and I hope this one delivers. After this bottle, only one more Russian River beer on the list!

In the Glass: It almost looks like Diet Coke in the glass. It is thin, near black, and leaves a very thin white head. No lace to speak of, and the bubbles are so tight that you would think this is soda. I like Diet Coke, so maybe I will like this beer. I actually hope I like this beer, as the typical breadwinners for them aren't that impressive.

Nose: I could smell this as I was pouring it, and all I could smell was sour notes. When smelling the beer itself, it has some dirty/earthy flavors, but I guarantee that is from the yeast. The sour is obvious, but not overwhelming. It smells good. Speaking of smelling good, I REALLY want to start a company making scented candles. They would all smell like beer! Imagine coming home to a house smelling like your favorite IPA! That, or I could just sprinkle hope around the house. Either way!

Flavor: Based on what I was smelling, I didn't expect it to be this sour. But the sourness keeps coming until you swallow. It's a bit too cold, but the sourness is pretty intense. If you don't like sour beers, BEWARE! This is candy tart and leaves a lingering finish that is, with each swallow, just as tart. I like it!!!

I am getting some of those wine barrel notes toward the end. I am sure that some of that are the currants used in the brewing process, but some of those full-bodied characteristics that I expect when drinking a glass of red wine are shining through. It says on the bottle, "4 to 8 months" in regards to the time spent in the barrels. I wonder how the brewmaster decides just how long to age each batch.

Mouthfeel: The first half of the palate is bored, but when the sour flavors start to kick in toward the back of the palate, things begin to get interesting. As this beer is heating up, the sour is starting to become lip sucking sour; almost too much to bear. This is NOT a beer that you will drink more than 1 or 2 of in one sitting. The ABV, coming in at 10.5%, is hidden, so even if you could drink a lot of this, you wouldn't be able to!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste hangs around for a few minutes, and for the first handful of sips, remains quite sour. I would love to give a sip of this to someone that never drinks craft beer just to see his or her reaction. Tom, a buddy from Old Town, is starting to get into craft beer. I bet he would like this offering.

That is two Brett beers in a row that I have enjoyed. Maybe my palate is coming along. Speaking of Brett, I am texting Jazz, a beer nut from Total Wine, and he is sitting at World Of Beer. He goes to ASU and it's close… forgive him. He said someone just turned in an appellation and said her favorite beer was Blue Moon. Ha! I laughed.

Anyway, well done Russian River. You have outdone yourself yet again. We need to plan a trip to California so we can start visiting some of these brewing companies. Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 005X1F. Poured from a 375 ml cork n caged bottle into a La Chouffe tulip.

A- Pours a dark copper, ruby color with a 2 finger tan head. Lots of bubble coming to the surface with minimal lacing.

S- Honey, dark fruits (blackberries, cranberries, raspberries), vinegar, straw

T- Caramel, toasted malts, vinegar, sour dark fruits, oak, spices and light pepper.

M- Medium body and high carbonation. Effervescent, acidic, and some dryness at the finish.

O- 7/10 sourness. Another good sour from RR. Light sweetness, with vinegar and dark fruits make this a well balanced sour. I would take Supplication over this but this is still close.

4.46/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excited to finally try this. Bottling date is "01/31/13," and was consumed today. Batch number is unknown. Poured out of a 375ml bottle into a teku glass.

Pours a surprisingly brownish-amber color that is coated with lightly tinged reddish tones, to the say the very least. The colors seem to be interchangeable depending if it's in the light or not, but it's exactly what I'd expect given the base beer and Cabernet barrels used (as well as the currants). Carbonation is lively depending highly on the pour, but in my case I got about a tiny, modest coat of white head that quickly dissipated and left behind streaks of bubbles underneath. In fact, when extra yeast was added, such bubbles would actually rise to the top and pop! It's clear and viscous like wine or any great Lambic I've had in the past, and is very hazy from the start. Looks very unique, and very intriguing.

The aroma is pretty ridiculous, however, and given that this is a pretty wild recipe to begin with, I can't say I'm surprised what I got myself into. At the front there's an instant charge of mustiness combined with soured, almost pickled fruitiness, consisting of apricots, oranges, sour grapes, lemon, and lots of upfront, jubilant phenols. The currants are definitely doing their job here, although it's pretty subtle, just like the Cabernet vinous phenols are. Lots of oak charges up the nostrils, combined with a lot of funk and stinging sensations caused by all the wild yeasts in this. The Brett is obvious, but the Pediococcus is really sharp here, no doubt due to the wood and wine texture underlying the beer base. Really unique and fascinating, but totally intense.

Wow, the flavor is really something else, not just in the realm of sours, but RR beers as well. There's an instant, overflowing sour sharpness that takes over the palate, and coats it with all kinds of fruity esters, ranging from cherries to berries to apple tart to apricots to acidic sweet grapes... And on and on and on. Absolutely juicy tasting, but it does eventually fade and get melded with grape must and sour bacteria-induced woodiness, and then finishes with a brown ale flavor that is crisp but definitely not as over-the-top as the initial rush. Huge vinegar notes too. The bacteria strains are doing something phenomenal here... But I also have to credit the Cabernet must and white oak for rounding up the flavor to something more complex. The currants don't seem to be very present, but I think they did a good enough job. The oak, in fact, adds this vibrant texture that is very tannic and tea-like, almost to the point where my friend who I split this with told me it reminded her of kombucha. With the yeasty funk and tartness, I can totally see that. Alcohol is scarily hidden at 10%. Refreshing, and crisp to drink. The acidity never becomes grating, although the wood does get overly astringent. Wild and rustic as any beer in this style should be. NOTE: I highly recommend not pouring the dregs into this. The Lactobacillus in particular puckers up the joint in an acidic manner that is interesting but mutes a lot of the subtle nuances.

Wow! This definitely is very different from other sours I've had, and is a totally different beast compared to Supplication, for instance. There's less focus on fruit or tart and lot more on grape must, oak melding properties, and bacterial funk. Not my favorite, but really refined and perhaps unlike any American Wild Ale in the country. I will be sure to save another one of these for a special occasion. It's not as accessible, and definitely for wine fans (such as myself) and of the strange and sour stuff, but it's definitely a must for people looking to get into more ambitious beer styles. World class stuff, in my view.

4.81/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was part of a tasting, and my friend who saved the bottle along with some Pliny, treated me to some of the finest beers I have ever tried.

Okay, this one was a bit over my head as it is true connoisseur Ale, but it was an amazing tasting. Deep ruby red color, strong aroma of stone fruits,nicely effervescent and really wakes up your palate with a tremendous currant flavor that is incredibly tasty, with a nice dry finish.
There is a delectable tartness that is unique to this Wild Ale.

Thanks to great beer friends that appreciate sharing with others!

4.63/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ML corked bottle poured into a snifter glass. 01/31/13 bottling date

Pours a gorgeous copper red color with a ton of bubbles, but the head is not out of control like you would expect from the amount of carbonation. Thousands of tiny white bubbles shoot from the bottom of the glass up towards the top, quite a sight to behold. Just about the perfect looking beer. Aroma is out of this world. Its got sweet cherries and grapes that you can smell from feet away. Taste is so tart, i love it! Sour raspberries, cherries, grapes dominate the palate here. I cannot believe this is 10%ABV, i'm blown away. A lingering tartness on the tongue after you swallow allows you to enjoy the flavor for quite some time. High carbonation, medium bodied. Goes down smooth and leaves you desiring to have another sip right away.

Overall we have a world class beer right here. Russian River really knows what theyre doing and may hold the top spot as best brewery in the world with so many quality offerings. I return to this beer again and again.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap, out of bottles fresh and out of bottles with 8-10 months of aging. On tap, which is the basis for this rating, it was one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had the pleasure of smelling/drinking.

It's a deep reddish-brown color with almost no head. As it sits, there are absolutely no bubbles on top. The smell hits you immediately and it's just unreal. It smells sour, but there is so much more in there. Wonderfully warming oaky notes with some sweetness in the background. You can smell it from across the table.

The initial taste is that of tartness, but just wait a few seconds. Your palate is bathed with this sweetness that is perfectly subtle. The oak erupts and you can taste all those years that these barrels were filled with Cabernet. I don't taste the currants exactly, but I am sure they are contributing to the subtle sweetness.

If it wasn't for my preference towards sweeter Belgian tripels, the taste would be a 5 as well. I cannot imagine many better Wild Ales than this.

This was FAR superior to the bottled versions. I'd buy bottles again, but I will always order it if it's available on tap.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Completely opaque caramel brown color with some visible carbonation and a fizzy light tan head.

Aroma: A tart bouquet of light fruits with a hint of black cherries. There is a very slight oak presence that rounds out the aroma nicely. Something about the aroma feels reminiscent of the warmer summer months.

Taste: A very gentle sour that rewards the palate with hearty flavors of fig, apple, raisin, and black cherry that are all moderately tart. The oak character comes out near the finish and the aftertaste is both sweet and tart with a small amount of heat from the otherwise undetectable 10% ABV. The tartness is at its most aggressive at the start and becomes less and less present from the finish to the aftertaste. Quite a nice balance overall.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than medium on body possible part of an illusion created by the soda-like carbonation. However, it does have quite a smooth and easy drinkability.

Final Thoughts: This is only the third or fourth sour I've had but it was very good and easily approachable for any craft drinker. I would hazard a guess that the oak aging has really smoothed out the flavor. Would I drink it again? Yes, but it's definitely a special occasion type of beer.

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

My second sour, this is fantastic!

Smell of cherries, raspberries, currants and spice.

Taste is delicious, fruity, sour but yet can taste the cab in the back of throat.

Mouthful is medium, lightly carbonated.

Overall, really digging sours, and this is at the top of the list of must haves

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Acquired in a trade from chalupa_batman, thanks!

A- Pours a clear amber body with a fizzy white 2" head that rises and reduces quickly to leave zero lacing or head.

S- Smells similar to the other RR wilds, but it's a little more wine-forward. I get an acidic berry/cherry/fermented fruit aroma with leather, wood, must, and dry red wine. Some spices and vinegar are in the background. Smells awesome.

T- Quite tart with sour cherry, green apple, and woody oak notes upfront that develop into red wine (cabernet is definitely present). Red wine vinegar and musty notes are in the background. Leaves a sour taste on the palette. No booze detected.

M- Medium-light body. Medium-low carbonation.

Another world class impression of the American Wild by RR. The cabernet barrel aging really adds a whole new dimension of complexity to this beer. Well done.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle. Batch 008.

A: Cherry coloration with a very thin lacing of head. The beer is actively moving in the glass; a geyser rises from the middle and and turbulates the beer. Light legs.

N: Sour cherry, currant, powerful acids. Very vinous, plenty of wine grapes, and the oak is noticeable. Light blackberry. New leather and some funkiness.

T: Wow, lots of currants. There's a pleasant sour pie cherry in the background, and the oak and acids are moderated well. Some tangerine /lemon zest. I do get some light tobacco/leather flavors. Grapes and a little bit of raisin. Has a lot in common with the cabernet sauvignon barrel.

M: Light and very, very well carbonated. I am getting a surprising amount of alcohol, though.

O: A sterling beer that I've passed over too many times to count. While off chasing the newest sour from around the block, Consecration beckons us back to its sublime, balanced fruitiness. Delicious.

4.81/5  rDev +9.1%

Batch 005X1E

A - reddish brown, 1st pour was very clear, though the bottom definitely had some murkiness

S - a very pungent sour smell

T - sour cherries, a hint of wine flavors. id note that i originally drank 1 from this same batch 1 year ago and the wine notes are much more pleasant and mellow than they i remember

M -tannin-like mouthfeel, tart though again mellower than i remember

O - a phenomenal sour if you like sours, a nice blend that blends the best of wines and beers

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company